Hot!Texas franchises coming soon to you ...

Filet Mignon
2013/09/13 17:17:21
Chicken Express - fresh fried chicken, unusual sides, and a sweet tea my neighbor calls "crack tea!  http://www.chickene.com/index.html

Fuzzy's Tacos - real-deal, fresh-made tacos, etc. that are more than somewhat addicting: 
http://www.fuzzystacoshop.com/

Mooyah - a rip-off of Five Guys now in 14 states and opening soon in four Middle East countries.  http://mooyah.com/ 

Dickey's - by Texas standards 'so-so' BBQ, but extremely "family friendly".  They are now in nearly every state.  www.dickeys.com

Whattaburger - used to be 'jus Texas, now now all along the southern tier, Arizona to Florida.  Quality-wise, they are a natural competotor for In-n-Out, a good cut above "McWendyKing".  http://www.whataburger.com/

---------------------------------

Anyone tried any of these? 
What do you think?
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/13 18:03:52
Dickey's just opened in Pewaukee. We brought home brisket and hot links. Both were the best we can get around here.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/13 19:25:53
I like Whataburger when I am in Texas and was excited when they decided to open one up near me in Florida. Unfortunately, they didn't last 18 months. I like that everything is cooked to order, but for a drive-thru, fast food experience, their prices were much higher than their competition and took a long while to prepare each order. In general, that is not a good combination and one which most folks are not willing to put up with (for a new place with no particular reputation). Sad...but, it appears I am the only one in Hooterville that misses Whataburger.

A friend owns a few Chicken Express franchises and she convinced me to try their chicken. It's not bad. Again, probably better than their competition (KFC, Popeye's), but it ain't Stroud's, either.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/14 11:04:17
JRPfeff

Dickey's just opened in Pewaukee. We brought home brisket and hot links. Both were the best we can get around here.

" ... the best we can get around here".  EXACTLY!!! 

That's the "deal" with Dickey's. 

If you're dying of thirst in the desert, tap water from Podunk will do nicely -- and, you won't be bit*hing that it wasn't bottled from some spring in Fiji !

Here is a recent thread about Dickey's:  http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=733834&high=
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/09/14 11:21:24
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/14 11:09:27
The Travelin Man

I like Whataburger when I am in Texas and was excited when they decided to open one up near me in Florida. Unfortunately, they didn't last 18 months. I like that everything is cooked to order, but for a drive-thru, fast food experience, their prices were much higher than their competition and took a long while to prepare each order. In general, that is not a good combination and one which most folks are not willing to put up with (for a new place with no particular reputation). Sad...but, it appears I am the only one in Hooterville that misses Whataburger.

That is so true of their drive-through window.  Hardly anyone uses them in Texas; they know better.  The same can be said for two other "cut above McWendyKing" places:  Culver's and Steak 'n Shake; I think drive-throughs actually hurt their business.  I guess that's why Five Guys doesn't allow them.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/14 11:19:17
The Travelin Man

A friend owns a few Chicken Express franchises and she convinced me to try their chicken. It's not bad. Again, probably better than their competition (KFC, Popeye's), but it ain't Stroud's, either.

Being noticeably a bit better than KFC/Popeye's is exactly where they are aiming. 

They are certainly not Stroud's, Scotch House, Breezy Heights, Loveless Cafe, or Babe's Chicken Dinner House.  Outback ain't Peter Luger's either, but I've enjoyed very satisfying meals at both.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/09/14 18:08:49
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/14 12:58:01
Ernesto's Fine Mexican Food just opened nearby.  Four locations in TX, one in MD.  Anybody know Ernesto's?
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/14 13:06:24
MetroplexJim

The Travelin Man

That is so true of their drive-through window.  Hardly anyone uses them in Texas; they know better.  The same can be said for two other "cut above McWendyKing" places:  Culver's and Steak 'n Shake; I think drive-throughs actually hurt their business.  I guess that's why Five Guys doesn't allow them.

Maybe it's just when I go, but I don't believe I've ever waited more than a couple of minutes longer than anyone else's drive-thru at Steak & Shake, the food is fresh and hot, my order is correct, and they cost ~$1.50 more than the others with better food. Totally worth an extra couple of minutes for me. I've never been to Culver's drive-thru, so I can't say.

I keep hoping Whataburger will come here, but it doesn't look like any time soon. We did just get a Five Guys, though (albeit on the other side of town where I never go), and I just found out there's a second one nearish to my niece's house where I spend a great deal of time, so it could happen soon.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/14 15:11:27
We really like the Chicken Express chicken in Allen, TX.

Whataburger is always a stop when traveling.

I don't know if Whataburger would make it in California but it looks like they do.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/14 18:02:54
Treetop Tom

Ernesto's Fine Mexican Food just opened nearby.  Four locations in TX, one in MD.  Anybody know Ernesto's?

Yes, indeed.   

"HQ" and stores are in the northern suburbs of Dallas, including one here in McKinney.  http://www.ernestosfinemexicanfood.com/index.html .

Food wise, I'd say a cut above On the Border (of which you have many in Washington-Baltimore, yet another chain originating from Dallas) and a cut below another local chain we favor, Cristina'shttp://www.cristinasmex.com/ . 

Truth is, there are so many really decent chain and independent Mexican and Tex/Mex places down here I get a little dizzy even trying to think about it.  Aside from Chili's (which has morphed into American fast casual) and On the Border, the only other Dallas-based Tex/Mex establishment that has expanded to Baltimore-washington is the Rio Grande Cafe, which trades as Uncle Julio's here in Dallas.

----------------------

Frankly, I wish Dallas would import the following: (in alphabetical order)

• A G&M Seafood Restaurant & Lounge for crabcakes
  • A New Jersey/Long Island-style diner - a huge menu with no CFS on it!
  • A Wilber's or The Skylight for Eastern Carolina 'Cue - minced whole hog 

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/14 18:29:34
Here's a Dallas-based local chain that would be a huge hit anywhere:  www.babeschicken.com .

Babe's has been all over both the Food and Travel Channels, including several mentions on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" series.  Given the owners' ages I doubt they will go beyond the 7 million of us here.  For the sake of the rest of you I hope they have greedy and ambitious kids!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/14 19:27:33
MetroplexJim,

Please tell me it's not like Grandy's.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/15 08:50:24
mar52

MetroplexJim,

OMG, no.

You go in, sit down, and pick your meat:  fried chicken, smoked chicken, ribs (at Garland), pot roast, catfish, etc. and you are served enough both to satisfy there, then take home.  The truly tasty sides are served family style, AYCE:  mashed potatos & gravy, salad, creamed corn, green beans, etc.  Wonderful rolls, Plugra Butter, Soughrun Molasses, and honey are on every table.  If you have room, desserts are fantastic.  The whole deal goes for about $12/plate including (soft) drinks + dessert if you have room.

Southern Living called Babe's fried chicken "The Best in the South".  And, above, I mentioned that the place has been featured many times on the "Foodie channels".

So, no; it's not anything like Grandy's!

Edit:  FYI: here's the menu from their Garland store: http://www.babeschicken.com/our-kitchens/garland/ .  I like going there for the ribs; their 'serving' literally falls off both sides of a large plate and the ribs are every bit as good as you can get at places that specialize in BBQ.   
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/09/15 08:56:02
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/15 09:18:34
mar52

MetroplexJim,

Next time you are visiting McKinney, go to the Babe's in Frisco.  It's right next door to this:
http://www.museumoftheamericanrailroad.org/Frisco.aspx 
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/15 13:57:34
Thanks, putting it on my list!
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/15 16:39:27
Georgia is already familiar with four of those five, plus one that was mentioned above.  In Athens, there's at least one Dickey's (in the second and final location of Allen's Hamburgers [see "Deadbeat Club" by the B-52's]) and one in nearby Watkinsville, and a Fuzzy's Taco Shop downtown.  There are Chicken Expresses in three towns forming a triangle around Athens: Watkinsville, Lexington, and Danielsville, at least two of which are in former Hardee's.  (When Carl's Jr bought them, a huge number of small-town Hardee's were shut.)

Further south, Whataburger had two stores in Brunswick that closed in 2011.  There's one Georgia Whataburger left in Thomasville.  And Brunswick is the home of the only Grandy's in Georgia.  They provided all the food for the staff and service crews at that G-8 Summit down here in 2004-05ish.
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/15 22:35:18
I'm at a motel in Bloomington IN. I just walked across the street to get a drink. There were three restaurants.
Texas Roadhouse - founded in Clarksville Indiana
Chedders - founded and headquartered in Dallas burbs
Pizza Hut - Headquartered in a Dallas burb
ces1948
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/16 00:20:27
I'm almost positive that I remember a few whataburger places around central Florida (Lakeland area) in the late 60's, early 70's. Wonder if it was the same chain?
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/16 10:23:05
plb

I'm at a motel in Bloomington IN. I just walked across the street to get a drink. There were three restaurants.
Texas Roadhouse - founded in Clarksville Indiana
Chedders - founded and headquartered in Dallas burbs
Pizza Hut - Headquartered in a Dallas burb

Don't forget all of Phil Romano's various creations, including The Macaroni Grill. 

And, as we are speaking of Texas, Dallas is not the only big city down here.  Houston is home to the Landry Group; I'm sure most RF'ers have never heard of them, but surely know their brands & stores:  http://www.landrysinc.com/concepts/default.asp .
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/16 11:33:21
MetroplexJim

Whattaburger - used to be 'jus Texas, now now all along the southern tier, Arizona to Florida.  Quality-wise, they are a natural competotor for In-n-Out, a good cut above "McWendyKing". 

---------------------------------

Anyone tried any of these? 
What do you think?

There is a "Whattaburger" in my hometown of Newport News, VA. that has been in business since the 60's, maybe longer. Don't know if there is any connection to the Texas chain. A pretty good burger and a good alternative to the regular fast-food places.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/16 12:47:19
Davebassman,

Hmmmm
From Google it is still there in Newport News. 
From the Whattaburger site, there are no Virginia stores.
This explains the situation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What-A-Burger 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/16 13:17:41
I first encountered Whataburger on my first day in Amarillo (in Texas, actually) in 1952. I went up to the window and ordered a burger, and was startled to discover that it had lettuce, tomato and pickles on it. I told the guy at the window I didn't want any of that stuff on my hamburger and was told that was the only way they made them. I'd never heard of anyone putting lettuce and tomato on a burger unless it was asked for, and paid extra for. I never heard of pickles actually on a hamburger under any circumstance.
WarToad
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/16 13:32:00
So... you were expecting a plain meat patty between two slices of white bread?  Au natural?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/16 13:51:20
WarToad

So... you were expecting a plain meat patty between two slices of white bread?  Au natural?

I was expecting a hamburger on toast or a hamburger bun. That's what you got when you ordered a hamburger where I grew up, in the city where the hamburger was invented. A "Deluxe" burger came with lettuce and tomato, and you paid extra for it.
WarToad
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/16 13:58:37
Live and learn.  I didn't think they were served that way since the 1920s except for perhaps Louis' Lunch. Guess I was wrong.

Imagine your 1952 self getting a modern "gormet" burger.  You would have flipped.
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/16 14:09:28
JRPfeff

Dickey's lasted only a few months in a nearby MA location.  Even in a location known for really bad BBQ, they could not make out.  Tried it twice, thinking maybe it was just an off day the first time.  Rather go without.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/16 14:10:15
WarToad

Live and learn.  I didn't think they were served that way since the 1920s except for perhaps Louis' Lunch. Guess I was wrong.

Imagine your 1952 self getting a modern "gormet" burger.  You would have flipped.

I flipped then. By the way, I still get my burgers without that stuff.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/17 00:59:15
WarToad

I was just having this conversation the other night, when describing the legendary Peter Luger burger, which is essentially served bun-meat-bun.

Growing up, a burger ordered in a Long Island diner was served the same way. If one wanted lettuce and tomato, it was, as Michael Hoffman stated, listed as a "deluxe" with an upcharge. I think I also remember seeing this listed somewhere as the "California" burger. My recollection is certainly shorter than the 1950s, but I do remember seeing such as long ago as the late 1980s.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/17 10:58:48
WarToad

As I recall my 1956 self (8 y.o.) one usually got a burger at a lunch counter.  Drug stores, 5 & 10's, and the pre-interstate "truck stops" had them.  The patties were usually thin and cooked nearly crisp.  My favorite topping was sweet pickle relish (only).  This was one very tasty sandwich that a local place here in McKinney re-creates quite well:  http://burgerdoctor.com/bakers-drive-in-mckinney-tx.html . 

Back then - except for an LTM "deluxe burger" - today's 'gourmet' toppings were not even a thought.  In fact, if you got a burger that even had pink juice in it, you sent it back and asked for a new bun.  If the juices were red, you ran out of the place and called the health department! 

Adjudicator
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/17 20:23:11
Whattaburger here forever (since early 80s here in Tally, one with original A frame building still standing.)  Still cooked to order.  Taquitos are a major breakfast item, especially with grilled onions & grilled veggie mix aka from grilled Chicken Tacos.  Those are excellent.  The Patty Melts remain a strong contender, and I have also heard that WB will soon introduce a mushroom & swiss cheeseburger and/or patty melt.  You cannot be wrong with that.  The string fries are superior, as well as their red and green picante sauces and spicy ketchup.  You cannot go wrong with anything ordered @ WB.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/18 09:07:08
Adjudicator

Whattaburger here forever (since early 80s here in Tally, one with original A frame building still standing.)  Still cooked to order.  Taquitos are a major breakfast item, especially with grilled onions & grilled veggie mix aka from grilled Chicken Tacos.  Those are excellent.  The Patty Melts remain a strong contender, and I have also heard that WB will soon introduce a mushroom & swiss cheeseburger and/or patty melt.  You cannot be wrong with that.  The string fries are superior, as well as their red and green picante sauces and spicy ketchup.  You cannot go wrong with anything ordered @ WB.

Even though we are surrounded by Whattaburgers here in McKinney I can only recall four times we have eaten there in the past eight years.  The last time - several years ago - I got a truly dry burger and never went back. 

After reading your review maybe I should give them another chance; their TV ads are the most "appetizing" of any here in Texas.  And, they are superior to "McWendyKing", or, as Anthony Bourdain recently called them: "the creepy king, the clown, and the crone"; he certainly has a way with words.
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/22 16:28:33
That old tradition of a "deluxe" burger having mayo, lettuce and tomato is kept alive at Atlanta's Varsity, where you have to order a "glorified" burger to get a garden with your patty.

A glorified burger with pimento cheese is just about my favorite junk fast food in the world.
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/25 16:42:52
I recently tried the Dickey's that opened in Frederick, ranks right up there with BK, Taco Bell.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2013/09/25 18:17:35
chewingthefat

I recently tried the Dickey's that opened in Frederick, ranks right up there with BK, Taco Bell.

But, they do offer more protein per $ spent. 
And, one certainly cannot accuse them of having too much butterfat in their "free" soft serve.

Welcome back!  Even though we haven't met (yet) I missed you.