Pittsburghese

eruby
  • Total Posts : 585
  • Reward points : 0
Pittsburghese - Mon, 07/15/13 9:38 AM
Article and video in the Post-Gazette on speaking Pittsburghese.  Hope yinz enjoy it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/life/lifestyle/pittsburghese-song-a-hit-on-youtube-694841/

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Pittsburghese - Mon, 07/15/13 2:58 PM
Thanks!

For giggles, here is what Pittsburgh looked like the first time I beheld it exiting the Liberty Tubes; this was 1947, but it hadn't changed much by 1955:

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9774
Re:Pittsburghese - Mon, 07/15/13 3:09 PM
Cute little video.  Thanks for posting the link eruby.  Boy, you don't get a much more Pittsburgh name than Ron Romanovsky.  It is a little curious that they use yunz in the video when everyone knows it is yinz.

I have never seen an area so proud of their accent as Pittsburghers are.  Truthfully, the sound of it can hurt your ears a little. 

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6208
Re:Pittsburghese - Mon, 07/15/13 3:15 PM
MJ
My mother worked "dahntown" around that time as a legal stenographer.  She said the lawyers would bring an extra white shirt to change into after lunch, there was that much soot and smoke.
Now if yinz don't mind I'm gonna go make a chipped jumbo sammich.
bb
In Beaver County it's yunz.  Cracks me up whenever I go back.  I agree it is a little grinding on the nerves.  My father always said "Saeurdy" instead of Saturday! 
<message edited by lleechef on Mon, 07/15/13 3:53 PM>

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9526
Re:Pittsburghese - Mon, 07/15/13 11:24 PM
Here's another article on the subject:
http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/pittsburghese/
The authors attribute much of the source of Pittsburghese to the early Scotch -Irish.
In my hometown St. Marys, 135 miles north of the Burgh, we have a "Diamond' in the center of the town.
Always called it that but never knew why until now---70 years later!

buffetbuster
Re:Pittsburghese - Tue, 07/16/13 6:59 AM
lleechef

bb
In Beaver County it's yunz.  Cracks me up whenever I go back.   
I stand corrected.  Never heard that before.  Does that mean people from Beaver County are "yunzers"?

MetroplexJim
Re:Pittsburghese - Tue, 07/16/13 9:21 AM
Foodbme

Here's another article on the subject:
http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/pittsburghese/
The authors attribute much of the source of Pittsburghese to the early Scotch -Irish.
In my hometown St. Marys, 135 miles north of the Burgh, we have a "Diamond' in the center of the town.
Always called it that but never knew why until now---70 years later!

When I was a kid, it was always "Diamond Square" or "The Diamond".  I had no idea that my early 18th. Century Scot ancestors were the source for that - and many other - "Pittsburghese" words and phrases.  Thanks, Jim!

I do know they hated the English and purposefully settled West of the Allegheny Mountains hoping that natural barrier would 'protect' them. 

After Geo. Washington put down The Whiskey Rebellion", many sought safety in the hills and mountains of W.VA and Western KY.  I guess that's why I love the T.V. show "Justified".  It's kinda like 'old home week'!

buffetbuster
Re:Pittsburghese - Tue, 07/16/13 9:38 AM
MJ-
I had never heard of the term diamond being used for a public square until recently.  Doing some research into hot dog joints in New Castle, PA, the one place bills itself as being "on the diamond".  This led me to do a little bit more research.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17801
Re:Pittsburghese - Tue, 07/16/13 11:03 AM
Diamond, eh. Interesting. To me a town square is a Green. At least, that's what it was always called in Connecticut.

lleechef
Re:Pittsburghese - Tue, 07/16/13 11:52 AM
Never heard of a diamond.  Maybe that's because Rochester and all the surrounding towns didn't have a "town square". 
Another famous line from the Burgh... "Djeet yet"?

MetroplexJim
Re:Pittsburghese - Tue, 07/16/13 6:02 PM
buffetbuster

MJ-
I had never heard of the term diamond being used for a public square until recently.  Doing some research into hot dog joints in New Castle, PA, the one place bills itself as being "on the diamond".  This led me to do a little bit more research.

In the 1950's we always referred to that which is now known as "Market Square" in Pittsburgh as "The Diamond" or Diamond Square (which I now realize is redundant).  The surroundings were known as "the Diamond District".  (Back then, the Diamond Market was a market, not a restaurant/bar; when my grandfather took me to town we always ate at the Original Oyster House).  Being a kid, I was always looking for a bunch of jewelery stores or maybe even the Hope Diamond!  I had no idea that 'diamond' was an old Scot term for town square.

We moved to New Wilmington in 1962 and went to New Castle several times a week to shop.  In my seven years there I never heard it referred to as a 'diamond'.  It was always "The Square" or, later "Kennedy Square"; believe it or not, in those days Protestants persisted in just calling it "The Square". 

In college at Westminster we would visit "The Square" several times a week to visit M&P Coney Island for Chili Dogs, fries, and BEER.  The ever gracious and generously endowed waitress, Mary, always served us even though she knew we were underaged:  "If you're old enough to be drafted, you're old enough to have a beer - or as many as four".  And yes, she kept count.  God Bless her!  The 'hot dog chef' had very hairy forearms which he used to line up six buns before filling them with dogs and chili, but even that was part of the delightful ambiance.

Even though New Castle has lost more than half its population since 1960, M&P Coney is still there on The Square.
<message edited by MetroplexJim on Tue, 07/16/13 6:04 PM>

lleechef
Re:Pittsburghese - Tue, 07/16/13 6:41 PM
I've been to M&P Coney in New Castle.  Last time was probably 1978, the year I graduated from Westminster.  And as New Wilmington was dry we would enjoy a beer.

Treetop Tom
  • Total Posts : 321
Re:Pittsburghese - Tue, 07/16/13 10:39 PM
I have to admit I always thought the word "jagoff" was derived from the common homophone for "self-gratification."  Turns out it has a different etymology altogether.  Live and learn.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7379
Re:Pittsburghese - Wed, 07/17/13 7:18 AM
At least folks in Pittsburgh admit to having an accent, unlike those folks from the Great Lakes Area and  Northern Midwest who actually have accents so thick you can cut it with a knife

buffetbuster
Re:Pittsburghese - Wed, 07/17/13 7:47 AM
MJ & lleechef-
M & P Coney was one of the hot dog joints in New Castle that I visited.  Over the last month, I have made three separate trips to NC to check out some Roadfoodish restaurants, but didn't write about it, because I didn't think anyone would be interested. Maybe I will now.  There was one place in particular that is especially Roadfood-worthy.

MetroplexJim
Re:Pittsburghese - Wed, 07/17/13 8:45 AM
buffetbuster

MJ & lleechef-
M & P Coney was one of the hot dog joints in New Castle that I visited.  Over the last month, I have made three separate trips to NC to check out some Roadfoodish restaurants, but didn't write about it, because I didn't think anyone would be interested. Maybe I will now.  There was one place in particular that is especially Roadfood-worthy.

Please do!

The last time I was in 'NECA' was in 2010 and I was heartbroken that my favorite 'joint', The Villanova Inn, had closed.  It was a 'divey' bar with a dining room attached for 'family dining'.  They had magnificent pizza and excellent pastas + all the "Western PA" specialties, like meaty wings (far better than Quaker Steak) and 'fill your plate' fish sandwiches.  Oh well, when the population falls from 60,000 to 23,000 over fifty years, something 'has to go'.

Now that all the mills have closed, the largest employer in town is Jameson Health System ( http://www.jamesonhealth.org/ ) which dominates health care for the remaining aging population.  The funeral business is booming, too.  Sorry, but I am deeply saddened and depressed to see one of the great industrial areas on the planet in its death throes.  At least my beloved Pittsburgh has adapted, thanks to Pitt, CMU, UMPC, and the philanthropy of Carnegie, Frick, Benedum, Hillman, and the Mellons.

So, yes, please do share about NECA.
<message edited by MetroplexJim on Wed, 07/17/13 8:48 AM>

lleechef
Re:Pittsburghese - Wed, 07/17/13 10:39 AM
bb
Please write about NC!  I haven't been there since college days.  We seem to head south to Pgh. than go north.
MJ
Do you remember The Tavern in New Wilmington?  You had to be all dressed up and of course they didn't serve any alcohol.  My roommate's father (they were from NYC) used to grumble, "You gotta have a Senior Citizen's Card to go in there!" 

lleechef
Re:Pittsburghese - Wed, 07/17/13 10:52 AM
Do yinz know what Pittsburgh surf 'n turf is?
Catfish out of the Mon and a hunk of kohlbasi.  That and a 6-pack of Irn City and you're all set. 

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17801
Re:Pittsburghese - Wed, 07/17/13 11:05 AM
MJ
Next time you're in Western Pennsylvania and want some meaty wings head for a bar called Marbul's on the border of Rochester and New Brighton. They have the biggest wings I've ever seen -- I think they're really from pterodactyls. I  don't eat wings, but every time we go lleechef orders them, and never manages to finish her order of six.

lleechef
Re:Pittsburghese - Wed, 07/17/13 11:13 AM
Everything is BIG in W. Pa......fish sandwiches, chicken wings, steak salads.  I can never finish a meal when we go there.

eruby
  • Total Posts : 585
Re:Pittsburghese - Wed, 07/17/13 12:23 PM
My wife, SIL and niece say mummy for mom.  Makes me want to shoot myself in the eye with a gumband.

MetroplexJim
Re:Pittsburghese - Wed, 07/17/13 12:51 PM
lleechef

MJ
Do you remember The Tavern in New Wilmington?  You had to be all dressed up and of course they didn't serve any alcohol.  My roommate's father (they were from NYC) used to grumble, "You gotta have a Senior Citizen's Card to go in there!" 

Over the years I have eaten there many times - as recently as 2010 with the new owners -and remember it fondly and well.

When we moved to New Wilminton in 1962 it proudly advertised that it was "Recommended by Duncan Hines"; then, it truly was a regional restaurant drawing clientele from Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Youngstown.

Some time after the original restauranteur/owner Cora Durrast - who had operated it for 66 years - and "Chef Dean" passed, it closed in the early 2000's.  However, it reopened in 2009 under new ownership and it appears to be doing quite well: http://tavernonthesquarerestaurant.com/ .

Yes, New Wilmington is still dry (there is most likely still a chapter of the WCTU active there!), but the Tavern is BYOB. 

lleechef
Re:Pittsburghese - Wed, 07/17/13 1:07 PM
MJ
Thanks for the update, I will have to take Michael there sometime!

buffetbuster
Re:Pittsburghese - Wed, 07/17/13 1:15 PM
Did you know that The Tavern once appeared in a Jane & Michael Stern book?  It was the 1986 Roadfood and Goodfood book.  Shortly after picking up a copy of that book (maybe 2010), I drove up to New Wilmington and had a lovely dinner there, in conjunction with some shopping at the Grove City outlets.  The thing I remember most about that dinner was the impressive selection of homemade desserts.
<message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 07/17/13 1:24 PM>

lleechef
Re:Pittsburghese - Wed, 07/17/13 1:29 PM
I did not know that!!  The thing I remember the most were the sticky buns.