Hot!Random Food Related Thoughts

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
drummagick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 171
2013/08/03 16:11:18 (permalink)

Random Food Related Thoughts

I belong to a forum where someone started a random thoughts thread.  This was for when you just wanted to make a comment about something on your mind, maybe a quick question that didn't need a whole, long, involved thread.  Stuff like that.  It ended up being a very popular thread that went on for many, many pages.  I started a 'random' thread' at two other forums, one is up to over 200 pages and at the other we start a new random thread every month.  I was thinking it might be fun/interesting/a total washout maybe here but I'm willing to give it a try.  I'll go first.

When I was very young my mother used to make a dish occasionally that I absolutely loved. She would make a lovely cream sauce with butter and flour and whole milk, salt and pepper, and when the cream sauce was just right, would dump in a can of whole white potatoes and heat them up and I loved this dish just about more than anything else she made for years.

I'm at the age where I'm starting to get nostalgic for the places and things of my youth.  I remembered this concoction today and how good it was so I stopped at the store and picked up a can of diced white potatoes (I've also gotten lazy) and a small container of half and half because all I drink now is 2% and it had to be a bit higher fat than that.  I made a lovely white sauce, adding just a pinch of onion powder which my mother never did, a long grind of fresh black pepper and a big pinch of kosher salt.  Drained those potatoes and dumped them in and heated them up.  Poured some in a bowl and OMG YUCK!!

I think my palate has matured over the years.

83 Replies Related Threads

ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 17:50:56 (permalink)
    When I was boy in the late 50's I think they had just started to come out with frozen fishsticks. I loved them but one time when I was home alone I made an entire box fried in lard and ate them all. I got so sick and had a stomach ache for 2 or 3 days along with thowing up. In those days you didn't go to the doctor for much of anything so I had to get over it myself, maybe got some pepto bismo. To this day I can't stand a fishstick.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 18:04:07 (permalink)
    "My food thoughts turn back to the very small street that I lived on from age of eight until the day I married.  I remember, with much love, all the Italian ladies on that street that took me under their wing and taught me real Italian cooking!  I remember , when all of us kids would be playing "hide and go seek" under the street light  down at he end of our street.  When ever there was a bridal shower, or baby shower, or just an evening when there was a get to gather, one of these wonderful cooks would bring our out a large "tomato pie" for us to eat................great memories from the nicest street in the world to have the privilege to live.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6383
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 18:34:39 (permalink)
    Mom made creamed potatoes too, although she boiled either red skinned or cut up bakers and then added them to the white gravy she made.

ALWAYS Yummy, and I still love making them, simple and easy.

My random thought would be going down to the penny candy store and getting $0.50 worth of candy and go down and ride on the ferry across the Ohio River, you could ride all day long for $0.50 (as long as you didnt get off) I was a cheap date (3 to 8 yo at the time)
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10216
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 18:46:17 (permalink)
    drummagick

I belong to a forum where someone started a random thoughts thread.  This was for when you just wanted to make a comment about something on your mind, maybe a quick question that didn't need a whole, long, involved thread.  Stuff like that.  It ended up being a very popular thread that went on for many, many pages.  I started a 'random' thread' at two other forums, one is up to over 200 pages and at the other we start a new random thread every month.  I was thinking it might be fun/interesting/a total washout maybe here but I'm willing to give it a try.  I'll go first.

When I was very young my mother used to make a dish occasionally that I absolutely loved. She would make a lovely cream sauce with butter and flour and whole milk, salt and pepper, and when the cream sauce was just right, would dump in a can of whole white potatoes and heat them up and I loved this dish just about more than anything else she made for years.

I'm at the age where I'm starting to get nostalgic for the places and things of my youth.  I remembered this concoction today and how good it was so I stopped at the store and picked up a can of diced white potatoes (I've also gotten lazy) and a small container of half and half because all I drink now is 2% and it had to be a bit higher fat than that.  I made a lovely white sauce, adding just a pinch of onion powder which my mother never did, a long grind of fresh black pepper and a big pinch of kosher salt.  Drained those potatoes and dumped them in and heated them up.  Poured some in a bowl and OMG YUCK!!

I think my palate has matured over the years.

A nice idea!
    Regarding canned potatoes, the quality of canned potatoes has gone into the dumpster! I bought some not long ago and they were uneatable. Tasted like they were brined in ammonia!
    Try it with fresh potatoes and I'll bet your groove back!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4617
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 19:06:11 (permalink)
    Why do fried chicken and corn on the cob go so well together?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 19:44:22 (permalink)
    When I lived in France my neighbor, Christienne, made the best, best, best French fries I ever ate in my life.  I'm not a fan of fries, but hers were spectacular.  She used potatoes from her garden (don't know what kind) and cooked them in a mixture of pork lard and oil that had been seasoned with garlic, thyme and bay leaf. 
    Also Maroilles tartine which is French bread topped with Maroilles cheese and put under the broiler.  Then you spread the whole thing with farm butter. 
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8328
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 20:37:22 (permalink)
    Before my father became a full professor and therefore had a teachers salary( no pay in summer)we ate , on occasion, waffles and eggs for dinner. Mom made it fun( I said breakfast for dinner?) It was a budget thing. But they made it fun and acceptable.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 20:44:20 (permalink)
    Annie
    Once in awhile my parents would have "breakfast" for dinner.  I would have a BLT.
    drummagick
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 23:00:19 (permalink)
    "Regarding canned potatoes, the quality of canned potatoes has gone into the dumpster! I bought some not long ago and they were uneatable. Tasted like they were brined in ammonia!"

They smelled excatly the same as I remember!  But the texture and taste!  No, no and no!!

I will try it with fresh, new potatoes.  It's got to be delicious!!
    post edited by drummagick - 2013/08/03 23:01:59
    drummagick
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 23:09:18 (permalink)
    Sausage gravy does not belong on chicken fried steak.  Don't be lazy, don't cut corners.  Put that sausage gravy on biscuits and make a white gravy without sausage for the chicken fried steak.  Please.  :)
    drummagick
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 23:14:09 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

Why do fried chicken and corn on the cob go so well together?

Well, the taste goes without saying, but maybe also because they're both 'finger food'?  They are
    if you don't use prongs in the corn anyway.  What a glorious mess you are when you're done eating them!!

I prefer fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy though.  Probably because I make the best fried chicken gravy I know of.  When my kids had their wisdom teeth out, I asked ahead of time what they'd be wanting to eat until they could have regular food again.  My youngest daughter picked mashed potatoes and my fried chicken gravy.  Well, I asked for it I guess.  I fried a bunch of chicken legs every other day to keep her in chicken gravy for a week.  And she still wasn't tired of it.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 23:33:49 (permalink)
    At least you got the legs?
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 23:45:42 (permalink)
    I saw a picture of a bacon doughnut on some website the other day. IMO that's a disservice to both the bacon and the doughnut.
    drummagick
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 00:12:57 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

At least you got the legs?

I like breasts :/  You don't get enough good stuff out of breasts for gravy unfortunately.
    drummagick
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 00:14:33 (permalink)
    ces1948

I saw a picture of a bacon doughnut on some website the other day. IMO that's a disservice to both the bacon and the doughnut.

Do you mean bacon maple bars?  A couple places in town make them, and my son asked me to pick one up for him.  I didn't try it, and he said the bacon was good, and the maple bar was good, but he didn't see the point otherwise.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 00:22:14 (permalink)
    CES1948, I have eaten the bacon maple bar at Voododd Donuts in Portland, Oregon. It is one of the taste delights of which I have  the fondest memories. it was mixture of salt and sweet that I loved. Different stoke for different folks I guess.
    post edited by mr chips - 2013/08/04 00:23:53
    love2bake
    • Total Posts : 1378
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 01:28:25 (permalink)
    drummagick

Sausage gravy does not belong on chicken fried steak.  Don't be lazy, don't cut corners.  Put that sausage gravy on biscuits and make a white gravy without sausage for the chicken fried steak.  Please.  :)

I'm with you!!!
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 892
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 10:04:48 (permalink)
    When I'm in a chain restaurant of the "stuff on the walls" subgenre, I find myself pondering the people who choose and arrange that stuff.

I'll take TGI Friday's as a specific example, although these questions apply to many of its competitors. Some of my questions:
    - Is there a single person or group choosing the stuff for every TGI Friday's, or is there room for discretion on the part of specific owners? (In the particular case of TGI Friday's, I think it's centralized; there's a consistent style, and the website points out some of the consistencies.)
    - How often does a Friday's change the stuff on the walls?
    - Does the stuff get bought only when it's needed, or does TGI Friday's have a warehouse somewhere of Friday's-ish stuff?
    - What's the job of a stuff-on-the-walls picker like? Is the pay good? Is it relaxed, or are you always constantly worrying that a younger, more aggressive stuff-on-the-walls picker will put you out of a job? If you aspire to a career as a stuff-on-the-walls picker, how do you get started?
    ChrisOC
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 994
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 11:02:26 (permalink)
    ann peeples

Before my father became a full professor and therefore had a teachers salary( no pay in summer)we ate , on occasion, waffles and eggs for dinner. Mom made it fun( I said breakfast for dinner?) It was a budget thing. But they made it fun and acceptable.

Some things that are considered breakfast foods were dinner when I was a child back in the 40's and 50's.  My mother made great waffles, but never for breakfast.  They were dinner, covered with creamed chipped beef or creamed chicken.  Scrapple was dinner meat, never in the morning.  We often had pancakes and sausage for dinner as well.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3480
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 12:48:35 (permalink)
    Why is it that every casserole under the sun requires cracker crumbs, or Bisquick, or stuffing mix, or bread crumbs, or potato chips, or some kind of empty carbs? I assume it's filler, because those things are cheaper than the main ingredients. But when you're cooking for a pre-diabetic who is trying to control it through diet rather than pills or shots, it's frustrating.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18380
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 13:10:53 (permalink)
    So, what's wrong with liking Chef Boyardee ravioli?
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 13:12:12 (permalink)
    felix4067

Why is it that every casserole under the sun requires cracker crumbs, or Bisquick, or stuffing mix, or bread crumbs, or potato chips, or some kind of empty carbs? I assume it's filler, because those things are cheaper than the main ingredients. But when you're cooking for a pre-diabetic who is trying to control it through diet rather than pills or shots, it's frustrating.

What else could you cover it with and still be considered a casserole? Hmmm.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 13:37:11 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

So, what's wrong with liking Chef Boyardee ravioli?

Everything.

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 15:02:59 (permalink)
    1bbqboy

felix4067

What else could you cover it with and still be considered a casserole? Hmmm.

Why does it have to be covered with anything? A casserole is simply a one-dish meal. If you were serving the ingredients individually, they wouldn't require a topping. I usually choose cheese, or sometimes those french fried onions in a can (almost zero carbs), or nothing at all for topping. The problem is most casserole recipes use the topping as an ingredient as well, and I can only assume that's for filler. If the filling looks too soupy, sometimes corn starch will work to thicken it, but that's empty carbs, too.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 15:09:41 (permalink)
    Hmmm. I'll have to think about that. Casseroles to me have to have 
    something on top or it's just a baked dish. 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18380
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 15:20:37 (permalink)
    A casserole is a glass, pottery or cast iron baking dish. The word can also refer to the food cooked in a casserole. So you can cook anything you want in one and it's all good. Unless my mother made it.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 15:22:41 (permalink)
    yeah, I looked up the definition, but I like crusts, I guess.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 15:31:31 (permalink)
    I used to like crusts, too. But then we went on the 25g carbs or less per plate restriction for dinners, so I've had to rethink everything. A casserole (the food ) with cracker crumbs on top vs. without is a difference of ~10g carbs per serving.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 17:56:26 (permalink)
    rice which way? And what kind?
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1