Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2013/09/12 17:35:23

Watching the 5 O'clock news, huge fire on the Seaside Heights Boardwalk, engulfing Maruca's and many other businesses. This is devastating, after having to rebuild after Sandy it looks like they will have to do it all over again.

We were there just a few weeks ago and the pizza was as good as ever, even after relocating to a new location at another spot on the boardwalk.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_jersey&id=9245830

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/13 09:51:31
The only fortunate news here is that both "Sandy" and this catastrophe happened after Labor Day. 

Even if everyone was insured there will still be massive expense, inconvenience, and lost revenue. 

No wonder Gov. Christie said he felt "sick to his stomach".  This fire was a "low blow", indeed.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/13 11:45:19
We could see the smoke from here in Brick....horrible......this is NOT fair....another question to have explained when I get to the pearly gates. Let's keep seaside in our thoughts!
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/13 12:09:31
Tragic - luckily only minor injuries.  Hopefully bringing the new construction up to Code with firewalls and sprinklers will help prevent this from happening again.
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/13 12:24:37
I'm not sure but hadn't this area already been rebuilt 6 months or so ago?  If so, things should've been up to code but I can't tell if the boardwalk referred to in the ABC story is just the boardwalk itself or it plus the buildings...could someone please clarify?
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/09/13 12:33:18
ken8038
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/13 14:24:20
It's the boardwalk, businesses, just about everything in a 6 block stretch. When you say "buildings", what they really are is a chain of low-slung one or two story wooden structures. I have no idea what the codes are for these buildings but generally they seem to be a fire waiting to happen. It's being said that the tarpaper roofs of these buildings was a major accelerant, along with 20 to 30 mph winds due to an approaching front.

This link gives up to date info, plus a slide show and some video.
http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2013/09/investigators_begin_their_work_to_find_cause_and_tally_losses_as_christie_promises_seaside_boardwalk.html#incart_maj-story-2

leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/13 15:30:50
The latest is the fire has been labeled suspicious...see article below......
http://gma.yahoo.com/jersey-boardwalk-fire-eyed-suspicious-officials-131646584--abc-news-topstories.html
rumaki
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/13 15:51:32
I know this thread is focused on Maruca's, but it appears from the news accounts I've read that the historic Looff carousel that they had JUST restored was also destroyed in the fire.  Can anyone confirm that?  The stories I read speak of "one of the TWO historic carousels in town," but I don't know whether or not it was the Looff (which is irreplaceable) is the one that's gone.
agnesrob
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/13 18:55:22
Oh, no! The Looff was beautiful. I hope it was not destroyed! Such a sad occurrence! My Mom lived about 15 minutes away, and for many years, Seaside was me and my kids Summer vacation when my husband and I were separated. The kids would save quarters to spend at the arcades all year! Nice memory!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/13 19:45:54
I am sad about everything in NJ. How can these people relive this? Prayers to all on the NJ coast....
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/13 21:01:21
As I watched the story break yesterday...

I was instantly thinking it was very suspicious, i guess it is my nature, and having grown up with fire and ems running through my blood.

The fire hits THE ONLY section of the boardwalk NOT rebuilt after Sandy
The fire hits after Labor Day and during the middle of the week
The fire starts in a very inaccessible location of the boardwalk

It is a horrible loss, and thankfully only minor injuries, Gov Christie will throw his full support behind getting this section rebuilt in time for Memorial Day reopening, and then THE WHOLE BOARDWALK will be shiny new and up to code.
ken8038
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/14 08:59:53
Here's the definitive word on the carousels. Looks like the Looff is the one that survived, as it's out on the pier, not on the stretch of boardwalk that was destroyed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/14/nyregion/after-blaze-a-two-carousel-boardwalk-comes-full-circle.html?ref=todayspaper
agnesrob
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/14 10:02:02
Thanks for the link Ken!
rumaki
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2013/09/16 09:50:20
Thank you, Ken!

ken8038
Re:Breaking News - Maruca's Burned Down 2014/09/02 08:18:10
I'm updating this thread as an update on Maruca's. My wife and I made our annual Daytrip last week to the Seaside Heights boardwalk and Maruca's in particular.

After the fire last fall Maruca's had to relocate for the 2nd time in 2 years (first after Sandy, now after the fire).
They are now located as part of JRs bar, still on the Boardwalk, just a block or so away from before.

It's a slightly different set up. They still have a "slice" window up front, with a few outdoor tables to the side, but if you want a sit-down-inside whole pizza you have to do that in the dining room of the bar, with waitress service. Not a big deal, it really just adds the cost of a tip to the meal. The dining area is pleasant enough and certainly a step up from the cramped and stuffy dining area in the original location. It also means you now can get beer wine or booze with your pizza if you want. The prices seem to be about the same as the past few years, i.e. no increase due to the somewhat better surroundings.

Bottom line, and the main thing, the pizza is just as good as ever, still one of the best in Jersey.

PS: Most businesses on the Boardwalk have reopened, some in new locations, but there still is about a 2 block stretch at the south end where the rubble has been cleared, the boardwalk rebuilt, but still totally vacant. Also, for a nice day during the last week of August, the Boardwalk seemed noticeably less busy, so I don't know they are doing overall.
post edited by ken8038 - 2014/09/02 08:24:43