Regional foods I've never had...

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 78
Ketteract
  • Total Posts : 104
  • Reward points : 0
Regional foods I've never had... - Sat, 09/7/13 9:53 AM
Ever since I started browsing Roadfood, I've learned about a ton of American dishes that I've never tried.  They're specific to a region of the country, or a particular state, or even a particular city.  Here's a partial list of my inexperience:

Brunswick stew (general South)
Horseshoe sandwich (Springfield, IL)
Chow mein sandwich (Fall River, MA)
Muffuletta (New Orleans, LA)
Pimento cheese sandwich (general South)
Italian hot dog (NJ)
Hot Brown (Louisville, KY)
Salt potatoes (Syracuse, NY)
Skyline chili (Cincinnati, OH)
Chicken Vesuvio (Chicago, IL)
Pepperoni roll (WV)
Garbage plate (Rochester, NY)
Green chile cheeseburger (general Southwest)
Detroit-style pizza
Seattle-style hot dog
Red-eye gravy (general South)
Beef on weck (western NY)
Onion burger (OK)
Italian sandwich (ME)

Please speak to these if you can, and by all means add more! 

One thing I love is how the dishes that came from Italian immigrants in various parts of the country are so different.  Connecticut has a big Italian tradition, but they've never heard of a Chicago "Italian beef" here and I'm sure many of them aren't familiar with New Jersey's "Italian hot dog" either (which apparently includes potatoes).

FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1500
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Sat, 09/7/13 10:02 AM
I've had the Brunswick Stew(even made it myself sans Okra), the Chow Mein Sandwich, the Muffuletta, and the Beef on a Weck.  All were good, although the Chow Mein Sandwich may be an "acquired" taste.

I once made Salt Potatoes according to a recipe I found..wasn't particularly impressd

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Sat, 09/7/13 10:30 AM
What's a Maine Italian Sandwich, Ketteract?
I grew up with red eye gravy in KC, but it isn't  restaurant fare, just home, for the most part.
I don't think the Oklahoma onion burgers are much different than the Kansas onion burgers I've always enjoyed-maybe they have a better PR team.
<message edited by 1bbqboy on Sat, 09/7/13 10:32 AM>

Ketteract
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Sat, 09/7/13 12:48 PM
The Maine Italian sandwich appears to be this:

http://www.fromaway.com/s...riginal-italian-amatos

And it seems I live just a little too far south in New England to have super-easy access to the definitive place for it.  But of course everything up here is small and scrunched together so it's not like it would be that big of a drive.  I mean, heck, if I'm considering driving six hours to Rochester for a garbage plate...

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1138
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Sat, 09/7/13 1:38 PM
The muffuletta was supposedly created by the Central Grocery for the Italian fruit and vegetable vendors in the French Market.  Like the Earl of Sandwich story, it served as a meal-between-bread that was portable, and could be easily eaten while still attending to their wares.  It starts with a marinated olive salad, made with sliced green and black olives, chopped celery, cauliflower, and carrot, lots of garlic, oregano, olive oil and vinegar.

There is a loaf made for this, it's a large, seeded bun (about 10" in diameter) cut in half horizontally, some of the inner dough pulled out a little to form a pocket for adding olive salad, and slices of mortadella, salami, ham, and provolone (there are other meat combinations but these are the most traditional).  It's sold whole or in half, and depending if you want to share, when you cut it, you end up with a thick, wedged shaped sandwich. 

Purists will tell you the muffuletta should always be served at room temperature and never heated, but I am a little partial to the Napoleon Houses' muf where their's are toasted, and the cheese melts a little.

curds - someone tell me about them

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Sat, 09/7/13 3:13 PM
Ketteract

I will add to your list you can tell me if you have had these wonderful dishes:

St Paul Sandwich - St Louis
Hot Fish - Nashville
Hot Chicken - Nashville
Slugburger - NMS, WTN, NWAL
Grouper Cheeks - Fl Panhandle
Smoked Mullet - FL Panhandle

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Sat, 09/7/13 3:15 PM
BelleReve

curds - someone tell me about them
You want them to squeak when you bite them and they should be slightly salty.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Sat, 09/7/13 7:11 PM
Ditto, Brad. I just bought some from a cheese factory-they were still warm!

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9575
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Sun, 09/8/13 2:23 AM
Sonoran Hot Dogs - AZ
Indian Fry Bread - AZ/NM
Fish Tacos - SoCal
Lebanon Bologna - Eastern PA
Scrapple - Eastern PA
Cheesesteaks - Philly
Soft Pretzels - Philly

cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1597
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Sun, 09/8/13 7:45 AM
Minorcan Chowder - St. Augustine, FL

Ketteract
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 8:38 AM
CajunKing

Ketteract

I will add to your list you can tell me if you have had these wonderful dishes:

St Paul Sandwich - St Louis
Hot Fish - Nashville
Hot Chicken - Nashville
Slugburger - NMS, WTN, NWAL
Grouper Cheeks - Fl Panhandle
Smoked Mullet - FL Panhandle

All new to me!  That St. Paul Sandwich sounds wild. 

Foodbme

Sonoran Hot Dogs - AZ
Indian Fry Bread - AZ/NM
Fish Tacos - SoCal
Lebanon Bologna - Eastern PA
Scrapple - Eastern PA
Cheesesteaks - Philly
Soft Pretzels - Philly

I'd heard of all the PA items listed here, but I've only ever had the cheesesteaks and soft pretzels, and neither of those in its native location.  (The cheesesteaks, I'm ashamed to say, were from a place called "Philly Time" in Kansas City - not bad but, as you can imagine, a far cry from what they're truly meant to be.)

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9805
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 9:19 AM
There are still plenty of regional foods that I haven't had the opportunity to try, yet.  Like ployes in Maine, boiled dinners in New England, ya-ka-mein and maque choux in Louisiana, jibarito in Chicago, downstate chowder in Illinois, chicken booyah in Wisconsin, cashew chicken around Springfield, MO and cudighi in the UP.  No doubt there are many more. 

It is doubtful I will ever try brain sandwiches in St. Louis and chitlins in the South.

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1791
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 9:20 AM
Kneffla(knoefla) soup - ND and upper MN.  A german/scandinavian (I've seen both communities claim it) dumpling and chicken soup.  Rich, thick, very "comfort food".  Typically makes it's appearance come fall and winter in small town cafes in the very upper mid-west.

buffetbuster
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 9:22 AM
For an outstanding source on this topic, check out this thread.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7407
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 9:58 AM
buffetbuster

For an outstanding source on this topic, check out this thread.

Thanks for bringing this up.
It's now time to do some serious updating and adding!

buffetbuster
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 10:10 AM
Ketteract-
Thank you for starting this thread!   What is a Seattle-style hot dog?  I have never heard of this before.

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1791
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 10:23 AM
buffetbuster

Ketteract-
Thank you for starting this thread!   What is a Seattle-style hot dog?  I have never heard of this before.

Seattle style refers to topping the dog with cream cheese.  Something Biker Jim here on the forum popularized in his neck of the woods.

buffetbuster
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 10:31 AM
Ah!  Thanks WarToad!  Can't say that sounds appealing, but worth trying once.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15069
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 11:44 AM
An offshoot of Brunswick Stew is the "Kentucky Burgoo". Authentic recipes use small game and Mutton as the meat base .

Speaking of Mutton, don't forget the Central and Western Kentucky BBQ choice of adult Sheep (not Spring Lamb) for the main course of BBQ Meat.

St Louis is the home of Toasted Ravioli, and 'Snoot (Snout) Sandwiches.

Carmel Pie (so Central Tennessee),  BBQ Spaghetti (Memphis area),  Crwfish/MudBugs (Cajun Louisiana), Mississippi Delta Tamales, Navajo Fry Bread (and related Tacos) Arizona.  Meat Stuffed KOLACHE from the Czech communities in Texas..

You have opened a door to a lot of memories of samples we have tried over the years...thanks

PS- Always add the two Lobster Rolls from New England...Hot with Butter, Cold with Mayo !!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17848
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 1:14 PM
Mr. Mayor, I'll always take burgoo over Brunswick stew.

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7762
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 4:01 PM
Beefsteak Banquet is a wonderful somewhat unknown (to the outside world) tradition & highly-spirited celebration for New Jersey...

http://www.nytimes.com/20...ml?pagewanted=all&_r=0
<message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 09/9/13 4:04 PM>

Michael Hoffman
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 4:17 PM
Now there's a tradition I could enjoy! And here I thought the only thing in New Jersey was the Garden State parkway.

mayor al
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 4:53 PM
That's more a description of serving style or 'ambience', rather than a local menu item.... like the Luau, or Tailgate picnic, or even the traditional Cafeteria-service we find in Indiana.  The subject for a whole different 'regional presentation' discussion !

PS- I could attend one of those NJ sessions to indulge a bit, if it didn't entail actually going (back) to New Jersey !

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 5:04 PM
Ketteract, there are too many regional foods I haven't yet tried to list them all here so I'll just weigh in on the ones on your list that I HAVE tried:  

Brunswick stew (general South) 
Horseshoe sandwich (Springfield, IL) 
Chow mein sandwich (Fall River, MA) 
Muffuletta (New Orleans, LA) 
Pimento cheese sandwich (general South) 
Italian hot dog (NJ) - I've had this twice, both at Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover, NJ on the Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour organized by Roadfooders Benzee and John Fox.  It's hot dog(s), onions, peppers and potatoes (all fried and the potatoes are thck sliced discs) stuffed into a pillowy, soft "pizza bread".  Think focaccia, but hollowed out somewhat to accommodate the fillings.  Many places make it and almost all have their own recipe and/or style.  I still think about that one at Jimmy Buff's 3 years later...

Hot Brown (Louisville, KY) 
Salt potatoes (Syracuse, NY) - Small white potatoes, boiled in heavily salted water and served with LOTS of melted butter.  I've usually had them at the Great NY State Fair (most food vendors sell them at at family/firehouse clambakes.  A true taste of summer in CNY!  
Here are the most recent ones I had after a 10-mile race through Syracuse this past May.  And boy did I need to replenish with lots of salt!

Skyline chili (Cincinnati, OH) 
Chicken Vesuvio (Chicago, IL) 
Pepperoni roll (WV) 
Garbage plate (Rochester, NY) - I've only had it one time, but not at Nick Tahou's where it originated and the name is trademarked.  Other places can serve the same dish but they must call it something else, usually "trash plate", "refuse plate", or dumpster plate".  Tahou's had a booth at the Lilac Festival in Rochester in the early 1990s and while visiting friend in the area we went to the festival and I indulged in one of these plates after hearing a few of my U of R friends speak highly of it.  More than 20 years later I crave another one.  Chose your meat (hamburger, hot dog, sausage, etc...) and they cover it with a meat/chili sauce, home fries, chopped onions, mustard and hot sauce.  A scoop of macaroni salad and a scoop of baked beans on the side of the same plate and a couple slices of bread.  Sorry, no pics of this one.  Fer what ails ya!
Green chile cheeseburger (general Southwest) -  finally had my first one ever in New Mexico that past July at the Owl Cafe in Albuquerque.  No condiments.  Just bun, meat, chiles, cheese and bun.  Everything I had hoped it would be and I'd love to hit the Green Chile Cheeseburger Trail one day in search of many more!

Detroit-style pizza 
Seattle-style hot dog 
Red-eye gravy (general South) 
Beef on weck (western NY) - a Buffalo area specialty that's rarely found outside of its home origin, I've only ever had one in the cafe at a Wegman's supermarket in Syracuse, NY.  While it certainly doesn't convey the atmosphere of Schwabl's or Charlie the Butcher's, the flavor is quite amazing.  The "weck" refers to the Kummelweck (Kimmelweck?) roll coated in salt & caraway seeds that gives it that unique flavor.  

Onion burger (OK) 
Italian sandwich (ME) 

Cheers!  -billyboy

FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1500
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Mon, 09/9/13 11:52 PM
CCinNJ

Beefsteak Banquet is a wonderful somewhat unknown (to the outside world) tradition & highly-spirited celebration for New Jersey...

http://www.nytimes.com/20...ml?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Damn........I worked and lived right there for a year and never knew about this!

mayor al
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 09/10/13 9:53 AM
Billyboy,
  Would you consider the "Hot Ham Sandwich" offered by Eddie's in Sylvan Beach (Onieda Lakeshore) An individual 'Menu Quirk', or a regional specialty for the Central N Y Area?

Davebassman
  • Total Posts : 116
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 09/10/13 10:34 AM
There's a bar/restaurant in my hometown, Herndon, Va. - Jimmy's Old Town Tavern owned by a native of Buffalo. They serve a lot of "Buffalo food". I've been able to try Buffalo wings ( claims to be the Anchor Bar recipe), Beef on weck, Poutine and Salen(sp?) hot dogs. I like it all and now that my son is attending college in upstate NY, I hope to be able to get to Buffalo and try the "real thing".

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 09/10/13 2:20 PM
Mayor Al, "Hot Ham Sandwiches" are definitely a regional specialty of CNY (started at Eddie's as the story goes, so it may have begun there as a menu quirk) however, I think that "BBQ Ham Sandwiches" are more readily found in the area these days.  Both equally delicious.  Heading up to Rome for a long weekend so I'll be partaking in some in just a few days!!!

Davebassman, a belated welcome to Roadfood!!  That sounds awesome though I'd be surprised if you are able to find poutine in the Buffalo (Western NY) area as it is pretty much a Northern NY (Massena, Potsdam, Malone, Plattsburgh) thing since they are so close to Montreal, the birthplace of poutine.  
I used to work in NJ with a guy who is born and bred NJ all the way.  His family runs a seafood shack on the Jersey Shore in the summer.  He came into work one day and said, "You're from Central NY, right?  What's the big deal with these Chicken Riggies I keep hearing about?"  I said, "How did YOU hear about Chicken Riggies?"  Turns out the guy who owns the bar/restaurant next to my friend's family's place is from Rome, NY and put some CNY specialties on the menu, including Riggies and he kept bending my friend's ear to come by and try them!  Sometimes these regional foods we love do end up traveling to the most unexpected places!

Ketteract
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Fri, 09/13/13 3:58 PM
billyboy - all those photos are mouthwatering, and I have to say, I fixated on the Syracuse salt potatoes.  I never knew boiled potatoes could look so amazing.

Additional things I've found out about:

Sugar Cream Pie (IN)
Pastrami burger (UT)
Jibarito (Chicago)
Woodford pudding (KY)
Charleston dog (WV)
Breakfast scramble (WI)
Calf fries (OK)
Gym Shoe (Chicago)
Funeral potatoes (UT)
Runzas (NE)
Tri-tip steak (CA)

Buffalo Tarheel
  • Total Posts : 492
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Fri, 09/13/13 7:28 PM
buffetbuster

There are still plenty of regional foods that I haven't had the opportunity to try, yet.  Like ployes in Maine, boiled dinners in New England, ya-ka-mein and maque choux in Louisiana, jibarito in Chicago, downstate chowder in Illinois, chicken booyah in Wisconsin, cashew chicken around Springfield, MO and cudighi in the UP.  No doubt there are many more. 

It is doubtful I will ever try brain sandwiches in St. Louis and chitlins in the South.

I have smelled chitlins cooking as a kid growing up in NC, and I was always amazed that someone would eat anything so offensive-smelling.  I may be a traitor to my culture but can say you are wise to avoid them.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Fri, 09/13/13 7:48 PM
I've eaten chitterlings (really, that's chitlins). I did not want to eat them. But I was a guest in my best friend's home (high school) and that's what his grandmother was making. I have no plans to ever eat them again.

CajunKing
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Fri, 09/13/13 9:18 PM
Ketteract

The book 500 things to eat before its too late...
From Michael and Jane Stern

http://www.amazon.com/500...ore-Late/dp/0547059078

Is chock full of wonderful regional items and MANY of them I had not heard of or tried, but as god as my witness, I will attempt to eat everyone of them before I die (except maybe the testicle section of the book)

psst if you want a copy of the book check eBay I got mine for $5.88 and free shipping

felix4067
  • Total Posts : 3304
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Fri, 09/13/13 9:25 PM
Michael Hoffman

I've eaten chitterlings (really, that's chitlins). I did not want to eat them. But I was a guest in my best friend's home (high school) and that's what his grandmother was making. I have no plans to ever eat them again.

I had a similar experience at a party after a show one night. They weren't awful, but even before I found out what I was eating I was not fond of the taste or texture.

What's funny is how many of the regional foods listed here I've eaten, but seldom if ever in the regions from which they come. We used to make Brunswick stew all the time (using squirrel, typically, sometimes rabbit, shot behind the house), Muffuletta I've had the great pleasure of eating in New Orleans, same with pimiento cheese sandwiches. Salt potatoes I can only assume are something different from the boiled salted potatoes my grandma served with every meal, or at least I hope so. While I've never eaten actual Skyline chili, I have eaten chili over pasta and I'm not a fan. Oddly, I had no idea there was such a thing as a specific Detroit-style pizza, but if we're talking about it being square then that's what we made throughout my childhood. Red-eye gravy was another thing my grandma and mother used to make all the time, although I've also eaten it any number of times in the South.

Indian fry bread I've never had from Arizona or New Mexico, but the tribes here make some that melts in your mouth while still being chewy and filling. Fish tacos I didn't know came from SoCal, since I first had them at a restaurant in Detroit. I also had no idea soft pretzels were a regional thing...they taught us how to make them in high school home ec class and I used to get them at the mall all the time when I was a kid. Crawfish I happily learned to eat rather than avoid while swimming while I was in Biloxi. Is breakfast scramble really regional to Wisconsin? In our family, that's a traditional Christmas breakfast, because you don't have to mess with a bunch of different pans.

I just realized through the course of going back and forth to gather the names of stuff I come across snippy. I didn't mean to...a lot of these I honestly had no clue they were considered regional specialties. My family has been from nowhere else in the US since they came over from Europe, and many of them are standard dinner fare with us. 

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9575
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Sat, 09/14/13 3:19 AM

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 12/17/13 12:42 PM
Bay corn!

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3588
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 12/17/13 1:31 PM
There are certain parts of the country that I haven't been to yet and that is where I need to try:
Cincinnati Chili
Kentucky Mutton Burgoo
Kentucky Hot Brown
Maine Lobster roll
Philly Cheesesteak
Conch Chowder and fritters
Indiana Tenderloin sandwich
Some items I have had elsewhere but of course I want to try them in the area that made them famous. And of course I need to try:
Lutefisk

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6227
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 12/17/13 2:27 PM
EdSails

There are certain parts of the country that I haven't been to yet and that is where I need to try:
Cincinnati Chili
Kentucky Mutton Burgoo
Kentucky Hot Brown
Maine Lobster roll
Philly Cheesesteak
Some items I have had elsewhere but of course I want to try them in the area that made them famous. And of course I need to try:
Lutefisk

I've had all those items in their specific locale except Lutefisk where I've lived now for 43 years and where it is made here in Minnesota. On that one I am waiting for wanderingjew to tell me how good it is.

EdSails
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 12/17/13 2:41 PM
Davydd

EdSails

Cincinnati Chili
Kentucky Mutton Burgoo
Kentucky Hot Brown
Maine Lobster roll
Philly Cheesesteak
Lutefisk

I've had all those items in their specific locale except Lutefisk where I've lived now for 43 years and where it is made here in Minnesota. On that one I am waiting for wanderingjew to tell me how good it is.

I think all of us will anxiously await wanderingjew's lutefisk report. 

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 12/17/13 3:08 PM
I know a little bit of the history of the fish taco.

I never went with them, but several friends of mine, mostly police officers, used to take trips to Baja.  Specifically, they went to a town called San Felipe.  They would always come back raving about the fish tacos they got from a cart on the beach.
One of those guys, Steve Rubio, liked them so much, he opened a little restaurant on Mission Bay in San Diego.  He opened in a building that had previously housed an Orange Julius franchise.   Needless to say, the concept went over well.  A few years later, I found fish tacos on a menu in Florida.  Now they're everywhere.  But Rubio was the visionary.

EdSails
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 12/17/13 3:48 PM
Poverty Pete

I know a little bit of the history of the fish taco.

I never went with them, but several friends of mine, mostly police officers, used to take trips to Baja.  Specifically, they went to a town called San Felipe.  They would always come back raving about the fish tacos they got from a cart on the beach.
One of those guys, Steve Rubio, liked them so much, he opened a little restaurant on Mission Bay in San Diego.  He opened in a building that had previously housed an Orange Julius franchise.   Needless to say, the concept went over well.  A few years later, I found fish tacos on a menu in Florida.  Now they're everywhere.  But Rubio was the visionary.

Preety much right, Poverty Pete, except it is Ralph Rubio. 

Here's a photo I took of Ralph Rubio a few months ago when I joined him to try their new langoustine lobster tacos. He's a nice guy and very passionate about sustainability, the ocean environment and of course, food. And he still enjoys fish tacos!

SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 12/17/13 8:23 PM
billyboy

Salt potatoes (Syracuse, NY) - Small white potatoes, boiled in heavily salted water and served with LOTS of melted butter.  I've usually had them at the Great NY State Fair (most food vendors sell them at at family/firehouse clambakes.  A true taste of summer in CNY!  
Here are the most recent ones I had after a 10-mile race through Syracuse this past May.  And boy did I need to replenish with lots of salt!

Garbage plate (Rochester, NY) - I've only had it one time, but not at Nick Tahou's where it originated and the name is trademarked.  Other places can serve the same dish but they must call it something else, usually "trash plate", "refuse plate", or dumpster plate".  Tahou's had a booth at the Lilac Festival in Rochester in the early 1990s and while visiting friend in the area we went to the festival and I indulged in one of these plates after hearing a few of my U of R friends speak highly of it.  More than 20 years later I crave another one.  Chose your meat (hamburger, hot dog, sausage, etc...) and they cover it with a meat/chili sauce, home fries, chopped onions, mustard and hot sauce.  A scoop of macaroni salad and a scoop of baked beans on the side of the same plate and a couple slices of bread.  Sorry, no pics of this one.  Fer what ails ya!
Cheers!  -billyboy

Salt potatoes are a staple in central NY, we eat them with everything during the summer.

A garbage plate restaurant opened around the corner from our place in Oneonta, we've become friendly with the owner and I eat there once or twice a week. Today I had a hot plate with garlic mashed potatoes, topped with philly cheese steak, the ubiquitous "Rochester" sauce (their sauce is really spicy), and chopped onions and mustard. Sloppy but really good.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 12/17/13 8:27 PM
Sounds like the potatoes served at a Fish Boil around Wilson and Olcott on Lake Ontario.

SeamusD
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 12/17/13 9:06 PM
Could be, it's not far from Syracuse where these particular spuds were "born".

Pancho
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Wed, 12/18/13 8:50 AM
Cornell chicken....I make it at home, but have never had it in Ithaca.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7407
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Wed, 12/18/13 10:22 AM
Davydd

EdSails

Cincinnati Chili
Kentucky Mutton Burgoo
Kentucky Hot Brown
Maine Lobster roll
Philly Cheesesteak
Lutefisk

I feel honored for thinking that I had something to do with this, but honestly you're taking all the credit away from the Sterns for including Lutefisk in the pre website    pre Bruce Bilmes Roadfood books (there I've finally said it)

Michael Hoffman
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Wed, 12/18/13 1:20 PM
Said what?

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3667
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Wed, 12/18/13 4:14 PM
Michael Hoffman

Said what?

Thank you for asking.  I have no idea what he meant either.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Wed, 12/18/13 4:34 PM
WJ is obsessed with Bruce & Sue?

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6227
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Wed, 12/18/13 6:42 PM
Lunds & Byerlys supermarkets are selling Lutefisk this holiday season for home consumption. The white gelatanous goop looks tempting (not really) but I've been informed by my wife Minnesota wild rice soup is planned for Christmas Eve and Swedish meatballs are planned for Christmas day. That's as Minnesota as we'll get and she will also have her pickled herring.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Wed, 12/18/13 7:19 PM
Too bad about the lutefisk, but as long as there's pickled herring ... .

mayor al
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Wed, 12/18/13 7:24 PM
I do love the Herring filets in wine sauce...any time of year ! ( the Herring in Sour Cream, not so much !)

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Wed, 12/18/13 8:46 PM
Michael Hoffman

With herring it's the fish that's pickled; with lutefisk it's often the consumer.

EdSails
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Wed, 12/18/13 9:34 PM
Michael Hoffman

No truer words were ever spoken!

Pancho
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Thu, 12/19/13 7:33 AM
mayor al

I do love the Herring filets in wine sauce...any time of year ! ( the Herring in Sour Cream, not so much !)
I love the latter as long as it's Vita brand...I doctor it with some sliced Vidalia, crushed black pepper and a splash of Sriracha.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Thu, 12/19/13 8:28 AM
I love both pickled and sour cream herring. We have a local factory-called Ma Baensch-really good stuff!

CajunKing
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Thu, 12/19/13 4:24 PM
EdSails

Cincinnati Chili
Kentucky Mutton Burgoo
Kentucky Hot Brown
Maine Lobster roll
Philly Cheesesteak
Lutefisk

If you make it to the chili crawl I can help you get these off your havent eaten list!!!!!

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2652
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Thu, 12/19/13 5:15 PM
ScreamingChicken

Michael Hoffman

With herring it's the fish that's pickled; with lutefisk it's often the consumer.

Two thumbs up! 

SeamusD
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Tue, 12/24/13 8:27 PM
Pancho

Cornell chicken....I make it at home, but have never had it in Ithaca.

I've eaten in Ithaca numerous times, but never Cornell chicken. I live right up the road from Brook's BBQ in Oneonta, NY, their Cornell chicken is some of the best I've ever had. Or drive through any small town on a Saturday or Sunday, and you'll find a firehouse or church having a chicken bbq with Cornell style chicken. The dinners usually consist of central NY items... Cornell chicken (usually half a chicken), salt potatoes, and Grandma Brown's baked beans (with molasses and brown sugar). Usually all have a soft roll, a packet of plastic dinnerware and napkin, and a wet knap. One of my all time favorite meals.

Texascajun
  • Total Posts : 115
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Wed, 12/25/13 12:57 AM
Davydd

Lunds & Byerlys supermarkets are selling Lutefisk this holiday season for home consumption. The white gelatanous goop looks tempting (not really) but I've been informed by my wife Minnesota wild rice soup is planned for Christmas Eve and Swedish meatballs are planned for Christmas day. That's as Minnesota as we'll get and she will also have her pickled herring.

Was just watching Bizaar America while wrapping presents and Andrew Zimmern ate sausage made with luefisk. He and the man who makes it said it was good (I'll take their word for it).

EdSails
Re:Regional foods I've never had... - Wed, 12/25/13 1:09 AM
CajunKing

EdSails

Cincinnati Chili
Kentucky Mutton Burgoo
Kentucky Hot Brown
Maine Lobster roll
Philly Cheesesteak
Lutefisk

If you make it to the chili crawl I can help you get these off your havent eaten list!!!!!

That sounds like a challenge!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 78