How many hot dogs do you sell a day?

Hamburger
2013/08/31 19:39:37
Guys,

Working on my hot dog project and need a little help. What would be a good number of hot dogs sold per day. I know most would say as many as posible but lets say what number would make you feel ok about the days sales?

I have been reading that 4 to 5 % of the pedesrian walking by your stand is a good number to shoot for but what about a stand on the side of the highway?

I also don┬Ęt want to buy more equipment that I might need. 

thanks in advance,

John
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/01 07:46:19
Many of these questions have been answered in other threads.     A bigger and more important question is 'what is the minimum you must make to stay in business?'   ...but average this over over a 1 & 2 week periods to take care of the daily up & down. Then any thing above the minimum is profit.

You might be interested in these threads.

average hot dogs sold
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=662611&high=hot+dogs+sells

supply question
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=640061&high=hot+dogs+sells

Hot dog ideas
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=732782&high=hot+dogs+sells

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=642584&high=hot+dogs+sells
jcarbon
Hamburger
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/01 12:10:50
Max,

Thanks for the links and advice. Those links contain very helpful info. 

John
bartl
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/02 10:39:10
I was going to point out that you would receive a lot of answers, many of them sarcastic. I'm glad the first one you got was a good one.

What it boils down to (no pun intended) is that the number of hot dogs you sell in a day is just one of so many variables in the hot dog business that many here think (and not without justification) that the very fact that someone is asking the question is prima facie evidence that they are not ready to go into business, and will react accordingly.

Let me give you an old story (which I probably have told here before): A man walking down a street saw another man selling pencils "How much are your pencils?" the first man asked.
"They're a million dollars each!" replied the vendor.
"A million dollars!?" exclaimed the first man. "Do you realize how hard it will be to find anybody who would pay that price?"
"Yes." replied the vendor. "But I only need to sell one, and I'll be able to retire!"

Bart
BpCBlake
Cheeseburger
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/02 11:43:42
Like the others have said, it is a big varible.
basicly you could sell 20 one day and 200 on another. at a new location it could take a while until people see you there for a while. or you could strike lightning in a bottle. I have even heard of people not doing much at thier regular location, but someone will see them and ask them to setup at thier factory or office building or party. you can also use your cart for catering, and working fairs and other events too. just make sure you have some extra cash to survive until you find your sweet spot. if you operate day to day it could go bad quick. figure at least a extra 1000 cash for food and supplies.
post edited by BpCBlake - 2013/09/02 11:45:15
jcarbon
Hamburger
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/02 22:35:14
Thanks to all that replied. I am working on a concept so all this information helps. I agree that there are many variables. I need to read this entire forum so I am ways off but I agree with all that its not easy and just like any other business it must be planned out and details must not be overlooked. I hope nobody minds if I keep asking. 

John
BpCBlake
Cheeseburger
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/03 03:48:17
Just remember. It's not easy and it's not a way to get rich quick. It's a way to be Free and be your own boss. with all the do it yourself job systems out there. there are 2 things people will always buy no matter where the ressecion is. people will always buy food and entertainment.
slammin
Cheeseburger
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/03 13:48:06
Since you are doing your homework, check out the area where you plan to vend. Are there other food carts? If there are, buy a dog and ask them how long they have been in business. Try to observe their operation. Are they busy? Many times an area that has no street vendors, discourages such ventures, or there isn't enough business to support a cart. Do a little detective work. If you find carts, make some notes, try to get a few photos. When the season comes to an end, start watching craigs list for those carts. You might be surprised how many you see. Good luck.
brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/03 20:30:52
Jcarbon,

Slammin took the words right out of my mouth. If there are no vendors in your town, this is terrible news. The only vendors here are at Home Depot and another vendor is a Mexican family and they may be doing OK with real homemade Mexican food at a small store and gas station. So, I thought I was going to get rich. It turns out that folks in my area are not crazy about cart vendors. I can't give Hot Dogs away.

If there are several vendors and they have all been in business for years, this is a great sign as the locals probably like cart food. If this is the case let me know I want to move there with my cart, OK?

Check out all of the hot dog carts on Craigslist. Most selling their carts haven't been used very much. They advertise like new. If you are not back East, be careful you could be wasting a lot of time. This is the truth as I've experienced it. Others have a different truth but the majority of them vend somewhere in the East.

One successful vendor sells exotic sausage dogs for $8 to $10. This would be impossible where I live. Here in the county where I live the median household income is a little over $40,000 a year. In the county back East where he lives the median household income exceeds $95,000 a year. He might could get $15 for one of his sausage dogs.

Just take it easy friend is all I'm saying.
jcarbon
Hamburger
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/04 10:36:44
Thanks guys :) 

Seems like the overall popularity of hot dogs around my area might not be that great. I might be forcing a square peg in a round hole. Still a ways off. Lots of weenee  parties in my future. LOL. 

John

brickboo
Cheeseburger
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/04 19:14:58
jacarbon,
I know better and it is simple, but we want something bad and we go for it. I finally figured this out after the Hot Dog Business. You can't sell boats on a Desert.
djtomatoe
Cheeseburger
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/19 13:35:35
AVERAGE............25-35 DOGS & SAUSAGES
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/19 16:42:59
Today I brought 36 buns and sold 36 dogs. Nobody turned away.
BpCBlake
Cheeseburger
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/19 17:02:46
err, here in vegas you can. course we are a desert with a lake thou

bartl
Re:How many hot dogs do you sell a day? 2013/09/20 14:24:44
jcheese Today I brought 36 buns and sold 36 dogs. Nobody turned away.

Hey, that's the strategy that got Walmart success.

Bart