OK. what happened to bones?

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1210
  • Reward points : 0
OK. what happened to bones? - Sun, 09/15/13 9:40 PM
OK, chicken on the bone is still served with fried chicken (usually), "barbecued" chicken (but less than you would think), and half roasted chicken (although I do prefer the chicken roasted all the way). But, for the most part, chicken main dishes you see these days are made with boneless chicken breasts, or, even worse, "chopped and formed" chicken. Now, I don't have any problem with boneless chicken breasts, and I've been known to eat a Mcnugget(tm) or two, but I do miss when restaurants used to serve dishes where the chicken pieces are browned with the skin on, then simmered in a rich gravy.

When did people become so lazy that they can't eat real chicken merengo, cacciatore, or coq au vin, but have to eat steamed boneless chicken breast with some sauce or gravy poured over it?

Bart

will_work_4_bbq
  • Total Posts : 401
Re:OK. what happened to bones? - Sun, 09/15/13 9:45 PM
Amen!

Glenn1234
  • Total Posts : 510
Re:OK. what happened to bones? - Sun, 09/15/13 10:35 PM

I'm not saying I agree with it, but here are a couple reasons that people have gravitated toward boneless, skinless chicken breasts:

1.  Health.  White means has less fat and fewer calories than dark.  Skin has more fat and calories than skinless meat. 
2   Convenience.  Easy to prepare.  Easy to eat. 

Now pass me some fried chicken with skin out it!

Glenn

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9583
Re:OK. what happened to bones? - Mon, 09/16/13 2:13 AM
Don't laugh, but I bet Tyson is working on breeding chickens with no bones!

myterry2
  • Total Posts : 526
Re:OK. what happened to bones? - Mon, 09/16/13 7:19 AM
Boneless chicken breasts are good for certain receipes, otherwise, show me the bones.

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1792
Re:OK. what happened to bones? - Mon, 09/16/13 7:53 AM
I've always been a thigh guy!  I rarely use chicken breast.  Bland, bland, bland.  A good blank slate to build flavor on, but in and of itself, you get better chicken flavor with other cuts.

What I especially hate is "boneless wings".  Which are not deboned wings, but breast meat brined in a chemical mix to make them taste like dark meat and then battered and fried.  Ick.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:OK. what happened to bones? - Mon, 09/16/13 4:32 PM
McDs has all those bones that KFC got rid of.

I just had a tasting of McDs "Tasty Wings"  just two words to offer anyone considering them... "NO THANKS"

I love fried chicken on the bone, and I love a good moist bbqd boneless breastesess

I love my moms oven roasted chicken, mixed with cr of mushroom soup and stuffing mix and then baked.  I miss her cooking

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3595
Re:OK. what happened to bones? - Mon, 09/16/13 6:04 PM
WarToad

What I especially hate is "boneless wings".  Which are not deboned wings, but breast meat brined in a chemical mix to make them taste like dark meat and then battered and fried.  Ick.

Right! Boneless wings are not wings.

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:OK. what happened to bones? - Mon, 09/16/13 7:39 PM