Hot!"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5155
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/23 11:55:44 (permalink)
abe_froeman

So, without further adieu, here are the architectural sites my dad and I have picked out.
Given Chicagoans' current inability to get along, could you please mark with a "K" any sites where Kevlar body armor might be required?  Many thanks!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2719
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/23 19:47:46 (permalink)
Bobbi & I should be good for one day of the Chicago tour.  We are looking forward to seeing the list of gastronomic stops.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8497
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/23 20:13:21 (permalink)
Gyp-thanks for the offer of a ride-didn't see it til too late-next time I will PM. Hoping the Chicago trip will work for me-THAT is one tour I want to join!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4275
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/24 01:59:23 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken Given Chicagoans' current inability to get along, could you please mark with a "K" any sites where Kevlar body armor might be required?  Many thanks!
A full gang truce has been called for that weekend out of respect for the toughest gang in town: The Contingent!

JRPfeff
Bobbi & I should be good for one day of the Chicago tour.  We are looking forward to seeing the list of gastronomic stops.
  The food stops will be based on the locations of the final architectural picks.  So, check out the list and voice your opinion.

FWIW, our experience on this weekend's Milwaukee tour proved we can make a whole lot more architectural stops than food stops.  Our original Chicago plan was to hit 5-6 buildings and 4-5 food stops.  I think we can almost double the number of buildings and maybe add a couple more food stops, if we find places that are worthy of the group's attention.

Buddy
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/09/30 20:35:45 (permalink)
Right now that weekend is fine.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 610
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/06 20:32:25 (permalink)
That weekend is fine for us too, would love to go to Robie House and Oriental Institute
If we go Sun, there is great dim sum at Furama just S of Chinatown and they have parking...
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/07 00:51:51 (permalink)
abe_froeman and I will be meeting a couple times over the next two weeks to finalize plans for this tour.

In the meantime, we're hoping Contingent members will look over the list, linked above, and express their interests (as irisarbor has done above) in which buildings they'd like to tour.  Once we have a firm list of architectural stops, we'll map out a route and tie in Roadfood-worthy food stops along the way.  Probably three nibbling stops and one Grand Finale dinner stop.

Also, we need to lock in which day we'll want to do the tour.  When you look at the list, keep in mind that some buildings will only be open one of the two days, Saturday October 19th, or Sunday October 20th.  This was also the case on September's Milwaukee tour.  We chose Sunday, September 22nd for the primary Milwaukee tour, but both days are still an option in October.

Most of the architectural tours we're proposing are on the south side (good neighborhoods with reasonable parking opportunities), so the food stops will offer some choices we haven't had in the past.  Should be a great tour.  All Roadfooders, even current non-Contingent members, are invited to join in.

FWIW, the Bears are playing out of town that weekend, so traffic in that south side area, either day, shouldn't be too big an issue.

The final itinerary will be posted by September 17th, and we'll have handouts available the day of the tour.

Buddy
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 191
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/08 03:21:04 (permalink)
I was hoping to join all of you but it just isn't meant to be. I didn't say anything due to my job situation. But since I work for the federal government and our elected officials can't seem to act like grown ups, I am going to have to pass on attending. Hopefully, the situation will be sorted out by spring and I will be able to go to Cincinnati for their Chili tour.

CNW 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3006
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/08 07:05:51 (permalink)
Can anybody help out Cubs Fan with a picture or two from Calumet Fisheries of their sturgeon or smoked shrimp?  Follow the link below to the thread.  It's under The Roadfood Insider,  Fall Roadfood Tour (thread), page 2.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/The-Fall-Roadfood-Tour-m737608-p2.aspx 

Thanks for the assist! 
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2013/10/08 07:06:54
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 707
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/09 01:10:38 (permalink)
I have some pictures from our 2009 visit there, but none of the shrimp or sturgeon.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/09 12:27:34 (permalink)
About how much time was spent at each building in Milwaukee?  The F-J grouping on the map looks like it could easily be accomplished on foot.

Buddy, Friendly Towers Seniors Housing might be a foreshadowing of what Abe has planned for you...
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/09 19:27:44 (permalink)
It depended on the building and how "open" they actually were.  Some places, like the Masonic Hall took upwards of 30-44 minutes.  Others might have only had their lobby open and we breezed through.

Not sure what the Chicago buildings will have in store for us.  Some might have full tours lasting a good half hour or more.  others might even have a line to get in, as we discovered at the Frank Lloyd Wright house in Milwaukee.  I'm gonna guess we'll spend an average of about 20 minutes per site.

And yes, "picking my nursing home" is a favorite threat of abe's.  What she doesn't realize is, I've already picked out a room at her house.

Buddy
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/10 00:33:36 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

And yes, "picking my nursing home" is a favorite threat of abe's.  What she doesn't realize is, I've already picked out a room at her house.

Buddy

The crawlspace is quite sizable.

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6460
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/10 23:07:21 (permalink)
abe_froeman

BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

The crawlspace is quite sizable.

That's my kind of daughter, she has plans for your after life, bury you in the crawl space and keep collecting your checks!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/11 03:11:20 (permalink)
Oh CK, if only she would wait until I'm dead and gone before she shoved me in there.  Sadly, I'm pretty sure she's planning to put me in there once I reach a point where I'm too weak to fight back.

UPDATE: abe and I met this evening  to whittle down the list of sites and firm up the plan.  We've created a new map showing the architectural sites we've selected.  Taking a cue from ScreamingChicken's comment above, we've grouped the buildings by location.

There are five color coded regions on the map, showing potential sites within a limited area.  Rather than list a handful of specific buildings, we'll approach each area based on the mood of the group.  We may visit one building per area or we might stop at as many as four or five, depending on time and energy.  abe and I will continue to do our homework so we can make informed recommendations on the day of the tour, and the group can make informed choices about where we ultimately end up.

We also started linking up eating stops to those neighborhoods.  Again, rather than pick a single stop, we'll have a few limited choices per area, including some old favorites and some new territory to be explored.

THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT OF ALL: We've tentatively picked Sunday, October 20th as the official day for the tour.  We made that decision based on one critical fact--Robie House, a key stop on this tour, is only open for Open House Chicago on Sunday.  If enough Contingent members object to the Sunday choice, or if the group decides Robie House (a Frank Lloyd Wright building) isn't important enough to lock the day to it, we'll change it to Saturday, October 19th.  But it's really critical that we here from the folks who are planning to attend so we can make the proper plans.

abe and I will meet again next week to create the list of potential eating stops.  We'll have handouts available on the day of the tour.

Buddy
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/11 14:16:56 (permalink)
Sunday- DIM SUM!
New Furama Restaurantmore info

2828 South Wentworth Avenue
Chicago, IL 60616

(312) 225-6888

http://www.newfuramarestaurant.com/
website does not reflect the place at all...
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/13 16:55:51 (permalink)
Sunday works for me. I haven't looked at the updated map yet but I'm fine with whatever sites are decided on. 
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/13 18:16:34 (permalink)
If this gathering is on Saturday the 19th, I'll be able to join y'all for at least a few hours. Unfortunately Sunday doesn't work for me at all.   
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/16 03:19:31 (permalink)
Sunday works for me. What time are we starting?

And how much walking will this entail?

My vote is for:

Red
Blue
Orange
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/16 10:24:02 (permalink)
I've been thrown a few curveballs this week and right now the chance of me being able to participate is pretty low.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/16 11:36:16 (permalink)
My votes in order of preference are 
Blue
Orange
Green
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6460
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/16 15:04:23 (permalink)
Purple
Shortruse
and
Aqua

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/16 15:29:32 (permalink)
We'll miss you, ChickenMan!

Buddy and I are still working out the food details, but I can say that red, yellow and green have the best food options.  Blue and orange are a bit of a struggle so far. 

We'll figure it out, though!

ETA: The restaurants we have found so far are added to the map, in PURPLE! 
If you click on each point, there's a website for info, either one I copied into the description or in the gray box that says, "Details From Google Maps".

post edited by abe_froeman - 2013/10/16 16:00:38
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/16 16:29:01 (permalink)
Ok, here's my arguments for the places I've found so far that I've been to, from north to south:

Khan's BBQ- right in the heart of Little India- great neighborhood.  Good tandoori-grill meats, lots of vegetarian stuff.  My only complaint is that the menu is not in English and it can be difficult to order vegetables, especially- you're not exactly sure what you're getting.  I think I may have taken the time to translate a menu and have a copy at home.  I'll see what I can do.  Either way, it's really good.  

Moody's Pub- we almost went here on a previous tour.  Great burgers.  If the weather isn't too crappy, we can sit outside- beautiful beer garden.

Broadway & Argyle- home of many Asian favorites that we've been to before- Sun Wah, Ba Le, etc.

Bombon Bakery- the best tres leche cake.  Ever.

Carnitas Don Pedro- we've been there before as a group- it's where "Dining al Trunko" was born!  Amazing carnitas and chicharones!

Chinatown- Little Three Happiness, the Chinese bakery, New Furama that iris mentioned....need I say more?

La Chaparrita- it's a little farther away, but it's so good!  They have several taco fillings you don't see in other places- suadero, longaniza, cabeza, sesos, molleja (sweetbreads).  They're also grilled in a unique way, I guess the way the do it in Mexico City- a domed, circular griddle.  They have really good cebollitas, too.

Ed's Potsticker House- pork belly pancakes, eggplant "candy", soup dumplings....*homer drool*

La Palapa- more of a summer place and Sunday is supposed to be 50 degrees, but hey, it's Chicago and weather reports mean nothing.   Shrimp, calamari, langostinos....no argument needed for this place.

The other places I have on the map are places I've heard are good and I've done minimal research into them.  I think Buddy said ChiTownDiner has been to Pleasant House Bakery and loves it.
post edited by abe_froeman - 2013/10/16 16:34:15
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/16 18:53:16 (permalink)
There will be 3 Pfeff's on the trip. Tell us where to be and when.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/16 19:03:44 (permalink)
Are there any Eastern Carolina-style barbecue joints on the tour?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/16 19:04:08 (permalink)
I'm in, riding with Gyp and possibly X1. I'll go with the flow but a special shout-out to Khans, Broadway &  Argyle and Ed's. While I love Chinatown, I don't love Chinatown parking and while I wouldn't be a spoilsport, those who know me know I'll never need to go to a Mexican restaurant although I did love my cemita. I could go either day but I thought Sunday was the choice. Saturday is still an option?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/16 19:24:57 (permalink)
I'll also add...

In the "red" zone:
Milts BBQ For The Perplexed: Chicago's only Kosher 'Que!
3411 N. Broadway
(773) 661-6384
 info@miltsbbq.com

Huaraches Dona Chio: Great Mexican "small plates', plus, what some folks say is, the city's best huaraches.
1547 W. Elmdale Ave.
(773) 993-1002

George's Kabab Grill: Friendly, casual Middle Eastern food in a classic American "diner" setting
3216 W Lawrence Ave
(773) 588-1800

In the "Yellow" zone:
Cemitas Puebla: Need I say more?
3619 W. North Ave.
(773) 772-8435

Al's Beef: See above...
1079 W. Taylor St.
(312) 226-4017

In the "blue" zone
That's-A-Burger: Outstanding handmade Burgers and a gazillion toppings.
2134 E. 71st St.
(773) 493-2080

Valois Restaurant: One of Chicago's best Soul Food Cafeterias, and, love him or hate him, one of the President's faves when he's back home.
1518 E. 53rd St.
(773) 667-0647

In the "orange" zone:
Calumet Fisheries: Not sure how abe missed this one; she must've had Ed's Pork Belly Pancakes on her mind as she made up the list.
3259 E. 95th St.
(773) 933-9855

Old Fashioned Donuts: (Saturday only) They crank out amazing Donuts and Apple Fritters
11248 S. Michigan Ave.
(773) 995-7420

And finally, my proposal for a Grand Finale stop:
Grand Duke's Restaurant & Deli
6312 S. Harlem Ave.
Summit, IL
‎(708) 594-5622

Grand Duke's has been spoken of, glowingly, by our own chicagostyledog.  They serve an extensive Lithuanian menu with influences from their many neighbors.  They've got an entire menu page dedicated just to Potato Dishes, another page for Dumplings and Crepes, and not to forget, almost every kind of meat under the sun.

Regardless of whether we end the tour in the "blue" or "orange" zone, Grand Duke's is on the way home for all participants and has close proximity to I-55 (which leads to I-94) and I-294.

That's it for now.  More as we get closer to the weekend!

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2013/10/16 20:00:44
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/16 19:48:46 (permalink)
Here's the Guest List as I see it for now:

For sure:
JRPfeff - 3
MilwFoodlovers - 1
X1 - 1
Gyp - 1
irisarbor - 2 (possibly more?)
stricken_detective - 1
abe_froeman & Mr. Maki - 2
BuddyRoadhouse - 2

Total: 13

Doubtful, but maybe:
ScreamingChicken
carolina bob (Saturday only)

Still need to hear from:
ann peeples
chicagostyledog
quijote
cjucoder
pcdiva

As far as abe and I are concerned, for reasons stated above, Sunday is the day of the "official" tour.  Because we hadn't gotten a lot of feedback on that subject, up until now, we were concerned about making that determination.  If the majority of the group in in for Sunday, then that's locked in.  However, it just so happens we've both also got Saturday off from work.  If anyone wants to do an informal get together, unrelated to the tour, on that day, we're (at least I'm) up for it.

Sorry, JRP, no Eastern Carolina-style 'Que.  How about Kosher-style?

The plan in my mind is to visit each of the colored zones, pick the stops we want to make based on time and energy, then make the same choices regarding food.  We start north and work our way south.  When we've had enough, we call it a day and head for the Grand Finale stop.

We'll do our best to have guide sheets for everyone, but in the event we run out of time, does everyone have GPS?

Buddy
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:"Building" The Next Contingent Tour(s)...OMG that heading is so clever ***snicker***. 2013/10/16 19:50:28 (permalink)
2 + 2 + 3 = 7

Majority rules.

Sunday!
post edited by JRPfeff - 2013/10/16 19:51:44
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1