Mendocino County, CA

Author
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
2013/09/30 21:35:28 (permalink)

Mendocino County, CA

UKIAH area...Be Pop's Diner...in the round building at South State St and Washington st...milkshakes made from hardpack ice cream...I often have their CFS...

The Forks Café...North State St just north of the intersection with Lake Mendocino Dr...I think I found my hashbrown heaven...they cook them on a flat top spread out very thin, cooked on both sides, and then the thin layers are piled on top of each other to create the perfect hashbrown crunch....I've had better CFS elsewhere, but their hashbrowns are superb...

Hwy 101 Bar & Grill, 9621 N State St, Redwood Valley, CA 95470 (Redwood Valley is just north of Ukiah)...this is a new eating place, that replaced a crappy eating place...(707)485-5307... They took over the spot that was a crappy Redwood Café...the lady wanted to retire, and the new folks bought it roughly 1 year ago...the best thing we could say about the old café was that it didn't make us sick...

The new food joint is a far cry from the old café, I like the food & the service...they serve breakfast, lunch, & dinner. I was there yesterday and had their Tri-Tip Dip...which was excellent: the meat portion was generous, the roll was good, and a generous portion of Au Jus. I asked the fries cooked crispy, and that's exactly how I got their fresh cut fries...the portion was so large it easily could feed 2 people.

They also offer typical breakfasts, and lunches that include sandwiches, burgers, western chicken breast, 101 Cheese Steak, and a grilled meatloaf sandwich...dinner selections include Pulled Pork, Meatloaf, CFS, Dinner Steak (whatever that is), Noo Yawk Strip Steak, Rib Eye Steak, and Gnocci...

Broiler Steakhouse, Uva Drive, also in Redwood Valley on the west side of Hwy 101 is a favorite, and we sometimes go there with a coupon from the local shoppers paper. Steaks grilled over a live flame (not coals)...been eating there for at least 40 years...a very nondescript brown brick building on the outside that you could easily drive past without knowing it...this is where many of the local ranchers go to eat...

Ft Bragg...on the coast..."The Q" is a bbq joint on the south end of the Noyo River Bridge. I've had their brisket & their pulled pork in recent weeks. I was driving by one day and noticed 3 foot "BBQ" letters in the windows, and I'm glad I stopped in...

Willits...I'm still a big fan of Taqueria Bravo, on hwy 101 downtown...Campesino's eat there, Anglo's eat there, Indians eat there...I eat there so often the crew knows what I'm going to order as soon as I walk in the door...

Lumberjacks Restaurant in Willits has finally gotten it's act together for the Hashbrowns...after complaining to the owners, I was sent in as a "mystery diner" a few times...they were cooking the hashbrowns on 1 side only, which is cheating. The time before last, the hashbrowns were again cooked on one side only, although that is contrary to the owners wishes. I talked with the manager on duty, showed him the hashbrowns were cooked on one side only, and he went back to the kitchen and cooked the hashbrowns the way he said he's want them for himself. The last time I went there 10 days ago the hashbrowns were cooked perfectly...I hope they maintain their consistency. Lumberjack's is a small chain in NorCal with 5 or 6 stores.

Leggett...The Peg House...On Hwy 101 just north of the junction with CA Hwy 1...store, deli, curios, and a grill. They feature Humboldt Grass Fed Beef for their outstanding burgers, and if you want a jumbo hotdog plain with nothing on it, ask for a "Lady Godiva"...
post edited by BackRhodes - 2013/09/30 21:50:58

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1