Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2230
  • Reward points : 0
Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 09/24/13 5:11 PM
We processed some of our Roosters, I thought a pot of Chicken noodle soup with a grilled cheese sandwich would be a nice touch on a cool day. The carrots are also ready for the picking........

I know most people use slices of processed cheese for their grilled cheese sands. You can also use a good cheddar cheese by shredding it and grilling it like this.

Pancho
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 09/24/13 5:15 PM
Looks fantastic! That old rooster has some long legs. Do you find them tougher than a "store bought" or a hen? I bought an organic capon at the Farmer's Market and that thing was TOUGH.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7595
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 09/24/13 5:47 PM
That's some nice, rich looking chicken soup. 

Can't say much for the bird.

No matzoh balls?

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 09/24/13 5:57 PM
mar52

No matzoh balls?

Mar,

That's why you remind me more of a Jewish Nana from brooklyn than a Southern-Cal girl- and I mean that in a good way  

pnwchef
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 09/24/13 6:05 PM
Pancho

Looks fantastic! That old rooster has some long legs. Do you find them tougher than a "store bought" or a hen? I bought an organic capon at the Farmer's Market and that thing was TOUGH.

The older Roosters are tough, these are young between 18 and 21 weeks old. We did one 18 week Rooster on the rotisserie a few weeks ago, it was tender and juicy. All the Chickens are out on free range, they use their legs a lot, that will make these a bit tougher. The thing I like about these young Roosters is, they are full of flavor. I was feeding them corn from our field, needless to say they eat well. If I was doing anything over 22 week old Roosters or Hens I would be stewing them...............Take care, ..................Bill

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 09/24/13 6:15 PM
You murdered a poor boy chicken? Violence is not a good thing. Have you considered getting help?

tcrouzer
  • Total Posts : 430
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 09/24/13 6:17 PM
Good looking soup and grilled cheese! I'm going to fix my next sandwich like yours - it looks pretty near perfect to me. Of course, I'll be using homemade bread. ;o)

pnwchef
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 09/24/13 6:27 PM
Michael Hoffman

You murdered a poor boy chicken? Violence is not a good thing. Have you considered getting help?

Michael, this is the West, you need to get them before they get you. OK, I know we're talking about a 3lb chicken,but, they can get up to 6lbs........besides, Lisa told me it was ok..........

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 09/24/13 6:30 PM
Well, if she said it was OK ...

pnwchef
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 09/24/13 6:31 PM
mar52

No matzoh balls?

Mar, the last time I had Matzoh ball soup was at a Jewish Deli in Orlando, Fl, called Ronnie's. The food was great, and I had soup with every meal. The problem now is, I order a 15lb Pastrami sandwich, no room for soup................

mar52
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 09/24/13 8:16 PM

Mar,

That's why you remind me more of a Jewish Nana from brooklyn than a Southern-Cal girl- and I mean that in a good way

Dale, I guess that's a good thing but Oy, I feel so old!  (Said with a Brooklyn accent)

iluvcfood
  • Total Posts : 395
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 09/24/13 11:46 PM
pnwchef

We processed some of our Roosters, I thought a pot of Chicken noodle soup with a grilled cheese sandwich would be a nice touch on a cool day. The carrots are also ready for the picking........

I know most people use slices of processed cheese for their grilled cheese sands. You can also use a good cheddar cheese by shredding it and grilling it like this.

A Good grilled cheese sandwich requires using butter on BOTH the inside and outside of the sandwich!!

myterry2
  • Total Posts : 526
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Wed, 09/25/13 6:14 AM
Looks great......never thought of using shredded cheese, good idea.

TnTinCT
  • Total Posts : 442
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Wed, 09/25/13 7:37 AM
That looks fabulous!! I just made stock a few weeks ago and am planning a nice minestrone this week. Nothing like homemade soup....and now am planning on grilled cheese to go with it!!

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Wed, 09/25/13 9:05 AM
Very nice, Bill!!!!!!

pnwchef
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Wed, 09/25/13 11:53 AM
Thx Ann
tcrouzer, TnTinCT, myterry2, This is the way we did it on the grill in the Restaurant. It gave me a chance to use a better quality tasting cheese. I figure processed cheese has a place, I would rather have better taste over an easier method. Just use any cheese that will melt, make sure it's shredded, you will see the difference in quality........The only tip I would give is, because your doing this in a large skillet, the bread will brown in the center of the pan faster than at the edges. Half way through grilling the sandwich, turn the bread 180 degrees so the inside (center pan) side is now on the outside edge. This will make the sandwich brown more evenly...............once you do this method, you will never go back to processed cheese slices. The reason why most people never use a better cheese is, it didn't easily, didn't melt because most of the time the cheese was sliced to thick. By shredding the cheese will make it much easier to use a better cheese for all your needs. YES, even on your Cheeseburgers. Try combining Jack and Cheddar, or Mozzarella and Cheddar, works and melts great..............pnwc
<message edited by pnwchef on Wed, 09/25/13 12:34 PM>

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6219
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Wed, 09/25/13 12:27 PM
Looks great, Bill!  Aren't you glad I gave you my permission?

pnwchef
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Wed, 09/25/13 12:33 PM
lleechef

Looks great, Bill!  Aren't you glad I gave you my permission?

I used your name, the check is in the mail................

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Wed, 09/25/13 12:42 PM
It looks pretty straightforward (and delicious) but are there any tips you have for making the soup?

Thanks for sharing!

pnwchef
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Thu, 09/26/13 12:02 PM
hatteras04

It looks pretty straightforward (and delicious) but are there any tips you have for making the soup?

Thanks for sharing!

I always make a stock first, then a soup. Use 25% Celery, 25% carrots, 50% onions, this is called a mirepoix. I use this to make my stock, I use fresh vegetables to make my soup. I season with S&P, bay leaf and fresh thyme if I have it, dry if I don't. I also put in parsley, I don't use garlic.
I make my stock with a good fresh chicken, in my case a fresh killed chicken. put everything in a large pot, bring to a slow boil, then to a simmer. All you want to see is movement in the water, nothing more. Cook for about 3 hrs, skim the top as needed, this will help give you a nice clear broth.  take out you chicken when it almost falling apart, take off the meat and save for when you make your soup. strain the soup, watch for sediment at the bottom. Now you have a stock, this could be used in soups and sauces. Now your ready to make your soup, use the same ratio of vegetables, simmer until everything is tender. I put my noodles right in the soup to cook, this may be the lazy way, but, I do it anyway. At this point my wife is yelling at me saying " you didn't say it was going to take all day to make lunch" then when she eats the soup, she says, it was worth the wait..................Good luck...................pnwc.................p.s. years ago, they use to serve cold egg noodles on the table, to put into a hot broth. This process cooled the soup so it could be eaten. The louder someone slurped their soup was a compliment to the cook.
<message edited by pnwchef on Thu, 09/26/13 12:54 PM>

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4463
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Thu, 09/26/13 12:18 PM
I guess it's true, "it takes a tough man to make a tender chicken".

Looks great Chef!

mar52
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Thu, 09/26/13 12:23 PM
I love Joyce!

marteenhook
  • Total Posts : 35
Re:Homemade Chicken Soup and Tillamook Grilled Cheese Sands - Tue, 10/15/13 2:31 AM
Looking just superb. You also used grilled cheese which is my favorite. This recipe looks very yummy and healthy too.