Hot!"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/11 01:47:16 (permalink)
Anything about the October Chicago dates? I truly wish I could come up in September, but I'm going to Alaska for 10 days at the end of August and won't have any more leave until October. At least none they will let me use. I doubt my boss would believe a preplanned illness requiring a trip to milwaukee.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4177
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/11 02:32:53 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken,
I thought you weren't available for the 22nd?  If that's changed, then great, nobody's left out.

pcdiva,
abe and I need to sit down and work that tour out.  August has been an especially busy month for me, and has kept us from having that meeting.  We'll get around to it, don't worry.  It will definitely be October 19th or 20th, because that's the only weekend the Chicago event takes place.

If you've looked over the list and have any buildings that particularly strike your interest, please feel free to chime in.  We'll do our best to include as many suggestions as possible, based on location and time restraints.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/11 10:23:27 (permalink)
Nothing's changed; I still have something planned for the 22nd.  But as you pointed out, this is MFL's idea and he should be able to participate, and I have a pretty good (maybe perfect?) attendance record this year so missing one event is no big deal.  Therefore, I vote for the 22nd.
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/13 04:50:18 (permalink)
I have no clue what to see or do, I just want to hang out with everyone. I'm not good on stairs right now, but I have no problem hanging out waiting for folks if there are places that aren't too accessible.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/14 01:05:58 (permalink)
I am interested in doing both. Will do some research & come up with suggestions later this week.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/21 18:33:25 (permalink)
This tour is just a month away and it's time to kick the conversation into high gear.  MilwFoodlovers sent around a list of potential stops.  Take a look and offer your thoughts.

Buddy

http://doorsopenmilwaukee.org/buildings/

Basilica of St. Josaphat

• Address: 601 W. Lincoln Avenue
  • Hours: Sat. NOT OPEN Sun 1:30pm - 5pm
  • Charles Allis Art Museum

• Address: 1801 N. Prospect Avenue
  • Hours: Sun 1pm-5pm
  • Chudnow Museum of Yesteryear

• Address: 839 N. 11th Street
  • Hours: Sat 10am-4pm and Sun 12-4pm
  • Humphrey Scottish Rite Masonic Center

• Address: 790 N. Van Buren
  • Hours: Sunday 10am-5pm
  • Add To Your Map Irish Cultural and Heritage Center/Grand Avenue Congregational Church
  • Address: 2133 W. Wisconsin Avenue
  • Hours: Sat & Sun 10am-5pm

Jewish Museum Milwaukee (Evan & Marion Helfaer Community Service Building)

• Address: 1360 N. Prospect Avenue
  • Hours: Sat NOT OPEN and Sun 10am-5pm

Mackie Building / The Grain Exchange Room

• Address: 225 E. Michigan Street
  • Hours: Sun 10am-4pm
  • Marquette University / St. Joan of Arc Chapel

• Address: Located behind the Memorial Library - 1335 W. Wisconsin Ave.
  • Hours: Sat 10am - 5pm
  • St. Joseph Convent Chapel

• Address: 1501 S. Layton Boulevard
  • Hours: Sat 11am - 5pm
  • Tripoli Shrine Center

• Address: 3000 W. Wisconsin Avenue
  • Hours: Sat 10am – 2pm and Sun 10am – 5pm
  • Villa Terrace Decorative Arts Museum

• Address: 2220 N. Terrace Ave.
  • Hours: Sun 1pm-5pm
  • Watts Building

• Address: 761 N. Jefferson Street
  • Hours: Sat 9am – 5pm and Sun NOT OPEN
  • Wisconsin Black Historical Society

• Address: 2620 W. Center Street
  • Hours: Sat 9am - 3pm Sun NOT OPEN

• Wisconsin Conservatory of Music

• Address: 1548 N. Prospect Avenue
  • Hours: Sunday 10am-5pm
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2013/08/21 18:36:53
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 645
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/22 22:41:42 (permalink)
    What would a good starting time be for the non-Milwaukee crowd?

I've rearranged the sites you listed into neighborhood/area clusters, roughly from north to south. I also threw in a few more sites that may be of interest. I left out the places on the list that aren't open on Sunday, presuming that's the day you're coming up here.

If we pick from these possibilities, it might be best to start off downtown, because the sites with the earliest opening times are concentrated there.

After starting off with some eats, we could do the Humphrey and/or the Mackie (and/or maybe another place), then grab some grubs again before heading to the Tripoli Shrine, then grab a bite to eat on/near the south side, then see the Basilica, and then finish with dinner somewhere on the south side. 

I've interjected a few restaurant/market/bakery ideas, just to get the ideas spinning.

NORTH POINT / GOLD COAST AREA (EAST SIDE):
    * Villa Terrace (1-5 pm)
    * Jewish Museum (10-5)
    * Charles Allis Museum (1-5)

[Food options near North Point/Gold Coast include Glorioso's Italian Market, Peter Sciortino's Bakery, Comet Café (tough to get a seat sometimes), a couple of cafes on Brady, and various other possibilities. These places are convenient to downtown, too, and could serve as rendezvous sites]

DOWNTOWN AREA (East of River):
    * Humphrey Scottish Rite (10-5)
    * Mackie Bldg (10-4)
    * (Cathedral) (12-5)
    * (City Hall) (9-5)
    * (Mitchell Bldg) (10-5)
    * (Gas Light Bldg) (10-5) 

DOWNTOWN AREA WEST / MU AREA WEST:
    * Chudnow Museum (12-4)
    * Tripoli Shrine Ctr (10-5)

[Downtown East/West food options are limited on Sundays, but among possibilities are Buckley's, Classy Girl Cupcakes, and España Tapas House; just a scone's throw from downtown is the Third Ward, with options such as the Milwaukee Public Market, Smoke Shack (don't know if it's open Sundays), Kasana Café, Bavette la Boucherie, and other places. The Marquette U neighborhood may have some places worth investigating, too.]

SOUTH SIDE:
    * Basilica St Josaphat (1:30-5:00)

[Anything good on the south side that's open on Sundays would work before and after the Basilica, such as El Salvador Restaurant, A&J Polish Deli (if open and worth going to), Lopez Bakery, and lots of other places. And heck, after the Basilica we could even go to a place in Southwest Milwaukee, West Allis, or Greendale, on the way to Kopp's.]   
    post edited by quijote - 2013/08/22 23:56:30
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/23 02:13:45 (permalink)
    Not to speak for the entire Flatlander branch of The Contingent, but 11am seems like a reasonable start time.

I'm pushing for Sunday the 22nd because that's the only day MilwFoodlovers can participate.  Also, because that's the only day the Basilica is open.  But, just in case, I made sure I've got both Saturday and Sunday off from work.  If MFL can't do the Sunday, we might consider rescheduling for Saturday when ScreamingChicken is available.

My only question would be the parking situation for the downtown stops.  Not sure how tough it will be in downtown Milwaukee, but I can tell you, for the Chicago tour, abe and I will be looking primarily at stops outside the downtown area.  Keeping the group together, and finding inexpensive parking in downtown Chicago will be a major headache.  If that's not an issue for Milwaukee, then full steam ahead!

Buddy
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/23 12:08:09 (permalink)
    Milwfoodlovers, are you on for Sunday, then?

If not, then the tour can take place Saturday, if that's what people want. I won't be able to participate for much of Saturday, but I'll make an appearance at some point. Still, I don't mind helping to organize the tour.

There should be no problems with parking downtown on Sunday. Saturday is generally not so bad, but it depends on what else is going on. A large share of the Doors Open historical venues are downtown, so it would be a shame to skip it altogether. If downtown looks like a crowded area on Saturday, we can always rendezvous somewhere else and then caravan/car-pool around.

If the tour is Saturday, the Basilica and Cathedral won't be on the list, but other things will be.

But we should nail down the day first.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/23 21:31:21 (permalink)
    We might have better luck getting an answer from MFL through Facebook.  I'm not on FB, so anyone else who's a friend of MFL...

Buddy
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/25 08:16:50 (permalink)
    I actually posted on Saturday but I'm still not Windows 8 savvy as I deleted my post when I hit the wrong button; disgusted I went to bed. OK, try #2. I wanted Brad, Kathy, and anyone possibly coming to Milwaukee on Saturday the 21st to  know that they would find all sorts of interesting foods available at the 2 fests I'll be splitting my time at. The Global Union Festival is at our Humboldt Park which is located on Oklahoma Ave on the south (3100 S), Montana on the north, Howell Ave. on the west, and Logan on the east. http://alvernopresents.alverno.edu/store/product/global-union Free, it will have quite a few food vendors. The Bay View Bash is just blocks away on Kinnickinnic (called KK) between Potter and Clement. http://www.bayviewbash.org/ Savvy RFers have already visited this area  home to Honey Pie, Groppis,  Chocobella, and others. It will have a wide variety of tasty food but I'm most looking forward to the Korean taco truck.
    Q did a great job of putting the Open Door Milwaukee sites in a manageable group and I'd just like to add a few dining choices to the mix. If Mexican seafood  appeals to you La Canoa can easily handle a large group and it is just blocks from St. Josaphats. However Gyp, Miss Beth, and I Saturday had baleadas at El Salvador just across the street from Josaphats. Baleadas are incredibly delicioso and are cheap with the regular being the one to order.
    http://www.foodspotting.com/places/1882-la-canoa-milwaukee This pic is NOT a regular but the con carne version which I believe is carne secca which is a bit salty and covers up the taste too much http://www.foodspotting.com/reviews/3968170 These are some tough choices so I'd share a baleadas, share the Salvadorian national drink (like a liquid strawberry jello but in the best way) and head over for some seafood. If you go downtown, a Marquette U and also an Eastown location RF standby is also open both days. If you like Green Bay's Chili John you will probably love Milwaukee's Real Chili. http://realchili-milwaukee.com/ If I were coming to town Saturday I'd suggest taking Oklahoma Ave to Howell Ave., turn north to Montana where the park ends,  drive east until you are past the park maybe a block or two and find parking.  Back track to the park or head east maybe 3, 4 blocks and you are at the Bash; you would be centrally located to both. Exhausted and satiated I'll be available Sunday for as many things we cram in, all those choices are worthy.
    post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2013/08/25 08:19:12
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/25 09:59:30 (permalink)
    It looks like Saturday might work better for more people, but it depends on how badly visitors may want to see the Basilica (not open for touring on Saturday) and other sites. There are some Open Door sites open on Saturday that aren't available on Sunday, too.

Of course, you could come over for both days-- Saturday for the Bay View Bash and Global Union and maybe a couple Open Doors places, and Sunday for more Open Doors.

stricken_detective
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/08/28 14:57:30 (permalink)
    There's always brunch @ Polonez on Sunday for a certain birthday boy's birthday.
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/01 12:59:09 (permalink)
    Just thought I'd bump this a little. Is there more interest in doing a combo of Doors Open and street festivals on Saturday, or a more focused Doors Open itinerary on Sunday? Any preferences from anyone about the day of the tour? Locals? Flatlanders? Non-MKE Badger Staters?
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/01 19:10:54 (permalink)
    I'm going to exclude myself from the entire Sept. 21-22 weekend.  We're already going to be in MKE on Sunday so I'd rather not drive out on Saturday as well; nothing against the company but that's a lot of road time for me as well as the loss of an entire weekend.

However, I'm definitely in for the Chicago tour at this point.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 699
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/01 22:30:19 (permalink)
    I am good with whatever those more knowledgeable than I decide.  
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/02 01:23:23 (permalink)
    quijote Just thought I'd bump this a little. Is there more interest in doing a combo of Doors Open and street festivals on Saturday, or a more focused Doors Open itinerary on Sunday? Any preferences from anyone about the day of the tour? Locals? Flatlanders? Non-MKE Badger Staters?
    I've managed to get both Saturday and Sunday off, so we can conceivably do both.

I'm all for playing it loose on either day, but I think we need to have a clear "road map" laid out for the Doors Open tour.  Not necessarily a timetable, just a clear path from one location to the next with logical eating stops in between.  We might want to hit a few specific times for those buildings with limited open hours, but the rest can be done at a leisurely pace.

The most important thing right now is that we get a sense of who is going to join the tour.  Also, a little feedback from the interested parties.  Where's that Contingent enthusiasm?

Buddy
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2563
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/02 10:18:54 (permalink)
    Sorry Buddy, I'm in NC that weekend & I don't know if Pie Diva can be trusted without me.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6326
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/02 11:52:53 (permalink)
    I'd like to join you guys sometime. I've already got 16,000 miles on the camper van this season so what's a few more?   Unfortunately, we are heading out to Kansas next week for a Class B camper van social and then on to Southern Utah's national parks.
    irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 606
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/03 17:11:03 (permalink)
    If I'm feeling really energetic- Saturday is a maybe.
    Sunday I am otherwise committed to that "other" food-related picnic 
    I would love to see everyone- it has been too long.
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/04 22:31:09 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

I'm all for playing it loose on either day, but I think we need to have a clear "road map" laid out for the Doors Open tour.  Not necessarily a timetable, just a clear path from one location to the next with logical eating stops in between.  We might want to hit a few specific times for those buildings with limited open hours, but the rest can be done at a leisurely pace.

Here's a basic proposal for Sunday, referring back to an earlier post of mine and taking into account some suggestions. this is a mix of Doors Open venues and restaurant/other food sites:

10:30-11:30  Meet up at Glorioso's and stop by at Peter Sciortino's (both on Brady Street)
    12:00-1:00  visit Mackie/Grain Exchange Bldg and/or Scottish Rite Bldg and/or Cathedral
    1:15-2:15  visit Tripoli Shrine
    2:30-3:15  Real Chili (near Marquette U)
    3:30-4:30  visit St. Josaphat's Basilica
    4:45-->  El Salvador Restaurant; maybe La Canoa after that? Lots of other places around, too, for a flexible schedule

In order to make a visit of the Basilica viable, we need to get there around 3:30pm (it closes at 4:30 pm) The other elements are pretty flexible. I think the Tripoli Shrine and the Basilica are pretty good crowd pleasers, but I don't know what preferences are for the first building stop (12:00-1:15). So, maybe we can visit two of the three places listed; they're in close proximity to each other.

Of course, this is a collaborative effort, so any ideas to improve the plan are welcome.

post edited by quijote - 2013/09/04 23:16:16
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/04 22:44:28 (permalink)
    Without knowing anything about any of those places (except what you told us about the Tripoli Shrine the last time we saw you, Q, and that the Basilica is that big place kitty-corner from that Serbian- or was it Polish?  Either way, it was good!- place we went to), that sounds good to me.
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/04 23:02:25 (permalink)
    I've just posted a basic framework for Sunday, so here's a basic outline to work with for Saturday.  In addition to Doors Open venues and a couple of restaurant sites, I'm incorporating the Global Union Festival and the Bay View Bash (starting mid-afternoon) into this schedule. Feel free to request changes or add some ideas. As I said before, I won't be able to participate in parts of the tour (esp. the morning), so the tour should reflect the interests of those who attend.

11:00-12:00  Jake's (has Buddy been here yet?) for corned beef, pastrami, etc.
    12:15-1:15  visit the Gas Light Building
    1:30-2:15  Milwaukee Public Market (which is part of Doors Open this year) or, if the visitors have already been to it, Kasana and/or Bavette in the Third Ward
    2:30-3:15  visit the Mitchell Building (downtown near Third Ward)
    3:30-4:15  visit Clock Shadow Building and Purple Door Ice Cream in Walker's Point
    4:30-6:00  the Global Union Festival at Humboldt park, Bay View
    6:00- ??  Bay View Bash on KK Ave.; food for sale and nearby restaurants/other to choose from
    post edited by quijote - 2013/09/04 23:04:05
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/07 21:54:37 (permalink)
    Buddy and I went over the Open House Chicago list yesterday and I've created a Google map of all the sites we thing are worthwhile.  We haven't yet researched any food for those neighborhoods, so this would just be the buildings.

Would it be better to wait to post it until after the Milwaukee tour so this doesn't get too convoluted and confusing in here?

quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/08 00:29:08 (permalink)
    It may be a good idea to wait. I'm still wondering who all plans to come on Sat and/or Sun, and if the suggested itineraries seem okay or need modifications. Getting into the Chicago thing right now could confuse things a little, I suppose, but it depends on how soon we confirm the Milwaukee plans.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/08 01:54:22 (permalink)
    Count us in for Sunday for sure, Saturday, probably.

Due to pure chance and happenstance, I've got a nine day stretch of "vacation" time built around that weekend.  Our current plan is to wander about the Dairy State for a good chunk of that time, making sure we're in Milwaukee for the Tour Weekend.

Anyone else ready to commit?  So far we only know JRPfeff and ScreamingChicken are definitely unavailable.  Don't make me send out PMs looking for you people.

Buddy
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/08 22:11:50 (permalink)
    I have both days open, but I'm undecided if I'll do both or one of them.  If everyone else wants to narrow it down to one day, we'll go then, but I'm not ruling out doing both days.

stricken_detective
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/14 02:52:51 (permalink)
    Can we get a date & a headcount?

Start time is 11AM. This is next weekend.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/14 14:33:09 (permalink)
    Count Mrs. Roadfhouse and me as two for sure on Sunday.

Saturday will be a work in progress, depending on where we are in our travels around the Dairy State.  We'll keep you posted as we get closer to Saturday.

Buddy
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/14 23:12:01 (permalink)
    It looks like Sunday the 22nd is on for sure, as the Roadhouses have confirmed. If anyone else plans to come along, please say so, and we'll have a basic itinerary ready for you at Glorioso's. I'll post info soon on directions to Glorioso's.

So far, those confirmed for Sunday the 22nd are:

quijote (2)
    The Roadhouses (2)

It seems that Saturday the 21st is iffy, as no one has committed. But if anyone plans to come to Milwaukee that day, please say so and I'll post info on the stops. Since I won't be present at many of the morning and early afternoon stops, I can just post directions and other info here. We can exchange phone numbers by PM so we can meet up later in the day at the festivals.
    Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1