The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Is there any good canned hotdog chili

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
Is there any good canned hotdog chili Fri, 09/6/13 12:03 AM (permalink)
I'm trying the low carb thing for awhile and one of my goto dinners is two or three dogs without buns with kraut and mustard usually. The other day I wanted to try this dish with chopped onion, chili sauce (no beans allowed right now) and shredded cheese. I looked through the canned varieties and went with the Texas Pete figuring it might be good. Wrong! weird texture with some kind of sweet taste. Is there anything out there I might try? 

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9567
    Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Fri, 09/6/13 12:23 AM (permalink)

ces1948

Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Fri, 09/6/13 12:34 AM (permalink)
      Thanks for the tip. it's 5.7 carbs per cup and I only need maybe a 1/2 cup for my dogs. I also think I've seen it either at Publix or Wallyworld here in Florida.

Foodbme

Order Skyline Chili:
      http://store.cincyfavorites.com/chili-c25.aspx
      OR

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=%22Hot+Dog+chili%22&qpvt=%22Hot+Dog+chili%22&FORM=HURE#x0y438

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 185
        Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Sun, 09/8/13 9:55 AM (permalink)
        I like Skyline.. it's pretty close to Texas Weiner sauce I get here in New Jersey, Wegmans sells it, but my absolute favorite is this:

http://www.platesauce.com...auce-18oz-Box_p_8.html

It comes packed as 3 individual bags.. so you don't have to open it all at once, like a can.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
          Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Sun, 09/8/13 10:22 AM (permalink)
          Wolf Chili would be a reasonable choice and should be fairly easy to find.

And while this might elicit howls from the peanut gallery, I've always liked chili dogs made with cheap hot dogs, cheap buns, and Hormel chili.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
            Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Sun, 09/8/13 11:19 AM (permalink)
            I like the Hormel no beans.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
              Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Sun, 09/8/13 11:44 AM (permalink)
              Tony Packo's Hot Dog Chili Sauce.

http://www.tonypacko.com/pickles.php

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Sun, 09/8/13 12:17 PM (permalink)
                ces1948

I'm trying the low carb thing for awhile and one of my goto dinners is two or three dogs without buns with kraut and mustard usually. The other day I wanted to try this dish with chopped onion, chili sauce (no beans allowed right now) and shredded cheese. I looked through the canned varieties and went with the Texas Pete figuring it might be good. Wrong! weird texture with some kind of sweet taste. Is there anything out there I might try? 
                ...to me this is the best

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                  Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Sun, 09/8/13 12:29 PM (permalink)
                  I can buy this in my local Fresh Market. It's delicious!
                  Michael Hoffman

Tony Packo's Hot Dog Chili Sauce.

http://www.tonypacko.com/pickles.php

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                    Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Sun, 09/8/13 3:05 PM (permalink)
                    I have tried them all. My favorite is Dixie Chili.
                    https://dixiechili.com/order.php

Tony Packo's is very good as well.

If you will take frozen this is the best:

Chili Topping "Detroit Style"

http://www.koegelmeats.com/store.htm

...Russ

3 Olives

• Total Posts: 101
                      Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Sun, 09/8/13 5:09 PM (permalink)
                      ces1948

Is there anything out there I might try? 

You can try them all but I think they all taste bad. Hotdog chili is not that difficult.

Treetop Tom

• Total Posts: 322
                        Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Mon, 09/9/13 11:06 PM (permalink)
                        Patterson's was the first canned hot dog chili (or so they claim) and to my way of thinking is the best.  It's made in Sanford, NC, and is usually available at Lowes and Piggly Wiggly Supermarkets.  Not sure how is is on carbs, but it is all beef.  My all-time favorite store-bought hot dog chili is Bright Leaf made by Carolina Packers of Smithfield, NC, but it comes frozen in a tub rather than canned.

ces1948

Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Tue, 09/10/13 12:13 AM (permalink)
                          No real luck on the low carb HD chili yet. Found the Skyline at Wallyworld but it was much higher carbs then shown on their website so I passed on that. The only thing I've got right now but haven't tried is Castleberry w/ onion at 1 carb per tbl spoon.. Treetop Toms mention of a frozen tub reminds me to look for a frozen chili brick if there is still such a thing. Growing up a local stand made his hot dog chili from these bricks.

ces1948

Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Wed, 09/11/13 8:33 PM (permalink)
                            Did try the Skyline after all but have to say I was a bit put off by the cinnamon taste. It was kind of interesting though.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                              Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Thu, 09/12/13 9:37 AM (permalink)
                              ces1948

Did try the Skyline after all but have to say I was a bit put off by the cinnamon taste. It was kind of interesting though.

Cinnamon is one of the defining characteristics of Cincy Chili.

Here in Dallas, Kroger carries Skyline (Kroger's corporate HQ is in Cincy).

Wolf Brand Chili for Hot Dogs is available everywhere; it's always less than a buck at "Wal-ly World".

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                                Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Thu, 09/12/13 4:58 PM (permalink)
                                We've used Castleberry's for years. It's pretty good for what it is and tastes pretty good on a Nathan's. We use the regular and have tried the w/onions version and we liked the regular version as our go to. We've tried Wolf Brand and it's OK, but the family seems to prefer Castleberry's.

yuppicide

Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Thu, 09/12/13 10:28 PM (permalink)
                                  Which came first I wonder.. Cincinnati Chili or Texas Weiner chili.. because Skyline and Texas Weiner are pretty similar.

All of the brands of hot dog chili are Walmart are horrible. I get little hard pieces of meat stuck in my teeth.

There's some here you can order:

https://www.nystyledeli.c...;ml=50&id=sMm3z6oZ

I've tried Coach Tony, Don's, and Steve T's. I didn't try Zwigle because it had turkey in it. Don's was a funky flavor if I remember.. tamarind or something.. Hawk Krall liked it I think.

Steve T's is rather interesting. My Grandmother said it tasted like a smelly foot or something. If you taste it by itself it's rather odd, bland, and left a bad aftertaste. If you ate it on a hot dog with bun and mustard, etc... some how it worked very well.

Out of the 3 I think I like Coach Tonys the best.

But above those Rochester Plate Sauce is even better.

ces1948

Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Thu, 09/12/13 11:02 PM (permalink)
                                    So does the Texas Wiener sauce also have the cinnamon taste like Skyline?

yuppicide

Re:Is there any good canned hotdog chili Thu, 10/3/13 10:34 PM (permalink)
                                      Yes, CES.. Texas Weiner to me tastes very close to Skyline. It's my favorite canned chili for hot dogs or just dipping potato chips in.  When I was younger (teens maybe?) I remember my Mom saying some guy was making a recipe for Texas Weiner sauce similar to the one we normally went to. This was pretty much pre-internet, so things weren't as readily available as they are now. My Mom told me he had cinnamon in it and I was like no way WTF.. I didn't believe it. Now that I'm older I sure do. I gave my Mom a recipe.. she lives out in Hawaii. She says it tastes just like what we get back in New Jersey.

Around where I was born and raised in New Jersey there's 8 or 9 different Texas Weiners all within say 10 minutes driving. But my favorite one doesn't sell just bowls of chili. My second favorite one does sell bowls of chili with beans, but they also will sell their chili dog sauce which doesn't have beans.

There's another one in my area that makes chili with chunks of pepperoni and mushroom. If he didn't put mushroom in it I'd like it more. It was pretty good. The pepperoni oils come out a little in the chili.
                                      <message edited by yuppicide on Thu, 10/3/13 10:36 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com