Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart"

Author
Hungry Dog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
2013/08/06 12:21:13 (permalink)

Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart"

Hi all,
     I have an "New York City Street Cart" from  All American Hot Dog Carts in Miami. I have had it for about a year now and have to put up with a very severe sooting problem. Just the two 1/3 pans over the two burners. The middle one gets very little soot. But this stuff is so bad I have to scrape it off the bottoms of the pans before I do anything or this S**t gets everywhere.

WHAT I HAVE DONE ALREADY

I have removed and cleaned the entire burner assembly including both gas valves supplying  the burners. I have removed the Trip basin sink and panel & inspected the 1/8" copper propane line for kinks. I have also replaced the regulator, twice. I know normally to avoid soot you need to have a proper gas/air mixture. My flame is mostly yellow. I have adjusted the air valves on the burners both ways with little difference. At the moment they are wide open. Man I am at a loss, can any one relate?
 It takes about 30-45 minutes to heat a gallon of water for my weenies. That seems a little long. What do you guys think?
 I have a griddle too, but that seems to work fine. Of course I have nothing to compare it to.

Anybody else every have similar problems? Could it be cheap burners or valves on the cart? Do I need new parts maybe?

Thanks Guys
Leo

20 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/06 13:01:18 (permalink)
    make sure that the burner is set with the right port size--ie---a burner with a "natural gas" port rather then a "LP gas" port will soot up like crazy and not burn as hot as it should---hence the yellow rather then blue flame---if that IS the probpem that can be fixed easily by changing that port

post edited by tiki - 2013/08/06 13:04:02
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/06 13:05:13 (permalink)
    Leo,
    Not the CO-OP, the corner store, Lowe's, Home Depot etc,  but the supplier where all of these outlets get their propane is the place to help you solve this. The Amerigas people in my area helped me solve a problem of the water not boiling quick enough by changing a part. I'm sure they will solve your soot problem too.
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/06 16:06:57 (permalink)
    I am not a expert but it's your air/fuel mixture.
    if it was working fine, you prolly have a clogged port or a failing part somewhere in the gas system.
    post edited by BpCBlake - 2013/08/06 16:08:43
    Hungry Dog
    Junior Burger
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/06 21:50:03 (permalink)
    >>>>make sure that the burner is set with the right port size--ie---a burner with a "natural gas" port rather then a "LP gas" port will soot up like crazy and not burn as hot as it should---hence the yellow rather then blue flame---if that IS the probpem that can be fixed easily by changing that port<<<<<
    Well good thought, something I had not considered. BUT it is a "Factory" Cart designed for Propane. If that were the case this Manufacturer would have to be pretty lame to let something like this slip thru Quality Control wouldn't you think?
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/06 22:28:31 (permalink)
    Hungry Dog,
    My cart was like new last August. Worked fine. As soon as it got cold it took a long time to boil the water. The office installed I'm sure worked fine in Michigan where it was built and it gets cold in Michigan I know,  but it would not work here in the cold at 5000 feet, and this is the Valley where I live. 
    Amerigas suggested another orifice and it worked fine. The propane distributor in our areay will solve your problem with one visit. That's their business. 
    Hungry Dog
    Junior Burger
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/06 22:54:58 (permalink)
    I have talked to my propane supplier, he was of little help at best. As I said I am at a loss here. Any propane wizards out there??
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/06 23:26:29 (permalink)
    Hungry Dog

Hi all,
        I have an "New York City Street Cart" from  All American Hot Dog Carts in Miami. I have had it for about a year now and have to put up with a very severe sooting problem. Just the two 1/3 pans over the two burners. The middle one gets very little soot. But this stuff is so bad I have to scrape it off the bottoms of the pans before I do anything or this S**t gets everywhere.

WHAT I HAVE DONE ALREADY

I have removed and cleaned the entire burner assembly including both gas valves supplying  the burners. I have removed the Trip basin sink and panel & inspected the 1/8" copper propane line for kinks. I have also replaced the regulator, twice. I know normally to avoid soot you need to have a proper gas/air mixture. My flame is mostly yellow. I have adjusted the air valves on the burners both ways with little difference. At the moment they are wide open. Man I am at a loss, can any one relate?
    It takes about 30-45 minutes to heat a gallon of water for my weenies. That seems a little long. What do you guys think?
    I have a griddle too, but that seems to work fine. Of course I have nothing to compare it to.

Anybody else every have similar problems? Could it be cheap burners or valves on the cart? Do I need new parts maybe?

Thanks Guys
    Leo

hmm, call the manufactor and ask them. 1/8 gas line sounds a little thin. and miami is hot and humid so maybe the cart is optimized for that climate. most of the good manufactors are happy to talk with you and tell you things to try.  a properly working cart should take less then 7 minutes from frozen to ready.

brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/07 00:46:08 (permalink)
    Hungry dog go to the yard the people who sell the propane to your little local supplier. Your supplier probably just pumps the gas into your bottle. The people who supply him has orifices and different attachments etc and can help you. They can repair propane heaters, and other propane appliances usually. Maybe you need to drive to another town where they are located.
    daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/08 01:12:21 (permalink)
    My flame is mostly yellow.that is the problem.it should be blue.the flame isn't getting enough air.check all vents that go to the flame area.something is blocked.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/08 01:43:33 (permalink)
    Yellow flame is most likely air/fuel mixture related, but also check that the manifold, that's where the little holes are that the gas comes out of creating the flame, is not burned out.  If the manifold is a cheap stamped thin metal type, it can burn out and instead of small holes there's usually a big open area.  In that case only thing to do is replace the manifold.
    bellehill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/08 14:44:39 (permalink)
    we had the same cart same problem.  lol   i changed the regulator went from a yellow to a blue flame. hope this helps.
    top^dog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/08 16:40:04 (permalink)
    does the griddle have a safety valve or just a pilot?... if just a pilot i might suspect the safety burner valve, valves....seeing you replaced the regulator and the orifice is clear it is also possiblt the propane gas itself or the propane tank/valve could be a proplem...maybe switch out tanks
    daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/09 21:22:06 (permalink)
    always open the tank valve slowly.there is a safety valve in the tank that slows the gas if it comes out to fast.also one reg isn't the same as the next.there are high pressure and low pressure reqs. red on them is usually a high pressure and should be cast or stamped on them.
    Hungry Dog
    Junior Burger
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/12 09:42:26 (permalink)
    OK I think I will tow the cart to a Propane dealer and have them check it out, I really gotta get this fixed. Thanks for your input.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/12 13:00:30 (permalink)
    Let us know what part they sell you to fix it please?
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/12 16:31:43 (permalink)
    As has been said....it's an air/gas ratio. Are your burners cast iron and getting a little rusty?
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/12 17:51:35 (permalink)
    might be regulator fail too
    top^dog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/08/23 08:47:38 (permalink)
    forgot to mention this but you may have an air flow problem even if your burner air flow wings are wide open in some cases the air flow may be stagnant or you may have a flow restriction....thats one of the reasons restaurants have huge exhausts ...it creates an air flow in the kitchen keeping the fryers,grills happy. if you can open the panel to your gas pilot the extra air may help
    djtomatoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/09/19 13:33:31 (permalink)
    BpCBlake
    I WOULD AGREE.................GO TO A BUSINESS THAT SELLS STOVES/BURNERS, AND ASK THEM

I am not a expert but it's your air/fuel mixture.
    if it was working fine, you prolly have a clogged port or a failing part somewhere in the gas system.

cosmo64
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 166
    Re:Severe Sooting problem with my "All American Hot Dog Cart" 2013/09/27 16:53:01 (permalink)
    I have the very same cart & had the very same problem.

The cause was the burners were tilted and not seated very well. The cause for the tilting is the way All American designed it. The burners are attached to a piece of stainless that is riveted in place (a better design would have been to hold it in place with stainless screws).

The fix is to drill out the original rivets and re install with new in order to tighten it back up.
    or
    Just push down (not in) on the burner knobs, this will re-seat them and cure the soot problem (at least it did on mine).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1