Que & Stew of the Month (& Crappy Brit kitchens, too)

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 132
JRPfeff
  • Total Posts : 2367
  • Reward points : 0
Que & Stew of the Month (& Crappy Brit kitchens, too) - Sun, 08/18/13 7:51 PM
I told the ScreamingChicken that I was going to steal his Chicken of the Month idea and do the same thing with North Carolina barbecue.  I was going to name the thread Pig of the Month, but didn't want to change my screen-name to ScreamingPig.

The plan is to eat at one highly acclaimed NC barbecue restaurant each month and order the same items to compare: Barbecued Pork; Brunswick Stew; Cole Slaw; and Hush Puppies.

For the restaurants, I started my list with the 23 pits that are on the NC Barbecue Society's Historic Barbecue Trail (Trail Map). I then added all the NC barbecue places with RoadFood reviews and also added all the barbecue restaurants I found at the Our State website (NC's glossy monthly travel magazine). The list is up to 46 restaurants, with many showing up in multiple places.  However, only 5 restaurants are included in each of the 3 sources.

Pie Diva is visiting this weekend and we have started our comparison of the food at some of the pits.  Reports will begin to be posted very soon.

<message edited by JRPfeff on Fri, 12/27/13 8:47 AM>

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9526
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/19/13 2:15 AM
Great Idea!
You can name your book, "Piggin' Out in North Carolina"

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/19/13 6:48 AM
We definitely did that, hitting 3 pits this weekend. Photo upload issues have delayed the report.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9774
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/19/13 7:33 AM
Great idea and very much looking forward to reading these reports.  And don't underestimate ScreamingPig:  it rolls right off the tongue!

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/19/13 7:38 AM
Ditto what BB said! I look forward to you assessment of both eastern and western style que.

Treetop Tom
  • Total Posts : 321
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/19/13 12:38 PM
Don't try Grady's in Dudley, NC, first, because nothing else will stack up.  I love Wilber's in Goldsboro, NC, but even it pales in comparison to Grady's.

Pancho
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/19/13 1:57 PM
Great idea! I'm actually heading to South Carolina to the beach next week, and plan to hit this place about an hour away. Looking forward to the NC reports.
http://thescottsbbq.com/ Hey Tom...I even did a google maps to Dudley and Grady's...164 miles. Maybe, just maybe.
<message edited by Pancho on Mon, 08/19/13 2:02 PM>

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4710
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/19/13 2:49 PM
JRPfeff

I told the ScreamingChicken that I was going to steal his Chicken of the Month idea and do the same thing with North Carolina barbecue.
Well, they say that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery!

I'm looking forward to reading about places that might not have the name recognition of the big boys.

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/19/13 9:06 PM

August 2013 - Allen & Son Bar-B-Que, Chapel Hill & Pittsboro

Stop number one on our grand tour is the much acclaimed Allen & Son Bar-B-Cue in Pittsboro. I can't imagine a better setting for a barbecue pit or a more Q-like looking building than the Pittsboro location of Allen & Son. They even share their parking lot with an outdoors/gun shop.  Allen & Son is one of the five pits that is listed on each of my sources - Roadfood, NC BBQ Trail & Our State

I learned something after first making this post - there are two different Allen & Son restaurants. The one in Chapel Hill that is in all the books, and the one I know about in Pittsboro.  The Pittsboro store was purchased from the Allen's 20 years ago, so I will need to restrict this review to that restaurant. I do note that the barbecue gets less attention on their website than the coleslaw and french fries.

A separate stop at the Chapel Hill restaurant is needed to compare the food. A separate report will come later.  Thanks to Cliff for pointing out the two locations!

This was a good looking pile of pork, dark meat with bit of bark mixed in. It was moist and porky tasting, but did not have the smokiness and spice I was expecting based on the reviews by others. It was very tasty after adding sauce.

We really liked the coleslaw and the hush puppies.  The slaw was creamy, but still had a spicy flavor, I couldn't stop eating it.  The hush puppies were sweeter than at our other stops over the weekend and we preferred the sweetness.

The Brunswick Stew was also the best we had in our three stops, rich and porky flavored, with a thick texture. Being the first time either of us had tried Brunswick Stew, we had nothing to compare it to.  We really liked Allen & Son's stew and it is our standard for comparison.

After our fine meal at Allen & Son, we had an appointment to play with the kitties.

We had an awesome tour of Carolina Tiger Rescue at dusk. The big cats were active and playful. Rajaji, the tiger, was a show off, stalking our tour guide and pouncing on the other side of the fence next to her.  He also like to spray out the fence towards the crowd. Stand back he had 20 feet of range with that stuff.
<message edited by JRPfeff on Tue, 08/20/13 8:28 PM>

ScreamingChicken
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Tue, 08/20/13 9:38 AM
JRPfeff

This was a good looking pile of pork, dark meat with bit of bark mixed in.
That's how I like it, too...the extra flavor added to the white meat makes a big difference.  How oniony were the hush puppies?

Pancho
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Tue, 08/20/13 3:38 PM
ScreamingChicken

JRPfeff

This was a good looking pile of pork, dark meat with bit of bark mixed in.
That's how I like it, too...the extra flavor added to the white meat makes a big difference.  How oniony were the hush puppies?
Hey SC...have you been to Double S in Cambridge? They are expanding or have expanded. They had a food stand at the recent Fete de Marquette (Cajun music fest) in Madison and what I sampled was great. Or, did I already ask you this?

ScreamingChicken
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Tue, 08/20/13 3:52 PM
Yes, you asked last year.  It's good to hear they're doing well; they hadn't been in that location long when I visited last September.

buffetbuster
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Tue, 08/20/13 6:34 PM
That is some great looking food, especially the Brunswick stew!  I have only been to the Chapel Hill location of Allen & Sons and it is good to know that both put out a quality 'que.  This is going to be such a fun report to follow.

Will you be trying any desserts at these bbq parlors?

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Tue, 08/20/13 8:44 PM
To paraphrase Arthur Carlson, as God is my witness, I thought Allen & Son was only one restaurant.

Frankly, until buffetbuster pointed out that I ate in Pittsboro and not Chapel Hill, I thought that Allen & Son's barbecue was greatly overrated. I gave them the benefit of the doubt in my review based on the reviews by other, thinking they had an off night.

A note on our pork tasting process. We first take several bites of the pork as it is prepared by the chef in the kitchen and make an assessment of the quality. That's how they taught us in BBQ judge school. We will then add some sauce to product and try it again to see if that improves the flavor. At the Pittsboro restaurant, we tasted no smoke and little seasoning. The sauce did perk it up and make the pork more palatable. But it was not world class in our opinions.

We've added the Chapel Hill restaurant to our list and will give them a proper review.

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Tue, 08/20/13 8:48 PM
SC - Not much onion in any of the hush puppies that we tried.

bb - We were hitting several BBQ pits in a row, so didn't have room for dessert. We'll have to keep our pie-eyes open in the future.

Big_g
  • Total Posts : 332
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Thu, 08/22/13 5:21 PM
In Durham for a software class....going to head out to Allen and Son tonight for a Que fix!

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Thu, 08/22/13 5:27 PM
I'm very interested in your opinion Big_g.

Big_g
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Fri, 08/23/13 4:47 PM
JRPfeff

I'm very interested in your opinion Big_g.

Sorry....didn't make it. Life got in the way.
Headed back to TN in the morning....may try to hit them for lunch.
Did have some of Smokey's BBQ in Morrisville...had the Double play...Ribs and Pulled Pork, potato salad and green beans....and a banana pudding to go.
Ribs were very tasty, nice rub on them. but starting to dry out a little from being held...pulled pork was very moist and had a light smoke flavor....sides were sides..  I'm not big on sauce but what they had on the table was a good representation of a NC sauce, tangy with a little pepper added.
Banana pudding tasted homemade and went well with my coffee while I studied for my certification test.
I'd go back again.

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Fri, 08/23/13 5:19 PM
Did you pass your certification?

I'll eat at the REAL Allen and Son BBQ before too long, but the report may take a while. I've got 2 other pits I went to last week and may hit 4 others this weekend. Am I allowed to post more than one review a month or do I have to wait?

buffetbuster
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Fri, 08/23/13 5:21 PM
Considering, we are talking about NC 'que, we will want a review everyday!

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Fri, 08/23/13 5:42 PM
Yeah dont string us along like SC does post em if you got em!

Big_g
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Fri, 08/23/13 7:18 PM
JRPfeff

Did you pass your certification?

I'll eat at the REAL Allen and Son BBQ before too long, but the report may take a while. I've got 2 other pits I went to last week and may hit 4 others this weekend. Am I allowed to post more than one review a month or do I have to wait?

Yup, 48 out of 50...I r now certifiable.  I can't put a hat on...they stuffed our heads something fierce...Now all I have to do is take it back to campus and make it work.

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Fri, 08/23/13 8:49 PM
I was in training for 3 days this week too. My brain is close to mush.

I'll start putting up my reviews, starting with Wilber's.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sat, 08/24/13 10:05 AM

Wilber's

Mr. Shirley is "His Highness of Hog", "The Pasha of Pig", "The Pope of Pork", "The Sultan of Sauce" ...  Wise choice.  I am truly looking forward to your review!
<message edited by MetroplexJim on Sat, 08/24/13 10:07 AM>

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sat, 08/24/13 6:57 PM

August 2013 - Wilber's Barbecue, Goldsboro

We knew we were in for good barbecue the second we stepped out of my truck. Sweet hickory smoke was in the air of the heavily filled parking lot at Wilber's.  Wilber's Barbecue is listed on the NCBS Trail and was featured in Our State. I was really excited to try Wilber's after reading the review at the NCBS link:
For many people the name Wilber’s and Eastern North Carolina barbecue are synonymous. Some people even refer to Eastern North Carolina barbecue as Wilber’s Barbecue. Wilber Shirley did not invent Eastern North Carolina-style barbecue but he has certainly served it on site to perhaps more people than any other single barbecue operation east of Raleigh.

I found Wilber’s barbecue pork to be absolutely delicious. The coarse chopped pork has a smoky flavor and is not heavily sauced from the kitchen. It was chopped in fairly large pieces but not too coarse. The high quality of the meat along with the slow cooking over pits with live oak and hickory coals imparted a delightful woodsy, smoky flavor and a lasting finish.
Our helpful waitress dropped off a large basket of hush puppies almost as soon as we sat down.

We thought the puppies were lacking in sweetness and onion flavor, although after adding a little butter they were fine (OK shoot me, I'm from Wisconsin and butter goes on everything).

When ordering our meal, our waitress pointed out the pork and stew combo that saved us several dollars. She said the servings were the same size which we otherwise would not have known.  The pork was as good as expected - smoky, moist and nicely spiced.  It was good with the addition of the Eastern Carolina vinegar sauce, but really didn't need it. The pork was particularly well picked, with no gristle or fat, but with some bark in the meat.

I didn't care much for the slaw. It had a sharp taste that I couldn't identify, maybe some kind of citrus.  I didn't like it much alone or with the pork.

Neither Pie Diva or I cared much for the Brunswick Stew either. It was tomato-ey and was more like soup than stew to our tastes.

After finishing lunch, we were off to our next destination for the day of New Bern, North Carolina's Colonial Capital.  Or were we ... ?

<message edited by JRPfeff on Sat, 08/24/13 10:34 PM>

ann peeples
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sat, 08/24/13 7:27 PM
I have to admit, Jrpfeff, I am not enamored of Carolina que-either east or west. Don't get me wrong-I loved the hot sauce on the tables, and bought many. I love cracklins-crazy. My favorite food in the Carolinas is fried chicken. Unlike Wisconsin, chicken at these places are great sizes.No matter where we went, it was awesome. Bob doesn't care for fried chicken, but in your neck of the woods, he loved it. His family is from Greensboro, and Raleigh.......

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sat, 08/24/13 10:01 PM

August 2013 - King's BBQ Restaurant, Kinston

Before leaving the parking lot of Wilber's, I had one of those WWBBD? moments. If one lunch is good, then two are better! We added a stop at King's BBQ to our itinerary.  King's was one of the BBQ joints I found at the Our State website. We figured out later that this was not the main location for King's BBQ, but would expect some consistency among the locations for this Kinston chain.

This location looked like a converted fastfood chain location and offered counter service.

There was no smoke smell at the restaurant and that carried over to the pork. It was moist and tasty, but with no smoke flavor.

We didn't note anything special about the slaw or the hush puppies.

The Brunswick Stew was very thick and meaty, but didn't have any outstanding flavor.

Now it was on to New Bern.
<message edited by JRPfeff on Sat, 08/24/13 10:32 PM>

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sat, 08/24/13 10:24 PM

When we got on the road, Pie Diva noticed that New Bern was the birthplace of Pepsi Cola, which seemed notably Roadfoodie to us. 

We shared a Pepsi Float from the soda fountain. We don't know if that is the original fountain or a replica.

I photographed the original recipe for Pie Dive to try at home.

<message edited by JRPfeff on Sat, 08/24/13 10:39 PM>

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sat, 08/24/13 10:35 PM
How was the tater salad??

I always want to love others tater salad but I am usually disappointed.

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sat, 08/24/13 10:54 PM

Going back to last Saturday morning, before our stop at the Pittsboro Allen & Son, we had to drive to Sanford for donuts from Sandra's Bakery. I'll add this here for completeness.

Sandra's has really, really good donuts. Someone brings them into work every week and since eating these, I no longer touch the Dunkin's and Krispie Kremes when they show up. I think that makes Sandra's donuts "Healthy Donuts" by lowering my input of other donuts.

This is not the best photo of our half-dozen. That's a caramel donut on top, with really good caramel topping. Under the tissue are two Turtle Donuts that they specially prepared for us.  They added chocolate, caramel and pecans to a cream cheese topped donut for us.  Sandra's belongs in the Roadfood Donut Hall of Fame.

<message edited by JRPfeff on Sat, 08/24/13 10:57 PM>

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sat, 08/24/13 10:58 PM
Cajun King - I'm not a potato salad lover, so I defer to Pie Diva. She called the tater salad average at each palce.

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sun, 08/25/13 1:49 PM

One last stop to finish off last weekend.

Our target on the way back from New Bern was Sunni Sky's Homemade Ice Cream in Angier.  This was another find at the Our State website and they supposedly offer 100 different ice creams.

The place didn't look large enough to hold 100 ice creams, but it was packed with ice cream freezers everywhere you looked. They actually had 120 different varieties when we first visited.

Sunni Sky's offers a wide variety of unusual flavors, Popcorn and Burnt Sugar are shown below.  We had Creme Brule and Caramel Praline on our first visit, the flavor list is here. Sunni Sky's is more than just the variety and novelty of their flavors. The ice cream is incredibly creamy and absolutely delicious.

Neither of us sampled the Cold Sweat Ice Cream.
<message edited by JRPfeff on Sun, 08/25/13 2:15 PM>

Pancho
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sun, 08/25/13 2:06 PM
Looks great...Skies or Sky's? I would like that burnt sugar. Haagen Daz had a variety in their lineup a couple of years ago called Brown Sugar, and it tasted almost burnt or at least a hint of molasses. Hey, my neighbor (a school teacher) just moved to Apex! She's teaching in Chapel Hill. You headed to OBX?

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sun, 08/25/13 2:16 PM
Doh! Fixed it.

Thanks Pancho!

OBX in October for us. That's when off-season rates begin.

Jim

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sun, 08/25/13 2:35 PM
Pancho - As much as we liked the Burnt Sugar, we liked the Popcorn flavor better. We passed the two flavors back & forth, and had to wait to get the Popcorn Ice Cream back from each other.

Pancho
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sun, 08/25/13 2:42 PM
Funny....I'm still upset you didn't go for the Cold Sweat. Wow, I just now watched that video! No wonder....
<message edited by Pancho on Sun, 08/25/13 2:45 PM>

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sun, 08/25/13 3:26 PM

August 2013 - Country Barbecue, Greensboro

We started this weekend's roadtrip with low expectations for our first stop, Country Barbecue.  The review in Our State did a remarkable job of downplaying the barbecue: "Yes, the food is good, but even owner Tony McPherson will tell you that it’s not much different than other Piedmont barbecue places." and "The sign doesn’t promise fancy or new. It offers simplicity and consistency." The restaurant was not found on the BBQ Trail or in any Roadfood reviews, further lowering our expectations.

Getting out of the truck there was no smoke in the air and the restaurant's exterior looked more like a chain franchise than a classic barbecue pit. More of the same on the inside, a sterile looking dining room.

This was our first stop for Piedmont Style barbecue on our tour and we were not expecting to have to choose our coleslaw style. We went with barbecue coleslaw, which turned out to be our first hint of how much we were going to enjoy Country Barbecue's food.  Pie Diva and I both loved the sweet & sour combination of flavors in the slaw.

The pork tasted like pork, with no smokiness, but when combined with the slaw and their sweet & sour vinegar-tomato barbecue sauce it was almost perfect. If their meat had just some of the smoke that we found at our later stops, we could stop our search for barbecue nirvana right here.

The hushpuppies had the right amount of sweetness and onion flavor, and were very good, too. Brunswick Stew is a seasonal offering at Country Barbecue, so we did not get a chance to try their version.

I was hoping to have the Pork Tenderloin Biscuit with our lunch, but it is only offered for breakfast. Therefore, I had to "settle" for the Pork Tenderloin Sandwich.

We both thought that the tenderloin was "ticat" (that's what our notes say anyway). We think that means "very good." (correction) "decent." We finished every bite of it.

We finished our meal with a small serving of Strawberry Cobbler, which we both enjoyed.
<message edited by JRPfeff on Sun, 08/25/13 3:40 PM>

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sun, 08/25/13 4:04 PM

Notes from the Road - A couple comments on these reports.

When Pie Diva and I were leaving Country Barbecue, I mentioned to her that if I told most people what we were doing on Saturday, driving over 200 miles to eat at 3 barbecue restaurants, they would think we are insane.  By the time we reached our final stop, I had this text message from a Roadfooder waiting on my phone: "How is the bbq hunt going today?"  So apparently we are not as pathetic as I first thought. We are Living the Roadfood Dream!

It is not as easy to plan a barbecue roadtrip through North Carolina as it may seem.  I've got close to 50 pits on my list and am trying to mix them up, while also limiting the number of stops to an edible number on each trip.  I pick a direction and will start adding stops to get a good route. On Saturday's trip we passed 3 other restaurants that are on my list, with the thought that we'd save them for another trip. I had an entirely different trip planned in the opposite direction, but changed my mind on Saturday morning.

You may have noticed my camera problems. My one camera has some dust in the lens that I cannot get out, so I stopped using it. I went back to an older camera that I stopped using because the flash does not properly synch with the shutter. I used this camera in the flash-off mode, relying on natural light. Results were mixed. Probably time to buy another new camera. There seem to be some good deals on some of the big lens point & shoots. Is that the way to go for a good foodie camera?

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15058
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Sun, 08/25/13 4:53 PM
CK- Sundancer caught it before I could get there. AL

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9526
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/26/13 2:27 AM
Why not contact Wandering Jew and find out what camera he uses?
When he was out here, he had a neat, compact one that took excellent pictures but I don't remember what brand it was.
I'm enjoying your reports!

buffetbuster
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/26/13 8:39 AM
I would have ventured into Country Barbecue with the same trepidation, but glad it came out to be a winner.  Obviously you made the right call with the bbq slaw.  As side dishes go, I can take or leave hushpuppies, but love bbq slaw.  That is a great looking plate of food!

And that Sunni Sky's looks terrific, too!

Very much looking forward to the report on Short Sugar's and hearing about the rest of the weekend. 

ScreamingChicken
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/26/13 8:43 AM
I'm hoping you visit at least a couple of vegan barbecue joints, Jim.

MetroplexJim
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/26/13 9:30 AM

It's all about the meat! 

Wilber Shirley rules that world.

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Mon, 08/26/13 8:22 PM

August 2013 - The Pit, Raleigh

This review is slightly out of order. We dined at The Pit on Sunday, but still have two other reviews from Saturday to write.

We knew we were in for something different when we pulled up to a valet parking station at The Pit. This is another choice from Our State, and definitely not a Roadfood type establishment. It is more like barbecue fine dining than anything else we’ve tried. The Pit has been featured on TV, including Throwdown! with Bobby Flay.

The scent of smoke was stunningly strong when we first stepped into The Pit. The restaurant was set up in a manner that approximates many modern restaurants – Reservations accepted; a centrally located hostess station; electronic buzzers for those having to wait for a table; and a team waitstaff sharing service for each table. The Pit also offers nearly every style of barbecue: Eastern and Western NC styles; KC ribs; and Texas brisket.

We chose The Pit because it was part of Downtown Raleigh Dining Week and offered a special discounted three course meal. The deal included appetizers (barbecue pork nachos for me, smoked mozzarella salad for Pie Diva) which were a diversion from our usual barbecue choices and were really too filling considering the plate of barbecue that was coming.

The hush puppies were on the sweet side, but I noticed a fishy flavor on my first bite, possibly from common use of the fryers for catfish. That was a turn-off for me. Pie Diva didn’t notice the fishy taste. The biscuits and honey butter were a tasty start.

The Brunswick Stew was a bit soupy, but we both liked it. There was just enough tomato, but not enough to overwhelm the other flavors. I’m beginning to learn that Brunswick Stew styles vary greatly, and everyone has their personal favorite style.

We each ordered the 3-way pork special. It included chopped dark meat, pulled white meat (the menu said shoulder), and a pair of Kansas City style spare ribs. The Pit’s website says they cook their pork whole-hog, which may account for pork tasting only lightly smoked. They offer both Eastern-style and Piedmont-style sauces. I preferred the chopped pork with Eastern sauce, while Pie Diva loved the pulled-pork, both with and without the Piedmont sauce.

The ribs had good flavor, but we each marked them down on texture. The ribs truly were “falling off the bone” and mushy, which is a no-no for good barbecue. Anytime I am served ribs like that, I suspect some shortcuts were taken during preparation (maybe even the dreaded B-word!). The fat had not fully rendered, so parts of the ribs were not entirely edible. I tried warning them up again tonight and tossed them out. The texture of these ribs was disgusting.

The coleslaw was creamy and coarsely chopped, unlike anything we’ve been served at a classic BBQ joint yet. I guess I'd call it "Yankee-style." The Pit’s mac & cheese was particularly good, it had cheesy sauce with more cheese on top.

Our Peach & Raspberry Cobblers were good, nothing exceptional. The ice cream seemed house-made, but was grainy.

Bottom line - The Pit is a good introduction to NC barbecue for Raleigh hipsters who don't have the courage to leave the city. For those of us willing to drive past the suburbs and out into the wilds of rural North Carolina, there are better choices available.

Camera note - I went with the cellphone camera last night with poor results.
<message edited by JRPfeff on Mon, 08/26/13 8:59 PM>

buffetbuster
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Tue, 08/27/13 8:10 AM
I tried to eat at The Pit a few years ago and was shocked to see the valet parking.  When the young man told me it would be over an hour wait for a table, we saw no reason to stick around.  Since then, original pitmaster Ed Mitchell left, so I took it off of the list of places that need visited.  After reading this report, my mind hasn't changed.  Thanks JRPfeff

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Tue, 10/15/13 8:06 PM

October 2013 - Bum's Restaurant, Ayden

Although Bum's Restaurant is on none of my lists, we stopped there based on QueperMan's Roadfood review and recommendations from a patron at the Skylight Inn.   

Being our third stop of the day we were starting to slow down. We ordered one vegetable plate - collards, cabbage and green beans - and one pork plate - with slaw and potato salad - to split four ways.  We rated the pork as #4 of the 4 stops of the day. It had no smoke flavor and was not well picked. I think it may be Ayden-style to leave gristle, fat and skin in with the chopped meat.

The flat corn sticks are also typical of the area and are not very good. No sweetness and with a hard, greasy texture.  I don't remember anything about the vegetables. 

After stopping at Bum's, we thought we were done with barbecue for the day.
<message edited by JRPfeff on Tue, 10/15/13 8:24 PM>

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Tue, 10/15/13 8:17 PM

You've got to love the convenience they offer in North Carolina.

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Tue, 10/15/13 8:53 PM

October 2013 - Skylight Inn BBQ, Ayden

The Skylight Inn is renowned for their Eastern Carolina barbecue. They made all three of my source lists - Roadfood, NCBS Historic Barbecue Trail, and Our State. This was our second stop of the day and we had great expectations, starting with the understated architecture.

This is how they serve the Pork Platter at Skylight Inn. Decent barbecue, but I marked it down for the poor job of picking out fat and gristle from the mix. I call it Ayden-style. The slaw was unremarkable and the corn slab was pretty nasty, hard with no sweetness and a rancid oil flavor.

Skylight was the consensus #3 pick out of the 4 barbecue stops we made on our trip. Although one member of our group rated Skylight tops.
<message edited by JRPfeff on Tue, 10/15/13 9:24 PM>

ann peeples
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Wed, 10/16/13 3:28 AM
I will have to resource Bobs cousin, who lives in Raleigh, as to which restaurant we visited for que, along with THE Best fried chicken. Again, I am not a fan of eastern style que, but this was good. And I fell in love with Texas Pete hot sauce which was served on the table.

MetroplexJim
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Wed, 10/16/13 8:24 AM
I absolutelythis thread.

Thank you so very much.

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Wed, 10/16/13 9:36 AM
MetroJim,

Thanks for the feedback. it encourages me to get my tardy reports done.

Jim

ScreamingChicken
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Wed, 10/16/13 10:27 AM
Is there anything other than cabbage in Skylight Inn's slaw?

buffetbuster
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Wed, 10/16/13 10:36 AM
If JRPfeff doesn't mind, I will be adding a few photos when I get back from the Roadfood bus tour. I am still bummed that Bum's was out of rutabagas!

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Wed, 10/16/13 10:49 AM
Damn Cliff, you just ruined all my cheesy jokes about the clientele I saw at these joints.

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Wed, 10/16/13 10:51 AM
Brad, veggie-wise no, but there was some dressing on it.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17801
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Wed, 10/16/13 1:47 PM
Keep it coming. Wonderful stuff.

Davebassman
  • Total Posts : 115
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Wed, 10/16/13 2:59 PM
MetroplexJim

I absolutelythis thread.

Thank you so very much.

I'm with MetroplexJim!
I grew up in Tidewater Va. and started my college education in Eastern NC. (Chowan College in Murfreesboro). Grew up with a taste for eastern NC barbeque. Don't have much occasion to get down to NC these days, so it's great to read about all of these barbeque "jonts"!
Thanks!

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Wed, 10/16/13 6:38 PM
Driving back to Raleigh after finishing our 3 scheduled BBQ lunches, we are stopped by a traffic light at this road.

What do we do next?

(HINT: buffetbuster was driving.)

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Wed, 10/16/13 6:46 PM
What a bum!

A note on my report on our October 5 Barbecue Jont. I am posting my reviews in order of least-to-most favorite barbecue. So the chronological aspect of the trip is completely confusing.

JRPfeff
Re:Que & Stew of the Month - Wed, 10/16/13 6:48 PM
Take the last train to Farmville!

I'm a believer!

<message edited by JRPfeff on Thu, 10/17/13 9:03 AM>

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 132