Hot!What would be your first "off the plane" meal ?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
2013/09/10 08:40:51 (permalink)

What would be your first "off the plane" meal ?

Will_work_4_bbq's recent thread about finding that one meal in Kansas City got me wondering about that 1 definitive roadfood meal in various larger cities around the country....I know TTM  has told me that his "first meal" off the plane in NYC is always Katz's...

So what would your one definitive roadfood meal be in different cities if you only had the opportunity for "just one meal" (or maybe 2)?

I"ll start with a few and add on some more eventually

-Boston - (If I lived far enough away) Durgin Park (I know Ayersian and Bruce Bilmes are shaking their heads)

-Denver- Buckhorn Exchange (Ayersian and Bruce Bilmes are still shaking their heads) (The Fort is a close second...they're still shaking their heads)  

-Kansas City- Strouds (finally I'm getting a thumbs up) (LC's BBQ is a close second)

-Philadelphia - Tony Luke's

-Baltimore-  G & M Restaurant and Carryout

-Des Moines- Iowa Machine Shed

-Miami -Puerto Sagua or Joe's Stone Crab (when they're open in season)

-Austin- Smitty's (Hoover's is close second)

-Memphis- Payne's BBQ

-New Orleans- Mother's Restaurant

-Buffalo- Schwabl's

-Charlotte- LaWan's Soul Food

-Raleigh- Allen and Son's

-San Francisco- Tadich Grill (Dol Ho would be a close second)

-Los Angeles- Tough choice- either California Roll Factory (( know Mar is shaking her head) or Philippe's

-Omaha - Johnny's Cafe

-Seattle - Spud Fish and Chips

-Portland, OR- Dan and Louie's Oyster Bar

-Portland ME- Gilbert's Chowder House

-Twin Cities - Tavern on Grand & Any place serving Hotdish (Davydd is shaking his head-2nd choice is a joke
 ) 

-Charleston SC- 82 Queen street

-Savannah GA- The Crab Shack   

-Cleveland OH- Sokolowski's

-Reno- Santa Fe Basque

-Boise- Bar Gernika

-Salt Lake City- Sill's Cafe

-Manchester NH (if I lived far enough away) Chez Vachon

-NYC (if I lived far enough away) sorry TTM I'm still a Second Avenue Deli Guy

-San Antonio- Chris Madrid's

-Milwaukee- Kopp's followed by The Milwaukee Brat House

-St Louis - Ted Drewe's

-Phoenix- Tacos De Juarez

-Pittsburgh- Wholey's with Pierogis Plus a close second

-Indianapolis- Gray's Cafeteria

-Birmingham- Miss Myra's Pit Bar B Que

-Jackson MS- Two Sister's Kitchen

-Wichita- The Breadbasket (Newton)

-Las Vegas- The Golden Steer

-Chicago-  Gene and Georgetti followed by Lou Malnati's

-Detroit-  New Parthenon followed by Lafayette Coney Island

post edited by wanderingjew - 2013/09/17 09:36:14

63 Replies Related Threads

RKB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 172
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 08:59:31 (permalink)
    Cincinnati - Camp Washington Chili
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 09:01:19 (permalink)
    Chicago - Pequod's Pizza
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 481
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 09:05:48 (permalink)
    Well for me, coming home (since I travel a lot) - my husband picked me up at JFK this weekend after 2 weeks away - our first stop?? Modern Pizza, New Haven (which for us just SLIGHTLY edges out Pepe's and Sallys). When I landed in LAX after two weeks in Asia, I had the taxi driver take me to In-and-Out Burger on the way to the hotel.

brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1109
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 09:32:33 (permalink)
    Georgetown TX Monument Cafe for chicken fried steak.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 09:47:10 (permalink)
    Durant's in Phoenix.....went to college in Boston in the mid 60's, when Durgin Park was Durgin Park, not a tourist destination it is now...IMO.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 09:52:59 (permalink)
    myterry2

Durant's in Phoenix.....went to college in Boston in the mid 60's, when Durgin Park was Durgin Park, not a tourist destination it is now...IMO.

It's still Durgin Park and it's still excellent- Many locals still go there (argumentably you can say the same thing about Katz's Deli in NYC and Pat's in Philly)

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 09:55:45 (permalink)
    I decided to look back at the flights I have already taken this year and see what was our first meal after arriving.

Philadelphia - John's Roast Pork  Could not have asked for a better choice.  John's was fantastic!

Mobile - Got in late, so no dinner.  Next morning, we drove to Montgomery, so first meal was at Isaiah's.  Would have loved to made it to Brick Pit or Wintzell's, but this was a fine consolation prize.

Fort Myers - Austrian-German Restaurant   Was with the family and everyone loved their food.  One of the better German restaurants I have visited in the last few years.

Chicago - Al's #1 Italian Beef  Chicago has so much to choose from, but this was still a fine first meal.

Manchester - Hart's Turkey Farm  Another winner, it was like Thanksgiving dinner in April!

San Francisco - Joanne's Café  Wasn't planning on going into the city until later in the trip, so this place provided a solid breakfast in South San Francisco.  Besides, the company couldn't be beat, since loves2bake met me here. 

Houston (Hobby) - Capt'n Benny's  Never thought I would like this restaurant as much as I do.

Albuquerque - Papa Felipe's  We had plans to meet ChiTownDiner and cousin Johnny at some of the other New Mexican staples in town later in the trip, so this was more out of convenience.  Not sure I would go back.

Wichita - Jeanne's Café  Arrived late enough that everything was closed, so Jeanne's was breakfast the next morning.

It looks like I only made it to the ideal place two or three times so far.

Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 10:02:46 (permalink)
    Washington DC (Dulles Airport) - Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon - Jimmy's wings and a  cold Yeungling draft!
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1051
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 11:14:30 (permalink)
    Indianapolis -- Gray Bros. Cafeteria couldn't be more convenient to the airport. 
    That said, it wouldn't be my first choice.  Assuming a car and time, I'd choose Hollyhock Hill
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2634
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 11:24:01 (permalink)
    Based on recent flights and arrival times:

PHX - Fry Bread House.

RDU - Bojangles (only place open at midnight) or The Varsity (when I miss my connection in Atlanta).
    post edited by JRPfeff - 2013/09/10 19:15:45
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5075
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 11:33:53 (permalink)
    -Dallas- First Chinese BBQ.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 11:38:02 (permalink)
    Good thread, WJ!

NYC - I don't know if Katz's is my "every time" first stop right off the plane, but it has definitely been my first stop off the plane. I fly into LGA in a few weeks, and my flight gets in right around noon. I suspect that given the time and the proximity, you could probably bet heavily that my first stop will be for a burger at Peter Luger in Great Neck. Depending on routing, Katz's can often be my last stop before departure, too. For instance, if I am flying out of EWR and have to drive through the city to get there, Katz's could absolutely be what's eaten on the plane!

AUS - In years past, I have certainly gotten off the plane, hopped in the rental car and made a beeline for Lockhart. I can say that both Kreutz's and Smitty's have been my first food stop off the plane. However, with the recent explosion of really good barbecue in Austin proper, I don't feel the need to drive 30-40 minutes to get my 'cue fix. I fly into Austin this past Sunday, and my first stop was at La Barbecue, a trailer run by one of the Mueller family on First. If I can get barbecue that looks like this: 

...and, in my opinion, tasted at least as good as it looks - why would I drive so far out of my way? I have also made both Round Rock Donuts and Southside Market my first (and/or last) stops off the plane.

BWI - I think G&M Restaurant is a no-brainer for Baltimore. Not only is it close to the airport, but it is also one of the best crab cakes in all of Baltimore.

DFW - Though Celebration Restaurant is far more convenient to Love Field, this is often my first stop when I arrive in Dallas.

IAH - I fly in and out of Houston a lot. When I do, I almost always make Jimmy G's Seafood my first stop. The location is convenient if you are heading from the airport towards the Galleria area (where I sometimes stay). They do excellent Cajun-style seafood, popular in the Houston area. For those of you that are oyster eaters, this is your place in H-Town.

MCI - I know that I have picked up my checked bag and rental car and hauled it to Stroud's to be the last customer of the night upon arrival in Kansas City.

LAX - From the airport, with a good arm, you could hit Randy's Donuts in Inglewood. Iconic signage, open late hours, decent sugar-filled treats....works for me!

MLW - Kopp's. No explanation needed.

ORD - The last few times I have flown in Chicago, I didn't rent a car. When I do, my usual first stop is Paradise Pup, again, mostly because of the proximity to O'Hare.

PHL - In most cases, my first stop is John's Roast Pork, assuming I am arriving at an hour when this is appropriate. Of the major steak places, this is the one with the shortest hours, I think.

PIT - Given the choice, my first and last meal in and out of town would be a fish sandwich from Wholley's Market in the Strip. Sometimes, I have to suffer through a burger at Tessaro's instead.

PDX - It usually seems to work out that I arrive into Portland later in the evenings. The light-rail from the airport is super convenient to downtown, so it is quite common for me to get to my hotel and then hit the late-night menu at Huber's. Given that they also serve my all-time favorite meal (the traditional Thanksgiving-style turkey dinner) on their regular menu, you could catch me there during the day, too!

RDU - This one is more for the nostalgia purposes of when I actually lived there, but I tend to go straight to Elmo's Diner in either Durham or Carrboro.

STL - My first stop in St Louis is usually O'Connell's for their fantastic roast beef sandwich. My last stop is at Ted Drewe's for a concrete.

SEA - I hate to keep repeating a theme, but due to its proximity to the airport, 13 Coins has been my first or last stop in Seattle many times.

(I excluded cities into which I don't normally fly - like Florida cities, SAV, CHS, etc.)
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4091
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 11:40:41 (permalink)
    Washington, D.C.:  Weenie Beenie in Arlington, VA for an XL Carolina 'Cue sandwich (hold the slaw, add hot sauce) and a Mountain Dew, no ice.  (It has become a tradition for me).
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6825
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 12:52:00 (permalink)
    Boston - The Daily Catch
    Pittsburgh  - Wholey's
    Anchorage - Humpy's
    Mobile - Wintzell's
    Santa Fe - Santa Fe (Bobcat) Bite
    New Orleans - Mother's
    Sioux City, IA - drive to LeMars to Archie's Waeside
    Columbus - Philip's Coney Island
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7903
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 14:33:06 (permalink)
    Great topic, Dale!  (and yes, still shaking, but smiling)

Tito's Tacos is my Los Angeles stop although I just took my guests to Randy's because they didn't want Mexican food.

El Guero Canelo in Tucson

Cafe du Monde in New Orleans (Every morning and sometimes at night)

Prince's in Nashville

Any place on the Pier 39 in San Francisco for Dungeness Crab

Spanger's in Berkeley

Maxwell's for breakfast in the Venice/Culver City/Marina del Rey area

Ivar's in Seattle

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 14:41:06 (permalink)
    Mar,

I'm going to find that article that described California Roll Factory as the "definitive" LA meal. Still haven't even found anything similar or close to it here in New England.

I know how much you enjoy Tito's Tacos but based on your photos, I'm sure it's verygood but looks like something you can find anywhere in the Southwest.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5075
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 14:48:40 (permalink)
    I remember once after a group of us enjoyed an extended tour of Italy, while at Heathrow airport waiting for our flight back to Dallas, our group made a bee line for Friday's for some well missed burgers, stuffed fried potato skins and ice tea.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4091
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 14:55:48 (permalink)
    WJthis thread!

-------------------------

DFW:  Chef Point Cafe has both expanded and improved since this, which got us to try it, first aired :

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 16:44:35 (permalink)
    Dale, I can get those Wacky California Rolls all around here but there's only one place for a Tito's taco.

Some have tried but they've never been duplicated.

BUT... If you're from New England, I understand.  I want Ipswich Clams!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 16:59:58 (permalink)
    Mar,

I'll trade you some fried clams (whole belly of course), throw in a couple of stuffies
    and you can send me a coupla "Mike" Rolls and a coupla  "Chenzo" rolls from the California Roll Factory
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 18:21:28 (permalink)
      Wouldn't that be nice if we could do that?

But then, what would I have on my list?
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 18:30:04 (permalink)
    Seaside Heights , New Jersey   Marucas PIzza
    Sacramento CA ,Sams Hof Brau
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 19:22:32 (permalink)
    Chicago-  Frontera Grill!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 19:24:22 (permalink)
    WJ - I can see you have thought about this for awhile.  I love your list
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8363
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 19:50:00 (permalink)
    Coming home-Milwaukee-George Webbs
    Lax-Sees and California Kitchen
    Raleigh-Bojangles( compare to chicken in Milwaukee-its huge and well fried)
    Phoenix-nothing-had to run for the next plane!!!!
    By the way WJ-a very fun thread!
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 20:28:21 (permalink)
    Manchester New Hampshire,Red Arrow Diner

Washington PA, Breezy Heights Tavern
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18450
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 20:28:32 (permalink)
    Miami: Joe's Stone Crab
    New Orleans: Acme Oyster House (or maybe Café du Monde)
    New York: A delicatessen, or Rao's, or 21
    New Haven: Pepe's, of course
    Atlanta: Buckhead Diner
    Mobile: Wintzell's
    Santa Fe: Bobcat Bite (Santa Fe Bite)
    Pittsburgh: Wholey's, Primanti Brothers
    Charlotte Amalie: Crazy Cow
    San Francisco: Tadich Grill
    Seattle: Ivar's House of Clams, 13 Coins (Come to think of it, the 13 Coins I really like happens to be across 99 from SeaTac, so I guess that would be the first stop after getting off the plane [in the unlikely event I would ever again get on a commercial aircraft]).

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2013/09/10 22:25:38
    OxDawg
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/10 21:50:22 (permalink)
    Las Vegas     In n Out Burger
    Biloxi/Gulfport   Whitecap, Blow Fly Inn
    Atlanta  Mamie's Kitchen for breakfast after the redeye

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10259
    Re:What would be your first "off the plane" meal ? 2013/09/12 02:10:09 (permalink)
    Chicago - Millers Pub - http://www.millerspub.com/
    Pensacola -Coffee Cup - http://coffeecuppensacola.com/
    NYC - Carnegie Deli or Grand Central Oyster Bar
    Tampa - Berns Steakhouse - http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/
    NOLA - Pascal's Manale -  http://www.neworleansrestaurants.com/pascalsmanale/menu.html
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1