I give up!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 75
wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7379
  • Reward points : 0
I give up! - Thu, 04/1/04 9:52 AM
That's it I'm throwing in the towel. I've given up the search for great gastronomic finds. For now on it's fast food chains and franchises.

I'll begin my breakfast at Starbucks, or perhaps Dunkin Donuts or for an extra special treat...Krispy Kreme. On the weekends I have an amazing choice of Denny's Cracker Barrel and Waffle House....or maybe even IHOP.
Where to for lunch?? Perhaps Wendys, Burger King, Micky D's or KFC. Maybe I'm in the mood for mexican at Taco Bell, or those belly bombers at White Castle or those lo carb subs at Subway. Oh....so much to choose from. Now it's time for Dinner. TGI anyone, or maybe it's Bennigans tonight and Applebees tommorow. For an extra special treat we can head to Olive Garden and Red Lobster or perhaps Chi Chi's for international flair. If it's extra special Ruth Chris should hit the spot....Oh so many places to go and so little time...

By the way...
April Fools!!!

KimChee43
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: I give up! - Thu, 04/1/04 9:56 AM
WANDERINGJEW: Seriously, you had me going there for a minute! I'd forgotten it was April 1. Have a great day!

Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: I give up! - Thu, 04/1/04 10:08 AM
And I'm going to be serious about life for a change.

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: I give up! - Thu, 04/1/04 11:02 AM
Jane and Michael Stern have retired from the "Roadfood" series of books and have signed on with the" Guide 'Michelin" to devote full time to European five star dining.

Wanderingjew has announced his purchase of a minor league baseball team and its stadium , the "Jamestown Knishes". He plans to provide a fifteen minute "food stretch" between each half of each inning -breakfast is served at 8am, cocktails at 5pm and dinner 'till the game ends - or the candles burn out, whichever comes first.

Al the Mayor Bowen has been chosen by President Bush to be the US ambassador to Iraq. He wiil assume his post when the occupation ends in ends in July but not until the first WalMart opens in Baghdad.

Lleechef has come out of retirement to operate the first "Lucky Dogs" franchise in Point Barrow Alaska. She has announced that due to a full time commitment to the Summer fishing season in Alaska she will only have the "Lucky dogs " cart on the streets of Barrow from November thru March.

Elise T has cancelled her wedding plans for New Orleans. She will instead be married in New Paltz , NY by Mayor Jason West and a bevy of Universalist ministers.

Seafarer John and Grampy have purchased the North American franchise for Absolut vodka and plan to devote full time to promotion of the "Stalini" cocktail.

And that'sall the news for 4/1/04

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3217
RE: I give up! - Thu, 04/1/04 12:16 PM
And I'll have a dry fatty corned beef with on white with extra mayo.

Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: I give up! - Thu, 04/1/04 1:18 PM
And I'm going to try some blowfish for dinner. Konnichiwa![|)]

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: I give up! - Thu, 04/1/04 1:41 PM
WJ
You had me thinking the world had truely turned upside down. If there is one thing I can depend on, it's that I know you will continue to search out the small Mom & Pop places that are still out there, tucked away in a corner of small town Amercia! ("God Bless America" plays softly in the background)

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6208
RE: I give up! - Thu, 04/1/04 5:21 PM
Not only have I come out of retirement to open a Lucky Dogs in Point Barrow, I have also been offered the job of third cook in Denny's in Shishmaref, second cook at McDonald's in Shaktoolik and HEAD CHEF of Burger King in Eek! Eeeeeek! So there!

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15058
RE: I give up! - Thu, 04/1/04 5:32 PM
AHHHHHH S J - My first official act will be to empty the petroleum reserves of the former nation of Iraq, thus dissolving OPEC and causing a glut of gas available in the U S A ..thus lowering the price of gas at the pump to a nostalgic $.25 per gallon. (BTW we filled up here in Hoosierland for $1.53 this afternoon -no April Fools joke there- It was a WalMart Station.)

lleechef
RE: I give up! - Thu, 04/1/04 5:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Jane and Michael Stern have retired from the "Roadfood" series of books and have signed on with the" Guide 'Michelin" to devote full time to European five star dining.

Wanderingjew has announced his purchase of a minor league baseball team and its stadium , the "Jamestown Knishes". He plans to provide a fifteen minute "food stretch" between each half of each inning -breakfast is served at 8am, cocktails at 5pm and dinner 'till the game ends - or the candles burn out, whichever comes first.

Al the Mayor Bowen has been chosen by President Bush to be the US ambassador to Iraq. He wiil assume his post when the occupation ends in ends in July but not until the first WalMart opens in Baghdad.

Lleechef has come out of retirement to operate the first "Lucky Dogs" franchise in Point Barrow Alaska. She has announced that due to a full time commitment to the Summer fishing season in Alaska she will only have the "Lucky dogs " cart on the streets of Barrow from November thru March.

Elise T has cancelled her wedding plans for New Orleans. She will instead be married in New Paltz , NY by Mayor Jason West and a bevy of Universalist ministers.

Seafarer John and Grampy have purchased the North American franchise for Absolut vodka and plan to devote full time to promotion of the "Stalini" cocktail.

And that'sall the news for 4/1/04

That's very funny! Thank you!

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: I give up! - Sun, 04/18/04 5:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

And I'll have a dry fatty corned beef with on white with extra mayo.
Go for this: today's story!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/14/dining/14CHIC.html

wanderingjew
RE: I give up! - Fri, 04/1/05 12:25 PM
Resurrected and back to life!!!

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
RE: I give up! - Fri, 04/1/05 12:46 PM
Well, you got Rusty immediately.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: I give up! - Fri, 04/1/05 12:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

Well, you got Rusty immediately.

Huh? Me? If so, I don't get it, been then again that happens alot!

mayor al
RE: I give up! - Fri, 04/1/05 12:49 PM

When I saw my own post above, I wondered who had hacked my entry into the system...Then I caught onto the date.
No joke about the $1.53 gas last year.
Lisa, Start dry-aging that Whale Blubber and baiting the Halibut, less than 60 days til the Mayor & Mrs Mayor begins their State Visit to the Barren Frozen North. BTW How does one haul a 300 lb Halibut home to Indiana when traveling 'Coach'?

Rusty246
RE: I give up! - Fri, 04/1/05 12:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

When I saw my own post above, I wondered who had hacked my entry into the system...Then I caught onto the date.
Lisa, Start dry-aging that Whale Blubber and baiting the Halibut, less than 60 days til the Mayor & Mrs Mayor begins their State Visit to the Barren Frozen North. BTW How does one haul a 300 lb Halibut home to Indiana when traveling 'Coach'?

I'm glad I'm the only one that didn't catch on to a certain date. I feel so honored!

Rusty246
RE: I give up! - Fri, 04/1/05 1:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:

"I'm glad I'm NOT", I think I'll go back to work now.

I'm glad I'm the only one that didn't catch on to a certain date. I feel so honored!

lleechef
RE: I give up! - Sat, 04/2/05 12:56 AM
quote:

The whale blubber is dry-aging, we dug a hole in the tundra and buried some salmon heads which is the official state delicacy called Stinky Heads and I've already started on a batch of Eskimo ice cream....melted seal blubber whipped till it's like Crisco with berries. Yum!
Usually we stuff the 300 lb. halibut into the overhead luggage compartment in First Class and let the goo and slime ooze out onto the unsuspecting passengers, thus rendering their free booze undrinkable. Works like a charm!

Jennie
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: I give up! - Sat, 04/2/05 10:15 AM
Speaking of April Fool jokes, this one was food related. And a riot! They played it completely straight, as just another "All Things Considered" piece.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4571982

hefried
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: I give up! - Sat, 04/2/05 10:46 AM
sadly, it's not joking to most americans. *(eating like wandering jew was talking about)

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: I give up! - Sun, 04/3/05 11:33 AM
What's a universalist?

mayor al
RE: I give up! - Sun, 04/3/05 12:22 PM

Elise,
Another form of semi-organized religion somewhat similiar to the Unitarian Church.

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: I give up! - Sun, 04/3/05 12:28 PM
quote:

Elise,
Another form of semi-organized religion somewhat similiar to the Unitarian Church.

Well, if they could start some unorganized religion they might have a convert...

seafarer john
RE: I give up! - Sun, 04/3/05 12:47 PM
Elise: Consider it started. I will promise to never ever worship with you or any other member of our religion, and I will promise to keep my beliefs secret from everyone, especially the other members. Everyone is welcome to join or not join and not worship with us.

We will call ourselves THE FUNDYS (with apologies to the Bay of Fundy and the folks who live in its environs).

Cheers, John

mayor al
RE: I give up! - Sun, 04/3/05 1:17 PM

John,
I'll have to keep my unmembership a secret as being known as AL FUNDY has a certain guilt by association relationship that I don't think adds quality to the Mayordom.

Elise, My "semi-Organized" term was in comparison with some of the more structured organizations like the Catholic and LDS Churches. Universalists are a more 'loosely-knit confederation of churches' with related, but not necessarily identical practices and beliefs.

howard8
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: I give up! - Sun, 04/3/05 4:35 PM
Good one Wandering.
To celebrate April fools day,
I waited two hours to eat at
our local Cracker Barrel for a
meal of soggy, steamed table holded
slop. I just can't believe all the
people standing in line for the most
mediocre food, to say the least. one could
eat. I really did not eat there on April
first;I tried it several years ago and
vowed, never again.

wanderingjew
RE: I give up! - Sat, 04/1/06 10:00 AM
a annual tradition

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: I give up! - Sat, 04/1/06 10:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Elise: Consider it started. I will promise to never ever worship with you or any other member of our religion, and I will promise to keep my beliefs secret from everyone, especially the other members. Everyone is welcome to join or not join and not worship with us.

We will call ourselves THE FUNDYS (with apologies to the Bay of Fundy and the folks who live in its environs).

Cheers, John
I refuse to join any organization that would have me as member. Chow Jim

mayor al
RE: I give up! - Sat, 04/1/06 12:39 PM

Dale,
What are today's choices? You always make this holiday so special !!

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: I give up! - Sat, 04/1/06 12:51 PM
WJ, on your western trip don't go to Peoria, Arizona. When I was there, I thought of you. It seemed to me like it would be your version of hell, with miles and miles and miles of almost nothing but chain eateries.

wanderingjew
RE: I give up! - Sat, 04/1/06 1:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

WJ, on your western trip don't go to Peoria, Arizona. When I was there, I thought of you. It seemed to me like it would be your version of hell, with miles and miles and miles of almost nothing but chain eateries.

I know, I was there in 2002 on a business trip with my previous employer. It seems that our office was literally in the midst of chain hell, but....it was across the street from the Padres spring training park. So we did get to see a game against Anaheim. Little did we know, Anaheim would win the world series later that the season!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17801
RE: I give up! - Sat, 04/1/06 3:33 PM
An opossum walked into Arby's a little while ago and ordered a roast beef sandwich. The fastfood clerk behind the counter asked whether he wanted some horseysauce for the roast beef sandwich and the opossum said, "No thanks, I never put condiments on roadkill."

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: I give up! - Sun, 04/2/06 1:19 AM
$1.53 a gallon for gas.......*sigh*.....

wanderingjew
RE: I give up! - Sun, 04/1/07 9:31 AM
It's that time of the year again!

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5055
RE: I give up! - Sun, 04/1/07 10:06 AM

wanderingjew
RE: I give up! - Tue, 04/1/08 8:12 AM
Same time this year!

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9774
RE: I give up! - Tue, 04/1/08 8:29 AM
wanderingjew-
This is the first time I have ever seen this thread. That first post of yours is absolutely priceless!!!

Earl of Sandwich
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: I give up! - Tue, 04/1/08 8:59 AM
I, too, got suckered in, WJ. Good job. Honestly, you are kidding, right?

susanll
  • Total Posts : 1077
RE: I give up! - Tue, 04/1/08 9:36 AM
The $1.53 gas price looks nostalgic now.

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
RE: I give up! - Tue, 04/1/08 10:55 AM
Pursuing breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches is getting old hat and I've been everywhere anyway. Road fooding is tedious as well causing one to have to drive so far in this day and age of high gasoline prices. It's back to Big Macs for me.

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
RE: I give up! - Tue, 04/1/08 11:44 AM
Hooray for Wonder Bread

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: I give up! - Tue, 04/1/08 1:41 PM
This thread is beginning to remind me of Groundhog's Day, without Sonny and Cher.

but seroiusly, I give up being opinionated, long posts, and arguing my point to death....ha ha... April Fool's - I can't believe you fell for that!

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: I give up! - Tue, 04/1/08 1:48 PM
$4.09 a gallon for diesel.......*sigh*.....

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: I give up! - Tue, 04/1/08 3:27 PM
God, I'm sorry I won't get to vote for Mike Huckabee.

wanderingjew
RE: I give up! - Wed, 04/1/09 7:21 AM
It's that time of year again folks!

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3660
RE: I give up! - Wed, 04/1/09 8:23 AM
Celebrate big!  Go all out and head  to your nearest Fuddrucker's tonight for the burger of your life!

wanderingjew
RE: I give up! - Wed, 04/1/09 8:42 AM
Greymo

Celebrate big!  Go all out and head  to your nearest Fuddrucker's tonight for the burger of your life!

Or a nice juicy steak at the Longhorn

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
RE: I give up! - Wed, 04/1/09 10:06 AM
I think we have exhausted everything that could be said about roadfood since you can find it all just by searching the database. From now on in this forum I will only discuss fast food and more specifically Waffle House and White Castle, ketchup on a hot dog and the Orion cooker. If I get bored I might condescend to discussing social tea biscuits with you all.

seafarer john
RE: I give up! - Wed, 04/1/09 10:18 AM
This just in from the Portland, RI "Logbook" : 

Court records unsealed yesterday revealed that well known  long time Rhode Island resident, Dale "Wandering Jew" Hussain , 12 years ago was  secretly married to the widow of Ray Kroc, owner of the McDonalds franchise operations. After only 3 months the marriage ended in a bitter divorce.  

According to  persons close to Mr Hussain this revelation of his brief marriage to the McDonalds fortune explains his unrelenting single minded obsessive disdain  of  all food  franchises. 

Cheers, John  

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: I give up! - Wed, 04/1/09 10:19 AM
I'm having lunch at Taco Bell. I can hardly wait!!!

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: I give up! - Wed, 04/1/09 11:19 AM
 I am giving up meat and devoting myself to a vegan diet. Peace and joy.

kirstine
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: I give up! - Wed, 04/1/09 11:32 AM
I wish I'd remembered just what today was this morning at 6:45 when my partner woke me up to tell me there was a white rabbit in our kitchen then proceeded to laugh when in a state of sleepiness I got up to look!

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: I give up! - Wed, 04/1/09 11:43 AM
Today there will be a April Fools Day Parade going down 5th Avenue, floats and all, and Bernie Madoff will be the grand marshall.

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: I give up! - Wed, 04/1/09 12:29 PM
seafarer john
...Dale "Wandering Jew" Hussain , 12 years ago was  secretly married to the widow of Ray Kroc, owner of the McDonalds franchise operations. After only 3 months the marriage ended in a bitter divorce.

So that's why wanderingjew lost fifty-bucks in a bet with his friend David Gest.  

wanderingjew
RE: I give up! - Wed, 04/1/09 12:41 PM
i95

seafarer john
...Dale "Wandering Jew" Hussain , 12 years ago was  secretly married to the widow of Ray Kroc, owner of the McDonalds franchise operations. After only 3 months the marriage ended in a bitter divorce.

So that's why wanderingjew lost fifty-bucks in a bet with his friend David Gest.  

?????

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: I give up! - Wed, 04/1/09 1:16 PM
I . . can't top that.

easydoesit
  • Total Posts : 470
RE: I give up! - Thu, 04/2/09 7:46 AM
seafarer john

This just in from the Portland, RI "Logbook" : 

Court records unsealed yesterday revealed that well known  long time Rhode Island resident, Dale "Wandering Jew" Hussain , 12 years ago was  secretly married to the widow of Ray Kroc, owner of the McDonalds franchise operations. After only 3 months the marriage ended in a bitter divorce.  

According to  persons close to Mr Hussain this revelation of his brief marriage to the McDonalds fortune explains his unrelenting single minded obsessive disdain  of  all food  franchises. 

Cheers, John 

Nothing is as simple as it seems; tangled webs and tentacles always run deeper.  Full disclosure requires the information that Joan Mansfield Kroc was born in MINNESOTA!

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: I give up! - Thu, 04/2/09 11:20 AM
That all sounds to me like a Kroc of $h!t.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: I give up! - Thu, 04/2/09 1:45 PM
Is it to late to post here??? Ok then...

My quest is to discover the CiCi's location that makes the very best Mac n Cheese Pizza! :~)
Joe

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: I give up! - Fri, 04/3/09 4:19 AM
It's in Bowling Green, Ky. Not only is the mac&cheese pizza to die of, the employees scream out  a welcome when you walk in the door, as though you were a long dead rich relative, coming back one last time to disburse largesse upon the masses.
<message edited by Poverty Pete on Fri, 04/3/09 4:32 AM>

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 75