Corolla NC

Author
euclid
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
2013/08/31 13:59:09 (permalink)

Corolla NC

Headed to Corolla next week for a wedding. Went through search function but found no info for BBQ in Corolla BBQ. Any suggestions please? Would also appreciate any thoughts on great raw bar types of restaurants in Corolla.. Thank you in advance.

9 Replies Related Threads

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:Corolla NC 2013/09/02 15:31:32 (permalink)

A little south if Corolla is "High Cotton BBQ" in Kitty Hawk.  It has been a few years since we went there, and I can't recall the sides, but the pork BBQ was very good.   

http://www.highcottonbbq.com/

Glenn

euclid
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Corolla NC 2013/09/03 17:05:09 (permalink)
       Thanks Glenn1234. I guess the other 100 million Roadfooders have never been in the area. Looked it up (High Cotton) on Urbanspoon as well as TripAdvisor. Some mighty fine comments. Never been to OBX and was pleasantly surprised to see how much restaurant activity is there. Duck NC is intriguing as well. Found a restaurant called Coastal Cravings which DD&D reviewed which looks very interesting. Will also make a stop there.
       Given the lack of interest and participation in my initial post, I won't do a trip report but will give you a heads up on High Cotton. Great suggestion that led me on the path of discovery and I thank you.
    Euclid
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    Re:Corolla NC 2013/09/03 17:56:19 (permalink)
    Although it is not BBQ, I suggest Basnights Lone Cedar.  Great food, super views, reasonable prices and very close to Corolla.  I have ate there a couple of times.  Basnight was a state politician and the place burned a few years ago.  He started not to rebuild but the folks of that area appreciated his food and his work and they helped him rebuild this beautiful restaurant.  A lot of recognition is given to those folks in the restaurant.

http://www.lonecedarcafe.com/

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re:Corolla NC 2013/09/06 11:28:23 (permalink)
    I can also recommend Basnights Lone Cedar. It's a bit of a drive from Corolla, on the causeway from Nags Head to Roanoke Island (Manteo). Maybe a bit pricey (many resort places are), but the food is good. I recommend the flounder stuffed with crabmeat.
    I also recommend Sam & Omies (Not far from Basnights). My favorite place on the Outer Banks. I've been going there since I was a kid. Not fine dining, but a fun, reasonably-priced place.
    euclid
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Corolla NC 2013/09/12 21:00:24 (permalink)
       Thanks for all of your input. I did not have the opportunity to visit the restaurants you suggested. How ever I did find two pretty neat stops that I can endorse.
       Coastal Cravings in Duck NC.  DD&D did a deal on them. Funny, DD&D came in after hours and the owners reopened and cooked them some chow (according to our waiter Neil...great guy).
       Wonderful spot contiguous to a BP gas station. Wonderful local seafood as well as, hmm, BBQ. I bought the wedding party some boils from Cravings for their dinner the evening after the wedding (see Cravings web site).
       The other spot was Duck, Deli and BBQ, Duck NC. Above average BBQ but not competition grade. But damn good. Their parking lot seemed to be full all day.
       This will be my last post on this site. For me it has become a bit narrow and mean spirited. Perhaps it's just me, but heck, the purpose used to be exchange and enjoy. Does not resonate for me anymore.
       Good luck to you folks. I have been entertained and informed for quite a few years now. And I thank you!
       Adios, Euclid.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:Corolla NC 2013/09/12 22:50:02 (permalink)

Thanks for your input, Euclid.   Several years ago, I had heard Duck Deli and BBQ was good, but had forgotten about it until you just mentioned it.   Never tried it myself.  Sounds like it's worth a try next time in that area. 
    Sorry to hear you won't be around here anymore.  It does seem to get a little testy in here at times.  I try to ignore it.  I find the biggest nuisance is that it is a bit clique-ish, with a core group of regulars who use their own "Insider" language and acronyms ("TTM'd", for example), that no newbies could possibly know what they mean.  I can't blame a core group for enthusiastically participating, but the insider language get s a bit annoying.   For a forum to be welcoming to newbies and outsiders, the postings should not be written as if they are meant only for the regulars to understand. 

Best luck in your endeavors. 

Glenn

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4594
    Re:Corolla NC 2013/09/13 09:19:41 (permalink)
    euclid
    This will be my last post on this site. For me it has become a bit narrow and mean spirited.
    by "mean spirited", I take it that you mean comments like the following, right?
    euclidI guess the other 100 million Roadfooders have never been in the area.
    euclidGiven the lack of interest and participation in my initial post, I won't do a trip report

Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Flagged as Spam (2)
    Re:Corolla NC 2013/09/15 14:59:38 (permalink)
    euclid
      This will be my last post on this site. For me it has become a bit narrow and mean spirited. Perhaps it's just me, but heck, the purpose used to be exchange and enjoy. Does not resonate for me anymore.

Sorry to see another member chased off, euclid.  Things can be better - the combination of the recent removal of certain problem posters along with my own "personal ban" on three additional trolls (Larry, Curly and Moe) have made the boards a decent place for me again.  The best part of blocking annoying posters is knowing that it kills them that their inanities aren't reaching their intended audience!  LOL!!!  And you control the length of their ban - it can be lifetime or temporary - you decide!  In order to block a poster, simply hover your cursor over their posting name, click on "block poster" from the drop-down menu and then confirm the action.  So easy to do and it makes your experience here so much more enjoyable!  Give it a try, euclid, before giving up on the boards completely. 
    post edited by Treetop Tom - 2013/09/15 17:03:07
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Corolla NC 2013/09/16 09:43:06 (permalink)
    Too late for the OP, I know, but one of my coworkers is a frequent visitor to Corolla and she says the BBQ choices in Corolla are pretty grim – Corolla Village BBQ is passable, but only if you're desperate.  She does love the fresh made-while-you-wait donuts at Duck Donuts, however.  Sounds like the same concept as The Fractured Prune shops over on the Delmarva shore. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1