Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota

Author
GaDragonfly1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
2013/10/03 21:36:52 (permalink)

Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota

We really enjoyed the time we spent in south Dakota two weeks ago and thanks to several of you we ate really well.  We flew into Rapid City late on Wednesday night and drove to Deadwood.  Thursday morning we woke up early and headed out to visit Mount Rushmore.  Our first stop was in Keystone for breakfast at Peggy's Place, which provided us with a very nondescript breakfast.

My husband had scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausage and toast.  I had eggs over medium, hash browns, bacon with a biscuit and an order of french toast.  The hash browns looked and tasted like frozen potatoes as did the biscuit.  The french toast was good but not spectacular.

Fortunately, it gets so much better than this! So much better that the rest of my trip deserves its own post. Next stop - Mount Rushmore, Custer Park, Burgers and Buns and the Purple Pie Place.

17 Replies Related Threads

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6326
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/03 21:52:56 (permalink)
    I was just through the Blackhills yesterday. It was closed up good. No campgrounds were open be they Federal, state or private. Bummer! Now they are expecting 21 inches of snow tonight.

We did stop at the Firehouse Brewing Co. in downtown Rapid City for a pint and dinner.
    GaDragonfly1
    Junior Burger
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/03 22:23:59 (permalink)

We left Keystone and our first stop was Mount Rushmore.  I had never been to South Dakota before so of course we had to make a visit to one of our nation's most well known landmarks.  After Mount Rushmore we went through Custer Park to visit bison, antelope, burro and prairie dogs.  If anyone would like I'll be happy to post pictures but I imagine you'd rather I spend my time posting pictures of food .  After Custer Park it was beginning to near 12:00 and we're thinking about lunch.  Since I wanted to see the Crazy Horse monument and Burger and Bun was recommended we headed to Custer City.  We weren't quite hungry enough to stop when we got there so we went on to the Crazy Horse monument and when we returned Burger and Bun was closed!  The sign said they'd open again at 5 pm so we found a local grocery store and stocked up on drinks and a few snacks to take back to the hotel, we found the Purple Pie Place and then stopped into a tourist type store to waste some time.  At about 4:55 we went back to Burger and Bun and were lucky enough to be the first ones through the door when they opened.  I say lucky because within 10 minutes of opening the restaurant was full (this is a small restaurant anyway and sits only about 20 people).  There were people lined up waiting for an open table.  Since we knew we were going to the Purple Pie Place we decided to skip appetizers. We decided to go with the buffalo burgers and my husband ordered a burger with bacon, cheese and fried egg with fries and a Boulevard beer.  I ordered a simple hamburger with bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle with fries and a local IPA.  When the food arrived we found out why everyone was willing to wait in line to eat at this restaurant.

After dinner we went to the Purple Pie Place

Where I had blackberry pie ala mode.  The crust was flaky and very tender and tasty.  The blackberries were not sweetened with sugar so they had a tartness that married well with the sweet flavor of the vanilla ice cream.  The berries were natural without a lot of juice so the filling of the pie held up well on the fork.

My husband had a peanut butter pie which he said was very good.  I don't care for peanut butter but I did take a bite.  It was creamy and peanut buttery - everything you'd want in a peanut butter pie.

After all of this we went back to Mount Rushmore for the evening lighting of the monument and accompanying program.  Afterward we made our way back to Deadwood. 

Tomorrow I'll tell you about Boondocks and a delicious hamburger and french fries.

GaDragonfly1
    Junior Burger
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/03 22:49:31 (permalink)
    Davydd

I was just through the Blackhills yesterday. It was closed up good. No campgrounds were open be they Federal, state or private. Bummer! Now they are expecting 21 inches of snow tonight.

We did stop at the Firehouse Brewing Co. in downtown Rapid City for a pint and dinner.

We were talking about that tonight. We were lucky to have gone when we did, we missed the shut down and the snow!
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 04:22:50 (permalink)
    Loved those pie pictures....looked yummmmmmmmmy
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 08:44:13 (permalink)
    Those look like a couple of nice burgers!  So Burger & Bun has split hours for lunch and dinner?

GaDragonfly1

After Mount Rushmore we went through Custer Park to visit bison, antelope, burro and prairie dogs.
    Y'know, with some RFers the word "visit" would've been a euphemism for "eat"...
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6648
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 11:01:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for such a nice trip report!  Looking forward to more.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18272
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 11:31:55 (permalink)
    I'm not a big pie fan, but I'd love to visit that Purple Pie Place. Nice report. Keep it coming.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6326
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 12:10:58 (permalink)
    GaDragonfly1

Davydd

We were talking about that tonight. We were lucky to have gone when we did, we missed the shut down and the snow!

We drove straight through from Rapid City to the Twin Cities yesterday since there was nothing but rain and no incentive to linger. The Blackhills are getting socked with snow right now. Fortunately for us, we travel in our RV west just about every year and the Blackhills are a stopping off and starting place in our travels so we have covered it extensively in the past.
    easydoesit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 495
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 13:13:29 (permalink)
    Nice job, Dragonlady, it was nice to see the places again.  Really want to hear about the Boondocks.

We had a very fine drive through Custer Park, saw all the animals that are not afraid of traffic, but unfortunately for us it was a really foggy day.  The literature said the drive would offer several great views of Rushmore, but we couldn't even see to the tops of the hills.  But all the smoke and mist did give the place kind of a cool ambiance.

The next day we got up and headed east -- into the sun on a totally cloudless day.  "Where was this yesterday?" we whined...

Great report, thanks for doing.

easydoesit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 495
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 13:21:40 (permalink)
    Davydd --

We drove right through from Rapid City to La Crosse too, 640 miles, but an easy shot on the interstate.

Your comment about using the Black Hills area as a jumping off point strikes a chord.  Whenever we plan a trip of any distance, we always figure the first and last days are give-aways, we have to spend them in order to get to the edge of someplace interesting.

Want to go east to Virginia, or south to Louisiana, whatever, that first day has to be a long one on the freeeway, and same coming home.

That's not to say there's not a lot of interesting things closer, but it's a big country out there -- which no one knows better than you.

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6355
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 13:43:41 (permalink)
    Burgers and Pie hmmmm sounds like an interesting idea for a trip.
    Oh yeah Im getting ready to do that through Nashville.

I love the Black Hills area, the last time I was flying out that way, some idiots decided to pick that day to fly 2 airliners into the world trade center.  Spent the next 4 days grounded until a rental car became available.

GADF - Good looking trip report so far
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 13:44:04 (permalink)
    Great report - this area is on my to-do list one of these days, and I'll be happy to have all these great references when it comes time to plan! Looking forward to more (and personally wouldn't be sad to see a few pics of buffalo, antelopes and prairie dogs thrown in!)
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 16:33:02 (permalink)
    We have been in and thru Custer St Park a number of times over the years. It ranks at the top of my list of State Parks for Animal Viewing.  Only Yellowstone tops it for Sunrise Animal photo Opps !!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 18:25:55 (permalink)
    Yes, yes!  Show us your animal pics too!!!
    GaDragonfly1
    Junior Burger
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 22:47:00 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for your comments on my post and your encouragement.  On our first day in the Black Hills on our way from Deadwood to Mount Rushmore we passed a restaurant - restaurant is much to mundane a name for this place - an attraction, that really caught our eye and screamed "RoadFood".  We pulled over and stopped to see if they were open for breakfast but unfortunately they were not.  On our second day we went back into Rapid City.  My husband was an Air Force brat and his father was stationed at Ellsworth AFB in the mid-60s.  We wanted to go back and see the base.  After our disappointment with breakfast the day before we decided to play it safe and stopped at Denny's for breakfast before going to the base.  We spent the morning touring the missile silo, the South Dakota Air and Space Museum and watching planes come in for touch and go practice we headed back to the Black Hills.  We wanted to visit what we thought was a railroad museum - the Roundhouse Railroad Museum in Leads and we wanted to eat lunch at Boondocks.  This was Friday and our plans included dropping by the BBQ contest in Spearfish to get our bearings there as well.  Since I don't have breakfast photos, I'll include a buffalo and antelope :)

Wait a minute...We may not have buffalo in Georgia, but I can tell that's no buffalo, someone slipped a crazy photograph into my trip report!  Actually, this is just one of the outrageous, fun, retro items that caught our eye yesterday when we passed Boondocks.  Not to mention that the place just screamed Roadfood.  After our trip to Rapid City our next goal on Friday was to return to Boondocks and have lunch at this crazy roadside attraction. 

Before we went into the restaurant we explored a couple of the buildings and attractions, but we were hungry so we didn't linger long.

After a brief glance at the menu we both decided on hamburger, fries and chocolate milk shake.  Can you imagine eating anything else at a place that looks like this? 

While we waited for our food we explored the various collections inside the restaurant.

They even had pictures on the ceiling

First our chocolate milk shakes were delivered.  The only disappointment of the entire experience was that the milk shake didn't come in an old fashioned, milk shake glass.  I understand why, I get that, but it would have only added to the experience to have the milk shake in a real glass.  But that said, it was creamy, chocolately, wonderfulness (is that a word?).  I can't remember the last time I had a milk shake with a hamburger.  The hamburgers were delicious in the way only high fat, old fashioned, bad for your heart kind of hamburgers can taste.  The french fries were perfection.  We both agreed this was one of the best hamburgers we've had in a long, long time.

After we finished eating we explored a few of the other buildings on the property...

We left Boondocks and turned our direction to the KCBS BBQ contest in Spearfish.  Our excuse for traveling to this area was to judge the Taste of Autumn BBQ and we wanted to find out how to get to the contest and meet some of the team members and the reps for the contest.  We met several teams including this pit boss who serenades his meat while it cooks.

My final trip report will include the BBQ, dinner at The Lodge, The Alpine Inn where the only menu is a dessert menu - your entree choices include a small filet or a large filet with a wedge of iceberg lettuce with ranch dressing, a baked potato and toast or a veggie pasta meal.  We also took the advice given here and visited Bumpin Buffalo

Good night fellow foodies and thanks for giving me a chance to relive these wonderful meals.

post edited by GaDragonfly1 - 2013/10/04 23:00:00
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 23:06:39 (permalink)
    Boondocks really does scream Roadfood..........those burgers and fries look wonderful.........and all that eclectic "stuff"...........I want to go there!  Then I want to see the pit boss serenading his meat.  What a great trip!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18272
    Re:Our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota 2013/10/04 23:08:03 (permalink)
    I wanna go to Boondocks. I love this thread. More! More! More!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1