When you design a dish, how do you usually approach it? Do you think my idea would help?
Hey guys, I've been a lurker on this forum but only until recently that I register for an account. A lot of users on this forum have extensive background in cooking, restaurant operations etc. so I would be really grateful if you can share you thoughts and experience on this matter.
Alright, so recently some of my engineer friends and I have been working on a [free] online tool that's designed for recipe users. What the tool does is basically about enhancing your experience [with recipes] in 4 steps:
1. Create or simply copy and paste a recipe onto the input page
2. The recipe is assessed, then assigned an overall taste score (our program takes care of this step for you)
3. Freely modify each recipe to better suit your preferences (nothing special here, just recipe editing), or get ideas from our ingredient suggestions (based on tastes, aroma compounds etc). This means you will have hundreds or thousands of ways to add/ swap ingredients in a recipe to improve the dish
4. Once you are done, use or share the recipe
The value of this tool would be 1) to simulate how a dish would turn out, before you have to go through the whole preparation and cooking process
2) provide you with lots of suggestions to add/ swap ingredients, thus explore different ways to enhance a dish
*as you use this tool, the algorithm will learn your preferences so future suggestions will be tailored to you
It might be especially beneficial to restaurant owners, as they have to design & test dozens of dishes before offering them to customers.
Technical aspects aside, my question is, in your opinion how likely would typical recipe users, or yourself, integrate this online tool into the cooking process?
To chefs & restaurant owners out there, would you be interested in using this tool to design/ overhaul existing recipe(s), and potentially introduce this new dish to your customers?
I'm just trying to validate this idea, and would appreciate any input or suggestions. If you don't feel like giving your ideas in public you can pm me or contact me through my homepage :)
post edited by mhkyeung - 2013/07/16 13:23:48