New (For Us) Barbeque Spot

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
  • Reward points : 0
New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Wed, 10/23/13 1:53 PM
On Sunday we passed through Johnstown, Ohio on U.S. 62 on our way to Utica to get some untreated cider at an apple orchard stand and noticed that the Route 62 Barbeque place was open. lleechef suggested that we ought to stop there on our way home and try it out. We'd passed the place a number of times while going to and from Utica and the Velvet ice cream factory, but for some reason never got around to stopping. Boy, are we glad we finally did.

We each ordered pulled pork sandwiches and we also got a side of greens. Each sandwich had half a pound of meat, and it was really good. It was smoky, juicy and tender, and there was a beautiful smoke ring. They had several different sauces, and we chose the Carolina, which was nice and vinegary with a little heat. The standard house sauce was on the table, and we both tried some and found it to be quite good, too. The greens were excellent and a little different from what we're used to. They were vinegary with some bite. All in all, we enjoyed the food, and we'll be going back. We both thought the pork was better than what's available at City Barbeque, a local chain with a store just a short distance from our house. Next time we want to try their baked beans to see how they compare with other local offerings, and we'll also try the ribs, which are amazingly inexpensive.

http://www.62bbq.com/

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Wed, 10/23/13 5:08 PM
You chose your sauce wisely. 
As they say in Eastern Carolina,
"You don't put vinegar on beef or ketchup on pork".

It was 10 or so years after I moved to the South that I came to realize that "barbecue" was a noun, not a verb.

----------------------------

One of the many nice things about 'Foodie TV' is the spread of this fine art north of the Mason-Dixon line. 

Evidently, it has already hit greater Pittsburgh.  Even NYC has preteses!  Where next:  New England?  Wisconsin?

Michael Hoffman
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Wed, 10/23/13 5:14 PM
Oh, it's already in New England. At least Southern New England. I believe there are several que places in Connecticut now.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3557
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Wed, 10/23/13 7:04 PM
The barbecue place sounds great, but I sure wish I could find some untreated cider. Yum!

Michael Hoffman
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Wed, 10/23/13 7:16 PM
EdSails

The barbecue place sounds great, but I sure wish I could find some untreated cider. Yum!

I had despaired of finding untreated cider here. Then I heard about this place. I'd not been able to get any in Ohio in several years. leechef and I did find some really good untreated cider last year in Western Pennsylvania, and I was giving serious thought to a three and a half hour trip (each way) to get some more when I found out about this place.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6220
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Wed, 10/23/13 8:12 PM
Ed
Not only is the untreated cider delicious, the apples (I bought a bunch of different super crisp, tart varieties) are some of the best I've had.   

MetroplexJim
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Thu, 10/24/13 9:28 AM
EdSails

Non-pasteurized (raw) cider was always the prime treat of Fall. 
It's a damn shame that the food-Nazis have nearly made it extinct.

When I was a teen the very best place to get cider was the Apple Castle.  The Johnstons are still in business; if any of you find yourselves near NW Pennsylvania, it's definitely worth a stop!

lleechef
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Thu, 10/24/13 10:43 AM
MJ
You're just partial to New Wilmington, come on, admit it! 

MetroplexJim
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Thu, 10/24/13 11:00 AM
lleechef

MJ

It's very nice, but definitely "bring your own Bourbon"!

lleechef
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Thu, 10/24/13 11:40 AM
MetroplexJim

lleechef

MJ

Or as my college roommate's father (a big wig in NYC) put it, "My God, you need your Senior Citizen's Card to get into this town!!"

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Thu, 10/24/13 12:43 PM
I love untreated apple cider. Best ever. I cant find it anywhere in Wisconsin....

MetroplexJim
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Thu, 10/24/13 1:11 PM
ann peeples

I love untreated apple cider. Best ever. I cant find it anywhere in Wisconsin....

It's the same everywhere.  Same deal with the raw milk I used to enjoy in my youth. 
It's hard to beat a team-up of food-Nazis and lawyers.

MetroplexJim
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Thu, 10/24/13 1:22 PM
lleechef

MetroplexJim

lleechef

MJ

Or as my college roommate's father (a big wig in NYC) put it, "My God, you need your Senior Citizen's Card to get into this town!!"

Sad, but true, that 'senior care' is now that region's largest employer.  Jameson Health Care Systems is the largest employer in Lawrence County; UPMC is the largest employer in Pittsburgh and now has its name on what was the U.S. Steel Building.

Here is a thread I started a while back lamenting this circumstance.  The "Hell of it" is that area remains a wonderful place to live.  It is a truly unfortunate circumstance that it is no longer a great place to work unless you are a nurse or mortician.  

lleechef
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Thu, 10/24/13 1:38 PM
Actually, her father made that comment over lunch at the Tavern in New Wilmington, lamenting the fact that he couldn't get a cocktail with his meal!

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Thu, 10/24/13 5:52 PM
MetroplexJim

ann peeples

It's the same everywhere.  Same deal with the raw milk I used to enjoy in my youth. 
It's hard to beat a team-up of food-Nazis and lawyers.

I can't believe I am going to say this....

I think I am real glad I live in SE IN.  I can thin of 5 orchards within 40 miles that hae untreated cider. and the closest is only 7 miles.

The weather this year has made it a PERFECT year for apples and cider, and punkins too.  We picked up 4 rather LARGE punkins for the "kids" to carve.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3557
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Fri, 10/25/13 12:00 AM
There is a place where you can find untreated cider here in CA. It's in Oak glen, which is about a 4 hour drive, part of it on freeway and part on a windy two lane road. Oak Glen is all about apples, with U-pick apple farms, places that sell untreated cider and even a place where you can "press your own" cider. It's just a long ways away, or else I'd be getting cider all the time!

Michael Hoffman
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Fri, 10/25/13 10:55 AM
Ed, you can always get a few gallons and park them in a snowbank in your yard. They'll keep nicely, and the plus is they'll get good an hard over winter.

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1065
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Wed, 10/30/13 10:23 AM
Don't know of any untreated cider around here. Unless,maybe up at the town of Medina, in Bandera County.They have an annual apple festival. When my parents were alive,we drove all over to various towns around San Antonio and the Texas Hill Country.Now there's just me,so i don't feel like going by myself.Not sure how popular cider is here. I can find it at H.E.B.Grocery stores and Walmart,but that is the only place I see it.

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Sun, 11/3/13 5:25 PM
I just got back from a camping trip near Mohican State park and we found some untreated cider at Mowery's apple orchard. It was really just a barn behind someone's house but the cider was great. We got regular and cherry. We also took down several carmel apples while sitting in the car.

It's well worth the 75 minute drive from Columbus. Pus there is a great little family restaurant in downtown Loudonville - Hanover House Diner. I had the creamed chipped beef on toast with mashed potatoes (picture of it my wife posted on yelp http://www.yelp.com/biz/h...use-diner-loudonville) and my wife got a cheeseburger and some good homemade broccoli cheddar soup. The soup was good but it had noodles in it which was kind of strange. Nothing strange about the pie - butterscotch for me and pecan for my wife.
<message edited by hatteras04 on Sun, 11/3/13 5:33 PM>

Michael Hoffman
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Sun, 11/3/13 6:01 PM
 Boy, I'd forgotten about Hanover House Diner. I'll be it's been close to forever since I was there. I remember it being good.

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
Re:New (For Us) Barbeque Spot - Sun, 11/3/13 6:28 PM
Michael Hoffman

EdSails

I had despaired of finding untreated cider here. Then I heard about this place. I'd not been able to get any in Ohio in several years. leechef and I did find some really good untreated cider last year in Western Pennsylvania, and I was giving serious thought to a three and a half hour trip (each way) to get some more when I found out about this place.
Sellers Orchard in Hillsboro, Oh  has fantastic untreated cider:

Ohio Apple Association