Roosters are ready for the pot

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2013/08/10 10:01:23

Most people don't have the chance to cook Roosters now a days. Has any of the roadfood family cooked one???????????????????? Or have you had Rooster at any roadfood stops. We have about 25 chickens left over after selling about 25 Hens and a few Roosters. My son wants to put them on the rotisserie, I don't agree, I see this as a tough bird when finished. I'm going to make another Rooster, Coq au Vin, I figure this way we could try both, it may be a good chance to show him that stewing and slow cooking is better. The corn crop has been in for the last 10 days, I am trying to hook up all our meals with corn. I have to get my fill, nothing like fresh out of the field. If you have cooked a Rooster in the past let me know any tips you may have, or cooking methods you have tried that worked..............thx.............Bill 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/10 10:57:50
I can't give you any tips,  but when I was a kid living with my grandparents in Orange my grandmother used to cook those old roosters all the time. I enjoyed them, but that was likely because each one was one more damned chicken I didn't have to feed and clean up after.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/10 11:06:49
Bill
I cooked rooster when I lived in France in farm country.  My friends were dairy farmers but of course had chickens, rabbits, ducks, etc.  Once in awhile she would give me a rooster.  Of course I made the traditional coq (rooster in French) au vin and I also made coq au pruneaux which is the bird cooked in red wine, cognac and prunes.  I know the prune thing  sounds crazy but it is really good.  It's a spin on the traditional lapin au pruneaux which is made with rabbit.  You have to cook the bird (cut up of course) low and slow and in the end it will never fall off the bone.  The meat will still be firm but very tasty.  Good luck!
pnwchef
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/10 13:29:05
Hi Lisa, I think I'll go with a Coq Au Vin with using a Red wine, I don't have any white. When you were in France did they let the bird rest in the refer for a day or two. Some of the recipes I read said they left in to sit for a few days. I may even brine it over night............Thx for the help...Bill........P.S...I see your Sous even honed in on this ..............
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/10 13:42:16
Bill
She would kill and dress the bird and give it to me the same day and yes, I would let it "rest" in the fridge for a few days.  Here's a tip to make the sauce really good:  when everything is cooked, remove the coq pieces to a plate and to the red wine/pearl onion/mushroom/lardon mixture add a good splash of Cognac.  Also don't use any wimpy red wine, get a big hearty bold red.  This is making me hungry.  I'd make it but MH is allergic to mushrooms and it wouldn't be the same without.  Bon appetit!!! 
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/10 14:48:42
My inlaws had chickens years ago=my part was to gut them. Couldn't eat chickens for years!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/10 15:38:04
Growing up on the farm we raised chickens (LOTS of Chickens)  I would feed and gather eggs daily.  One day I got cornered by an old rooster that was off his meds.  He was a psycho rooster, he would fly at me and try to spur me.  I screamed so loud mom could hear me inside the house, she came out running and swatted him down with a broom so I could get out of the chicken house.  She pinned him down and grabbed his legs and handed him to me.  I had the joy of wringing that (&&%&%&)%ers neck and chopping off his head.

He made really good chicken and noodles.

Roosters are usually good for stewing or like in noodles or dumplings.

and when i am talking noodles im not talking the egg noodles from the store, im talking the old german "pasta" type noodles or amish noodles.  Served over mashed potatoes, (Yes it is an Indiana thing to serve chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/10 16:51:16
When I was just a little kid I had the pleasure of dragging 100 pound sacks of chicken feed around after they were delivered, and feeding the several hundred chickens in my grandfather's coop. I also was given the opportunity, every day, to clean out the mess those birds made. I so loved those chickens that my favorite chore was to grab the birds my grandmother needed and bring them to her so she could chop their heads off. And when it was time for a rooster I'd chase down the ones that so often pecked and spurred me. I so hoped she'd finally allow me the pleasure of swinging her hatchet.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/10 17:15:18
Give the Rooster some credit.
He was just "Protecting his girls" from Predators! " />" />
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/10 17:26:16
Michael Hoffman

When I was just a little kid I had the pleasure of dragging 100 pound sacks of chicken feed around after they were delivered, and feeding the several hundred chickens in my grandfather's coop. I also was given the opportunity, every day, to clean out the mess those birds made. I so loved those chickens that my favorite chore was to grab the birds my grandmother needed and bring them to her so she could chop their heads off. And when it was time for a rooster I'd chase down the ones that so often pecked and spurred me. I so hoped she'd finally allow me the pleasure of swinging her hatchet.

I also understand your issue.  My grandfather who owned several hundred acres close to Cumberland Gap had a bunch of chickens that were free range.  He had several roosters.  When I ws about six years old, one attacked me.  My grandfather observed that and immediately dispatched the rooster.  Where the rooster went after than but I would guess the stew pot was in order.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/10 21:37:57
pnwchef

We have about 25 chickens left over after selling about 25 Hens and a few Roosters. My son wants to put them on the rotisserie, I don't agree, I see this as a tough bird when finished. I'm going to make another Rooster, Coq au Vin, I figure this way we could try both, it may be a good chance to show him that stewing and slow cooking is better.
I'd probably skip the rotisserie as well but I'd like to see how one would turn out if it was barbecued or smoked.  In fact, the two of you could combine forces and start one on the pit and finish it up in a stew or slow cooker.

I'll bet if I headed to the farmers' market some Saturday I could line one up.  Hmmm...
BelleReve
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/11 12:23:24
Seems like I read that coq au vin was intended for old hens that outlived their usefulness (stop laying) so I would think it would work well for rooster.  

Something else you could do - depending on what area of the country you're from and what you call it - you could smother, fricassee, or stew those roosters - a long slow simmer, resulting in tender, fall off the bone meat, and a rich brown gravy.
tmiles
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/11 19:05:09
I don't have roosters, but because I have a farm, I sometimes get calls for them. They sell at the sale barn for good money.........more than an already processed young chicken. I am told that people who know cooking buy them and seek them out, probably to make a meal like lleechief does.
pnwchef
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/12 14:03:21
I think you all are right, stewing, braising, is the way to go. I didn't know Ann had a hidden past of being a serial chicken killer, goes to show, you never really know a person. I wish she lived closer, I could use her talents over the next few weeks, it looks like we have about 15 Roosters. I will post pictures when we start the process...............Thx to all for the comments..............nice to be on a site with so many people with a killer instinct................Bill
pnwchef
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/15 14:14:26
This morning 6 AM the Sun coming up, the water is simmering at 140 degrees, the Rooster is walking out of the coop. My Sun with the net waiting for the right time to lower the boom. The next thing I hear is, Holy sh-t this Rooster is fast. I when out to help, the rest I can't show hear......

This is the Stock pot and burner I use. I had this made for demo wok cooking for catering, it works great for what I'm doing here.

These jets will boil water in no time

these are the two Roosters both about 3.5 lbs 16 weeks old. I will let them rest in the refer for a few days. The next step will be slow cooking in wine sauce.................I'll be back in a few days with the final results.

pnwchef
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/18 19:13:54
I took one of the 3.5 lb Roosters and made a Coq au Vin, turned out great. I didn't have any pearl onions, I cooked it with onion, but, the pearl onions would have been nice for presentation.........served it with Roasted Potatoes.

agnesrob
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/18 19:43:00
Beautiful!!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/18 19:49:19
pnwchef:  That is a feast and a great presentation.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/19 11:42:59
Lovely!  Just like in France!  You done good.......but of course.......you're a chef!
pnwchef
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/19 13:01:33
Thanks, Paul, Agnes, Lisa...........I am posting this because there are always Roosters on Craigs List, if you have the room in you yard to process one, why not.

This is our corn field, The second field is coming into it's own, time to try the corn.

The Chicken livers are from the four Roos we processed Saturday.......I thought a Chicken liver breakfast with our Fresh Hens eggs and fresh corn on the cob would be great.

I soaked the Chicken livers in milk while I went out to pick the corn. I then dredged in Seasoned flour s&p. Fried them in olive oil, the rest you can see..............I didn't make the rye toast, maybe next year........

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/19 13:12:25
Surely, that's not catsup on those beautiful livers ...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/19 13:25:00
That is an all American breakfast and it looks very good even though I am not exactly a chicken liver fan.  Good looking corn crop also.  Is the corn Peaches and cream???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/19 13:38:39
Nice looking meal but for me I'll take the corn and the livers.  Hold the rest......especially the ketchup!
pnwchef
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/19 13:47:35
Michael Hoffman

Surely, that's not catsup on those beautiful livers ...

Michael, I made a Roux and thickened the Rooster blood and topped the livers. Now call Lisa and have her give you a smack for me................I love Ketchup on Livers.............We use to have private club/bar picnics in BPT. They would half freeze the beef liver to slice thin. They then put the thin slices in seasoned flour, fried in bacon grease and served hot.........Liver, bacom and fried onion sandwiches on jewish rye, some of the best sandwiches I have ever had...........Yes Michael, I put ketchup on those also.........it wasn't easy eating that sandwich while shooting craps.....................Bill
pnwchef
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/19 13:56:37
Paul, they don't call it peaches & cream but it is a close cousin..........
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/19 17:25:34
I just got 2 dozen ears of P&C today straight from the field.  I know what I am having for breakfast (never thought of CotC for breakfast though)

Goetta, runny eggs and CotC Yum

Bill - You did make enough for the whole class to share right?? you know what happens when you don't have enough to share?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcokL59jeqU
pnwchef
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/19 20:32:00
CajunKing

I just got 2 dozen ears of P&C today straight from the field.  I know what I am having for breakfast (never thought of CotC for breakfast though)

Goetta, runny eggs and CotC Yum

Bill - You did make enough for the whole class to share right?? you know what happens when you don't have enough to share?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcokL59jeqU

Talking like that, you better have a badge, OR, don't you need no stinking badge........
pnwchef
Re:Roosters are ready for the pot 2013/08/20 22:29:50
We put the 16 week old, 4 lb Rooster on the rotisserie tonight. The breast was melt in your mouth tender, the leg was tender, the thigh was a bit tougher but still good flavor. I let the Rooster rest for three days in the refer. The Rooster was lightly seasoned inside and out.......I do expect the chickens to be a bit tough because they are free range and use their thigh and legs a lot more. This test of cooking a young rooster with dry heat passed with flying colors.............Bill