Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page?????

Porterhouse
2013/07/27 23:03:41
How many times have people posted something like "I gonna be in (Insert town name here) for a day. Anyone know a place to eat?"
Folks, the FIRST PLACE you should look is on the home page in the upper right hand corner in the "FIND AUTHENTIC REGIONAL  EATS" Search Box!
Start typing in the name of the town and 26 pre-screened places with complete write-ups and reviews and pictures will pop up.
They may not be in the exact town but will be close by or in the same region that you may pass through on your way to Bulldung OK.
It may not be what you're looking for but it's a good place to start. 
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 08:07:43
Probably because people think that any published list is dated and they want the "newest authentic regional eats" not realizing that that is an oxymoron.  

The American psyche states that old is bad and new is good.
susie-Q
Junior Burger
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 08:15:51
My experience with that has been that so many of the "recommended" restaurants have been closed for some time.  You pretty much have to start at the end of the posts (most recent) and work backwards.
deelitefulwon
Junior Burger
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 09:07:20
How did I know that you were the author of this post before I even read it?
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 11:34:36
Susie-Q is right! updated experiences by our friends here are so much better, and encourage great conversations!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 13:00:22
deelitefulwon

How did I know that you were the author of this post before I even read it?

CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 13:01:55
Also because when you search for a specific location (say Corinth, MS) as I did for the Slugburger trip, I got lots of Memphis and almost nothing of help in or around Corinth.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 13:08:48
I just tried typing in the following: Urbana, Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland -- all in Ohio. Each time I got "City Not Found"
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 13:23:29
Because I didn't even know that it existed.

DT

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 13:35:59
In Cincinnati's case, maybe someone doesn't have a 40-hour week to sift through 103 pages.

I think if people ask specific questions (like soozyque520 did for Indianapolis last week), it generates useful conversation, which is the point of this board.

Now if someone starts a thread that says they're going to be in Chicago for three days and was wondering where the best place to eat was...
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 13:38:35
Michael Hoffman

I just tried typing in the following: Urbana, Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland -- all in Ohio. Each time I got "City Not Found"

Crabill's is listed as #1 on the list for Urbana

Don't know why you didnt get it to come up with anything?!?
bosco lover
Cheeseburger
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 15:11:40
Because they want to have a conversation?  There is much less posting going on here than a few years ago. If asking for recommendations in a certain city is off limits, I'm not sure what else there is to talk about. And also places close and go downhill, and other places open
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 15:13:41
I like the, "I'm driving from New York City to Los Angeles. Any recommendations?"
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 15:32:42
bosco lover

Because they want to have a conversation?  There is much less posting going on here than a few years ago. If asking for recommendations in a certain city is off limits, I'm not sure what else there is to talk about. And also places close and go downhill, and other places open

No one said it's off limits.
bosco lover
Cheeseburger
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 16:05:38
So if it's not off limits what's the problem? People want to know where to eat, they come here and ask where to eat. I also fail to see how you can know if they have used the search or not.  I use the search but then I also ask for info in this forum, i'm sure some other people do as well
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 16:52:50
CajunKing

Michael Hoffman

Crabill's is listed as #1 on the list for Urbana

Don't know why you didnt get it to come up with anything?!?

I tried it again after I saw your post and Urbana came up, and so did Columbus. But no Cleveland and no Cincinnati.

TWog
Junior Burger
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 17:40:52
Example:

I recently posted a question about Dallas. The recommendations I received involved restaurants that are not on the Dallas list. Sonny Bryan's BBQ was discussed, but the latest review of the restaurant was in 2011. A lot can change at a restaurant in two years.  I certainly don't expect updates every year, so posting a question is, more than likely, going to get me more updated info.  I do use the "Find" feature as a starting point.
ROHfan
Hamburger
Re:Why don't people use the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" on the Home Page????? 2013/07/28 18:13:32
Foodbme, what do you care? The two times I've used it, it didn't work. Twice the places were closed. Besides, I want CURRENT recommendations, not ones based on visits ten years ago. Sheesh.