Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger.

NascarDad
  • Total Posts : 336
  • Reward points : 0
Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Mon, 08/19/13 9:25 PM
I love those "old school" double decker burgers sometimes, I just get in the mood and get a hankering for something like the old Big Boy burger.
Shoney's no longer has a "big boy" clone double decker burger that is anything like the Big Boy. And there isn't a big boy within several hundred miles of me. 

McDonalds Big Mac is almost always terrible (cold, cheese not melted, beef doesn't taste like beef, etc) so I stopped those years ago.

Are there other chains and restaurants that have a decent double decker burger with thinner patties rather than thick slabs of meat.   I guess in part I can answer my own question, pretty sure Eat N Park in PA has a burger like that, and I had it last October or so.  But unfortunately driving to PA is not in the cards for me at this point. 

So any other places that have that kind of burger would be helpful to know about.

Thanks!

Heartbreaksoup
  • Total Posts : 407
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Tue, 08/20/13 3:40 PM
The Zesto chain in Atlanta has "chubby deckers" which were so close in appearance to "big boys" that there was a lawsuit in the 1950s over them. 

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 967
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Tue, 08/20/13 4:03 PM
I think the Frisch's Big Boy chain in Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio still makes what you are searching for.  http://www.frischs.com/

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17805
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Tue, 08/20/13 4:13 PM
Yep. Frisch's has the Big Boy and the Super Big Boy.

flyseye
  • Total Posts : 466
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Tue, 08/20/13 8:40 PM
If you make it to Ft Wayne, hit any of the Halls restaurants and get the Buster platter. You will be happy.
<message edited by flyseye on Tue, 08/20/13 8:41 PM>

tkitna
  • Total Posts : 620
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Sat, 08/24/13 3:36 AM
The problem with most places that sell burger somewhat like the Big Boy is that they always seem to have tarter sauce on them (cringe) instead of the Thousand Island type sauce. Its a deal breaker for me.

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5055
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Mon, 08/26/13 5:35 PM
The double @ Whataburger is always good.  Made to order, also.  Your selection of toppings.  Extra good is the patty melt; 2 quarter pound patties w/swiss cheese, sauce, & grilled onions; all on Texas toast.  For added excitement, add grilled veggies (grilled poblano & red bell peppers and more onions).  Veggies add a mere 50 cents to your order.  The fries are shoestring and cooked to order also.  They have a decent red and green piquante sauce, and their spicy catsup is really good also.

RKB
  • Total Posts : 168
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Tue, 08/27/13 6:42 PM

quote -
The problem with most places that sell burger somewhat like the Big Boy is that they always seem to have tarter sauce on them (cringe) instead of the Thousand Island type sauce. Its a deal breaker for me.

For my taste, it's a deal-maker. Having been raised on Big Boys with Frisch's superb tartar sauce, I love them. Can't stand the thousand-island stuff on a burger.
Thank goodness for different tastes in food. That's what makes this so much fun.

Treetop Tom
  • Total Posts : 321
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Tue, 09/3/13 4:00 PM
Have you tried the Big Boy/Big Mac clone (I forget what it's called) at Carytown Burgers & Fries on W Cary Street in Richmond?  I've never had it, but their other burgers are very good.  Fairly close to you, too.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Tue, 09/3/13 8:21 PM
RKB-in our neck of the woods, Big Boy DID NOT serve tartar sauce on the Big Boy sandwich. Nor was it thousand island dressing. It was their unique sauce that was their secret.

tkitna
  • Total Posts : 620
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Sat, 09/7/13 2:48 AM
Ann, you probably had something like this in your region. Probably more like a spicy relish of some sorts.

This is what all the Elby's and Big Boy restaurants in our area had. Almost the exact same thing as thousand island dressing.

<message edited by tkitna on Sat, 09/7/13 2:49 AM>

ann peeples
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Sat, 09/7/13 8:08 AM
It was like thousand island, but with a twist. They sold it in bottles at the check out.

RKB
  • Total Posts : 168
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Sat, 09/7/13 10:43 AM
Ann, the tartar sauce may have been a Cincinnati-area thing. Big Boy seems to be slightly different everywhere I travel. I'll try any of them - as long  as it is not topped with just plain thousand island. For my taste, that does not go well with beef. Love it on a Ruben, though!
Bill 
<message edited by RKB on Sat, 09/7/13 10:45 AM>

ann peeples
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Sat, 09/7/13 7:19 PM
Bill-good news! The people that owned Big Boy here in Milwaukee own movie theaters. Its a neat concept where one can order food in comfortable chairs and watch a movie. I had a Big Boy!!!!!! Yum!

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Sat, 09/7/13 9:11 PM
ann peeples

Bill-good news! The people that owned Big Boy here in Milwaukee own movie theaters. Its a neat concept where one can order food in comfortable chairs and watch a movie. I had a Big Boy!!!!!! Yum!

One of our local theaters has bar service, makes watching a kids movie MUCH easier!

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5055
Re:Restaurants with double decker burgers like the "Big Boy" burger. - Sun, 09/8/13 6:29 PM
The double Whataburger and also the patty melt (always a double) are excellent and always cooked  to order.  Also, try the sautéed veggie mix on either for an extra 50 cents.
http://whataburger.com/food/