Hot!Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2013/08/16 08:23:51
Have a beautiful beef bisket that I'm planning to smoke this weekend. I have, on hand, cherry, apple, maple, hickory and mesquite wood chips. Any input, suggestions or opinions on which I should use? I did a little internet research but would love to hear from you all here!

post edited by agnesrob - 2013/08/16 08:26:06
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 08:45:00
All of them would probably work.  Mesquite is very popular but personally, I always detected a slightly bitter taste.  I have a lot of friends that use fruit wood but the choice around Tennessee is hickory.  I have noticed in south Georgia, they use a lot of pecan and perhaps it is because of availability.

Perhaps availability is the key for any wood used.  I have even noticed in south Florida they use orange tree debris.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
brisketboy
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 09:05:35
For brisket I use post oak exclusively. Mesquite will burn to ho and over an extended period of time will impart a bitter taste as Sundancer 7 said.
brisketboy
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 09:10:24
I have also heard that in some areas folks will use old grape vines from local vinyards and this is supposed to impart a wonderful taste.

WarToad
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 09:20:58
I'm an applewood fan myself.  Smooth wood smoke, just the slightest fruit sweetness to it.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 09:48:15
I usually avoid mesquite, as stated above.   I usually use a mix of 50/50 hickory and applewood; good smoke flavor, less chance of bitterness  from too much hickory.
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 09:52:43
Apple and oak are my preferences for beef.
tiki
Filet Mignon
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 12:35:56
My fav for brisket is hickory or PECAN!
bet that apple would be fine though!

agnesrob
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 13:41:45
Thanks for all of the input! I'll be sure to post what I use and how it came out. Does anyone have any experience using Maple wood?
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 14:23:36
I would use hickory or oak.  Sometimes I add one chunk of cherry, apple or pecan.  Never mesquite.  Save that for fish.

The thing with mesquite is if you use too much it imparts a bitter taste.  Same with the others, but mostly with mesquite.

Use your wood chunks sparingly.
Buddy Dek
Cheeseburger
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 14:34:44
I have never tried smoking any kind of meat with maple wood only the standard fruit woods, and hickory or mesquite. I never heard any mention of it being used with smoked meats, but it definitely is in abundance here in the north east since hurricane Sandy trimmed all our trees.    Buddy
agnesrob
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 15:31:18
mar52

I would use hickory or oak.  Sometimes I add one chunk of cherry, apple or pecan.  Never mesquite.  Save that for fish.

The thing with mesquite is if you use too much it imparts a bitter taste.  Same with the others, but mostly with mesquite.

Use your wood chunks sparingly.

Thanks mar, from the research and input I've gotten here mesquite needs to be used sparingly. Sometimes when I am grilling steak, I throw a small handful of mesquite chips onto the coals right before they are done and it does add a nice subtle flavor.
agnesrob
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 15:37:17
Buddy Dek

I have never tried smoking any kind of meat with maple wood only the standard fruit woods, and hickory or mesquite. I never heard any mention of it being used with smoked meats, but it definitely is in abundance here in the north east since hurricane Sandy trimmed all our trees.    Buddy

Thanks Buddy, After doing a little more online research it sounds like Maple is a good wood to use for all kinds of meats. Given the fact that this is my first time smoking such a large and pricey hunk of meat I will not take a chance on using something I'm not familiar with. I will definitely try it with something else. I'll report on what the results are. 
3 Olives
Cheeseburger
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 16:43:37
Pecan or Oak chunks. Chips don't last long enough to do the job. Also, don't wet the wood-it will be fine as it is.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 17:05:37
In the past I have always used hickory or pecan for beef.  Fruit woods are nice and add a subtle flavor to the things smoked.
Mesquite is good for burgers or steaks, but not on a low and slow smoke, as discussed before it tends to be a bit acrid.

Maple is great with pork or other mild meats and fish too.

I use fruit woods especially for smoking turkey or chicken.

Another good thing with maple is smoked eggs (hardboiled) yummmy
bartl
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/16 17:20:12
I'm another 50/50: oak and hickory. Straight hickory is too strong, but it imparts a nice flavor to the meat.

Bart
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/17 00:49:06
I owned a Smoked Meat Business; "Pitts Home-Made Country Smoked Meats" and sold my products up it the FL Panhandle area. 
All we did was ham, bacon & sausage and all we used was Post Oak.
Fantastic Flavor, but since it's not on your list, I'd use Apple because I like a mild smoke flavor.
You need to go easy if you use Mesquite.
Incidentally, our slogan was, "If It's The Pitts, It's The Best!"
edwmax
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/17 07:42:33
I use pecan when doing my briskets because I have plenty of it.    Pecan is a close cousin to hickory.  But I think hickory is stronger in flavor.   ... From your choices, I would used the apple (fruit) because I have never had apple wood before.  The apple wood should give the brisket a sweeter flavor than the hickory (hardwood).  ... I think that would be your hit.

I smoke for about 1 1/2 hr, then warp with foil or put in a covered roaster for the next 2 1/2 to 3 hr.  Until temp is 185 or 190 deg.   ... I don't like a heavy smoke flavor.   ...  I use a small chunk of wood, abt 1 1/2" X 4 to 6" long & maybe a few small twigs (burns up quick, but a lot of smoke to start) for smoke.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/17 17:01:43
I mix Hickory with Fruitwoods---Apple, Cherry, Plum, Persimmon, and even some Apricot, if we have any tree trimmings from any or all of those. But mostly Hickory.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/17 17:44:28
Personally, being from Texas, my first choice would be Post Oak ~ if you can get it. Second choice would be a mix of 3/4 Hickory with 1/4 of the fruitwood of your choice. My choice would probably be Apple. Only because it sounds like a good mix.

Are you confused yet?
agnesrob
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/18 09:15:50
I put a rub on the brisket yesterday and placed in a bag to keep overnight in the fridge. I'm doing a Kocher's ring bologna and some Kocher's sausage too. I started them about 7am. I'm also going to make some slow cooked fresh green beans cooked with a ham hock.

After some research and input from everyone hereI decided to use a maple/apple wood combo. 1/4 maple to 3/4 apple wood. I'll report back when all is done.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/18 11:08:40
Looks and sounds very good. I'll be very interested in knowing how it comes out using your specific choice of fruitwoods.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/20 15:51:49
I did one a few weeks ago with red oak and it was delicious. Cherry would be a good choice too. mesquite won't work for a long smoke. Here's red oak:

Sliced, with a nice smoke ring

The slices turned out nice

If you can get oak, I'd try that. The cherry would be really nice too. Good luck with it!

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/20 18:35:10
Ed... a warning about the Traeger.  If you leave too much of the crusty, drippings built up on the heat plate you stand a chance of it catching fire when most likely you're not watching it.

We had that happen at the store with our demo unit.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/20 19:36:05
mar52

Ed... a warning about the Traeger.  If you leave too much of the crusty, drippings built up on the heat plate you stand a chance of it catching fire when most likely you're not watching it.

We had that happen at the store with our demo unit.

Yikes, Marlene, that's good to know. I keep my drip pan covered with foil and change it every few uses so I think I'm safe. Thanks for the heads up!
agnesrob
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/21 08:37:56
The maple/apple wood combo was a good one. A slightly sweet background taste which was pleasant. I was careful not to over smoke the meat. I pulled the bologna and sausage off at about 4 hours and cooked the brisket about 7 1/2 hours. The green beans I cooked with a ham hock were delicious. My husband made baked butter beans. He can't eat most beans (due to excess flatulence) but is able to digest lima and butter beans OK.  I also made a hash brown casserole that came out great!

It was definitely a feast!

Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/21 09:20:51
He can't eat the beans?  Or you just won't let him?

Looks like everything turned out fine.  The first brisket is always the most difficult!
agnesrob
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/21 10:02:07
ScreamingChicken

He can't eat the beans?  Or you just won't let him? 

Yeah, like you said. He can't eat broccoli or cauliflower either!
Thankfully we found out by accident he could eat the butter beans. Growing up in the south beans were on the menu at least once a week. It's his comfort food!
These baked beans he made were awesome!

post edited by agnesrob - 2013/08/21 11:57:19
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/21 13:12:57
Excellent results, Agnes!  Looks like you're a pro!

Ed. the foil is the way to go!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/21 14:01:56
Everything looks wonderful Agnes!!

Don't forget about the hot dogs...
FriedClamFanatic
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/21 15:30:35
Looks divine............and the secret hash brown recipe is...........................?????????????
agnesrob
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/21 16:03:30

First time making this. I will definitely make it again!

Hash-Brown Potato Casserole
12 servings

Ingredients
1 stick butter, melted, plus more for greasing
2 pounds large red potatoes, peeled(I used a pack of Simply Potatoes shredded potatoes)
2 cups sour cream
10 ounces Cheddar, shredded, (I used more)
One 10-ounce can cream of mushroom soup
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups crushed butter crackers, such as Ritz
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9- by 13- by 2-inch casserole dish.
Use a the large holes box grater or the grating blade of a food processor to shred the potatoes into a large bowl. Add the sour cream, Cheddar, soup, onion, salt and pepper. Turn the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the crushed crackers. Pour the melted butter over the top of the casserole. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake until lightly browned on top, about 20 minutes more.

post edited by agnesrob - 2013/08/21 16:07:03
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/21 16:25:02
agnesrob - a fine looking meal, that brisket looks like it turned out great. 
What rub did you use and did it inject it with anything??
post edited by CajunKing - 2013/08/21 16:27:25
agnesrob
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/21 16:42:30
Hi CK! I used Bone Sucking Rub. It's one I have used whenever doing beef ribs. No injection or brine. I would definitely consider that the next time. For my next long term cooking project I am thinking a pork shoulder.
post edited by agnesrob - 2013/08/21 16:50:45
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/21 18:43:08
It all looks delicious, agnesrob. And yes, Mar, I'm already planning on using the foil method next time. Be interesting to see the difference!
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/22 08:50:36
Agnes, since you like to grill things you could char the onion before chopping and adding it to the casserole.  I'll bet a smoked cheddar or similar cheese would be good, too.
agnesrob
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/22 20:37:50
Sounds like a good suggestion Brad!
SeamusD
Re:Wood to use to smoke a beef brisket - opinions wanted 2013/08/23 13:26:51
The bologna and sausage look incredible, as well as the brisket!

I always went the lazy route, instead of scaring up wood for my smoker, I always got the Jack Daniels oak barrel chips at the store. Never did me wrong.