Hot!Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhandle

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2434
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/22 04:08:22 (permalink)
WJ, lovin' this report already!  I feel as though I were there for some of it...!  I checked out the menu for the 66 Diner and the Pile-Up was on my mind but we never made it there. 

BB, Dayna and I both loved the Paleteria despite the somewhat dicey neighborhood.  Perhaps it added to the allure?  I did see a sign at a scrap/auto yard across the street that said "KOENIGS" and I thought that perhaps The Travelin' Man was trying to reach out to us from the East Coast!

I think Dayna and I may have run into Chris & Amy while out in NM, but where, oh where...?  That photo of the brisket & links plate at Tyler's is just perfect!  Dyer's looks pretty awesome too.  And those photos at Palo Duro really showcase the natural beauty.  Well done.  I am so jealous of your Texas travels.  Wish I had thought to take a day in Texas.  We did have a layover in Houston and had some decent brisket and ribs at Real Food in the Bush Airport but I'm sure it pales in comparison to that from the iconic barbeque spots across the state.  Strawberry-Habanero ice cream sounds right up my alley. 

Mar52, that WJ just seems to pop up everywhere!  You know you've made it when you have your very own bobblehead doll. 

Given that you and TTM were there for my first-ever pastrami on rye at Katz's Delicatessen and because of our stop at Satellite Coffee in ABQ, you were there for my first cup of coffee in 13 years, it will most likely turn out that you and TTM will be on hand when I order my first-ever chicken fried steak!  CTD and BB will also be there to ensure I don't miss any other items on the menu that must be tried including the pie (as it MUST be a place that serves PIE!!). 

I have some pictures that I'll add soon but I was experimenting with an unfamiliar camera and many shots didn't come out as well as I had hoped, including many of the meal at Harry's Roadhouse.  D'oh!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10389
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/22 07:42:54 (permalink)
The lighting at Harry's Roadhouse was some of the worst I have ever experienced in years of taking food photos.  Still, the happy group of nine had a wonderful get together.  I am still kicking myself for not ordering the Vietnamese Caramelized Catfish that Mrs. ChiTownDiner ate.  How many chances in life will you get to see that on a menu?
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/07/22 07:45:59
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/22 07:50:44 (permalink)
Just realized that I'm the one who ended up with the group photo from Harry's on his camera.

From left to right, Patti (Mrs. CTD), ChiTownDiner, billyboy, Dayna, myself, Mariton, RalphMelton, wanderingjew, cousin Johnny.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7892
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/22 08:21:06 (permalink)
buffetbuster

The lighting at Harry's Roadhouse was some of the worst I have ever experienced in years of taking food photos. 

In recent memory, The Brat House in Milwaukee (pitch black) The Old Fashioned in in Madison (with a red hue) and The Ajax Diner in Oxford MS (with a green hue) are right up there.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2978
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/22 13:21:08 (permalink)
That table looks mighty empty...I believe tornado warnings had just been issued! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/22 18:41:15 (permalink)
CTD-
I do notice that the front table legs look a little wobbly from all the food it had to support on that end!
billyboy
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/22 22:48:39 (permalink)
BB, we definitely did some damage of our own with all those slices of pie on our end of the table!  Let's see: I had the Chocolate Cream, Dayna had Apple, Ralph had Strawberry-Rhubarb and I know you wanted the Peanut Butter Banana cake but I think Greg or got snagged the last slice.  Did they bring you out a slice of Chocolate Cream?  

I tried all of the pies we ordered, even some of the Blueberry and Coconut Cream.  Not a weak one in the bunch. I thought Dayna might stab my hand with her fork as I kept sneaking bites of her Apple pie crust!  All top notch crusts and the fillings tasted so fresh and vibrant.  Some of the best pie I've had in quite a while.  The waitress even said that she applied for a job here after coming for dinner and really loving the pies!  I couldn't stop talking about the pies all night and was swooning over the pie case in front before we left.  I would totally come back here just for the pies.  My only regret is that we didn't order the Pecan pie or a slice of the totally awesome looking Lemon Meringue!

As far as the main event is concerned, I had the Smoked Tri-Tip with chipotle sauce and succotash which I didn't like as much as I thought I would have.  Dayna had the Turkey Meatloaf with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and collard greens and her whole plate was a home run.  Buffetbuster ordered the fried chicken with potato salad and grilled corn on the cob coated in what I think may have been a chipotle butter.  Very tasty chicken.  Ralph Melton offered me some of his stacked enchiladas with red chile and it was quite good.  I did try some of the Ranchero Hanger Steak that Wanderingjew and ChiTownDiner had and it was very crusty, tender, juicy and packed with lots of flavor.  I started out the night with a tart and sweet fresh squeezed lemonade (which seemed to be a theme for me on this trip) and an appetizer of tortilla soup.  I really loved this soup but I wish I had taken notes so I could better describe it in more detail.  Ralph also had it so perhaps he can elaborate.  

As much as I loved the food and atmosphere of this out of the way spot, my favorite part of this meal was reconnecting with old friends Buffetbuster and Wanderingjew and finally meeting Ralph Melton, ChiTownDiner and his wife, Patti, Mariton and Cousin Johnny!  Such a wonderful night with great food spending spending quality time with terrific people!!  Happily, we were able to break bread a number of times over the next few days and even meet up with some other great Roadfooders.  Hope to do it again soon!
post edited by billyboy - 2013/07/22 23:10:00
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/22 23:01:36 (permalink)
billyboy

BB, we definitely did some damage of our own with all those slices of pie on our end of the table!  Let's see: I had the Chocolate Cream, Dayna had Apple, Ralph had Strawberry-Rhubarb and I know you wanted the Peanut Butter Banana cake but I think Greg or got snagged the last slice.  Did they bring you out a slice of Chocolate Cream?  

I tried all of the pies we ordered, even some of the Blueberry and Coconut Cream.  Not a weak one in the bunch. I thought Dayna might stab my hand with her fork as I kept sneaking bites of her Apple pie crust!  All top notch crusts and the fillings tasted so fresh and vibrant.  Some of the best pie I've had in quite a while.  The waitress even said that she applied for a job here after coming for dinner and really loving the pies!  I couldn't stop talking about the pies all night and was swooning over the pie case in front before we left.  I would totally come back here just for the pies.  My only regret is that we didn't order the Pecan pie or a slice of the totally awesome looking Lemon Meringue!

I think I actually dreamt about pie (and other desserts) that night.
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1727
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/23 00:40:15 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Just realized that I'm the one who ended up with the group photo from Harry's on his camera.

From left to right, Patti (Mrs. CTD), ChiTownDiner, billyboy, Dayna, myself, Mariton, RalphMelton, wanderingjew, cousin Johnny.

I have taken the liberty of taking this down to my local post office and ask that it be spread through out the land.......what a lively happy group for no food on the table!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/23 06:11:03 (permalink)
Here is billyboy on the way OUT of Harry's Roadhouse

An hour later, we found him in the exact same position!  Also after the meal, here is ChiTownDiner

confirming that yes, he did order everything off page two of the menu!

My fried chicken was fine,

a little on the dry side, but the potato salad was the star of the plate.  Since Mariton loves corn, the cob went to her.  The best entrée I sampled was Dayna's meatloaf.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/07/23 06:12:30
billyboy
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/25 07:34:20 (permalink)
BB, yeah that meatloaf was pretty great.  Especially that mushroom gravy.  I was totally digging that Ranchero Steak too. 

Thanks for the wistful pie shot.  I had a hard time pulling myself away from that counter! 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/25 19:32:32 (permalink)
Good lord I've gotten fat over the last two years...and being asked not to tint my hair hasn't helped either....

I was all ready to begin chapter 5 when I was "told" by flickr that they would be down for maintenance till 10pm. Well, I'm usually getting into my jammies and getting ready for bed at that time so that ain't going to cut it... looks like this will have to wait till Sunday...
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6437
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/26 13:20:55 (permalink)
buffetbuster

CTD-
I do notice that the front table legs look a little wobbly from all the food it had to support on that end!

BB & CTD - That cant be the right table, where was the real table with all the food or did you have to add an extra buffet table to hold it all? 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/28 19:53:42 (permalink)
Saturday July 6

Not sure who would get up early enough, it was a nice surprise to get a text from Billyboy when I first woke up inquiring if anyone would like to go to The Frontier Restaurant....I had planned on making one stop on this trip anyway, now is a better time than ever... We hadn't heard from the sleepy heads Ralph Melton and Ice Cream Chick so we figured they decided to get some extra shut eye..

Billyboy, Dayna and I made a quick stop at Satellite Coffee, a local coffee house chain,     for my first large cup..... I even convinced Billyboy, a coffee frowner to try one of their coffee drinks and he liked it...

Located in the heart of the UNM (university of New Mexico) neighborhood along historic Route 66, we finally we got here.

The Frontier Restaurant

One thing I hadn't noticed on my previous visit  was the interesting artwork on the side of the building

The food here is fine..however the atmosphere is second to none with wagonwheel fixtures, John Wayne Photos and other interesting western motifs. Although the frontier looks small from the outside, there actually several large rooms 

The ordering process is  easy enough. You order at the counter, you get a number and you pay for your meal. you then go to a different counter and wait for your number to be displayed and you pick up your meal.

I had the huevos rancheros...

"Christmas Style" which means both red and green chile...... for my first Huevos Rancheros of the trip, it was certainly a fine choice but I had an even better  version (with even more heat) later on in the trip..

After breakfast we went just around the block to Winnings Coffee...

for an even better cuppa joe....I just had to take a photo of the cool signage...
and  the cool drawing of the coffee cup head inside

After walking around the neighborhood, we took the short drive to Albuquerque's Old Town..

This is a really interesting part of town with southwestern and native american craft, jewelry and souvenir shops, as well as restaurants..

(notice the cowboy hats)

There is also an open plaza with Native Americans selling their wears....

There was some type of event going on that day...Several food vendors were set up. There were keynote speakers and as well as live performers that were setting up..

This specific speaker caught my attention as he reminded me of the iconic New Mexican when I briefly lived in Albuquerque right after college way, way back in 1987.

As much as we would have liked to have stayed, lunchtime was fast approaching and Ralph Melton and Ice Cream Chick were going to meet us at our next stop...

Mary and Tito's Cafe

I had done some research, and this place always popped up on yelp and urbanspoon receiving high remarks. 
When Buffetbuster had mentioned in a series of messages prior to the trip that Mary and Tito's received the James Beard Award, I just knew this was on the top of my list to check out..

As we were waiting for Ralph and Lori, the chips and salsa arrived. The salsa packed some pretty good heat. It was reminiscent of the the salsa that I remember at the now defunt and sorely missed M & J Sanitary Tortilla Factory.

We also ordered some Chicharrones to share for the table....Firm and meatly with a slightly crispy exterior and full of oinky flavor...

Mary and Tito's are famous for their stuffed sopapillas. So its obvious that was the way to go...
I ordered mine stuffed with Carne Adovada and although the choice was "red" or "green", red was recommended by the wait staff so that's what I went with..

The sopapilla, clearly homemade was light and billowy.. The red was probably some of the most flavorful of the trip...

The carne adovada was also incredibly flavorful and fork tender....
i can vouch that everyone was pleased with their meals..

One thing that caught our curiousity was the cake that was in the display case...We asked about it and was told it was Mexican Wedding cake... We ordered a slice to share at the table...

This dense moist cream cheese frosted cake was comprised of nuts, pineapple and I forgot what else...My only regret is that I didn't get one for myself to go... It was probably one of my favorite desserts of the trip...(besides that coffee take from Harry's the night before...

Mary and Tito's was truly another highlight and one of my favorite stops of the trip...

After lunch we went back to the hotel... I did end up having another local brew at the bar adjacent to the hotel later on that afternoon..

Now I'm sure you're all wondering why are we all here in New Mexico?

I should probably leave everyone hanging.... but I wont....

Two of our most enthusiastic  roadfooders that share one screen name decided to tie the knot in New Mexico....Many of you know who Chris and Amy (Ayersian) are... 
The ceremony took place in Corrales....just outside of Albuquerque...It was a beautiful, interesting and wonderfully unique and creative ceremony.....I only took photos on my cell phone so I don't have any to post....(I'm sure others will) 
And to top it off this was definitely the most "regionally appropriate" wedding I've ever been to- Not only was there local beer from New Mexico and neighboring Colorado, but the food was catered by  Garcia's... And it was wonderful...You certainly can't get more regional than that...

I was so happy and honored to be apart of Chris and Amy's milestone and I know every one else was too and we most certainly had a blast ...It was truly a memorable event....

Much more to come...

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/07/28 21:55:14
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2978
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/28 20:31:49 (permalink)
That dessert does look good!  Amazing how many good Roadfood places there are down this way...We didn't even make it to Mary & Tito's....and look how many places between us we conquered! 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/29 08:13:17 (permalink)
I will finish out this trip report...

This will be my last trip report.

I will continue to do the  year end best of reports 

Thanks to the few who have responded both on here and by pm

The forums have taken a different turn and its not good   therefore its time. I've  had  a 10 year run and I've clearly lost the battle 

It is now obvious to me that the silent majority have  spoken...
post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/07/29 08:23:26
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/29 09:04:00 (permalink)
The food from Mary & Tito's looks fantastic!  You can almost taste the red chile on the stuffed sopaipilla or the porky goodness of the chicharrones.  Great photos!  I am still kicking myself for never finding the time to eat there during our trip. 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5141
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/29 09:06:39 (permalink)
Hmmm...something tells me these meals were better than Banquet's frozen enchilada dinner.  A lot better.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18629
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/29 09:53:44 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Hmmm...something tells me these meals were better than Banquet's frozen enchilada dinner.  A lot better.

How could that be possible?

Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/29 11:45:26 (permalink)
Everything at Mary and Tito's was very good.

The chicharrones in particular were the best that I've ever had. (Not that I've had a lot, but these were head and shoulders above all others I've had.)

I also really liked the Mexican wedding cake, which was new to me.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/29 14:52:25 (permalink)
wanderingjew

I will finish out this trip report...

This will be my last trip report.

I will continue to do the  year end best of reports 

Thanks to the few who have responded both on here and by pm

The forums have taken a different turn and its not good   therefore its time. I've  had  a 10 year run and I've clearly lost the battle 

It is now obvious to me that the silent majority have  spoken...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/29 14:54:22 (permalink)
That stuffed Sopapilla has been making my mouth water just looking at the screen, I can't even imagine how the wonderful porky scent would make me drool.
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1727
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/29 16:53:11 (permalink)
WJ..stick around.....some things come...............some things go........Some of us just stay and get moldy.  For every post of "crud' there's 10 of "great"(many by yourself!)

It would be a cold "blue plate special" without you
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/29 17:50:25 (permalink)
Thanks everyone...

I'm not going away... I just think there's a better alternative to the long drawn out trip reports which are very time consuming....I think it will also free me up to do some restaurant reviews...
I have 3 more chapters to conclude  and then I'll explain....
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/29 18:30:33 (permalink)
First you dazzle us with that sopapilla, then you delight us with Chris and Amy's news, then you drop the bomb that this will be your final trip report!  WJ - what would we do without your trip reports!??  I know it takes time and effort, but your reports are greatly appreciated.  You serve us up a slice of Americana with every picture and description, every coffee shop and baseball diamond, every scrumptious meal and city scene.  Keep all this in mind as we await your explanation!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6311
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/29 19:25:06 (permalink)
Whatever you do in the future, I'm sure it will be great. I always look forward to you detailed and photo-superior trip reports .  I've lived vicariously through you for a lond time. Hope to enjoy some more in the not to distant future.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8474
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/29 20:10:03 (permalink)
If that is your wish, WJ, than I respect it. It makes me kinda sad, but that's my problem. I learned to respect you and your opinion of food and places over the years, and that fueled my desire to meet you for dinner in Milwaukee. And my happiness of seeing you again in Mobile. Travel on, my friend.
Cynder
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/30 01:12:06 (permalink)
WJ - I'm from the very silent majority and I love all of the trip reports and yours are some of the best.  I haven't been aware of negative feedback about trip reports.  I enjoy this site every day and appreciate every report (especially if pie is mentioned).
karilyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/07/30 09:55:36 (permalink)
I typically open up this forum before I read the daily paper . . . lifts me up before I face the struggles in the world!  I find your reports worthy of a pulitzer . . . or two as you support your words with amazing photos.  Maybe I should have put down my mug and put my fingers on the keyboard more often to shout out praises!!!  I'm sure your new direction will be equally satisfying but your trip reports will be missed!!!  
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/01 17:57:14 (permalink)
I'm  thankful knowing that there are those who appreciate the time that goes into these reports... I know that a streamlined highlighted report may not be as colorful as a full fledged report but unfortunately that's one of the downfalls...
I'm going to continue with chapter 6
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 7 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1