Sammy's Roumanian (NYC)

Filet Mignon
2013/09/01 20:54:05
Tonight I grilled a skirt steak using a recipe inspired by Sammy's Roumanian Steak House in New York, and it got me wondering if anyone like Billyboy, Wanderingjew, or any other past or present residents have ever been there.  Anyone have anything to share?
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Sammy's Roumanian (NYC) 2013/09/01 21:35:39
Nope.  I've walked by it many times but never been in.  I feel like it's a place I need to go with a group of friends.  I've seen it featured on a Todd English show and an Anthony Bourdain show.  One of those places I feel I must get to at some point in my life.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Sammy's Roumanian (NYC) 2013/09/01 22:47:08
Sammy's Roumanian Steakhouse. My parents and I used to go there all the time when I was a kid. I'd eat so much, I couldn't eat for a week afterwards.
https://www.facebook.com/...Steakhouse/18653567978
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Sammy's Roumanian (NYC) 2013/09/01 22:52:26
ScreamingChicken

Tonight I grilled a skirt steak using a recipe inspired by Sammy's Roumanian Steak House in New York, and it got me wondering if anyone like Billyboy, Wanderingjew, or any other past or present residents have ever been there.  Anyone have anything to share?

The skirt steak was my favorite dish there. They called it a Roumanian Tenderloin. Served with grilled onions and potatoes.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Sammy's Roumanian (NYC) 2013/09/02 13:00:14
Two words...tableside schmaltz!!
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Sammy's Roumanian (NYC) 2013/09/02 13:57:05
ScreamingChicken Tonight I grilled a skirt steak using a recipe inspired by Sammy's Roumanian Steak House in New York, and it got me wondering if anyone like Billyboy, Wanderingjew, or any other past or present residents have ever been there.  Anyone have anything to share?

So, how'd you cook it?
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Sammy's Roumanian (NYC) 2013/09/02 14:13:55
To rare/medium-rare (it was thicker at one end), direct over lump charcoal.  I didn't have any hot paprika so I added a little cayenne pepper to sweet paprika, and it had some nice heat.

Good stuff, even though I paid $8.49/lb for the meat.  Because I was cooking for one I was able to dispose of the packaging before Mrs. Chicken saw the price.
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
Re:Sammy's Roumanian (NYC) 2013/09/02 15:58:57
I've been there maybe five or six times, but not very recently. I used to tell people that it's overpriced and some of the stuff on the menu might gross you out, but it's the most fun you'll ever have at a restaurant.

From my limited experiences, it's more fun to go for the later seating. The earlier crowd tends to be a bit more subdude.

When Sammy's is really rocking, it's like you've stepped into a low-cost 1950s bar mitz-vah. There is a guy singing and playing songs on a keyboard in the corner. The tables are very close to each other and the walls are completely covered with photos and articles. There are spontaneous line dances with people you don't know. There are make-your-own egg creams with dessert and seltzer in spray bottles on every table, as well as the previously mentioned schmaltz, which is in the sort of pancake syrup containers you see in some pancake houses and which is poured onto chopped liver, mashed potatoes, etc. It's actually the only place where I'll eat chopped liver.

And from my experience, even a small Roumanian tenderloin steak is enough for at least two, and maybe three people with all of the other stuff that you eat.

We always had a plate of very good ruggelah for dessert, along with the egg creams.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2013/09/02 16:01:16
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Sammy's Roumanian (NYC) 2013/09/03 15:03:21
I honestly thought this place went out of business at least 2 decades ago.

If I recall, that's where the old folks went when I was little.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re:Sammy's Roumanian (NYC) 2013/09/03 16:41:55
I've been there ... but it was some time ago.
Words fail me.  We were with a group and I do recall the ride back to Connecticut to be, shall we say, uncomfortable.  It was winter and we had to keep the windows open most of the way home.