Canteloupe Soup

Double Cheeseburger
2004/04/01 09:35:16
Have any of you tried chilled canteloupe soup? It is served at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville , NC and is very refreshing.
efuery
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Canteloupe Soup 2004/04/01 10:03:16
I understand these cold fruit soups are quite refreshing and very popular in the summer but for some reason I just can't seem to eat cold soup. I don't kow why, it just seems wrong. What the hell is wrong with me?
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Canteloupe Soup 2004/04/01 12:34:27
Never had it, but it sounds yummy to me!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Canteloupe Soup 2004/04/01 12:48:44
Cold fruit soups are delicious. I used to serve a chilled strawberry soup with champagne and creme fraiche at the restaurant. Everybody loved it. Cantelope or any other melon would work equally as well.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Canteloupe Soup 2004/04/01 12:51:47
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Cold fruit soups are delicious. I used to serve a chilled strawberry soup with champagne and creme fraiche at the restaurant. Everybody loved it. Cantelope or any other melon would work equally as well.

How about a recipe, Culinary Goddess?
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Canteloupe Soup 2004/04/01 15:36:59
Bushie, here's how I did the strawberry soup. I'm sure it would work equally as well with other fruits.

2 qt. strawberries
1/2 C chardonnay
1/3 C sugar (maybe more, depending on the sweetness of the berries)
1/2 C half and half

Puree all ingredients in food processor and chill. To serve, place in bowls and top with champagne and a dollop of creme fraiche or whipped cream, and a few mint sprigs.

Any berry or melon can be substituted for the strawberries. Have fun! Experiment!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Canteloupe Soup 2004/04/01 16:55:44
Thanks, Lisa!
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
RE: Canteloupe Soup 2006/03/21 15:56:58
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Bushie, here's how I did the strawberry soup. I'm sure it would work equally as well with other fruits.

2 qt. strawberries
1/2 C chardonnay
1/3 C sugar (maybe more, depending on the sweetness of the berries)
1/2 C half and half

Puree all ingredients in food processor and chill. To serve, place in bowls and top with champagne and a dollop of creme fraiche or whipped cream, and a few mint sprigs.

Any berry or melon can be substituted for the strawberries. Have fun! Experiment!

Years ago at a restaurant on Cape Cod, I had a chilled blueberry soup that must have been made with a similar recipe.

Walt
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
RE: Canteloupe Soup 2006/03/23 00:56:28
Where I come from, fruit soups are called "smoothies."