Hot!EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish

Filet Mignon
2013/08/28 17:22:06
It seems more often these days I get called upon to cook for parties and get togethers. Sometimes, I like to do a theme. Last Sunday, the birthday boy requested the meal I made him last year---crawfish. Living in the South (well, SOUTHERN California), there are several Vietnamese markets in the area that carry live crawfish. We got 20 pounds, live and extremely feisty. 

To keep the theme, I bought an eight pound pork butt. Saturday night, I put my homemade rub on it at let it rest in the fridge. At 3AM, I got up and put it into my Traeger smoker. My neighbor later commented that they could could smell the hickory smoke at 7AM when the woke up. "It must be Ed", they said to me later that day. 

It smoked until 3PM, rested inside until 4PM when I pulled it into shreds and put it into a crock pot for serving. Sweet baby Ray's BBQ Sauce was available on the side for it, as well as cole slaw and small French rolls to make pulled pork sliders. 

Next up was the beans. I put sauteed onion, garlic and green peppers into another crockpot, along with two large cans of pinto beans and a can of Bush's Grilling Beans, Southern style. I had smoked 6 strips of bacon in the smoker and cut those up into small pieces and added it to the mix. In went some molasses, a bit of vinegar, some siriacha hot sauce, cumin, onion and garlic powder and finally some brown sugar. Easy, but the combination was good and it didn't take much time. After all, I still had lots to do!
When I was in Mobile with the Glee Club for the Brick Pit and Wintzell's Oyster House dinners, I wound up driving back to Los Angeles with a friend. On the way, I stopped at M & S Cajun Boudin and Grocery in Lafayette, Louisiana.

Besides buying fresh shrimp and pork boudin, as well as crawfish etouffee and pork boudin pies for lunch, I picked up a few packages of their andouille sausage and tasso ham. Vacuum wrapped, I knew I would save them for something good.

I made a chicken, sausage and tasso jambalaya, using basmati rice that I buy in 10 pound bags from an Indian store near here. Lots of tomato, a decent amount of spices and the trinity of bell pepper, celery and onion and it was in the pot and on the stove. 

The crawfish were the last to go. I have a pot from a turkey fryer that I use on the propane side burner of my BBQ for seafood, etc. I filled it up to the 20 pound turkey size with water, onion, garlic, lemon, celery and a liberal (well, extremely generous) dose of Loiusiana crawfish boil spice. It took a while to come to a boil, but when it did, The crawfish went in the pool, all 20 pounds of them at once.

It came about 3 inches from the top of the pot. They cooked for 10 minutes and then I turned the heat off and let them sit in the boil for another 25 minutes.

They filled up four turkey platters.

There were no leftovers on the crawfish, everyone loved them.  
The party was a success. I had Southern blues playing on Pandora and the birthday boy was happy. I think he went through four large plates of crawfish, himself, while his brother did almost as much. It was a delicious, Southern evening!

post edited by EdSails - 2013/08/28 17:27:37
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/28 17:32:10
A very nice tasty feast.  Happy BD to all.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/28 17:38:58
HEY ED
Would you cook my next birthday dinner????  Please????  That looks WONDERFUL!!!!

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/28 17:40:43
lleechef

HEY ED
Would you cook my next birthday dinner????  Please????  That looks WONDERFUL!!!!

Sure Lisa. How about crawfish, jambalaya and Ravioli-o's?

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/28 17:45:09
Sounds good to me!  I'll eat the crawfish and jambalaya and You-Know-Who can have the rest. 
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/28 17:57:28
Oh, and don't forget the pulled pork......that looked wonderful too!!!!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/28 18:42:54
lleechef

Oh, and don't forget the pulled pork......that looked wonderful too!!!!

The pulled pork did turn out well. In the photo of it when I was shredding it you can see the nice smoke ring. It's been great for leftover lunches too!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/28 19:19:12
Ed - very nice menu and even better looking pictures!  Would love a doggie bag! 
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/28 19:48:19
ChiTownDiner

Ed - very nice menu and even better looking pictures!  Would love a doggie bag! 

Thanks, ChiTownDiner. All that was left was part of the jambalaya, a small container of pork and a few ears of fresh corn on the cob. Not even enough to send leftover for everyone this time!
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/28 21:35:30
How come the Crawfish didn't turn red ?????????? everything looks great...
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/28 22:53:48
Man, that's some great-looking food.
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/29 07:00:16
Ed, this is a fabulous feast!  Lucky birthday boy!
FriedClamFanatic
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/29 10:20:14
I have decided, after seeing this, that I want to celebrate my birth-DAY every month!  Menu courtesy of ED ( plane tickets for B-day#1 on the way!).....AWESOME!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/29 11:26:07
pnwchef

They weren't embarrassed enough........
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/29 12:29:59
Great job, Ed!  That's a nice smoke ring in the pork.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/29 16:25:10
Ed - You my friend could be part cajun and if not I will secretly swear you in as an exiled cajun in LA LA Land.

That was one mighty fine feast fit for a growing birthday boy.

Did you get any of M & S' wonderful Boudin??? 
It is a very good "beginners" link of Boudin
(not too spicy, fairly even mix of meat to rice) 
Their boudin balls fresh from the fryer are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
pnwchef
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/29 16:33:46
EdSails

pnwchef

Ed, I would have to say your Smoking is getting to be top notch. I know you spend a lot of time making sure it turns out well. You would do well as a caterer, it takes being a perfectionist,
 being great with detail, and you have to be crazy. You have all three............Bill
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/29 17:47:07
pnwchef

EdSails

pnwchef

Ed, I would have to say your Smoking is getting to be top notch. I know you spend a lot of time making sure it turns out well. You would do well as a caterer, it takes being a perfectionist,
being great with detail, and you have to be crazy. You have all three............Bill

Thanks, Bill. It is high praise coming from you.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/29 18:30:08
Ed, your menu combination of the swamp bugs and BBQ was double outstanding.  A Great thing you did.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/29 20:02:14
Ed
My birthday is June 15.  Don't forget. 
agnesrob
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/29 21:56:50
Ed, that all looks so good! Happy Birthday to all involved!!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/08/29 23:49:08
CajunKing

Ed - You my friend could be part cajun and if not I will secretly swear you in as an exiled cajun in LA LA Land.

That was one mighty fine feast fit for a growing birthday boy.

Did you get any of M & S' wonderful Boudin??? 
It is a very good "beginners" link of Boudin
(not too spicy, fairly even mix of meat to rice) 
Their boudin balls fresh from the fryer are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

I wound up buying a few links of pork boudin and a few of shrimp boudin. I brought them home and had them the day after we got back. They were very tasty!
I didn't see the boudin balls. Next time!
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/17 08:47:55
Now that's real eating.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/17 11:02:25
Great looking menu, Ed!!!I am impressed with your efforts.( By the way, my birthday is Feb.19th)
pnwchef
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/17 11:35:18
ann peeples

Great looking menu, Ed!!!I am impressed with your efforts.( By the way, my birthday is Feb.19th)

I'll take Ann's leftovers, my BD is Feb 20th.................By the way, where the Sam Hill is Ed ????????
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/17 12:15:09
Bill-I would be happy to have Ed cook for us at a combined birthday party!
I think Ed has done some traveling recently.....
edwmax
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/17 12:44:54
Thank you ... Thank you   ... but I can't get up to Wisconsin or Washington to do your B'days  ...  oh, my bad, you mean EdSail ...     ... early happy B'day anyway ...
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/17 17:28:02
ED, I would pay BIG $ for a person who can do magic to food as you obviously can, great job!
ROHfan
Hamburger
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/17 21:09:10
Ed, my birthday is coming up...12/27. Hint, hint!

But seriously, can you post the recipe for your Jambalaya?
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/18 12:23:17
Everything looks amazing and delicious! I am impressed! That is the best looking smoked butt I have seen recently, even compared with all the bbq places on DD&D. You obviously know what you are doing. Kudos to you!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/18 12:27:01
pnwchef

ann peeples

I'll take Ann's leftovers, my BD is Feb 20th.................By the way, where the Sam Hill is Ed ????????

Last I heard (via Facebook) Ed was vacationing in Costa Rica.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/18 12:54:18
EdSails, That's what I call doing it up right!  Nice size to the mud bugs also.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/21 00:00:48
chewingthefat

ED, I would pay BIG $ for a person who can do magic to food as you obviously can, great job!

hey Chewy, thanks!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/21 00:06:09
lleechef

pnwchef

ann peeples

Last I heard (via Facebook) Ed was vacationing in Costa Rica.

Last I heard he was back!
After surviving tacos and tequila in Cabo, ceviche, asada and fresh oysters in Puerto Vallarta, ceviche in Guatamala, black and white (conch) ceviche in Costa Rica,  arepas in Panama and more ceviche in Colombia. How that boy can eat all that raw stuff I do not know!
" />
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/21 01:29:06
Ed,
You're killin us.  But we're glad you're back!!! 
pnwchef
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/21 17:14:13
If I knew you were going to Puerto Vallarta, I would have sent to my favorite goat taco stand. There is also a little guy that makes great mini churros in old town.........
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/21 19:16:38
pnwchef

If I knew you were going to Puerto Vallarta, I would have sent to my favorite goat taco stand. There is also a little guy that makes great mini churros in old town.........

ALWAYS read things slowly.

I (for a quick second) thought that said "mini BURROS", I have eaten horse before but a mini Burro?
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2013/10/21 22:26:12
CajunKing

pnwchef

I (for a quick second) thought that said "mini BURROS", I have eaten horse before but a mini Burro?

Isn't a mini burro a.....

burrito?

mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2014/05/22 17:30:32
Ooogly, moogly, Ed. Don't know how I missed this earlier. My birthday's November 25th and I shall be expecting you....
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2014/05/22 18:02:19
Ok, I'll be there. I'll be riding in on my mini burro.

mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2014/05/22 21:05:14
I'll set extra places for the burro and that darling little child you've got there. Who is that? By the way is a burro's "nose" made of cartilage or bone. I've petted a couple in my life and was amazed at hard it is. Do you raise burros or just that one?
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2014/05/23 03:38:55
CajunKing 

pnwchef 

mlm

I'll set extra places for the burro and that darling little child you've got there. Who is that? By the way is a burro's "nose" made of cartilage or bone. I've petted a couple in my life and was amazed at hard it is. Do you raise burros or just that one?

Does this answer the mini burro question?
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2014/05/23 11:54:22
I don't get you yet, Ed. If you are saying you eat burro, to each his own but, I beg, please tell me you eat big ugly ones and let the little ones live so other children can jump up and down in front of them. Please?" />
TWog
Junior Burger
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2014/05/23 15:18:13
Shame on you for using Vietnamese crawfish. There are numerous outlets which will ship Louisiana crawfish.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2014/05/24 04:22:15
mlm

I don't get you yet, Ed. If you are saying you eat burro, to each his own but, I beg, please tell me you eat big ugly ones and let the little ones live so other children can jump up and down in front of them. Please?" />

Oh, I wouldn't eat a burro. Although I once had one try to take a bite out of me!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2014/05/24 04:39:17
TWog

Shame on you for using Vietnamese crawfish. There are numerous outlets which will ship Louisiana crawfish.

Shame on you for assuming things. And shame on you for not reading what someone wrote.

Since you seem to be reading challenged, I will restate what I said. 
I bought 20 pounds of live crawfish at a Vietnamese market here in Orange County. I DID NOT get them from Vietnam. THEY did not get them from Vietnam. When LIVE (not the frozen, boxed stuff that can come from Vietnam) CRAWFISH are found here, if they do not come from Louisiana, they come from the SACRAMENTO DELTA here in California, one of the largest crawfish producing areas in the world. In fact, they have a Crawfish Festival in Isleton, where they go through over 25,000 pounds of LIVE CALIFORNIA CRAWFISH in 3 days. I don't need to get crawfish shipped------I can buy them LIVE in several markets here. They are a popular LIVE item here during the season.
Just to make it clear, the CRAWFISH CAME FROM CALIFORNIA or LOUISIANA. Is that clear? IS THAT CLEAR? Crystal. I hope.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:EdSails does a Southern birthday party--Jambalaya, pulled pork and crawfish 2014/05/24 05:00:28
mlm

PS----I no longer have any, but in the late '90's we had 3 burros that we rescued from a Bureau of Land Management relocation program. They actually had a sweeter, more gentle disposition than the horses. They were better to put a child on than a horse and seemed more patient. The only thing you had to watch is forgetting that you put treats or carrots in your pants pocket. They would find it and try to put that nose right into your pocket!