Three Ways to Grill Corn

Porterhouse
2013/07/30 01:16:37
While I'm sure creative RF'ers can come up with some more, here's 3 ways to grill Corn compliments of The Serious Eats Food Lab.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-three-ways-to-grill-corn.html
I like to soak the unpeeled ears in a bucket of water for a couple hours before throwing them on the grill. That way you get more steam and the husks don't burn as much.
What's your technique?
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/07/30 12:07:32
I would shuck and roast on the grill. You can base with a Pesto, if you make your own you can blend different fresh herbs like mint, Cilantro, even arugula. Remember Pesto has olive oil, how could that be bad. You can also use different nuts, most times it Pine nuts, try different kinds of nuts for a different flavor. You can also use roasted red peppers to make a Red Pepper coulis, again, this is olive oil based and would baste well on the corn. You could also make different kinds of Compound butter, have it frozen in small round discs and just put on the hot corn after its roasted......Our corn field will be ready next week, I'm eyeing up some young Roosters to make a Coq au Vin..............pnwc...........P.S. Lisa, there is a Li'l piggy that is looking real nice on the pasture. If he didn't come over to me evey morning for a pat on the head, he would be on the spit.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/07/30 12:12:44
What they call "naked grilling" is the best!

Serve hot off the grill with salt, pepper, and butter to taste.

Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/07/30 12:24:41
I like to leave a single layer of husk on the ear as a way to give the kernels a little bit of a buffer before they start to char.
Russ Jackson
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/07/30 13:50:47
MetroplexJim

I agree with this method. However you might think I am nuts but try painting the corn when almost done with BBQ sauce and kind of burn it on..Russ
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/07/30 13:51:58
MetroplexJim

Try it Mex style, Mayo, squeeze of lime and a shot of green hot sauce. So, so tasty.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/07/30 14:26:06
I had some fabulous grilled corn at the Ohio State Fair last Friday.  It was sooooo sweet, didn't need butter or salt.  Delicious.
pnwchef
Coq au vin sounds really good.  Unfortunately one of the main ingredients is mushrooms and MH is allergic.......I could make it without, but not quite the same.
You just keep patting L'il piggy on his l'il head and keep him away from the spit!!!  Send him out with Not So L'il Porkchop to learn a thing or two.
pnwchef
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/07/30 15:22:35
lleechef

I had some fabulous grilled corn at the Ohio State Fair last Friday.  It was sooooo sweet, didn't need butter or salt.  Delicious.
pnwchef
Coq au vin sounds really good.  Unfortunately one of the main ingredients is mushrooms and MH is allergic.......I could make it without, but not quite the same.
You just keep patting L'il piggy on his l'il head and keep him away from the spit!!!  Send him out with Not So L'il Porkchop to learn a thing or two.

Lisa, Big Porkchop was sold, Li'll porkchop is now king of the pasture. The calf and li'll porkchop sleep together and became friends. The Calf thinks hes a pig and runs with the other pigs when its dinner call. The calf looks funny eating spaghetti but, then again so do I. The chickens use to just watch as we feed the pigs, now they all come running . This is getting to be one crazy farm.....................Bill
WarToad
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/07/30 15:24:19
I've always run the cleaned cobs up and down with butter and put them on the grill.  Salt and pepper off the grill.  Love the little bit of char.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/07/30 15:54:29
My favorite way to do corn is to peel back the husks and remove the silk, then close the husks back up and soak the ears in cold water for an hour or so. I soak some wood chips and then add them on top of the charcoal then place the corn, in the husks, on the grill, turning every minute or so till there are good grill marks all over. The corn ends up with a wonderful smoky flavor.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/07/30 16:19:06
MetroplexJim

Chipotle Butter at that
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/07/31 21:38:15
Yeah, I do the naked style too. If you keep the husk on, you're not grilling, you're steaming. Same with potatoes in foil.

I make a baste with butter, garlic, salt, some parsley, and what I think is the key..a bit of hot sauce.
ces1948
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/07/31 22:20:30
I think this is a matter of personal taste. While I like the looks and taste of the "naked" corn my wife and MIL would dislike because it is charred. They dislike anything that is "blackened"
NYNM
Filet Mignon
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/08/01 18:03:22
Try Bay Corn!! : )
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/08/02 14:23:09
sandrew834
Hamburger
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/09/13 04:18:55

This is by far the best corn I have ever made. I didn't make the butter recipes, but the corn itself with a little butter, salt and pepper was enough to make me want to grill it again the next day!

freeroses
Junior Burger
Re:Three Ways to Grill Corn 2013/09/13 08:08:23
Good corn that is juicy and sweet doesn't need anything. Just peel back the husk and eat it raw. Only when the natural sugars have begun to turn to starch should you cook it and then naked grilling is the best.