water pump ac or dc?

Junior Burger
2013/07/07 01:32:33
We own a concession trailer, and our old pump just burned out (middle of a 4th of July event!).  I hated that pump because it was really loud, and we'd get complaints about it.  We also noticed it was DC, and at most events, we hook up to spider boxes.  We purchased a Shurflo 2088 AC today, hooked it up to a plug, and it sounded just as loud as our old one.  I want to buy a shurflo whisper king, it's supposed to be really quiet. 

So my question is, do we have to go with an AC water pump, since we're hooked up to electric most of the time (rarely ever use our generator, and don't have battery)? Or would a DC pump work, especially since they are less expensive?  And how do other trailers keep their water pump quiet?  It's located almost right below the serving/ordering window, and in order to relocate we would have to do some major plumbing issues.

Thank you for any advice!
MurphyR
Junior Burger
Re:water pump ac or dc? 2013/07/07 10:41:39
I installed this model in our truck: SHURflo 2088-492-444 Park Model Fresh Water Pump
It's 120v and really quiet since its target audience is the RV guys.
Much of the noise from pumps are the harmonics or vibration of surrounding materials. Always mount the pump on rubber feet of some kind cushion material. Also make sure the panel or board you mount it to is thick and rigid so it doesn't vibrate. You can lo build a "dog house " to set over top of the pump. Line it with some sound deadening material.
Do make sure you have air flow round it for cooling.
I'm getting redy to add a 12 v unit as a back up pump.
sarvissa
Junior Burger
Re:water pump ac or dc? 2013/07/07 11:15:55
that makes sense.  We didn't mount the new one yet, my husband was holding it in his hand, I was about 15 feet away plugging it in.  In both of our opinions, it was WAY too loud and no improvement over the old one.  Do you believe that if it were mounted (with rubber feet), hoses attached and water running through it, that it would be quieter?

And thank you for your response!
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:water pump ac or dc? 2013/07/07 12:50:09
I use the Shurflo 2088-594-154 for my pork injector and the noise level depends on where it's placed. On my SS sink it makes a ton of noise, but on my SS counter (which is very solid) it's not a problem.

That said I have to ask how often is it running? Are you using it for water transfer to your sink or is it hooked up to some equipment that kicks it on and off frequently through out the day?

Jack
sarvissa
Junior Burger
Re:water pump ac or dc? 2013/07/07 12:56:15
It runs every time we turn on the water... so when we wash our hands (frequently), or fill the coffee maker, or fill the sinks to wash dishes, etc.  It transfers water from the fresh water tank to the hand washing sink and the three compartment sink. 
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:water pump ac or dc? 2013/07/07 13:17:47
But you didn't give me any idea how often that is? Are we talking one or twice an hour for 1 or two minutes or 5 times an hour for 5 minutes.I have an older very noise pump top fill my water tank but it's not used but once or twice a day so who cares. LOL But in my truck I'm going to the Shurflo 2088-594-154. It is a work horse that just seems to last forever and what ever noise it causes doesn't bother me.

Anyway the above points are on target :
Murphy wrote Much of the noise from pumps are the harmonics or vibration of surrounding materials. Always mount the pump on rubber feet of some kind cushion material. Also make sure the panel or board you mount it to is thick and rigid so it doesn't vibrate. You can lo build a "dog house " to set over top of the pump.
sarvissa
Junior Burger
Re:water pump ac or dc? 2013/07/07 14:01:29
I would say 5+ times an hour for 1-2 minutes each... long enough to wash hands or fill up a coffee pot.  At night it's on for quite a while filling up the sinks for washing dishes and spraying them off. 
roadkillgrill
Cheeseburger
Re:water pump ac or dc? 2013/07/07 15:08:51
I would say 12v. Mine is wired dual with an A/B switch. A= to 12v battery bank, B= to ac to dc wall wart. Just make sure the wall wart is large enough to handle the amperage, or just use an inverter.
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:water pump ac or dc? 2013/07/08 03:06:15
The pump in one trailer I have D/C with a wall wart.get some rubber insulation to wrap around your pipe under the sink that will quiet it down a lot.also if it's very close to the sink you could be picking up a vibe from the pump making a sound on your sink.
MurphyR
Junior Burger
Re:water pump ac or dc? 2013/07/08 08:26:23
Do you have room for an accumulator tank?
Once pressurized with water, this will cut down on pump running SIGNIFICANTLY, which will cut down on noise and EXTEND pump life.
These are available in various sizes from 1 pint to multiple gallons.
Every mechanical water pump should have one.
sarvissa
Junior Burger
Re:water pump ac or dc? 2013/07/08 11:07:48
I will definitely look into an accumulator tank. 

The pump was across the trailer (trailer width 8 feet), closer to the tongue, and underneath the trailer, so it was a ways away.  We are going to move it to a new location without having to do too much reconfiguring.  The water tank is on the tongue of the trailer, we are building a wooden box on the tongue, putting the water pump in there (with plenty of airflow) and putting the tank on top of it.  That should baffle a lot of the noise.