Generator and Propane Mounting Problem

Hamburger
2013/09/10 09:19:59
I am in contact with my local FD but I'm also wondering if anyone is having a imilar issue.  Any personal experiences will be helpful (I am not looking for direction).

Does anyone house their generator and propane tank together in close proximity?  My initial plan was to have them both located on the rear of the vehicle and this now seems to be a problem for me.  Any similar experiences?  How did you deal with your issue?  
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Generator and Propane Mounting Problem 2013/09/10 11:00:43
maybe one corner and the other,but not next to each other.

MurphyR
Junior Burger
Re:Generator and Propane Mounting Problem 2013/09/10 15:35:56
Can you enclose the propane tanks?
I have a 12 KW Onan between two 100 lb tanks.
All on the back of the truck.
Tanks are in aluminum cabinets I built.

I can't post pictures yet so PM me and I'll email pictures if you want to see.

Randy
Pacmob
Junior Burger
Re:Generator and Propane Mounting Problem 2013/09/20 22:13:40
Depends where you live. I have built out trucks for 4 or 5 states, US and Canada. A very common thing is for the local FD or other departments to require they be separate. Reason seems obvious enough. Hot generator next to a tank of gas.....

These days we use undermount LP tanks and fabricate our own generator boxes under our trucks.
Rcoy
Hamburger
Re:Generator and Propane Mounting Problem 2013/09/21 10:38:45
You live in PO? You should swing by and see the bus i am building in Bremerton.

https://www.facebook.com/KingBiscuitMobileCafe
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Generator and Propane Mounting Problem 2013/09/21 11:25:26
MurphyR

Can you enclose the propane tanks?
I have a 12 KW Onan between two 100 lb tanks.
All on the back of the truck.
Tanks are in aluminum cabinets I built.

I can't post pictures yet so PM me and I'll email pictures if you want to see.

Randy

Tanks can be enclosed or under mounted with a side access door.    ... Just be aware that propane (LPG) is heaver than air.   Than means, it there is a leak or a spill propane will pool in the bottom of the enclosure like 'water in a bucket'.   ... so leave the bottom open or use expanded metal for the bottom.  Let spilled propane drain out.

It is not advisable to put the generator and the PLG tank in the same compartment whether the FD or HD allows it or not.   Eventually, an accident WILL happen.
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
Re:Generator and Propane Mounting Problem 2013/09/21 19:01:34
Can't predict what codes would apply, but we have installed tanks (NGV high pressure type) adjacent in a utility compartment that contains water heater, generator and such, with a solid separator wall between the equipment and tanks, the tank area is then heavily ventilated with louver type panels, with the lowest tank above the lowest louvre such that any gas build up is more difficult to occur or settle in the lower area.  
The more open the area of the tanks is the better as stated above.  If its in an enclosed area, you can use marine type gas detector as an alarm for a shut off system.  If you google marine applications for this type of design you'll find a lot of info.
I'm not sure of codes in the states, but rear bumper mounted tanks of any type would not be a choice for us.  Is simply too easy to have a rear end collision these days and I'd never want all that fuel, whatever type let loose from a split tank.  Its one thing to have a small leak and have good ventilation to disperse it, but a big sudden rupture would be an instant conflagration IMHO.  
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Generator and Propane Mounting Problem 2013/09/23 23:55:06
propane can and will vent out your tank and it settles down a gen has a spark plug and does backfire to things not good around propane.use a under mount tank,mount the gen on the front,etc.