Helpful ReplyWhat to expect as much as where should I eat?

Author
GaDragonfly1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
2013/09/17 10:11:49 (permalink)

What to expect as much as where should I eat?

We're headed to South Dakota tomorrow.  We'll be flying into Rapid City then staying in Deadwood.  On Saturday we're judging a bbq in Spearfish, SD.  We'll be leaving on Monday.  Up until this morning I assumed we'd be eating beef, beef, and maybe bison.  But then I remembered that we're near some really large rivers and maybe we'll be able to find fresh trout or other fish. 
I've done a search for Spearfish and and read threads but wonder if anyone can recommend places to eat.  Obviously, we'll be doing the tourist thing so we're open to any suggestions within a reasonable driving distance - reasonable being 2 hours out if its good enough   I'm going to try to get enough posts between now and the time we return so that I can post pictures again.  Today I realized I hadn't posted pictures since 1998 when we went to Homosassa Springs so when I tried to post pictures of our Lake Havasu trip they didn't show up.  I'll do better, I promise.
Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Gadragonfly
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10358
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/19 00:00:07 (permalink)
The Dakota's are on my Bucket List so I'm anxious to here what the gang comes up with too!
GaDragonfly1
Junior Burger
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/19 03:00:54 (permalink)
Well it appears I'm not going to get suggestions so i'll have to share with you what I find. Hopefully I'll make some smart decisions.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10496
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/19 05:03:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
We liked Cedar House Restaurant in Spearfish and Colonial House Restaurant in Rapid City. 
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 559
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/19 05:39:37 (permalink)
We just returned Saturday from several days in South Dakota, but I don't have much that you may be looking for.  We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Rap City for two nights, and just ate their breakfast there, as didn't know where else to go, and were surrounded by Denny's and Burger Kings and other chains anyway.  We wanted to get out and see the sights.

If you go to Custer, and you should if you are doing Mount Rushmore, we did hit two winners, both easy to find in the small downtown.  

One is Burger & Bun, a tiny place, still very busy at 230 in the afternoon.  My wife had their standard burger with lettuce, tomato and onion, and everything was fresh and good, very attractive.  The burgers are a third pound.   I had their buffalo chili, which was also excellent, not overly spicy, and not too many beans.  The meat was flavorful,  and seemed to be very good quality. It was ground meat, not cubes.  Our waitress was terrific.  Everybody is right there, it's just one little room.

The other place was even better, we went for dessert -- The Purple Pie Place, recommended to us by friends who go to Sturgis every year. This was a real winner!  We had blueberry pie, and the inside was loaded with real blueberries, not a blueberry gel.  We loved it.   

You can find it easy, it looks like its name -- a two story building painted purple.

If you like German food, our Sturgis friends recommend the Bavarian Inn in Custer.  We didn't have a chance to try it, but reviews look good.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bavarian-inn-restaurant-custer

http://blackhillsburgerandbun.com/

And, naturally, being out there, buffalo burgers are everywhere!

Other stops were not in that area, Brookings, Mitchell, Wall.  We made the obligatory stop at Wall Drug, and yes, it's an overpriced tourist trap, but ya just gotta do it.  And this day one of their specials was a Midwestern style sloppy joe, which we could smell right away on walking in, and we both had to have it.  They were really very good.  

Sorry we didn't eat more, but sadly, our appetites are getting smaller as we get older.

And, darn, I've got to learn to pay attention.  I really wanted to try some chislic while in South Dakota, only to learn while in Rapid City that you can only find it in the southeast corner of the state.   I could have got some on the way out, but going back was 640 miles, and we wanted to make time.  Oh well....

Sorry I couldn't do more for you.

easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/19 05:41:08 (permalink)
I see BB is on this thread.  Wish I had taken a picture of the pie -- I did think of you while eating it!

Pie goggles!

GaDragonfly1
Junior Burger
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/19 12:17:13 (permalink)
Breakfast at Peggy's Place in Keystone was good but nothing to write home about. Found a real Roadfood diner on the here though. It wasn't open for breakfast but we will stop on the way back.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/19 12:34:36 (permalink)
easydoesit-
Thanks for thinking of me!  We also stopped at Purple Pie Place in Custer and it was every bit as good as you said. 
GaDragonfly1
Junior Burger
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/20 00:16:34 (permalink)
Thanks for your recommendations Easydoesit. I'm not sure we would have found Burgers and Buns without your recommendation and we would have missed a very good hamburger. We also enjoyed pie at The Purple Pie Place. I took pictures and will share them in a trip report later.
rneiner
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 91
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/20 07:53:11 (permalink)
How about the Bumpin Buffalo in Hill City 
GaDragonfly1
Junior Burger
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/20 18:04:19 (permalink)
As good as Burgers and Buns was, today we had an outstanding buger, fries and chocolate. Milk shake at Boondocks just outside Deadwood.
GaDragonfly1
Junior Burger
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/23 00:02:33 (permalink)
You folks always make me the heroine of our vacations! We judged BBQ on Saturday and we rarely eat dinner on days when we judge a contest but the contest reps who don't eat much at a contest suggested we all go to "a great restaurant with homemade desserts that are to die for". All I'll say at this time is don't waste your time at the Alpine Inn in Hill City. When we left my husband told me "if your Roadfood friends haven't suggested it we're not eating there.
GaDragonfly1
Junior Burger
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/23 00:07:48 (permalink)
This will be my final post until we get home and I can uae my computer to post rather than my phone. I just wanted to say that our last day in South Dakota found us back in Hill City. I told my husband I had one final recommendation and it was in Hill City. We found the Bumpkin Buffalo and once again we were pleased with our food. Roadfood members were completley right once again. Thank you all.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/23 12:17:46 (permalink)
GaDragon,
Our Sturgis friends also recommended the Bumpin Buffalo, glad you got a chance to try it and that you found it good.

But I like your name, Bumpkin Buffalo, much better!  Sounds like a character in a Disney cartoon.

GaDragonfly1
Junior Burger
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/23 23:18:58 (permalink)
lol! That's what I get for posting from my phone.  If I'd been on my computer I would have double checked the name before I hit send. I have to say though, the buffalo with the caps on their heads looked like they should be bumpkins :) Thanks for all of your recommendations.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:What to expect as much as where should I eat? 2013/09/24 08:28:11 (permalink)
GaDragonfly1

You folks always make me the heroine of our vacations! 
Love hearing this!  We are very much looking forward to your trip report.

Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1