The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Rochester, NY

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1137
Rochester, NY Sat, 08/10/13 1:44 PM (permalink)
Will be there next week, any suggestions for breakfast and lunch places, very informal, where the locals might eat? Also, any types of food from that area I should try? 

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
    Re:Rochester, NY Sat, 08/10/13 5:03 PM (permalink)
    Be sure to get a "Beef on a Wick".  Originated in Buffalo but available in Rochester.
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=beef+on+a+wick&id=84B768281C72CA3795D6B10D60C28D84F6B94326&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=84B768281C72CA3795D6B10D60C28D84F6B94326&selectedIndex=0
    <message edited by Foodbme on Sat, 08/10/13 5:05 PM>

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Rochester, NY Sat, 08/10/13 5:04 PM (permalink)
      Flour City Diner is now closed

James Brown's Place - 1356 Culver Rd
      Great Local Diner

Original Steve's Diner - 1694 Penfield Rd
      Expect a wait, great pancakes

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
        Re:Rochester, NY Sat, 08/10/13 9:38 PM (permalink)
        Nick Tahou Hots on W. Main Street. I really enjoyed my Garbage Plate there.

buffetbuster

Re:Rochester, NY Sat, 08/10/13 9:58 PM (permalink)
          I highly recommend LDR Char Pit for their steak sandwich and then walk a few doors down for outstanding frozen custard at Abbott's.

Ed Face

• Total Posts: 20
            Re:Rochester, NY Sun, 08/11/13 10:47 AM (permalink)
            I would suggest Don's Original for Ground Rounds (burgers), white hot dogs & onion rings. LDR Char Pit for the ribeye sandwich, and Nick Tahou's for the Garbage Plate.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
              Re:Rochester, NY Wed, 08/21/13 2:14 PM (permalink)
              A lot of my friends (from Syracuse) who reside in Rochester, actually prefer the food at the Dinosaur BBQ in Rochester, over the one in Syracuse.

When I'm in the Rochester area, I enjoy going to the quaint village of Pittsford. And along the canal, is Schoen Place, and the greek/mediterranean eatery: Aladdin's. The food is very good, the atmosphere is really nice along the canal in the old canal village and very affordable!

If you can't leave the city of Rochester, there is a another location on Monroe Ave.

http://myaladdins.com/

The Village of Pittsford also has some boutique shops, pubs, and ice cream/dessert shops, etc. It's a nice place to take a stroll, and a little less crowded than the more popular quaint Village of Fairport, just a little further East on the Erie Canal - with its own set of roadfoody choices. 

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Rochester, NY Wed, 08/21/13 2:39 PM (permalink)
                Janet is, at this very moment making the right turn on the Thruway near Buffalo, heading to Canandaigua to see her daughter and family for a week. This is her first 'solo' roadtrip of any length (700 miles )  she has a list of the Rochester area Foodie-high points in case they take time to explore that part of the Finger Lakes.  she hopes to visit several of the fine Farmer's Markets in the area.
                  Naturally, I will fret a bit until she arrives safely.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Rochester, NY Wed, 08/21/13 2:44 PM (permalink)
                  Janet is, at this very moment making the right turn on the Thruway near Buffalo, heading to Canandaigua to see her daughter and family for a week. This is her first 'solo' roadtrip of any length (700 miles )  she has a list of the Rochester area Foodie-high points in case they take time to explore that part of the Finger Lakes.  She hopes to visit several of the fine Farmer's Markets in the area.
                    Naturally, I will fret a bit until she arrives safely. I have a stack of prepared meals, and the two Scotties to keep me company for the week.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                    Re:Rochester, NY Wed, 08/21/13 4:21 PM (permalink)
                    I'd hoped that by now you would have stopped using "the two Scotties" as a euphemism for working girls.

BelleReve

Re:Rochester, NY Wed, 08/21/13 6:10 PM (permalink)
                      Dinosaur BBQ is an excellent recommendation  - I passed on the day's special - chicken-andouille gumbo, instead got a small rib plate with two sides  - cole slaw and beans, also had a taste of the pulled pork which was great.   And many thanks to the couple seated at the window who let us look over their shoulders to see the aqueduct/waterfall.

We were in town for a wedding so didn't eat around as much as I'd hoped.  Couple places - the hotel where we were staying had a small footpath, within a short walking distance to a Greek restaurant, the Acropolis, which is open every day.  The rice pudding and the pita gyro with a cup of lentil soup were delicious. 

We had report about how good Phil's pizza was down Chili. but didn't get there myself.

cannoli- ate it twice, once at the wedding and at the City public market.  It's a little different from Brocato's in NOLA, but still very good and a steal at $1.  There was another couple in our group that were thrilled to find and eat some curds at the market too. 

Wegmann's - Just amazing, never seen a store like this - my brother and his wife bought some bread, a little cheese, some blueberries and had themselves a picnic out on the gorunds when they got back to the hotel.  What I wanted was to find some Mallomars, is there a season for them, or do you think the store was just out of them? 

This is getting too long and I should move over to Trip Reports for the rest - but thanks for your tips and making this such a wonderful trip.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
                        Re:Rochester, NY Wed, 08/21/13 6:34 PM (permalink)
                        I lived in Rochester for about a year and a half in the early 1980s. Glad you liked Wegmans; it is a great store.

Didn't realize you were going to be in Chili.  Did you pronounce it correctly? 

BelleReve

Re:Rochester, NY Wed, 08/21/13 6:43 PM (permalink)
                          rumaki - no, we were corrected by the desk clerk but everyone in our group kept calling it Chile.    

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                            Re:Rochester, NY Thu, 08/22/13 8:46 AM (permalink)
                            Glad you enjoyed Dinosaur BBQ. I grew up in Syracuse, and I have only been to that location - and still go there when I visit family. But many of my HS and college buddies reside in Rochester and they rave over the Rochester version. It's their connection to our hometown, and they love it.

Wegman's, in its ever expansion in the mid-atlantic,  opened in Crofton/Gambrills MD the very same weekend I moved (after 12 years) from DC to the suburbs into my Crofton home. Co-incidence? I think not!

If you haven't seen this yet (as it has already gone viral on FaceBook), you must check it out: 25 Reasons Wegmans is The Greatest Supermarket The World Will Ever Know

Hope you had a fun weekend!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com