Doctor of BBQ truck Build

Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2013/08/30 18:25:59 (permalink)

Doctor of BBQ truck Build

This thread will become hopefully a thread on my Truck build.

I have had my truck for several years just never could figure out how I wanted to lay out the equipment and the floor plan. When I built my current trailer I was really happy with it but ended up moving some shelves around and so there are a couple places that there are screws in the wall that once was a shelf bracket. And little things like that make me crazy so I promised myself I'd take all the time in the world to finish this project and make it right the first time.  I bought a bank repo and the motor lasted 18 miles from the bank before two rods went out.I bought the truck on Ebay and their buyer protection plan gave me back the $5000.00 I paid for the truck and I got to keep the truck.

So I had a new engine built (454 chevy) by a 40 year friend that builds motors for race cars. And had another long time friend completely rebuild the transmission. Here is what it looked like when I bought it on Ebay. Total spent towing home $600.00 building the motor with new block and heads $2400.00 and rebuild transmission $400.00. Here is what it looked like when I bought it 07-13-07.

Since then my step van has been storage sitting right behind my trailer and I have been fooling around with floor designs and equipment layout. I have bought a ton of equipment and in fact will most likely list some of what I bought on Ebay since I have changed my mind on where the equipment will go and what I'm going to use. But I'm really pumped up by a couple of recent items that I bought for this project.

I currently have 3 different hand sinks in my garage and two different 3 hole sinks.  You know you go to an auction and sometimes restaurant equipment gets bought. LOL I have an almost new upright cooler in the trailer but have found you never have enough cooler space especially when your doing smoked pork and smoked brisket for a 3 day event. I wanted a true GDM 26 reach in because they are deeper and wider than most coolers. But the "Man Cave" thing has caused a shortage of good used GDM 26's. And the price has gone more than a little crazy on them. But I bought one on Ebay the other day for $500.00 but had to cross two state lines to pick it up. Long drive lots of gas. Here it is:

I know from experience this was not going to be enough cooler space. So I looked at under counter  units and anything and every thing that cools on CL and Ebay. I found a unit I fell in love with because it solved two problems. Here is my new sink cooler combo. Yes I know it sounds like a joke but it's not.

The coolers/reach ins are stainless steel lined and have shelves I'll post more pictures next week. I paid for it today will drive to Chicago next Monday to pick it up.

While I'm in Chicago I'm also going to pick up 3 of these units. T replace the wooden cabinets that are in the SV.

And one or two of these drawer units.

Then I'll take everything out and start on the electrical and plumbing.

I'll post more pictures as I go so this thread will hopefully be a step by step that others may learn what and what not to do LOL
Jack
If you have a question you may email me Jack@DrofBBQ.com and put Roadfood in the subject line.
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2013/08/30 19:23:55

5 Replies Related Threads

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    Re:Doctor of BBQ truck Build 2013/08/30 19:33:55 (permalink)
    Jack - I will be watching your truck build with eager anticipation, I remember when you first bought your SV, seems like I was a mere lad back then

I am glad you are finally getting around to getting this project started.

Good Luck and take LOTS of pictures.
    gonzojuice
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:Doctor of BBQ truck Build 2013/09/08 16:19:17 (permalink)
    I recently bought a 92 chevy step van with a Subaru Diesel engine. I am just starting to do my build now. I have followed the Reese build recently and have enjoyed your input and commentary. This is my first post so I am a ways from photos, but I'd love to follow your build and eventually get my own up. I own a successful trailer in Austin and have been wanting a truck for years. Wish me luck. The trailer is called www.gonzojuice.com. We kill it
    Sun Spot
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:Doctor of BBQ truck Build 2013/09/10 22:41:07 (permalink)
    Gonzo Juice, wow, what a memorable trailer.  Will you do a similar thing for your truck?

Lost Nation
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:Doctor of BBQ truck Build 2013/09/11 05:21:13 (permalink)
    I don't know what your truck is going to look like but I bet it's shiny.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Doctor of BBQ truck Build 2013/09/11 17:29:45 (permalink)
    Lost Nation ---------I don't know what your truck is going to look like but I bet it's shiny.

LMAO You can bet your last dollar on that. Sill laughing. I picked up my new cabinets Monday and they were far more impressive than I had ever imagined. I was thinking as I drove back to Springfield almost 300 miles Wow what a great deal and I will when done have the classiest Food Truck in the country. I'm serious everything in the truck will be built in. No more getting on your knees trying to clean under a counter or table. I'll have more shelving than I can use and glass door cabinets for storage that will allow you to take inventory with out opening a door. All that plus plenty of drawers and each drawer will hold 150 lbs when fully extended. They don't have many of the stainless cabinets left however the still have some white metal cabinets and they are much cheaper. I'll post the contacts name and phone here in a few days but right now I'm really busy at the stand.
    Jack
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1