Helpful ReplyHot!Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants?

Sirloin
2013/08/12 10:47:05
This is a vastly entertaining, practical, and informative presentation on this:

Among the many topics discussed are how to access "the secret menu" and why (the food and value reasons) one should avoid restaurants with too many beautiful women as customers!

Enjoy!

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/10/28 07:19:45
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2013/08/12 20:38:43
Yeah, 49 minute long video. Can you give the short version?
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2013/08/13 09:41:41
Sure.  Here you go:

https://tylercowensethnicdiningguide.com/?page_id=2393
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/10/28 07:21:25
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2013/08/13 10:25:14
This is what I've been needing for a while. The food scene here in Austin is awesome but sometimes just deciding where to eat can get very tiresome. I do not like to eat with all the hipsters and avoid trendy places so this goes over very well for me. I'm going to start checking out the strip malls.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2013/08/13 12:07:40
Indeed!  But I do wish someone would listen to Professor Cowen's presentation; really, it is quite fascinating. 

BTW: more than 1/2 the video is Q&A.

FYI:  Tyler's vocation is as a Professor of Economics.  His avocation is adventurous dining and writing about it with no "schtik or agenda".
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2013/08/14 23:32:49
Thanks, Jim! The expanded article is here.

Good stuff. I don't watch many videos any more. I don't know why, my attention span has shrunk to that of a fly.
tairoylance112
Junior Burger
Flagged as Spam (2)
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2014/10/26 12:03:48
An important criterion for these rankings is authenticity. According to Ewing, a restaurant offering a certain national cuisine should serve food that someone  of that background would both "recognize and appreciate.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2014/10/28 07:29:51
A spammer reopened this thread.

Good!

Check out Dr. Cowen's video. 

Truly, it is both interesting and entertaining.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2014/10/28 08:38:57
MetroplexJim
Sure.  Here you go:

https://tylercowensethnicdiningguide.com/?page_id=2393

Here is a link to the expanded text of Tyler Cowen's two minute video in the link above.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/six-rules-for-dining-out/308929/?single_page=true
nancywatson01
Junior Burger
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/08 06:01:39
very nice video for restaurants ..
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/08 07:22:50
Thanks for re-opening this thread.

Tyler has some unique insights into ethnic restaurants gained from (jeez, I can't believe how quickly time passes) over 35 years of assiduous exploration. 

And, like most economists, he has a wonderful sense of humor!
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/08 07:37:37
And it's a good thing Ms. Watson's 2 other identical posts got deleted or we'd have to refer to her as Jimmy Two-Times Nancy Three-Times.

I recall Tyler Cowen and his list from quite a few years ago.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/08 09:34:13
eruby

I recall Tyler Cowen and his list from quite a few years ago.

BTW, patronizing ethnic restaurants and markets: is there a better way to meet exotic females?
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/08 11:14:50
In Boston we would often go to a seafood restaurant in Chinatown and were always seated in the "Caucasion Section" with hookers.  They were not exactly exotic.
HollyDolly
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/08 12:04:03
 In regards to chinese, we usually look to see if there are actual chinese or other asians eating in the place.
Also like Sichuan Sa in San Antonio, on their website they list dishes and ingredients. One dish  they have listed has beef tendon in it.And yes, there is such a dish in China,plus some other stuff  that is not chinese american.
Nikko Gardens in Anchorage,Alaska  was popular with us. It was authenic and you'd see japanese businessmen in there.That was back in the 1960s when daddy was stationed at Elmendorf AFB.
As far as german food goes, my dad's family once in a while would go to Mader's .It was for a special occasion only as his family was german and grandma  made it all the time. I recall daddy talking about grandma making "Come Again in the Morning".Not sure how to spell the german name. It's a dish made of left overs according to him.
My dad  wanted it when he was TDY in 1958 to Germany and England. The chef at the restaurant  in Dusseldorf told him to come back tomorrow and he'd make it for him. I asked, well did you go back?He said yes, and the chef made the dish for him.I asked was it good.He replied "Yes, it was good,but not as good as your grandmother's."
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/08 12:13:15
After having several meals in the "hooker section" we asked to be seated in the regular part of the restaurant where the Asians were eating.  That's when we stopped looking at the menu to order.  The other folks had all kinds of good looking dishes that we did not see on the menu.  We just pointed and said, "Bring me that, please."  From then on we ate really well!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/08 12:58:05
Bob hates American Chinese food. The reason being is he worked twice in China, and the owners of the factory were very generous and catered many meals that were awesome( according to him) Yet, he is not a foodie like me, and couldn't really describe what he had. However, no offense to anyone, but the buckets of slop they fed their workers freaked him out. I believe what he saw...
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/08 19:09:24
lleechef
In Boston we would often go to a seafood restaurant in Chinatown and were always seated in the "Caucasion Section" with hookers.  They were not exactly exotic.

Just out of curiosity, were the abovementioned professionals Asian females looking for Caucasian clients?  In all my years I've never seen a 'scene' quite like that in an otherwise respectable restaurant. 

That said, the closest I've ever seen is the bar at the Prime Rib in WDC where very well-dressed, very well-mannered young women seem able to make new friends easily.  But, they are tossed immediately at the first overt hint of a solicitation.  The minimum ante to get into that game is four figures.  None of the many females I took there ever sensed the presence of 'professionals'.  Most would have been horrified by such knowledge. 
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/08 22:12:10
MJ
The hookers were Caucasian and Asian.  It was weird.  But when we moved to the "Asian" part of the restaurant the food improved dramatically.  It was wonderful.  But all in all, the hookers were nice......
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/09 03:14:53
lleechef
MJ
The hookers were Caucasian and Asian.  It was weird.  But when we moved to the "Asian" part of the restaurant the food improved dramatically.  It was wonderful.  But all in all, the hookers were nice......

With six you get egg roll......or 
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/10 08:25:09
lleechef
MJ

By 'nice' I take it that they were not soliciting aggressively, (not "good at what they did for a living").

------------------------

EDIT:  Your post brought back a memory from my first marriage. 

During Mrs. Metro #1's and my first visit to Boston (picture two 20 y.o.'s who were raised in New Wilmington), as we were walking down Washington St. I noticed an especially stunning 'professional' and brought her to my wife's attention. 

She was shocked!  She had heard of that 'profession', but she was genuinely surprised by the 'lady's' pulchritude. 

Wife told me that she had assumed that prostitutes were all unattractive women with no other marketable talent.  As they couldn't attract a man or earn a living doing anything else, they were forced to pursue that profession!

------------------------

Being raised in New Wilmington:  Priceless!

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2015/05/10 08:50:30
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/10 10:48:37
Being raised in New Wilmington:  clueless!!  The hookers were there for the same reason as us.........we were hungry, it was 2AM and Chinatown was the only option.  Oh, they also served "cold tea".
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/10 10:57:38
MetroplexJim
And, like most economists, he has a wonderful sense of humor!

Good one!
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/18 08:09:15
MetroplexJim
lleechef

Just out of curiosity, were the abovementioned professionals Asian females looking for Caucasian clients?  In all my years I've never seen a 'scene' quite like that in an otherwise respectable restaurant. 

That said, the closest I've ever seen is the bar at the Prime Rib in WDC where very well-dressed, very well-mannered young women seem able to make new friends easily.  But, they are tossed immediately at the first overt hint of a solicitation.  The minimum ante to get into that game is four figures.  None of the many females I took there ever sensed the presence of 'professionals'.  Most would have been horrified by such knowledge. 

Second only to The Prime Rib for hooker action was The Palm.

Or so I've heard.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/18 11:13:12
eruby

Second only to The Prime Rib for hooker action was The Palm.

Or so I've heard.

The Palm is far more brightly lit, so you can see that the tail on your 5# lobster came off a 3#'er.
And is has a far less elegant 'bar scene; in fact, loud drunks are tolerated if they are regulars. 
So, the meat there is not as aged; less than prime, IMHO.
Phildelmar
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/18 14:09:49
Lets be politically correct here. They were either a "flourish of strumpets' or "an anthology of pros"
Phildelmar
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/18 14:09:49
Lets be politically correct here. They were either a "flourish of strumpets' or "an anthology of pros"
ThanksfortheCrepes
Junior Burger
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/19 09:01:21
Hi MetroplexJim,

I did watch the entire video, and while I didn't find it scintillatingly entertaining, your guy, Tyler, was dead on with everything he said.

We have a surprising and amazing array of ethnic restaurants here in Cary, NC, and they are the sources of the best and most economical meals available here.

Look for "Best of Cary" restaurants on yelp if anyone is interested. It's amazing for a smaller city like ours.

I'd post a link, but still not allowed.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
☄ Helpfulby ThanksfortheCrepes 2015/05/24 06:01:26
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/19 09:42:22
ThanksfortheCrepes
Hi MetroplexJim,

I did watch the entire video, and while I didn't find it scintillatingly entertaining, your guy, Tyler, was dead on with everything he said.

We have a surprising and amazing array of ethnic restaurants here in Cary, NC, and they are the sources of the best and most economical meals available here.

Look for "Best of Cary" restaurants on yelp if anyone is interested. It's amazing for a smaller city like ours.

I'd post a link, but still not allowed.

Hopefully this is the link you mean ThanksfortheCrepes

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Best+of+Cary+restaurants&find_loc=Cary%2C+NC&ns=1
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/23 08:23:31
lleechef
Being raised in New Wilmington:  clueless!!  The hookers were there for the same reason as us.........we were hungry, it was 2AM and Chinatown was the only option.  Oh, they also served "cold tea".

Now that you mention the 2 AM angle I understand completely.

BTW:  In New England, is it still true that iced tea is generally available only between Memorial and labor Days? 
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Ever wonder how to get "the real deal" in ethnic restaurants? 2015/05/23 11:38:10
MetroplexJim
lleechef

Now that you mention the 2 AM angle I understand completely.

BTW:  In New England, is it still true that iced tea is generally available only between Memorial and labor Days? 

I'm sure now you can get iced tea all year round.  The "cold tea" I spoke of was beer.  They could only serve alcohol until a certain time.  After that, they poured the beer into a tea pot and served it with tiny tea cups.......just like hot tea!
-->