Thinking of investing...

Author
vonworm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2013/07/05 19:58:08 (permalink)

Thinking of investing...

Hello everyone,

My name is Shane, I'm 33 and I'm thinking of investing in the dog hustlin business.

I live in Ontario, Canada. I work a part-time job pressure washing pig stalls. About 20 hrs a week.

I'm starting to spend what little savings I have, so I'm looking to invest. I have
$6000 left. I want to be my own boss, paynmy bills, stop struggling so much. But not many businesses can be started with so little.

Anyone on this forum operating from Ontario, or Canada that could point me me in the right direction?

I have always wanted a concession stand, but cant afford to go that route. So a hotdog cart caught my attention the other day, and im seriously consider. Any Information, tips, pointers etc would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to operate in Hamilton, Ontario. Industrial area maybe.

Thanks in advance.
-Shane
post edited by vonworm - 2013/07/05 20:01:13

5 Replies Related Threads

Rcoy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re:Thinking of investing... 2013/07/05 20:01:30 (permalink)
    Start with the health dept, and whatever passes for L&I in canada. That  should give you an idea of what to expect regulation wise.
    C2CD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re:Thinking of investing... 2013/07/05 20:50:03 (permalink)
    6K should be more than enough to start. check out bens carts dot com, he can give you good perspective on what to expect and what the business is like. The hardest thing to over come in America is finding a commissary. If that is required in Canada and you find they are hard to find and you see a lot of mobile vendors that could be a fruitful investment to just open a commissary and rent it to people, it would be effortless income. Good luck and I hope you find what you seek!
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Thinking of investing... 2013/07/05 21:59:34 (permalink)
    I'm from Michigan and we get CBC, I fished the Algoma region from the time I was 4 till I was 22 every summer, I know how to drive a a Zamboni (well), and I know the names of all the OHL teams so it's like I'm from there. If you are YOUNG, keep power washing!   Learn how to do roofs and low pressure house washes (the right way). Get a hot water rig. Learn trucks and heavy equipment. You'll make a lot more in the long run. If you're not young, look into a cart.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    Re:Thinking of investing... 2013/07/06 02:02:41 (permalink)
    Tristan225
    I'm from Michigan and we get CBC, I fished the Algoma region from the time I was 4 till I was 22 every summer, I know how to drive a a Zamboni (well), and I know the names of all the OHL teams so it's like I'm from there. If you are YOUNG, keep power washing!   Learn how to do roofs and low pressure house washes (the right way). Get a hot water rig. Learn trucks and heavy equipment. You'll make a lot more in the long run. If you're not young, look into a cart.

THIS IS GOOD ADVICE!
    Having learned the hard way, when starting a business---GO WITH WHAT YOU KNOW!!!
    Stay away from what you don't know.
    Started two businesses in areas I was not experienced in. Went Bankrupt with both of them.
    Speedymike
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:Thinking of investing... 2013/07/06 10:40:11 (permalink)
    In Ontario, you don't need commissary. You can wash you pots at home. You have to prepare the food at the cart. Check with health department. If you can find a spot with NO food establishment within 200 feet. you MIGHT get a permit. Good luck. I am in Niagara falls planning to do the same thing.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1