Hot!2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 07:18:17
Danny - this is some great stuff...thanks for chiming in and adding your photos and reflections!  This has really been a fun thread!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 07:34:12
Al, I love those photos!  And not just because there is pie in them.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 07:34:23
In my food induced coma, and just before a 2 hour bus ride nap on the previous night, I agreed to meet buffetbuster early on Sunday morning.  While this was against my better judgement, I agreed to go so as to keep buffetbuster from getting into any trouble.  As indicated, I am an omelet guy...

...and here's my meat lovers omelet which had all the southern meats along with some cheddar cheese on top.  The hash browns were Michael Hoffman inspired and came smothered....cheese and onions!

While I love the atmosphere at The Barksdale, the omelet is just average.  Could be because Chicago is such a breakfast town, and I enjoy a lot of omelets over the course of a year, so in comparison, this one is solid but not great.  It's also a lot of fun to chat it up with the staff and motherly is the perfect word!  I still feel this a solid Roadfood stop in Memphis because of the atmosphere and staff.  Also, I have not had any other meal here except breakfast.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 07:37:28
CTD-
I have probably eaten at Barksdale at least ten times and I have never had anything but breakfast.  Mariton and I will be right back there next week and I plan on ordering much more than just biscuits and gravy.  Maybe we will do a ChiTownDiner inspired doubleheader!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 07:52:36
It's now 7:55am, we've had breakfast #1, spoken to several departing Roadfooders at our hotel and we're now in line for breakfast #2 at Brother Junipers.  While I have not dined at the San Fran location, this was on my Memphis radar screen...

Here's the Hungry Tiger open faced omelet which is described as...

Hungry Tiger
A Bed of Home Fries Topped w/ Bacon, Ham, Sausage,
Tomatoes, Green Onions, Feta, Cheddar Cheese, Mozzarella, & Swiss Chesse

It really has a nice mix flavors with each bite having a different taste depending on the ingredient mix.  I choose the biscuit and gravy as my side and while not the best on the trip, it was slightly above average on the Southern Biscuit Scale.

The omelet was definitely one worth returning for as would several of the other items we viewed at the adjacent and now completely full tables.  This spot really specializes in egg dishes so if you're an omelet lover, they got you covered! 

Next up was a quick stop - can't interfere with our next meal - at Sun Records.

Having seen and really enjoyed Million Dollar Quartet, I was enthusiastic about this stop...and so were lots of other folks from all over the world...at least judging by all the languages we heard spoken.

Also of interest was this local dance hall just down the street.  While closed on a Sunday morning, I imagine the neon to be pretty cool after dark...

As we had an 11am lunch meet-up, it was time to program the GPS...
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 07:54:20
buffetbuster

CTD-
I have probably eaten at Barksdale at least ten times and I have never had anything but breakfast.  Mariton and I will be right back there next week and I plan on ordering much more than just biscuits and gravy.  Maybe we will do a ChiTownDiner inspired doubleheader!

buffetbuster -

Looking forward to your next recap...will you make the lunch menu?

Also that burger place in Nashville on today's front page looks awesome!  How have I missed that one?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 07:57:24
CTD-
Blame CajunKing for not finding it earlier!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 08:07:47
buffetbuster

CTD-
Blame CajunKing for not finding it earlier!

I love love love blaming CajunKing for anything....you listening Donald

I am still embarrassed we had to add an extra table to a fourtop when only three were dining because of his excessive ordering....I have trouble sleeping at night remembering that picture! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 08:22:11
CTD-
You are right, CajunKing really was a bad influence on us that night at Rotier's.  Without him, no doubt we would have went with our usual order, a side salad for me and a Tofu wrap for you.

Seriously, I love the fact that we have been getting photos and desciptions from six different Roadfooders who were on the tour!  This thread has been a real team effort. 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 09:34:36
This is a really team effort...no TTM'ing here! 
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 09:39:02
Hey....I'm right here. 

You know I can hear you?
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 09:48:06
The Travelin Man

Hey....I'm right here. 

You know I can hear you?

Couldn't resist...saw you were online!!!   
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 09:49:28
Also...never heard or saw any discussions on regional food ordering/selecting/eating/trying/dreaming of/or whatever on this trip!  
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 09:52:54
I'm looking forward to reports on Memphis-style pizza.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 10:27:25
SC-
Coletta's!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 11:29:45
SC -
Ditto! 
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 14:38:13
CTD & BB - You realize that does mean another trip to Nashville is in order.  One where we ALL can be there.

Because besides Gabby's there is The loving Pie Company too, which i will be submitting to the new review editor shortly. 

PLUS - Rotiers hashbrown casserole is calling your names

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 14:59:37
CajunKing

CTD & BB - You realize that does mean another trip to Nashville is in order.  One where we ALL can be there.

Because besides Gabby's there is The loving Pie Company too, which i will be submitting to the new review editor shortly. 

PLUS - Rotiers hashbrown casserole is calling your names

You're killing me with this teasing! 
Big_g
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 15:07:11
ChiTownDiner

Danny - this is some great stuff...thanks for chiming in and adding your photos and reflections!  This has really been a fun thread!

Very nice stuff Danny!!
CTD you are correct sir...a very fun thread...people here at work are dying to see/read the next pages.....
ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 21:30:53
CajunKing,
LOL you are right.  Candied yams (a side dish) are no substitute for delicious pie.  I made a blasphemous statement.  I promise to show up at the Cincy chili and coney crawl with a bigger appetite!

BuffetBuster,
I really do not know why I wasn't given a plate at Alcenia's.  Haha I probably didn't notice because I was too busy enjoying the food. 

Big_g,
Thanks for the compliment Gary!  I am having a blast reading/posting to this thread.  By the way, you need to start signing all your posts Big_g, CBJ (Certified BBQ Judge).  Remember when you told me about that awesome title you have?! 

Lastly, I know that I am new to the Roadfood community, but I want to be informed about any future Nashville eating get together.  Please lol.  And the story about the extra table for food at Rotier's is hilarious.  I actually laughed out loud when I read it.

-Danny

ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 21:43:33
Cliff did an amazing job documenting all the restaurants on the bus tour.  He even posted some of my pictures to this thread, so I am not going to post any of my photos of the food.  Here are some other pictures from Friday and Saturday. 

Mem 24 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Wayne and I at Gus's.  Boyd took this photo.

Mem 26 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Mr. Stern and I at Central BBQ at the end of the tour Friday evening.  What a great guy!

Mem 27 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Mem 28 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Mem 29 by dnowak15, on Flickr

What can I say about the world famous Beale St?  Honestly, when I went there Saturday night after the bus tour, the place had an unpleasant smell to it.  Lots of drunk folks and lots of police officers.  I don't mean to disparage the area, but I highly doubt any locals come here to eat or drink.  Based on the last image, I am not surprised by the heavy police presence on Beale St.  

I still had all of Sunday to eat!  One more chapter to come...

-Danny 

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 22:31:38
Chibears15, you may be new to Roadfood, but you're a Roadfooder, and you done good. Keep things coming.
ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 22:37:00
On my final day (Sunday) in Memphis, I was planning on eating at the Blue Plate Cafe, Dyer's Burgers, and A&R BBQ.  I purposely booked an evening flight out of Memphis to have time to eat.  This ended up being an incredible day despite some serious culinary misses.  A couple of fellow Roadfooders would save the day!  Keep on reading for details.

Mem 30 by dnowak15, on Flickr

I checked out of the DoubleTree at 9:00am, left my bags at the bell desk, and walked to my breakfast destination: the Blue Plate Cafe.  This is not the same location that was previously visited in this thread, but I ended up with a similar result.  This one is located downtown near Court Square. 

Mem 31 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Mem 32 by dnowak15, on Flickr

I ordered biscuits n gravy and a waffle with fruit.  The waffle was decent, but the gravy was basically a very thin soup.  Way too watery for me.  Despite the average food, the restaurant is nicely decorated and my waitress was very pleasant.  An ok start to the day.

Mem 33 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Mem 34 by dnowak15, on Flickr

I was hoping my lunch destination would more than make up for my lackluster breakfast.  I walked to Beale St. to eat at the world famous Dyer's Burgers.  Apparently, they use 100 year old grease to cook their burgers.  This burger joint had me excited because I had read about it online and saw it on television.  This was on my burger bucket list! 

Mem 35 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Sadly, the burger was a complete dud ;-(
It wasn't terrible.  It was just very ordinary, and I do not know how this place gets as much hype as it does.  To be fair, the service at Dyer's was fantastic.  The mother and daughter servers who took care of me were complete sweethearts.  They made me feel very welcome at the restaurant.  Regardless of the mediocre burger, I left a generous tip. 

That's strike two for the day.  Darn!  I, however, was not yet discouraged at this point since I had plans to try a Memphis staple soon: the bbq bologna sandwich.  I walked north from Beale St. to A&R BBQ's downtown location on 3rd St. 

Mem 36 by dnowak15, on Flickr

What did I order at A&R you may be wondering?  I ordered nothing because the place was closed!  When planning this Memphis trip, I checked whether they would be open on Sunday and their website confirmed their Sunday hours at this location.  Strike 3 for the day! 

At this point, I threw in the towel.  Considering it was Sunday and I was carless, I was out of Roadfood options at this point.  My plan now was to grab a cup of coffee and watch football somewhere until it was time to cab it out to the airport for my flight home. 

Since it was a beautiful day in Memphis, I decided to make one more visit to Mud Island River Park to see the Mississippi one more time.  I can stare at that river for hours without getting bored.  This would end up being the most important decision I made on this trip.  Call it an accidental audible that won the game!  I would eat a BBQ bologna sandwich because of this critical decision! 

Mem 37 by dnowak15, on Flickr 

Here is one more picture of the river. 

While walking around the park enjoying the sunshine and daydreaming, I noticed someone in sunglasses waving hello toward me.  It was Cliff aka BuffetBuster!!!  I walked over toward him, said hello, and noticed the ChiTownDiner sitting on a bench talking on the phone.  What a coincidence!  I talked to both of these guys extensively on the bus tour so it was great being able to see them again. 

Cliff asked me how I was getting to the airport.  After telling him I was planning on taking a cab, he and Gregg offered to give me a ride to the airport.  Turns out, me and CTD had the same flight back to Chicago! 

The three of us walked from Mud Island to their hotel to pick up the car.  They drove me to my hotel so I could pick up my luggage.  LOL since I was with two of the biggest foodies in the country, we couldn't just drive to the airport without enjoying one last meal.  We decided on Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ which isn't located in the best of neighborhoods. 

Mem 38 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Mem 39 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Mem 40 by dnowak15, on Flickr

Mem 25 by dnowak15, on Flickr

CTD and I both ordered BBQ Bologna sandwiches with a side of BBQ spaghetti.  BuffetBuster went with the pulled pork sandwich, and we all tried some of CTD's Sock-it-to-Me cake.  I thought the BBQ Bologna was fabulous.  Truly a unique flavor profile I never experienced before.  I thought the pulled pork was average and I do not remember much of the Sock-it-to-Me cake.  Maybe the guys can chime in. 

After not being able to eat bologna at A&R and having average meals at Blue Plate and Dyer's, Interstate BBQ saved the day for me.  Plus, I got to spend time with two great individuals.  Hopefully, we all keep in touch.  Following our meal at Interstate, we drove to the airport and dropped off the rental car.  While sitting with CTD at the airport gate area, I asked him if he wanted to split an ultimate sampler platter from Corky's BBQ (they have an airport location), but he declined like a true amateur Just kidding...

There was an annoying Pittsburgh Steelers fan (No, not Cliff) that was sitting by us and screaming at a television by the gate area.  This made Gregg and I laugh.  Our flight left on time and landed early at O'Hare.  What an amazing end to an amazing weekend.  I hope all of you enjoy my pictures and comments.  Final thoughts on the bus tour to come...

-Danny
ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 22:38:18
Mr. Hoffman,

Thank you very much!  I hope you enjoy the final chapter.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 23:00:14
ChiBears15
Thanks for your great photos and commentaries to this wonderful thread!  And yes, you certainly did end up with two great Roadfooders!!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 23:04:36
Michael Hoffman

Chibears15, you may be new to Roadfood, but you're a Roadfooder, and you done good.
Agree 100%!!! 

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 23:10:03
Big_g

ChiTownDiner

Very nice stuff Danny!!
CTD you are correct sir...a very fun thread...people here at work are dying to see/read the next pages.....
Hey Big_g, how about letting us know about your choices for best of the tour?

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/22 23:39:50
Before my last trip to Memphis, I read that Four Way Grill had reopened.  This place used to be a regular in the early Roadfood books, but it had been closed for quite a while.  It was obvious from reading the old books that it was a favorite of Jane and Michael Stern.  So, we asked if they were interested in joining us there for lunch and we were thrilled when they took us up on the offer.

This restaurant is in the same building as the old Four Way Grill, but now just calls itself The Four Way

Notice how the sign says they are celebrating 65 years.  The menu

is what you would expect from a Southern soul food restaurant, with lots of good options.

Jane's choice was the fried chicken

and her sides were mashed potatoes and dressing.  Unfortunately, I was a little slow getting the food photos and Jane had already taken a bite out of a leg.  She set it back down, hiding the bitten part on the bottom, so I could get my photo!

Michael went with the catfish fillet,

with boiled okra and broccoli covered with cheese as the sides.  CTD ordered the turkey and dressing,

with his usual mac and cheese, plus corn.  None of the entrees jumped out at me, so going with a four vegetable plate was an easy decision. 

Clockwise from the front, that is English peas, smothered cabbage, yams and turnip greens.  And just in case a fifth diner decided to join us, we were prepared because Michael also got the hot dog special.

No meal with CTD is complete without at least some desserts and here we split slices of chocolate

and strawberry

pound cakes. 

Truthfully, I don't remember all that much about the food, other than the yams and turnip greens were my favorites.  At one point I asked how the food compared to the old place and both Jane and Michael immediately replied that it wasn't even close.  For CTD and I, we enjoyed the conversation so much, we really didn't mind that the food was just okay.  This lunch was one of the highlights of the trip for both of us.

The Four Way
998 Mississippi Blvd.
Memphis, TN
901-507-1519

After this meal, even CTD was ready to take a break and do some sightseeing.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/11/22 23:42:29
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 01:11:36
Chibears 15, you did a beautiful job on your first trip report! I'm going to sound like your mother here (I'm 53!) but you look and sound like such a very nice young man. I admire your poise in your photos with the other roadfooders. I am shy and I would have looked much ill at ease. You said you went into the trip not knowing anyone. A common interest can help you make such good friends. Nice save on your last day. Isn't it nice that you ran into Cliff and CTD? Hope we hear from you frequently. By the way, I'm sure you've already been told this, but you can count yourself a real roadfooder now that you've ttmed. Just ask Travelman what that means. God bless you.
Marion
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 05:51:32
It wasn't that we had eaten that much food on the day, but you combine it with the tour the previous two days and we were now running on fumes.  Needing to do some sightseeing, ChiTownDiner expressed interest in riding the trolley car around the downtown area.  It runs in a constant circle, with a stop right in front of the hotel we had spent the last three nights.  So, we went back to the hotel just to park and caught the trolley.

The inside of the vehicle is lots of wood

and looks either new or neatly refurbished.  The entire loop didn't take very long, maybe 45 minutes tops, but it was a relaxing way to see some parts of the city that was unknown to us.  

We got back off the hotel and walked to the entrance to Mud Island.  When we got on the monorail, the young man working inside asked everyone to please fasten your seats belts.  Everyone around us, including me started looking around and, of course, there are no seat belts.  He just laughed and said, "I get them everytime!"

When you buy a ticket to Mud Island, you get to see the museum dedicated to the Mississippi River and the Mississippi Riverwalk. 

Needing to do some walking, we chose the latter and traced the river as it makes it's journey to the Gulf of Mexico.  

As a lover of geography, I love this riverwalk!

This pool of water

represents Lake Pontchartrain and this bigger one,

with the duck boat is the Gulf.  You can also get nice views of downtown and further down the river from here. 

This was a very enjoyable hour or so for us and a nice break.

As CTD was talking on the phone to his better half, he pointed out to me, "Hey, it's Danny".  So I went over and waved himdown.  It was great that we had run into him, because he would have had to get a taxi to the airport and we could share one last meal together.

There was talk of trying a different bbq parlor for our last meal in town, but Interstate's close proximity to the airport made it the choice.  I have always been a fan of Interstate Bar-B-Q

and think they are a little underrated, but not on this day.  We looked over the menu

and decided to split some sandwiches. 

The pork bbq sandwich

looked good, but the meat was very dry and probably half of it went uneaten.  The bbq spaghetti

was as wonderful as ever.  I did get a quarter of the thick sliced bbq bologna

and that was much better.  At this point, I was spent and didn't even try the sock-it-to-me cake,

which was a iced lemon pound cake.

Even though the pork bbq sandwich this day was not good, I would return to Interstate Bar-B-Q with no hesitation, having so many good meals here in the past.

Interstate Bar-B-Q
2265 S. Third Street
Memphis, TN
901-775-2304

It was straight to the airport, where I said to goodbye to an old friend and a new one.  Once at the gate, they had the Steelers vs. Ravens game on, so I spent the next hour yelling at the tv.  Since this was a direct flight to Pittsburgh, I wasn't the only annoying Steelers fan!

I had no plans to do a trip report, so Danny and I agreed that he was going to tackle it instead.  But, this was such a great all around trip, it would be a shame to not write about it.  With Danny not being able to post pictures yet, due to his 30 day probation period, he kindly let me step in.  Much appreciated!

My part is done.  I am still hoping we hear from other people who were on the tour to let us know about their experiences.       
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/11/23 05:55:54
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 09:24:33
Arriving at The Four Way 20 minutes before opening, our timing couldn't have been better.  Jane and Michael Stern pulled up at the same time as we walked around towards the front and with a wave of a hand, we were invited in early!  Everyone was so welcoming and the extra 20 minutes gave us some time to select an appropriate table - one which was close to the kitchen to minimize delivery time!  Every step counts!

The additional time also let us catch up on all kinds of restaurant, misc. non-food subjects and look back a little over the previous few days!  We exchanged a few pretty good stories! 

My pictures are pretty much the same as buffetbuster's....

My choice was the turkey and dressing along with two of my favorite sides.  This was a solid plate but there weren't really any standouts!  Right in the average to slightly abovce average wheelhouse!

Buffetbuster's previously mentioned diet plate...

He's such a veggie head!

Both cakes were pretty much standard issue, nothing special....but the hot dog special was just awful!  No need to open up the "Where's the best hot dog city" on this one, these were really, really bad!  Worst dish of the trip!

As buffetbuster mentioned, we did need a break!  I just had to slow him down...

The trolley is a buck!  Best deal in the city! 

We rode by the Pyramid which is being transformed into a Bass Pro Shop and upscale hotel!

Here's the cable car approaching at Mud Island....

This provided a really nice break and gave us an up close experience with the Mighty Mississippi River!  At this point, it pretty cool to run into ChiBears15 and he joined our merry little group!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 09:26:33
This has been such a fun report. I hate to see it end.......
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 09:33:00
Big_g

ChiTownDiner

Very nice stuff Danny!!

Thanks Big_g - it's been a fun thread made even better by all of the additional comments and pictures!  Glad you're enjoying it...sorta sad to be getting to the end!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 09:38:08
ChiBears15 -

That whole Beale Street scene just irritates me!  While we were down there, and I believe either the night before or 2 nights before your visit, the entire street was closed for a while due to rioting!  It was non-stop coverage on the news and with everyone an amateur videographer these days because of cell phones, there was no shortage of footage! 

Why would a city allow this b.s. to discredit an entire downtown.  It's not even worth visiting the area with the gangs, fights, riots and what ever else! 

I am so glad we crossed paths on Sunday and got a little bbq in! 
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 09:50:14
I go to Interstate on the way to the airport and with one thing in mind...

Bologna and BBQ Spagehtti...and I loved 'em both!  The Sock It To Me Cake was purely a reflex afterthought.  I was all in on the B & S!  These are really good versions and always solid choices! 

All that's left are a few best of trip selections...hope everyone keeps adding in!  Thanks! 
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 10:07:42
This has to be one of the best trip reports ever.  Those of us that couldn't attend certainly appreciate the effort by all of you that took the time to post pictures and write comments.  Thanks everyone!! 
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 13:21:05
Truly great trip report, one of the best! I love all of everyone's contributions, but I say again that I am devoted to your reports, BB. They got me hooked, initally, and I have gone all the way back and read and reread your reports. When one gets bumped, I start reading and think 'hmmm, this looks familiar'. If it is an old one, I sometimes move on but lots of times, I'll read it over again. You could publish them, I think.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 13:54:33
A few of us have already shared our picks on the actual tour, but as I had a few extra days in town, I have a few more competitors to choose from...

Best BBQ - Payne's followed really close by Cozy Corner
Best Pie - Ms. Lena's
Best Overall - Alcenia's followed really close by Doe's Eat Place
Biggest Disappointment - A&R - previously my favorite stop in Memphis - this time, not so!
Honorable Mention - McClards Tamale Pie, Stubby's Ham and beans
Surprise Moment - getting in to Family Pie Shop
Most Unique - Phillips Grocery (Holly Springs, MS)
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 14:52:49
An epic Roadfood adventure and an outstanding Roadfood report!  Loved every word and every picture!  (so impressed with Danny's contributions!)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 16:48:52
Great choices CTD!  Can't disagree with any of them. 
schlotz
Junior Burger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 16:53:16
As I was heading down to retrieve my car for the drive home Sunday morning, I ran into Cliff in the lobby.  He inquired about my drive back to Dallas and I told him I was planning to stop at Bryce's cafeteria in Texarkana on the way back.  He gave my choice his seal of approval adding that it could well be at the top in the cafeteria category.  So I was off, retracing Chester's easy exit from the hotel onto I-40 West.  Four hours later I was pulling into Bryce's parking lot.

I walked in behind a family that appeared to be coming from church, as did many of the patrons seated in the dining room.  The line had doubled back, so I had time to consider my choices...and there were so many.

Selections were promptly restored as they were taken

The staff joked around with me as I took some pics

Turkey and dressing was the Sunday special....and it was just the way I like it...

A juicy slice of turkey breast covered a moist mound of cornbread stuffing.  The luscious giblet gravy covered it all...
The cranberry sauce had a pleasant texture enhanced by small tart chunks of cranberry contrasting with the sweet cranberry base...
I added a jalepeno (peaking out from behind) to cut through some of the richness of the gravy...
Creamed potatoes and fried squash rounded out the sides, but each was excellent on it own.
The jalepeno cornbread had a crispy exterior but was moist and tender inside. 
Karo coconut pie completed the lunch with a toasted brown top and a flaky crust.  The filling was more akin to a pecan pie dense with coconut 
than the more common coconut cream pastry filling.

This was a delicious stop that I savored the rest of the way home!

Bryce's Cafeteria
2021 Mall Drive
Texarkana, TX
(903) 792-1611
post edited by schlotz - 2013/11/24 05:46:44
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 17:01:26
WOW!  Look at that pie selection!!!  I would of held up the line as I asked what each and every one was.  No doubt you were more considerate than that.  Thanks so much for adding your photos and descriptions Boyd.  You are a natural at this.  You should definitely post more often!  
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 17:14:37
OMG, those desserts! How in the world does one ever choose?! I think I'd just have to give up and do the old 'eenie, meenie, miinie, mo' routine.
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/23 18:39:46
schlotz:  Good heavens!!!!!!!!   The desserts, of course, look fantastic, and the hot line also looks like fun.  Bookmarking Bryce's.  Thanks for sharing your post-trip adventure!
ChiBears15
Hamburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/24 11:55:06
Hi guys,
Thank you all very much for the nice comments on my photos.  I had a great time reading/contributing to this thread.

Marion (mlm),
I really appreciate your kind words.  If you can, please try to make it out to one of the bus tours because you will have a memorable time.  As much as I can rave about the food, the lasting memory I will have from the Memphis/Arkansas tour will be the awesome people I met.  One more thing.  Hearing about others being TTM'd is hilarious, but having it actually happen to you is downright aggravating especially if you checked the hours in advance.  Take care.

Gregg and Cliff,
Your photos from The Four Way had me fooled.  The food actually looks quite tasty in the pics.  I am surprised none of the items stood out.  Your photography skills are superb! 

-Danny
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/24 21:53:19
Hi, Chibears 15 (Danny)
Hope you didn't think I was enjoying the fact that you got Travel Manned. I am neither a good traveler or a good driver, particularly, so if I make a trip to a specific restaurant, it **** well better be open or I am not going to be a happy camper. So I can just imagine your irritation driving around a big, unfamilar city only to find that your destination is closed when it's supposed to be open. I'm sure you took it better than I would have. I'm just glad you ran into BB and CTD so your last afternoon could be a pleasure instead of a drag. Next time, you go on a trip, you might check with the others, outlining your plans, so they can give you a whole bunch of good destinations if one fizzles. Especially on Sundays and holidays, I see from people's reports, that restaurants play pretty fast and loose with their hours even if you call and ask if they are going to be open. That Would just drive me up the stinking WALL. I believe either Davydd (sp) or Mayor Al has a really great blog about all kinds of places to eat. Anyway, my dear, I would never make fun of you or your mishaps. I just thought it was ironic that you got travel manned on your very first trip Talk about a baptism by fire. Take Care and God Bless.
Marion McClung
mlm
Cheeseburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/24 22:23:33
Danny, I just saw that your whole day on Sunday was pretty unsatisfactory before you ran into BB and CTD. Sigh. Sorry about that. Glad most of the trip was fun. Concerning that gravy, my guess is that they tried to stretch the roux by adding extra liquid. That burger looks cold, was it? I saw you were on foot too, rather than driving. Double bummer. You can only travel so far on foot. Just that much more aggravating when the BBQ place was closed. By the way, have you read many of Wandering Jew's reports yet? He walks for exercise and, judging from his reports, he can walk vast  distances. I can't. If you make many trips to the South, be sure to talk to BB and CajunKing, they seem to love the South and could tell you about a lot of good places, I bet.
     This  is only to make to make you laugh. I wonder if you've ever heard the phrase " you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince". Referring to the fairy tale, The Frog Prince, of course. Maybe you kissed enough frogs on that Sunday, so that now you're due to find a bunch of princes. I hope so. Some days I feel that I'm kissing a bunch of frogs but that's another story..... Take care.
schlotz
Junior Burger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/25 08:33:39
mlm - glad you enjoyed the pie pics...

love2bake - Bryce's is certainly now on my list too...

BB - glad to jump in...I certainly find it easier to add to continuing thread...than starting one on my own...
thanks for the encouragement
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/25 15:58:23
HOLY &%&%)

You would NEVER get BB or CTD (ok or me) out of this place until we tried them all.  Talk about Pie Coma.

We all LOVE being TTM'd it gives us another reason to break his chops some more.  You we love ya Steve.
asherzeats
Junior Burger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/26 21:01:29
I was on the Bus Trip and have some reviews I would love to share.  You can find them on my website www.AsherZeats.com.
I am dreaming about the Gus's Fried Chicken and the Woodpecker Pie
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/27 07:46:22
Really nice stuff!!!  Great job and welcome to the Roadfood posting!  Any chance we get the two of you to name your favorite stops in the categories buffetbuster used a few posts ago?  Would be nice to see you guys choices!  Any new reviews for Thanksgiving? 
Rocky Enfield
Hamburger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/27 16:43:13
Buffetbuster and others,

I will be going to Cabot, Arkansas (just north of Little Rock) December 28th to Jan 1.  I will be with my wife, kids and other family members (who are not quite the food enthusiasts that I am).  If you could recommend one stop in the Little Rock area what would it be?
Thanks,
Rocky Enfield
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/27 16:51:52
Great to hear from you Rocky! Without a doubt, Doe's would be my first choice. It is an all-time Roadfood great! But, it is much more expensive than the typical Roadfood restaurant.

Wanderinjew swears by a catfish restaurant in Jacksonville, AR, I believe it is called Crooked Hook, but I have never been there myself. Maybe he can tell you more.

Still hoping to get to Heinnie's soon.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/27 16:53:29
Asher, welcome to Roadfood. Thanks for attaching the link. I love the title "Don't be a shmoe, go to Doe's!"
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/11/27 16:55:00
asherzeats
Junior Burger
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/28 13:53:32
Here are my picks :
 Best BBQ - Interstate BBQ
 Best Pie - Ms. Lena's
 Best Overall - The Cozy Corner
 Biggest Disappointment - Ed and Kay's. To simple.
 Honorable Mention - Gus' Fried Chicken
 Surprise Moment - The Texas Toast at Doe's Eat Place
 Most Unique - Ms. Lena's 

Here are my Dad's:
Best BBQ - Cozy Corner
Best Pie Ms. Lena's
Best Overall Gus’s
Biggest Disappointment Central BBQ
Honorable Mention Doe's Eat Place
Surprise Moment - The Unexpected Pie Stop
Most Unique - Ms. Lena's

Have a Great Thanksgiving!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/28 14:01:29
Excellent! Thanks so much Asher.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/29 08:46:55
Great list...interesting to see everyone's choices. 

BTW - I liked the Texas Toast also and was dipping it in the shrimp garlic butter.  I had a ready supply as the guy next to me kept finishing bowl after bowl of the grilled shrimp! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/29 21:54:25
I am back in Memphis for a few days. My girlfriend has never been here before, so food-wise, I am trying to take her to the best food possible, along with some things she has never tried before.

She loves fried chicken, so Gus's was our first stop in town. It was a huge hit with her and after we split an order of four pieces dark meat, she wanted three more, which she quickly dispatched.

Payne's was next as the pork bbq sandwich, with plenty of crunchy outside meat and cool, mustardy slaw, was spectacular. Equally as good was the smoked sausage sandwich.

I liked the barbecue pizza at Coletta's more than she did, but she loved the barbecue salad, especially with the homemade Thousand Island and blue cheese dressings.

Not feeling well, she decided to stay in, rather than go out for dinner. Not wanting to go far, I chose Leonard's as it was less than ten minutes from the hotel. Bad choice, because the meal was dreadful. The half slab of ribs fell easily off the bone (which is not my preference) and was way too hard to chew. 7:30 on a Friday night and the place was mostly empty.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2013/11/29 21:57:11
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/29 22:05:55
buffetbuster

Can't believe you're back in Memphis...I thought you were going to stay in Nashville for the duration of your trip.

Glad to here you enjoyed Paynes (and Coletta's) again 

Sorry to hear that Leonard's sucked as much as I remembered..... 

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:2013 Roadfood Bus Tour Memphis/Arkansas 2013/11/29 22:08:55
We are in Memphis for two days before driving to Chattanooga for two more days. I have had some very good meals previously at Leonard's, as long as I ordered off the menu, but not tonight.
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7