Hot!Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhandle

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6188
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 06:35:10 (permalink)
This is one hell of a report. A great area of our country...great food and great scenery!!!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 07:36:18 (permalink)
I like the sound of breakfast appetizers! 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 07:37:41 (permalink)
WJ - when you got off the tram, was the area still closed due to extreme fire warnings?  We could only walk around the boardwalk section and the restaurant.  I would have liked to explore the trails a little bit. 
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 08:37:55 (permalink)
wanderingjew

I thought it would be a shame to leave Las Cruces and not have an other opportunity for a chile releno...

Therefore I decided to leave no stone unturned and asked for a chile releno appetizer (at breakfast) and I'm so glad I did....Between Las Trancas and Nellie's there is no doubt that both were the best I've ever had...
After looking back at all the different items again I think that if I had to pick one thing you ordered the rellenos would be it.  They really do look good!  Does Nellie's offer them as both an appetizer and an entree?

And your Sandia Peak shots are terrific!  It's easy to have a mental image of New Mexico as a flat, arid wasteland when that's clearly not the case in real life.

Another great job, WJ!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7669
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 08:53:52 (permalink)
buffetbuster

I completely forgot to mention the Doghouse- I didn't eat anything there but that chocolate-cherry shake certainly hit the spot...

chi town diner

unfortunately the trails were still closed when we got there so we too were just limited to the boardwalk..

Mr Chips and TexasCajun.... Thanks... My future reports are going to be formatted similar to the Roadfood Digest Reports- focusing on the highlights...with a list of other places visited. If someone would like an elaboration  of anything on the list I will then provide a detailed description... therefore a more "condensed" trip report which would free up some time to consider doing more restaurant reviews.

Screaming Chicken

New Mexico has probably some of the most breath taking scenery in the country..

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/08/12 08:56:31
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 14:44:05 (permalink)
wanderingjew

I kept my promise and completed this trip report.. As you are all aware due to apparently a lack of interest by others... this will be my last...

Welcome home!......and I do so wish that like the Rolling Stones, Tina Turner, etc, this won't be your last!  And thanks for the heads up on Iggy's!  Alas, didn't get to the crowsnest as my Brother-in-law keeps his boat in a marina that also has Chela's.  Had three clam cakes that looked like Golfballs on steroids, but I'd be surprised if there was a 1/2 tsp of clam among them! The Clam chowder was ok, but the fried shrimp were cardboardy.  We did get a nice trip through Greenwich harbor on the boat before hand with the weather cooperating.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10074
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 15:21:37 (permalink)
wanderingjew

I kept my promise and completed this trip report.. As you are all aware due to apparently a lack of interest by others... this will be my last...

Here is my two cents about this.  If you are doing trip reports for any other reason than because you enjoy doing them, then stop.  This is supposed to be fun. And if it isn't, you shouldn't be doing them.  You don't owe anybody anything, so don't feel obliged. 

As someone else who knows how much time and effort goes into doing these, I know it is always more fun when you get feedback.  Whether it is a question or a compliment, who doesn't like to read how they are doing?   But, I write trip reports because it gives me a creative outlet to write and show my photos, plus an opportunity to joke around with friends.  Less people responding to it won't make me write less in the same way more people responding won't make me write more.  This may sound selfish, but I do the trip reports for my own enjoyment, hoping of course, that others will enjoy them, too.

Not too long ago, I was feeling burned out because I was in the middle of a third big report in a row.  I felt bored, uninspired, so taking some time off was the thing to do.  After a few months break, I am back doing the California report again and having a great time of it.  Maybe you need to take a little time off and hopefully you will feel the same. 

If after a break, you don't feel inspired to do a trip report again, well, you will leave a lot of people around here disappointed, with me at the front of the line.  Because your reports are on the short list of very best things about this site.  But that isn't your problem or concern.  Go do what makes you happy.  And if it turns out that this is what makes you happy, then we will again look forward to reading about your travels!          

post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/08/12 15:24:45
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6626
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 15:29:37 (permalink)
I'll be Disappointed Roadfooder Number 2, right behind Cliff.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 15:45:15 (permalink)
WJ,  I think that you should use your efforts, in whatever new way, in what gives you the most enjoyment on Roadfood.  Good luck and, most of all, have fun on this great site!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18257
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 15:53:41 (permalink)
WJ, I get to visit some great places vicariously because of your efforts. I hope you'll get your groove back. Count me among the disappointed.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 16:36:32 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

WJ, I get to visit some great places vicariously because of your efforts. I hope you'll get your groove back. Count me among the disappointed.

Yeah What He Said
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6188
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 20:31:17 (permalink)
WJ, I'll third that, too. I've travelled to some great places and seen some great food through you. I'll miss those wonderful reports and hope someday they'll return. Thanks for each and every one you've given us.
                            Lee
agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/12 21:22:48 (permalink)
Great report! Sorry you have decided this is your last.
Southern Fried
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/13 12:20:03 (permalink)
wanderingjew

I do not understand why WJ feels that there is a lack of interest by others in his trip reports. It makes him sound like he has some Woody Allen-like insecurity.

As of today, this thread is nearing 11,000 hits after being posted for only about one month. That sounds pretty good to me. Can someone explain WJ’s dissatisfaction?
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/13 14:47:30 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

I like the sound of breakfast appetizers! 

CTD - Somehow I knew YOU were the one to mention this.  I on the other hand would be in total agreement with you on this one though!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/13 18:38:47 (permalink)
Hey everyone, I really thank you for your support and words of encouragement

As I've noted previously, I've been very very busy with life (especially work) for over 3 months now,    and it has left me physically drained and burnt out...
I'm sure that has alot to do with it... Thankfully I just found out that my load at work is going to ease up a little

Although I appreciate those who do respond I know there are others that choose not too- yet I see them all over other folks trip reports and I wonder why?...  I've noted previously that it seems that the non roadfood threads (what's for dinner, lunch, etc) get the most attention responses and even now more than 10 years after the interactive forum was launched it still leaves me (and others who are too nice to say anything) dumbfounded ..

As I said previously, I'm not going away for good- I'll continue to post "trip highlights" as well as my end of the year best of list- that won't change....However I believe that will also free me up to do some restaurant reviews when I feel inspired (if we ever get back our restaurant review editor)
I'm leaving tomorrow for a 5 day trip with Sandra to Amish Country, Pittsburgh and Scranton- I look forward to getting together with several Roadfooders 
on this trip.... Most of the places I'm going to I've already posted about in previous trip reports.... If there is a new place or something new that I'm trying for the first time  that deserves some attention you will hear about it...

Thanks again!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/13 19:00:00 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Although I appreciate those who do respond I know there are others that choose not too- yet I see them all over other folks trip reports and I wonder why?...  I've noted previously that it seems that the non roadfood threads (what's for dinner, lunch, etc) get the most attention responses and even now more than 10 years after the interactive forum was launched it still leaves me (and others who are too nice to say anything) dumbfounded ..

I agree with you.  A personal opinion, but I don't care what anyone is eating for breakfast, lunch or dinner, unless I am invited!

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/13 20:16:11 (permalink)
I, too, live thru your roadfood experiences. I have stated before that I would miss you horribly, in this venue. However, I know we will meet up again-twice in 3 years! You are a true roadfood friend who went out of his way to meet me-and invite me......xoxoxox=Thanks!
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/13 20:34:12 (permalink)
wanderingjew

As I said previously, I'm not going away for good- I'll continue to post "trip highlights" as well as my end of the year best of list- that won't change....
Since your real-world life is becoming really demanding I think this'll be a good change.  A full-blown trip report takes a lot of time and effort (as you well know) and I think that you'll do just as well with the shorter/quicker "highlights" format.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2391
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/14 03:13:22 (permalink)
WJ, I looked at how I worded that entry after you mentioned it.  I had actually adressed it to Ralph but it did look like I had said he was at Frontier with us!  I do wish I had taken better notes about the who, what, when and where while we were in NM.  On the plus side, I did manage to update my Photobucket account so I hope to start my portion of this report by the weekend.  Apologies in advance for the quality of my photos! 

Regarding the Buckhorn, what "other stuff" did they leave off?  That burger looks fully loaded! 

Chile rellenos is the one dish I didn't have while in NM and looking at your photos from Nellie's and BB's from Padilla's I wish I had ordered it at least once.   

What gave you the impression I was nervous and scared on the tram ride up the Sandia Mtns.?  Was it the river of sweat running down my back?  Or perhaps the dent my hand made in that pole as I engaged it in a "death grip"?  Not a huge fan of heights (yet I LOVE roller coasters!  Especially sitting in the first car, completely terrified.)  For some reason, being able to look straight down just freaked me out.

post edited by billyboy - 2013/08/14 18:00:42
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/14 07:17:05 (permalink)
billyboy

Regarding the Buckhorn, what "other stuff" did they leave off?  That burger looks fully loaded! 

Actually I had wished  that I had asked to leave that other stuff off the GCCB so I could appreciate the GCCB "au natural"

billyboy

What gave you the impression I was nervous and scared on the tram ride up the Sandia Mtns.?  Was it the river of sweat running donw my back?  Or perhaps the dent my hand made in that pole as I engaged it in a "death grip"?  Not a huge fan of heights (yet I LOVE roller coasters!  Especially sitting in the first car, completely terrified.)  For some reason, being able to look stright down just freaked me out.

Oh probably because you jumped up and landed in Dayna's arms and she had to carry you the entire ride up
pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2357
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/15 20:41:29 (permalink)

WJ, there are many people on this site that can't travel. These people enjoy your comments, pictures and food reviews. If your going to judge the success of your trip report by the amount of people that didn't respond, you may be missing the boat, by not seeing the quality of the comments coming from your Roadfood friends who do reply.....................If you make just one persons day a bit brighter with your trip reports, I would say you have succeeded.......................pnwc
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7761
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/16 01:17:01 (permalink)
Outstanding report, Dale.  I wish I could stay in  a city and tour the different places like you do.  I'd try everything you ate and pass on the things you didn't like.

Those chile sauces have me salivating.  Glad to see that you did both green and red and sometimes both.

What an ending.

Hoping for more.
billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2391
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/19 02:29:08 (permalink)
Nice one, WJ!    Going up in that tram, I did feel a bit like pulling a Scooby Doo when he gets so scared that he leaps into Shaggy's arms! 

I have to say, great call on Padilla's, man!  I was really blown away by that place.  So unassuming on the outside but just fantastic, homemade food.  Right after we ordered, I went to use the restroom which was in a corner of the kitchen.  Someone was in there so I waited and could see a woman turning something in a cast iron skillet and across the hall I spied two 5-gallon buckets filled with dried red chiles that were soaking (presumably in water) to be made into sauce.  Both of these things made me very excited for our meal as it really seemed that a lot of care went into using fresh, local ingredients and making most, if not, everything by hand. 

I loved that guacamole appetizer, especially the presentation with the chips already in it like little sharks!  Buttery, creamy, spicy and chunky, just how I like it.  I did like guacamole prior to this trip but for many years I had suffered through so many bad renditions that resmebled art class paste.  To me, guac is one of those dishes where less is more.  Not too many ingredients and the less mixing/processing the better.  I first had it prepared tableside a few years ago at Rosa Mexicano in NYC and was blown away at how truly amazing it could be. 

The sopaipillas with honey drizzled on top were fantastic and that dessert really was just like horchata pudding.   

BB, thanks so much!  The feeling is mutual and Dayna really did enjoy meeting you, Mariton and Johnny and hanging again with WJ (she had previously met he and Sandra with me for dinner at the Second Ave. Deli last November).  I wish I had taken notes but I believe that my dinner choice was a combo plate consisting of a beef taco, tamale and enchilada with rice & beans, smothered in green chile sauce.  I distinctly remember not wanting red as I had tried it a number of times at various restaurants on this trip and found it to be pretty intense and found myself preferring the subtler flavor of the green.  Everything on this plate was really good and just tasted really fresh.  I would put Padilla's on my must stop list for my next trip out here.  Thanks for the great conversation WJ, BB and Mariton!

I didn't really "get" what you were saying about the neon at the Doghouse as it was light when we arrived.  Once it became dark, it all made sense.  I think Dayna took a shot that almost matches yours.  Love, love, love that neon.  Such a tiny spot in what seemed to be a somewhat sketchy neighborhood.  That chili was pretty hot right from the get go.  I wasn't thrilled with the flavor either.  I'm a big fan of "chili sauce" style chili on hot dogs (think a wet meat sauce) and this tasted and felt closer to Hormel brand.  I also had a chocolate-cherry shake which was quite good and definitely helped to cool me down. 

We all parted ways at this point as we were flying back to our respective cities the next day.  It really was so great to spend some quality time with you all and to be there to celebrate with Chris & Amy.  I look very much forward to our next meet-up!

WJ, I have to echo what BB said about your decision to not write any more trip reports.  I have phases where I get burned out and don't have any for a while and it definitely is more fun when there is lots of feedback.  Given the that amount of Roadfooders who write trip reports is very small compared to the total amount of people who are members on the site, I think that it's easier for many RFers to relate and repsond to threads that they can connect with on a personal level rather than ones about trip and places they may never have been or may never visit. 

I've been reading over your "Beach Bums & Bleached Blondes...", "Rocky Mountain Highs and Big Skies...", and your "Heartlanding Through the Breadbasket..." in particular many times and they never fail to inspire me. I would count myself among the many who would feel that something is lost if you didn't write them anymore but you have to do what feels right for you. 
post edited by billyboy - 2013/08/20 14:00:29
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/08/28 12:53:07 (permalink)
So, I'm a little late to this party, but better than missing it entirely!

Looks like a very fun time with good friends, a lot of great scenery and yes--some baseball thrown in!  I really like that photo of everyone at the table.  What a wonderful way to do things--that's a big reason we engage in "social media" so we can meet people who share some of our interests and passions, but who are also from very different walks of life. 

I appreciate that you all spend time at these locations, too.  You don't just breeze in and out, which is something I've tended to do, unfortunately, as I'm usually on a tight travel schedule.  I clearly miss a lot that way, but then I learn where to try next time by reading trip reports and reviews!  We definitely do each other a service by sharing, I think.

You hit some of my favorite places--the Stockyard Cafe in Amarillo being one that particularly stands out.  I loved that place.  I've also been to Frontier--loved their posole, but, like you, not so much the cinnamon bun.

Another fun thing about this report was the tour of sopapillos!  Who knew?  And the mince one with ice cream sounded/looked outstanding. 

Thank you (and all who are contributing) for sharing this fun trip with us!
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/09/02 07:30:32 (permalink)
Good stuff, WJ
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/09/02 08:13:12 (permalink)
My two cents is don't stop. Reading about your experiences is one of the best things about the website, I know u r busy in your personal life and your withdrawal from the site not unusual but i hope u will reconsider. 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/09/02 09:38:56 (permalink)
WJ - can you keep adding to this thread...then your not really starting anything new!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/09/02 11:52:11 (permalink)
Excellent report, WJ. Know that if I don't comment on one of your threads, it's just because I have read it and you make me so hungry I had to go out and find some good food myself!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Magnificent Memories in the Land of Mañana and................... a Piece of the Panhan 2013/09/02 20:13:38 (permalink)
Hey, 

Everyone thanks again for your comments...

Alot of it was the "stress from work talking" luckily there was a solution to ease things up a bit on the work front.

I will be posting a very brief highlight of our Pennsylvania trip sometime this week

Billyboy,

I found it intriguing that those were the past trip reports you chose to look at
My personal favorite is still this one...

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/09/02 20:15:57
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1