Where is the "Road" in Roadfood?

Sirloin
2013/08/10 16:28:22
I have read the JMS books for many years, and I have loved reading them.  I have always wondered though... Where is the "Road" in roadfood?  The books often mention unique things to see or visit while in the area and even where the best state penitentiary (sp) is to go shopping, but other than the odd mention here or there the road gets left out.

There are several posters that do a wonderful "job" of posting their trip reports, and their reports are much more than the food itself.  Their reports are full of the "road" portion of the compound word "roadfood".  I congratulate and thank those posters who take the time to do the comprehensive trip reports.  I know what a PITA they can be, and the time that goes into them.  I wish I was travelling more and posted such wonderful reports.

I love seeing the museums from around the country, the local, state and national parks.
I love seeing the Art Deco buildings that Cliff finds, and the ball parks the Dale finds.  The scenery in Ralph's Texas thread is breath taking, and there are many others out there.
I love the odd roadside attractions that dot the landscape.
I love the old amusement and trolly parks that still exist, or the old boardwalks too.
I would love to be able to visit all the zoos across the country.

There is so much more of the "road" out there that never gets discussed or shared with.

So am I off my nut?  or Where is the "road" in roadfood?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/10 16:52:47
It's in your heart and mind.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/10 19:06:19
It's on the sidewalks!

In photo...

and chalk art...

It's a good idea to let everyone on the State Penitentiary shopping line ...go ahead of you.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/10 22:04:15
You forgot to mention all the closed restaurants that The Travelin Man finds!
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/10 22:28:48
CajunKing

I have read the JMS books for many years, and I have loved reading them.  I have always wondered though... Where is the "Road" in roadfood?  The books often mention unique things to see or visit while in the area and even where the best state penitentiary (sp) is to go shopping, but other than the odd mention here or there the road gets left out.

There are several posters that do a wonderful "job" of posting their trip reports, and their reports are much more than the food itself.  Their reports are full of the "road" portion of the compound word "roadfood".  I congratulate and thank those posters who take the time to do the comprehensive trip reports.  I know what a PITA they can be, and the time that goes into them.  I wish I was travelling more and posted such wonderful reports.

I love seeing the museums from around the country, the local, state and national parks.
I love seeing the Art Deco buildings that Cliff finds, and the ball parks the Dale finds.  The scenery in Ralph's Texas thread is breath taking, and there are many others out there.
I love the odd roadside attractions that dot the landscape.
I love the old amusement and trolly parks that still exist, or the old boardwalks too.
I would love to be able to visit all the zoos across the country.

There is so much more of the "road" out there that never gets discussed or shared with.

So am I off my nut?  or Where is the "road" in roadfood?

The website that covers the "road" portion almost completely (and is up-dated daily) is http://www.roadsideamerica.com/ .  I don't think any other website comes even close to covering the "road" portion, and you can search locations on their home page for anything you might want to locate.  Roadfood and Roadside America in combination cover any trip you might want to take.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 03:09:59
^^ That.

buffetbuster

You forgot to mention all the closed restaurants that The Travelin Man finds!

Pick one thing to be good at...and excel. 

That's my motto.
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 07:35:28
Well put, Cajun!  I, too, enjoy seeing the sights that so many here have posted, and it really balances the overall trip experience.  For myself, I've learned that if I don't get out in nature on a trip, I feel like I'm just trying to do too much--like I'm on a mission to accomplish something to check off my bucket list.  Nature, as I'm sure it is for many people, is like a sanctuary where one can slow down and focus on beautiful things.  I think zoos would present a similar feeling--enjoying and appreciating the amazing animals that walk this Earth.

Finding things you're not looking for is such a treat--like the chalk art that CC posted.

And even though I don't know Travelin Man, I think of him now when I find a place closed.

I'll never get to all the pies that BB has posted, but I love that we can all live vicariously through everyone's trip reports!!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 09:55:51
The most frustrating part of traveling is not closed restaurants but driving by an interesting restaurant at 9 AM in the morning after having a big breakfast. Timing is everything.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 11:42:29
In my opinion, the best part of traveling is the anticipation and planning.  I always use Roadfood when planning my stops but not my route.  The roads and sights are often better than the destination.

In a few months, I have a Davydd trip planned around the western half of the USA for Roz's PhD. graduation.  I will have planned each and every stop, restaurant, market and hotel.  I think it will be close to 8000 miles.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 12:00:23
My big disappointment, was not meeting you , Roz, and Bushie this year in Mobile. However, had a great time. The anticipation was awesome-and seeing my on line friends was fantastic.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 13:35:50
Ahhh Yes - There could be a book written about all the places that TTM has been TTMed at.

Davydd - I would totally agree, and not having the time to come back another day.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 14:51:52
Some other "Road" things that have appeared here in Roadfood.

Presidential Burial Places
Museums
Capitol Buildings
Colleges
Unique Buildings
Closed Restaurants (We love you TTM)
National Parks
Bridges
Civil War Sites
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 15:16:12
Hey CK, what category does the world's largest corkscrew fall into?

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 15:17:36
Boy, I'd sure like to have the bottle of wine that opens.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 15:23:06
Umm that would be in the ODD roadside attractions.
Like the Brooks Ketchup Bottle in IL/MO area
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 15:24:57
I just looked up my Presidential Burial Site List. I have been to 19 of them. Need to get West and North East more often.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 16:37:29
When you road trip this is the ultimate, though a lot easier than it used to be. :)

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 18:07:51
Nice shot of your RV on your Roadfood adventure.  Mine will not be nearly as long but 8000K is nothing to sneeze at.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Davydd

When you road trip this is the ultimate, though a lot easier than it used to be. :)

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Where is the "Road" in Roadfood? 2013/08/11 22:32:59
I've got over 14,000 miles on the road this year already since March 1 and probably will do another 5-6,000 miles yet before October.