~ Twinkie shelf life to nearly double after relaunch

Filet Mignon
Re:~ Twinkie shelf life to nearly double after relaunch 2013/07/09 10:27:38
Shelf life or half-life?
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:~ Twinkie shelf life to nearly double after relaunch 2013/07/09 15:36:40
but they are using "better" ingredients. My paper said that the food cost for cupcakes is up about 9%, but they can make it up in other areas. A former friend who has moved from the area used to be in the ingredient biz (still is ?? he took a transfer), and he said that Little Debbie used the best raw materials, and drove a hard deal to buy them.

I've gotten fat, but not on Hostess, Little Debbie or the like. They just are not very good. For me, $3 for a fresh really nice cupcake is a better deal.  A local gal makes great ones. She is fairly new to the biz, but she got a lot of help from her dad, a bakery pro. He says that the secret is no secret........real, unsalted butter,  really fresh eggs, and no mixes.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:~ Twinkie shelf life to nearly double after relaunch 2013/07/09 18:52:29
The increased shelf life was implemented so that the twinkies can now be shipped to the warehouse and then the grocery or the kwik-e-mart.

Before twinkies were shipped directly to the distributer and they filled the shelves.  Now twinkies will go from the bakery to the food chains warehouse and then to the stores.

This allows more stores to carry twinkies, and hopefully in turn will raise their profits from their sale.
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:~ Twinkie shelf life to nearly double after relaunch 2013/07/20 10:05:12
Saw them on the shelf at my WalMart. I didn't buy any. It will be interesting to see how they re-establish the brand. The pull date looks to be about 30 days.

A neighbor is a Drakes retiree. He says that he never made a "lot" of money, so his "smaller" pension was protected in the bankruptcy. He IS a little bitter though. In his opinion it was more crappy management and leveraged debt than the union that killed the company. He IS glad to see the brands divided again with Drake competing with Hostess like it was for most of his career. He said that it was more fun to hate Hostess than to end up on the Hostess team. 

Speaking of team switching, it is sort of sad to see some of the best Celtics of my life time having to end their careers in another uniform