Ono Hawaiian Foods

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2013/07/01 15:44:43
Hi all, I was just informed that business will take me to Honolulu at the end of this month. My hotel is a mere three minutes from a this place that was feature on Triple D. I was wondering if any of the Roadfooders have ever eaten there?
plb
Re:Ono Hawaiian Foods 2013/07/02 08:57:03
Yes, very Roodfoodish. When we went years ago it seemed to have about one half local customers and one half international visitors with travel guide books in hand.

brisketboy
Re:Ono Hawaiian Foods 2013/07/02 09:04:35
Thanks plb. When I was stationed there in the 80s I could count the number of times we went downtown on the fingers of one hand. Seems we never could quite get past the Pearl City Tavern, but now I'll be staying at a hotel within walking distance so there can be no excuses. Lau Lau and ahi poke for me.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Ono Hawaiian Foods 2013/07/02 10:52:09
brisketboy

Thanks plb. When I was stationed there in the 80s I could count the number of times we went downtown on the fingers of one hand. Seems we never could quite get past the Pearl City Tavern, but now I'll be staying at a hotel within walking distance so there can be no excuses. Lau Lau and ahi poke for me.

BB, thats because there was no reason to leave the PCT, what more do you need,Good food,drinks, and Monkeys.......I think you may like Nico's Pier 38, The Shrimp truck on the North Shore, Teddy's Burgers, good burgers, fries and Milk shakes, The Rainbow Drive-in for Shoyu Chicken, check their web site for specials and days they have them. Look into a place that has good Korean ribs, the places change from year to year, ask around......The Aloha Stadium has the Flee mkt, it cheaper than Waikiki, We buy our macadamia nuts there, much cheaper. If you need more let me know...............have fun....it's going to be HOT.......pnwc.......P.S. leave the Hawaiian food for the Hawaiians............eat the Sushi and Sashimi and enjoy........
brisketboy
Re:Ono Hawaiian Foods 2013/07/02 11:14:23
Thanks pnw, I'm sure a great deal has changed since I left there. I have been back several times on business and have tried to get around as much as I could with limited time. My first stop is always Keneke's on the Kalaniol'aole Hwy for Kahlua pig. I remember a triple d program where he featured some guy on the north shore that did awesome Korean short ribs. Last but not least beer and spam musubi.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Ono Hawaiian Foods 2013/07/02 11:53:17
BB,this would be more of a Roadfood place, it's on the otherside of Ala Moana Ctr, it's a side street right behind the Original Pancake house.

Side Street Inn
Late-Night Dining, Home-style, Farm to T...
1225 Hopaka St
Honolulu, HI 96814.................The Pork Chops would be a good choice, be hungry. Kalua pork sliders look interesting..........I would ask for some Aloha BBQ sauce to go with them...........
post edited by pnwchef - 2013/07/02 12:01:16
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Ono Hawaiian Foods 2013/07/02 12:09:56
Hawaii is such a beautiful  place with some great food.  I have been there twice but at my age, the flight there totally wears me out and the flight back is worse.  A beautiful island with some wonderful sights and the only reason I would go there is because of a company meeting.  Too far for a old guy in a small seat although both times I hav ebeen there, it was business class.  Now it is on my own nickel.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
brisketboy
Re:Ono Hawaiian Foods 2013/07/02 12:31:27
You're so right Sundancer. After six winters in Groton Ct, the Navy saw fit to send me to Pearl Harbor for another six years. The company I work for now sends me there occasionally. But it is a hard trip. The direct flight to Honolulu really takes it out of me so I try to overnight in LA. Pnw, I was trying to think of the Ala Moana Ctr but crs makes it hard. 
plb
Re:Ono Hawaiian Foods 2013/07/02 20:09:15
Don't miss the official Roodfood place Leoard's Bakery which is just across the street.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
Re:Ono Hawaiian Foods 2013/08/18 15:50:09
In no particular order my suggestions would be:
* Matsumoto Shave Ice. Yes its touristy, but thats part of the charm.
* Giovanni's Shrimp Truck. The original white-Graffiti Hot Garlic Shrimp
* Rainbow Drive In for locomoco
* Legends in Chinatown for dim sum.
* Side Street Inn but ask for Chef's off menu stuff
* Zippy's; now ur eating like a local
* Costco; belly up to the poke bar and you'll be amazed.