Hot!Texas franchises coming soon to you ...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4197
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/18 09:07:08 (permalink)
Adjudicator

Whattaburger here forever (since early 80s here in Tally, one with original A frame building still standing.)  Still cooked to order.  Taquitos are a major breakfast item, especially with grilled onions & grilled veggie mix aka from grilled Chicken Tacos.  Those are excellent.  The Patty Melts remain a strong contender, and I have also heard that WB will soon introduce a mushroom & swiss cheeseburger and/or patty melt.  You cannot be wrong with that.  The string fries are superior, as well as their red and green picante sauces and spicy ketchup.  You cannot go wrong with anything ordered @ WB.

Even though we are surrounded by Whattaburgers here in McKinney I can only recall four times we have eaten there in the past eight years.  The last time - several years ago - I got a truly dry burger and never went back. 

After reading your review maybe I should give them another chance; their TV ads are the most "appetizing" of any here in Texas.  And, they are superior to "McWendyKing", or, as Anthony Bourdain recently called them: "the creepy king, the clown, and the crone"; he certainly has a way with words.
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/22 16:28:33 (permalink)
That old tradition of a "deluxe" burger having mayo, lettuce and tomato is kept alive at Atlanta's Varsity, where you have to order a "glorified" burger to get a garden with your patty.

A glorified burger with pimento cheese is just about my favorite junk fast food in the world.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/25 16:42:52 (permalink)
I recently tried the Dickey's that opened in Frederick, ranks right up there with BK, Taco Bell.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/25 18:17:35 (permalink)
chewingthefat

I recently tried the Dickey's that opened in Frederick, ranks right up there with BK, Taco Bell.

But, they do offer more protein per $ spent. 
And, one certainly cannot accuse them of having too much butterfat in their "free" soft serve.

Welcome back!  Even though we haven't met (yet) I missed you.
iceomat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/09 19:17:58 (permalink)
I just read that two of the more "upscale" Texas franchises are coming soon to Oklahoma City. Pappadeaux (based in Houston) and Texas de Brazil (based in Dallas) will both be opening here sometime next year.

Metro, have you had any experience with these two places? Should we be excited?
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/09 21:12:31 (permalink)
Dickey's opened several locations here in SoCal. They are all closed now. 

I want to see what MetroplexJim has to say about Texas de Brazil. From what I have seen it looks really good.
LeeniTyler3
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/10 03:39:12 (permalink)
I like that everything is cooked to order, but for a drive-thru, fast food experience, their prices were much higher than their competition and took a long while to prepare each order.

post edited by LeeniTyler3 - 2014/08/10 03:43:57
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/10 10:26:47 (permalink)
iceomat
I just read that two of the more "upscale" Texas franchises are coming soon to Oklahoma City. Pappadeaux (based in Houston) and Texas de Brazil (based in Dallas) will both be opening here sometime next year.

Yes.
And yes.

The Pappas family out of Houston owns and operates a variety of restaurants, including what most agree are the best steakhouses in Dallas and Houston (and that's 'sayin' sumpim'!). 

Pappadeaux is their upper middle (way above Red Lobster, but a cut below Oceanaire) seafood house.  It is good, damn good in fact.

Texas be Brazil is one of the 'big two' Brasilian Steakhouse chains, a.k.a. churrascaria; the other is Fogo de Chao which came from Brasil and established the U.S. model at the 'high end' rather than the 'lower middle' as most such establishments are in their native Brasil. 

Both are A.Y.C.E. of excellent cuts of a wide variety of grilled meats and spectacular salad bars which include shellfish and deli cuts of meats & cheeses.  For those with big appetites and fat wallets, these are heaven on earth.

Enjoy! 

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/08/10 12:34:09
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2986
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/10 11:01:40 (permalink)
Love them both...we have a Pappadeaux (the only Chicago location) about 1 mile from the house.  It is one of the largest grossing in the companies portfolio.  I use Texas de Brazil for maintenance staff dinners where I always feel my table of big boys beats any other table in the place that night...the cards always come up green! 
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3541
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/10 12:01:48 (permalink)
LeeniTyler3
I like that everything is cooked to order, but for a drive-thru, fast food experience, their prices were much higher than their competition and took a long while to prepare each order.

Steak & Shake had the same problem when they first opened, but waiting an extra couple of minutes at the drive-thru and paying a bit more is well worth what you get. Fresh, prepared to order food of a higher quality is pretty much always better unless you're broke.
iceomat
Cheeseburger
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/10 14:15:48 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
iceomat

Yes.
And yes.
Enjoy!

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely have to try them once they open.

As for other Texas chains, Golden Chick just opened in the town I live in. I didn't even realize they started out in San Marcos (where my brother lives) until I looked it up. I've only eaten there once (had the catfish) and thought it was OK. Really good iced tea, though!

Texadelphia is yet another Texas chain that has a location in OKC. It seems pretty popular, but I've never been as of yet.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/10 14:36:30 (permalink)
And don't forget Chicken Express, started in a Ft. Worth suburb in 1988 - now 160 locations and exploding!
iceomat
Cheeseburger
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/12 17:33:37 (permalink)
Another Texas chain currently under construction in north OKC is Plano-based Zoës Kitchen, a fast-casual concept featuring Mediterranean cuisine. Interestingly, there are already a couple of Colorado-based Garbanzo Mediterranean Grill locations open here. They seem to be very similar in concept, food, and even decor!

I doubt if I'll ever give either a try; too many excellent locally owned places to choose from.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/12 19:42:00 (permalink)
The ONE thing I enjoy MOST about living in Texas is that here entrepreneurship is alive and thriving.

A petty example (in the larger sense of things that matter like Howard R. Hughes, Sr.'s development of the rotary drill bit) of this is Phil Romano's recent venture, a restaurant incubator. 

Trinity Groves is a 90 acre site dedicated to birthing new food concepts, the foodie equivalent to Edison's 'invention factory' in Menlo Park, NJ.

Check out the new places already operating there.  Doubtless, you'll have one or more local to you in the next five years or so.

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/08/12 19:47:00
iceomat
Cheeseburger
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/17 00:58:11 (permalink)
MetroplexJim, have you ever eaten at Whiskey Cake in Plano? I wouldn't call it a "chain" yet since they have only one other location: in OKC. They seem to have started a trend because:

I read on the internet today that a restaurant called Napa Flats Wood-fired Kitchen will be opening a location in Tulsa. They currently only have the original location in College Station.

Interesting menus at both places.
post edited by iceomat - 2014/08/17 12:45:23
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/17 09:42:49 (permalink)
We haven't tried The Whiskey Café and probably won't simply because there are so many interesting choices nearer to us that we have yet to try, e.g., another Texas starter chain, The Black Walnut Café which is only three miles away.

The nearly 7MM of us here in the Metroplex have more restaurant seats per capita than any other metro-area.  Maybe that's because most are so busy working in this "what recession?" economy we don't have time to cook.

Even to the casual observer there is no doubt as to the nature of the goose that lays the golden eggs:  the entrepreneur.  Down here we  our 'millionaires and billionaires' because they, as Adam Smith observed, promote ends which are no part of their (perhaps) selfish intention:  high-paying jobs and a thriving economy that has lifted all boats.  In their dotage they build hospitals, museums, research centers, stadiums, performing arts centers, etc. that are the envy of the world.

And, with no state income tax, we common folk have the extra $$$ to eat out - so there is no end of Phil Romano-types who are willing to risk their resources in new food concepts.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/17 13:43:53 (permalink)
MetroplexJim,
I was going to challenge your restaurant seats per capita claim but then I found this.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Which-City-Really-Does-Have-The-Most-Restaurants-Per-Capita&id=367316
HOWEVER, as a State, Texas ranks 30th!
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/lif_res_percap-lifestyle-resturants-per-capita
BUT we do have you beat on Firearms Death Rate per 100,000.
We're #5 and TX is only 26th!
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/08/17 13:50:50
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2014/08/17 20:41:49 (permalink)
Foodbme
BUT we do have you beat on Firearms Death Rate per 100,000.
We're #5 and TX is only 26th!

Criminals here know that the 'best case' outcome of crimes against a Texas household is an all expense paid extended vacation in Huntsville. 

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1