Hot!Random Food Related Thoughts

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Cheeseburger
2013/08/03 16:11:18
I belong to a forum where someone started a random thoughts thread.  This was for when you just wanted to make a comment about something on your mind, maybe a quick question that didn't need a whole, long, involved thread.  Stuff like that.  It ended up being a very popular thread that went on for many, many pages.  I started a 'random' thread' at two other forums, one is up to over 200 pages and at the other we start a new random thread every month.  I was thinking it might be fun/interesting/a total washout maybe here but I'm willing to give it a try.  I'll go first.

When I was very young my mother used to make a dish occasionally that I absolutely loved. She would make a lovely cream sauce with butter and flour and whole milk, salt and pepper, and when the cream sauce was just right, would dump in a can of whole white potatoes and heat them up and I loved this dish just about more than anything else she made for years.

I'm at the age where I'm starting to get nostalgic for the places and things of my youth.  I remembered this concoction today and how good it was so I stopped at the store and picked up a can of diced white potatoes (I've also gotten lazy) and a small container of half and half because all I drink now is 2% and it had to be a bit higher fat than that.  I made a lovely white sauce, adding just a pinch of onion powder which my mother never did, a long grind of fresh black pepper and a big pinch of kosher salt.  Drained those potatoes and dumped them in and heated them up.  Poured some in a bowl and OMG YUCK!!

I think my palate has matured over the years.
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 17:50:56
When I was boy in the late 50's I think they had just started to come out with frozen fishsticks. I loved them but one time when I was home alone I made an entire box fried in lard and ate them all. I got so sick and had a stomach ache for 2 or 3 days along with thowing up. In those days you didn't go to the doctor for much of anything so I had to get over it myself, maybe got some pepto bismo. To this day I can't stand a fishstick.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 18:04:07
"My food thoughts turn back to the very small street that I lived on from age of eight until the day I married.  I remember, with much love, all the Italian ladies on that street that took me under their wing and taught me real Italian cooking!  I remember , when all of us kids would be playing "hide and go seek" under the street light  down at he end of our street.  When ever there was a bridal shower, or baby shower, or just an evening when there was a get to gather, one of these wonderful cooks would bring our out a large "tomato pie" for us to eat................great memories from the nicest street in the world to have the privilege to live.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 18:34:39
Mom made creamed potatoes too, although she boiled either red skinned or cut up bakers and then added them to the white gravy she made.

ALWAYS Yummy, and I still love making them, simple and easy.

My random thought would be going down to the penny candy store and getting $0.50 worth of candy and go down and ride on the ferry across the Ohio River, you could ride all day long for $0.50 (as long as you didnt get off) I was a cheap date (3 to 8 yo at the time)
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 18:46:17
drummagick

I belong to a forum where someone started a random thoughts thread.  This was for when you just wanted to make a comment about something on your mind, maybe a quick question that didn't need a whole, long, involved thread.  Stuff like that.  It ended up being a very popular thread that went on for many, many pages.  I started a 'random' thread' at two other forums, one is up to over 200 pages and at the other we start a new random thread every month.  I was thinking it might be fun/interesting/a total washout maybe here but I'm willing to give it a try.  I'll go first.

When I was very young my mother used to make a dish occasionally that I absolutely loved. She would make a lovely cream sauce with butter and flour and whole milk, salt and pepper, and when the cream sauce was just right, would dump in a can of whole white potatoes and heat them up and I loved this dish just about more than anything else she made for years.

I'm at the age where I'm starting to get nostalgic for the places and things of my youth.  I remembered this concoction today and how good it was so I stopped at the store and picked up a can of diced white potatoes (I've also gotten lazy) and a small container of half and half because all I drink now is 2% and it had to be a bit higher fat than that.  I made a lovely white sauce, adding just a pinch of onion powder which my mother never did, a long grind of fresh black pepper and a big pinch of kosher salt.  Drained those potatoes and dumped them in and heated them up.  Poured some in a bowl and OMG YUCK!!

I think my palate has matured over the years.

A nice idea!
Regarding canned potatoes, the quality of canned potatoes has gone into the dumpster! I bought some not long ago and they were uneatable. Tasted like they were brined in ammonia!
Try it with fresh potatoes and I'll bet your groove back!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 19:06:11
Why do fried chicken and corn on the cob go so well together?
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 19:44:22
When I lived in France my neighbor, Christienne, made the best, best, best French fries I ever ate in my life.  I'm not a fan of fries, but hers were spectacular.  She used potatoes from her garden (don't know what kind) and cooked them in a mixture of pork lard and oil that had been seasoned with garlic, thyme and bay leaf. 
Also Maroilles tartine which is French bread topped with Maroilles cheese and put under the broiler.  Then you spread the whole thing with farm butter. 
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 20:37:22
Before my father became a full professor and therefore had a teachers salary( no pay in summer)we ate , on occasion, waffles and eggs for dinner. Mom made it fun( I said breakfast for dinner?) It was a budget thing. But they made it fun and acceptable.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 20:44:20
Annie
Once in awhile my parents would have "breakfast" for dinner.  I would have a BLT.
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 23:00:19
"Regarding canned potatoes, the quality of canned potatoes has gone into the dumpster! I bought some not long ago and they were uneatable. Tasted like they were brined in ammonia!"

They smelled excatly the same as I remember!  But the texture and taste!  No, no and no!!

I will try it with fresh, new potatoes.  It's got to be delicious!!
post edited by drummagick - 2013/08/03 23:01:59
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 23:09:18
Sausage gravy does not belong on chicken fried steak.  Don't be lazy, don't cut corners.  Put that sausage gravy on biscuits and make a white gravy without sausage for the chicken fried steak.  Please.  :)
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 23:14:09
1bbqboy

Why do fried chicken and corn on the cob go so well together?

Well, the taste goes without saying, but maybe also because they're both 'finger food'?  They are
if you don't use prongs in the corn anyway.  What a glorious mess you are when you're done eating them!!

I prefer fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy though.  Probably because I make the best fried chicken gravy I know of.  When my kids had their wisdom teeth out, I asked ahead of time what they'd be wanting to eat until they could have regular food again.  My youngest daughter picked mashed potatoes and my fried chicken gravy.  Well, I asked for it I guess.  I fried a bunch of chicken legs every other day to keep her in chicken gravy for a week.  And she still wasn't tired of it.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 23:33:49
At least you got the legs?
ces1948
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/03 23:45:42
I saw a picture of a bacon doughnut on some website the other day. IMO that's a disservice to both the bacon and the doughnut.
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 00:12:57
1bbqboy

At least you got the legs?

I like breasts :/  You don't get enough good stuff out of breasts for gravy unfortunately.
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 00:14:33
ces1948

I saw a picture of a bacon doughnut on some website the other day. IMO that's a disservice to both the bacon and the doughnut.

Do you mean bacon maple bars?  A couple places in town make them, and my son asked me to pick one up for him.  I didn't try it, and he said the bacon was good, and the maple bar was good, but he didn't see the point otherwise.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 00:22:14
CES1948, I have eaten the bacon maple bar at Voododd Donuts in Portland, Oregon. It is one of the taste delights of which I have  the fondest memories. it was mixture of salt and sweet that I loved. Different stoke for different folks I guess.
post edited by mr chips - 2013/08/04 00:23:53
love2bake
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 01:28:25
drummagick

Sausage gravy does not belong on chicken fried steak.  Don't be lazy, don't cut corners.  Put that sausage gravy on biscuits and make a white gravy without sausage for the chicken fried steak.  Please.  :)

I'm with you!!!
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 10:04:48
When I'm in a chain restaurant of the "stuff on the walls" subgenre, I find myself pondering the people who choose and arrange that stuff.

I'll take TGI Friday's as a specific example, although these questions apply to many of its competitors. Some of my questions:
- Is there a single person or group choosing the stuff for every TGI Friday's, or is there room for discretion on the part of specific owners? (In the particular case of TGI Friday's, I think it's centralized; there's a consistent style, and the website points out some of the consistencies.)
- How often does a Friday's change the stuff on the walls?
- Does the stuff get bought only when it's needed, or does TGI Friday's have a warehouse somewhere of Friday's-ish stuff?
- What's the job of a stuff-on-the-walls picker like? Is the pay good? Is it relaxed, or are you always constantly worrying that a younger, more aggressive stuff-on-the-walls picker will put you out of a job? If you aspire to a career as a stuff-on-the-walls picker, how do you get started?
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 11:02:26
ann peeples

Before my father became a full professor and therefore had a teachers salary( no pay in summer)we ate , on occasion, waffles and eggs for dinner. Mom made it fun( I said breakfast for dinner?) It was a budget thing. But they made it fun and acceptable.

Some things that are considered breakfast foods were dinner when I was a child back in the 40's and 50's.  My mother made great waffles, but never for breakfast.  They were dinner, covered with creamed chipped beef or creamed chicken.  Scrapple was dinner meat, never in the morning.  We often had pancakes and sausage for dinner as well.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 12:48:35
Why is it that every casserole under the sun requires cracker crumbs, or Bisquick, or stuffing mix, or bread crumbs, or potato chips, or some kind of empty carbs? I assume it's filler, because those things are cheaper than the main ingredients. But when you're cooking for a pre-diabetic who is trying to control it through diet rather than pills or shots, it's frustrating.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 13:10:53
So, what's wrong with liking Chef Boyardee ravioli?
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 13:12:12
felix4067

Why is it that every casserole under the sun requires cracker crumbs, or Bisquick, or stuffing mix, or bread crumbs, or potato chips, or some kind of empty carbs? I assume it's filler, because those things are cheaper than the main ingredients. But when you're cooking for a pre-diabetic who is trying to control it through diet rather than pills or shots, it's frustrating.

What else could you cover it with and still be considered a casserole? Hmmm.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 13:37:11
Michael Hoffman

So, what's wrong with liking Chef Boyardee ravioli?

Everything.

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 15:02:59
1bbqboy

felix4067

What else could you cover it with and still be considered a casserole? Hmmm.

Why does it have to be covered with anything? A casserole is simply a one-dish meal. If you were serving the ingredients individually, they wouldn't require a topping. I usually choose cheese, or sometimes those french fried onions in a can (almost zero carbs), or nothing at all for topping. The problem is most casserole recipes use the topping as an ingredient as well, and I can only assume that's for filler. If the filling looks too soupy, sometimes corn starch will work to thicken it, but that's empty carbs, too.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 15:09:41
Hmmm. I'll have to think about that. Casseroles to me have to have 
something on top or it's just a baked dish. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 15:20:37
A casserole is a glass, pottery or cast iron baking dish. The word can also refer to the food cooked in a casserole. So you can cook anything you want in one and it's all good. Unless my mother made it.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 15:22:41
yeah, I looked up the definition, but I like crusts, I guess.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 15:31:31
I used to like crusts, too. But then we went on the 25g carbs or less per plate restriction for dinners, so I've had to rethink everything. A casserole (the food ) with cracker crumbs on top vs. without is a difference of ~10g carbs per serving.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 17:56:26
rice which way? And what kind?
ces1948
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 18:48:35
I'm becoming convinced that the best pizza is one you order in the restaurant and consume same when it comes out of the kitchen. Take out and home delivery are very over rated.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 20:27:27
felix4067

A very quick, easy and simple problem to your solution- instead of "empty carbs"  do whole grain, instead of potato chips do "sweet potato chips"....excellent options for someone diabetic or pre-diabetic
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 21:29:26
I don't care much for raspberries but Raspberries really defined the power pop sound of the early '70s.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/04 21:53:35
scratch & sniff :)

drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/05 00:33:20
Ralph Melton

When I'm in a chain restaurant of the "stuff on the walls" subgenre, I find myself pondering the people who choose and arrange that stuff.

I'll take TGI Friday's as a specific example, although these questions apply to many of its competitors. Some of my questions:
- Is there a single person or group choosing the stuff for every TGI Friday's, or is there room for discretion on the part of specific owners? (In the particular case of TGI Friday's, I think it's centralized; there's a consistent style, and the website points out some of the consistencies.)
- How often does a Friday's change the stuff on the walls?
- Does the stuff get bought only when it's needed, or does TGI Friday's have a warehouse somewhere of Friday's-ish stuff?
- What's the job of a stuff-on-the-walls picker like? Is the pay good? Is it relaxed, or are you always constantly worrying that a younger, more aggressive stuff-on-the-walls picker will put you out of a job? If you aspire to a career as a stuff-on-the-walls picker, how do you get started?

You think about this a lot, huh?  lol

I haven't been to any other Red Robin other than the one in town here for many years.  Maybe close to 30.  I cannot stand the stuff-on-the-walls in the Red Robin here.  It's old still movie shots and some sports stuff and other crap.

When I was quite young, maybe late teens, the Red Robin in Seattle, it might have been the original one, had beautiful decor with Tiffany style lamps and nice upholstered booths and I just loved the place.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/05 01:08:40

My random food thought:  .....

On several occasions, while waiting in line at a grocery store, the cashier will point to one of my items and ask, "Is that any good?".   
   I'm immediately thinking to myself, what sort of dumb question is that?  Either I haven't tried it before , so can't give an honest answer as to whether it's good.  ... Or,  I have tried it before, and it was good enough to buy again.

So, sometimes when the devil takes hold of me, I enjoy playing comedian (and give a Bill Engvall type of reply similar to his "Here's Your Sign" comedy skit.).

The cashier asks, "Is that stuff any good?".   I reply,  "Nope.  It's totally awful, but I enjoy wasting money and buying it anyway!"

With the grin on my face, usually the cashier will laugh, reflecting back on how silly the question was. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2013/08/05 01:22:24
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/05 16:42:31
ces1948

I'm becoming convinced that the best pizza is one you order in the restaurant and consume same when it comes out of the kitchen. Take out and home delivery are very over rated.

Agreed.

Although, I am fond of pizza that has been brought home from the restaurant after eating relatively late, has been left overnight on the counter and then consumed for breakfast.  This is a holdover from when I used to shoot pool (and drink beer) until the wee hours in Seattle. 
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/05 17:32:24
Glenn1234

On several occasions, while waiting in line at a grocery store, the cashier will point to one of my items and ask, "Is that any good?".   
  I'm immediately thinking to myself, what sort of dumb question is that?  Either I haven't tried it before , so can't give an honest answer as to whether it's good.  ... Or,  I have tried it before, and it was good enough to buy again.

So, sometimes when the devil takes hold of me, I enjoy playing comedian (and give a Bill Engvall type of reply similar to his "Here's Your Sign" comedy skit.).

The cashier asks, "Is that stuff any good?".   I reply,  "Nope.  It's totally awful, but I enjoy wasting money and buying it anyway!"

With the grin on my face, usually the cashier will laugh, reflecting back on how silly the question was. 

Glenn

I must shop at a grocery store with a curious clientele and inquisitive clerks because we always jabber back and forth  about food and life. Sometimes I tell them, sometimes they tell me. All good and knowledge gained. 
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/05 20:59:08
1bbqboy

Glenn1234

Glenn

I must shop at a grocery store with a curious clientele and inquisitive clerks because we always jabber back and forth  about food and life. Sometimes I tell them, sometimes they tell me. All good and knowledge gained. 

Sounds like your cashiers ask something along the lines of,  "How is that stuff?", which is a more open ended question,  ... .   As opposed to asking, "Is that stuff any good?", which was the cashier question I was referring to.     

In any case, it seems most of the cashiers I have tried this on get the humor.

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2013/08/05 21:11:20
WarToad
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 08:38:23
As a young teenager, I looked forward to nothing more than a 99 cent Totino's frozen pizza spruced up with canned mushrooms and cheap pimento olives and watching Friday night "Creature Feature"!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 12:57:27
WarToad

As a young teenager, I looked forward to nothing more than a 99 cent Totino's frozen pizza spruced up with canned mushrooms and cheap pimento olives and watching Friday night "Creature Feature"!

Our Krogers recently had those pizzas on sale 10 for $10 but if you bought 5 you got $5 back at the cash register, so they were giving away pizzas. (We "bought" 80 of them)
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 13:26:37
WarToad

And then as an older teenager the Creature Feature was replaced by "The Dark Side of the Moon", right?
WarToad
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 14:04:11
ScreamingChicken

WarToad

And then as an older teenager the Creature Feature was replaced by "The Dark Side of the Moon", right?

Got that right!  Floyd, early Clapton, Deep Purple, YES, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, Cream, Doors... they all showed up.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 14:11:34
wanderingjew
A very quick, easy and simple problem to your solution- instead of "empty carbs"  do whole grain, instead of potato chips do "sweet potato chips"....excellent options for someone diabetic or pre-diabetic

Yup, those are on the list, too. But for some reason sweet potato chips are way hard to find here. If it's a casserole that requires stuffing or pasta, I do use the whole wheat stuff. Usually I use half what it calls for and increase the vegetables or meat. If it calls for rice, I always use brown rice. Still an awful lot of carbs there, though, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.

WarToad 

Add some slices of American cheese (split into thirds, and arranged in spokes) and a sprinkling of Parmesan from the can, and you've got what was my favourite lunch ever!
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 15:19:28
I still like Totinos pizzas, although I don't spruce them up.  When I was in my late teens, my father used to buy the Totinos sausage pizza and it had good sausage on it.  With fennel seeds!!  The sausage now is tasteless.  But if you're broke and craving pizza, a $1 Totinos is not bad. ;)
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 21:11:33
Don't get me going on all those bands, my friends! Saw Pink Floyd at the Milwaukee Stadium in the 70's-Yes still is one of my favorites-saw them at Alpine Valley......
ces1948
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 23:08:25
When I was a kid my dad made two bologna sandwiches for lunch almost every day. Bologna, white bread and mayo. Took them in one of those black lunch "buckets" with no refrigeration. Based on what we know today I don't see how he didn't get food poisoning.
drummagick
Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/06 23:44:45
I met a woman about 25 years ago who kept her mayo in the cupboard.  No one in their family died.

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 07:32:46
Mayo is not the culprit associated with food born illnesses. For instance, with potato salad, its the potatoes, not the mayo that is to blame if left unrefrigerated too long. Mayo has vinegar in it, a natural preservative. My Mom kept our colored Easter eggs on the dining room table for a week or better-we ate them with no problems. They were prepared with vinegar( to get the dye to adhere to the shell)

ces1948
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 10:08:57
Thanks for the info. I did not know that and have always bought into the "The Mayo myth" as they called it on a couple of websites I checked. They also said it was safe to have unrefrigerated opened mayo but keeping it refrigerated maintains the quality.

ann peeples

Mayo is not the culprit associated with food born illnesses. For instance, with potato salad, its the potatoes, not the mayo that is to blame if left unrefrigerated too long. Mayo has vinegar in it, a natural preservative. My Mom kept our colored Easter eggs on the dining room table for a week or better-we ate them with no problems. They were prepared with vinegar( to get the dye to adhere to the shell)

ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 12:22:07
When I was in elementary school my mother would pack tuna salad sandwiches in a brown bag.  That sandwich would be on a shelf, not refrigerated until lunch time.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 13:11:50
I think kids bringing their lunch to school is a lot less popular then it once was. Going home for lunch is also verboten most places.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 13:28:27
1bbqboy

I think kids bringing their lunch to school is a lot less popular then it once was. Going home for lunch is also verboten most places.

I know from the hoops my niece has to jump through to send lunch with her kids, it's just easier to have them eat what the school makes. The restrictions on what they are allowed to bring (primarily because of food allergies) makes it so there really are only about six things they can have.
ces1948
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 15:15:44
I've started to dislike the pickles that aren't sold refrigerated like Vlassic, Mt. Olive etc. Really do like the Claussen, Ba-Tampte and other refrigerated brands much better. What's the difference in how these are made?
SeamusD
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 15:39:58
ces1948

I've started to dislike the pickles that aren't sold refrigerated like Vlassic, Mt. Olive etc. Really do like the Claussen, Ba-Tampte and other refrigerated brands much better. What's the difference in how these are made?

No idea, but I like the refrigerated ones better now also, but just dills. Sweet I don't have a preference for as long as they're not too sweet. I won't buy Mt. Olive anymore, of any type. My tastes have changed I guess.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 16:48:28
random thought:

No matter how many pounds the package of bacon is, it gets cooked at one time...and eaten within 24 hours. It's really damn hard to control bacon.
bartl
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/07 22:23:39
ChrisOC When I was in elementary school my mother would pack tuna salad sandwiches in a brown bag.  That sandwich would be on a shelf, not refrigerated until lunch time.

My mother would make the tuna sandwich the night before, and put it in the freezer overnight. By lunchtime, it had defrosted. Usually. Mostly.

Bart
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/08 09:45:55
Was the bread nice and soggy?
SeamusD
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/08 14:00:34
bartl

ChrisOC When I was in elementary school my mother would pack tuna salad sandwiches in a brown bag.  That sandwich would be on a shelf, not refrigerated until lunch time.

My mother would make the tuna sandwich the night before, and put it in the freezer overnight. By lunchtime, it had defrosted. Usually. Mostly.

Bart

In elementary school, my grandmother would make me a Carl Buddig ham sandwich with mayo, and put it on top of an ice cold can of Dr. Pepper in my lunch bag. The soda and the sandwich would be just right by noon.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Random Food Related Thoughts 2013/08/08 14:02:46
I still quite regularly put something frozen in my lunch when I head for work so I don't have to deal with blue ice or finding space in the refrigerator. Although mine is never a sandwich; it's usually something leftover from a dinner I've frozen.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2