Favorite BBQ Sauce

3 Olives
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Reward points : 0
Favorite BBQ Sauce - Wed, 10/23/13 5:48 PM
What's your favorite BBQ Sauce? I like a lot of sauces but Bone Suckin' is my favorite.

tcrouzer
  • Total Posts : 430
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Wed, 10/23/13 6:23 PM
You have good taste, 3 olives! I love Bone Suckin' also, and we're so lucky to have it readily available in our state.

This past summer I went on a baked BBQ chicken marathon - made it about once a week for a couple of months. But, I started making my own sauce, from scratch, a little different each time = BBQ chicken heaven!

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Wed, 10/23/13 6:27 PM
For me it's definitely the ambrosial sauce found at the Ridgewood BBQ in Bluff City TN. I've never tasted any other quite like it.

ROHfan
  • Total Posts : 89
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Wed, 10/23/13 7:28 PM
I will agree that Bone Suckin' is near the top for me, as well. However, I've finally found the BBQ sauce for chicken that I've been looking for my whole life: Rub Some Butt Carolina Style BBQ Sauce. I've been grilling and Q-ing for 40 of my 49 years on this planet and THIS is the one!

I had some bone-in breasts on the charcoal a few nights ago, rubbed with Bone Suckin' Rub and with some hickory chips on the coals, and applied the sauce liberally during the last 15 minutes of cooking. The whole family loved it and we finished half a bottle of the sauce in one sitting! It has this yummy, savory flavor that's to die for, but it's not overly mustard-y and has a nice sweetness to it. It's almost like a honey mustard, but different, and obviously made for Q with equal flavors of mustard, sugar and vinegar. In a word, perfection!

If anyone else has tried this sauce, let me know. Would love to hear opinions. (No, I don't work for the company:)

myterry2
  • Total Posts : 526
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Thu, 10/24/13 12:08 AM
My BBQ sauce made from scratch....cook time 10 hrs in a slow cooker...then refriged for 12 plus hours...then reheated.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3705
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Thu, 10/24/13 9:13 AM
This!

On a recent food show Rodney Scott said:

"You don't put vinegar on beef or ketchup on pork".

I couldn't agree more!

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1056
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Thu, 10/24/13 10:07 AM
Same here. I don't use no stinkin' sauce.

Davebassman
  • Total Posts : 116
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Thu, 10/24/13 11:39 AM
I'm with MetroplexJim!......http://scottsbarbecuesauce.com/
Scotts!

phlmaestro
  • Total Posts : 345
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Thu, 10/24/13 12:43 PM
I usually make my own, but recently, a colleague passed along a jar of Arthur Bryant's sauce, and that stuff is unbelievably strong; not sweet, and not overly hot.; just packed with flavor.
I also like Bone-Suckin' sauce if I don't have time to make my own and want something a little sweet.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Thu, 10/24/13 6:05 PM
Roadhouse - Hot, Sweet & Tangy
or
Roadhouse - Southwest

Some mighty fine sauces.  I have enjoyed every flavor they offer.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6228
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Thu, 10/24/13 6:10 PM
I make my own.  Always with chipotle peppers in adobo as an ingredient, I like the smokiness and heat and I don't like sweet.

Big Frank
  • Total Posts : 134
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Thu, 10/24/13 6:58 PM
Dreamland and Williamson Brothers

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2015
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Thu, 10/24/13 11:14 PM
lleechef

I make my own.  Always with chipotle peppers in adobo as an ingredient, I like the smokiness and heat and I don't like sweet.

I don't like sweet either or 'honey' BBQ sauces.       I bought a Cattleman sauce a couple months ago.  It was great and had lots of spices. I could see large specks of pepper in it.    It was labeled as 'Southern'.   I used it up and thew the bottle away.    When I went to get more the store shelf was empty.  I was told by the store, it was a limited edition sauce.     ... Cattlemans is unable to tell what the sauce was.

I also like Williamson Brothers as Big Frank pointed out.   I do add a little extra cider vinegar and a lot of black pepper.

marteenhook
  • Total Posts : 35
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 11/15/13 1:30 AM
I like prepare my own BBQ sauce. I mostly use molasses, black pepper. Tabasco sauce,  prepared yellow mustard  to make my BBQ sauce.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2932
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 11/15/13 9:24 AM
Dinosaur. I can't make a sauce that good.

OxDawg
  • Total Posts : 51
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 11/15/13 9:53 AM
Williamson Brothers is very good and is made to be put on almost any kind of meat.
Jomax BBQ in Millen Ga. also has a good sauce.
Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson Ga. at one time also had a very good sauce for pork.

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4723
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 11/15/13 10:00 AM
CajunKing

Roadhouse - Hot, Sweet & Tangy
or
Roadhouse - Southwest

Some mighty fine sauces.  I have enjoyed every flavor they offer.
Desert Sunset's a good one, too.

I don't buy sauce too often because I generally receive enough as gifts to keep the cupboard stocked, but if I do I buy Stubb's locally and Head Country when I'm in Arkansas.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 11/15/13 1:46 PM
Actually, it's "Southern Sunset", our tribute to the Southern Style, vinegar based sauces.

But I do like the name "Desert Sunset".  Now I have to create a new sauce to go along with it.  Hmm, anyone up for a cactus based Barbecue Sauce?

Buddy

P.S.  When not using my own sauces, I'm partial to "Blues Hog Tennessee Red Sauce" or their 'Honey Mustard" Sauce.

B.

p.p.s. When not using their own sauces, the guys over at Blues Hog are partial to my sauces.  We've got an ongoing mutual admiration society.

b.

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4723
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 11/15/13 1:52 PM
Oops, sorry about that...I guess that's why Google couldn't find it for me!

Recently I visited the ginormous Bass Pro store in Branson, MO and found some Arthur Bryant's, but at $8 a bottle I had to pass.
<message edited by ScreamingChicken on Fri, 11/15/13 1:53 PM>

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 11/15/13 3:14 PM
Budreaux - Agave based sweetness, with a takillya kick, with a rich adobe or chipotle kick, I am liking Desert Sunset already

Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 331
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 11/15/13 4:46 PM
More often than not I make my own, even my white sauce, but when I don't I kind of like Bulls Eye's offerings. They have quite a decent line of sauces (Memphis, Carolina, Kansas City and original) and they're pretty tasty. I also like that they don't have high fructose corn syrup in them. That's always a deal breaker with me. 

Tumbleweed365
  • Total Posts : 178
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 11/15/13 5:15 PM
I'm with CK, I love the Roadhouse sauce !

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Sat, 11/16/13 12:27 AM
Hiya Kath!  Nice to hear from you.  Everything good in the Queen City?  Hope to see you next time I'm down your way (jjjrfoodie and TJ Jackson too).  Heck, I just hope I get chance to get down your way, period.

Buddy

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Sat, 11/16/13 12:02 PM
I pass on all the mustard based sauces...just not a fan of the finely chopped-slaw mixed Carolina pre-sauced BBQ.
Bryants is good, Roadhouse, the samples I tried I liked, but don't have locally available.

I prefer any sauce to be a last minute brush on during the charring stage of the meat cooking, then a dipping cup of hot (temperature) sauce beside the 'Naked Meat'

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Sat, 11/16/13 3:04 PM
BuddyRoadhouse

Actually, it's "Southern Sunset", our tribute to the Southern Style, vinegar based sauces.

But I do like the name "Desert Sunset".  Now I have to create a new sauce to go along with it.  Hmm, anyone up for a cactus based Barbecue Sauce?

Buddy

Put some green chili peppers in that new "Desert Sunset".

rbright
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Thu, 11/21/13 6:01 AM
I once tried Sphincter Shrinker sauce...never again. Since that day, I just go for standard HP sauce with a honey blend. That is if I actually use sauce at all - steak is better without.

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1448
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Mon, 12/2/13 10:02 PM
Dinosaur BBQ Sensuous Slathering Sauce is my favorite.
I was recently given a couple bottles of Scotts Red Hot, haven't had a chance to try it yet.

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Wed, 12/4/13 8:05 AM
Cosmos
Dinosaur BBQ Sensuous Slathering Sauce is my favorite.

I think I've mentioned it already, but I'm too lazy to look backwards. I have found that the Dinosaur is pretty much the lowest in sugar of any mass marketed non-artificially sweetened barbecue sauce, which is sufficient to make it my sauce of choice.

Bart

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1931
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 5:20 AM
Cosmos

I was recently given a couple bottles of Scotts Red Hot, haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Scott's is one of my all time favorites.  What a great sauce -- but be prepared, it's a palate-blaster.

MellowRoast
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 5:21 AM
Cosmos

Scott's is one of my all time favorites.  But be prepared -- it's a palate-blaster.

JayL
  • Total Posts : 213
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 8:44 AM
I keep a bottle of Scott's on hand even though I make my own.  I've never heard of a Scott's "Red Hot".  Maybe you're talking about a different Scott's.  Mine is a vinegar sauce made in Goldsboro, NC.

MellowRoast
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 9:38 AM
It's the same sauce.   The label says "Red Hot" near the top of the label, with the words spread out: red on the left, hot on the right.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3572
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 9:58 AM
I've been using Sweet Baby Ray's as a base to make my own sauces. Now, with my diet, though, sauce has been sacrificed temporarily. yesterday I smoked a rack of baby backs in my Traeger with a dry rub. Last night I went through a ton of recipes trying to find a low fat, low sugar BBQ sauce. I think I'm gonna try and make my own because I can't seem to find a decent one or recipe. 

JayL
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 10:54 AM
MellowRoast

It's the same sauce.   The label says "Red Hot" near the top of the label, with the words spread out: red on the left, hot on the right.

Yep, it does.  In 40 years I have never even noticed that.  LoL

I grew up with Scott's and it is a good pantry item. 

I don't consider it hot, but can understand most people would. 

JayL
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 10:58 AM
EdSails

I've been using Sweet Baby Ray's as a base to make my own sauces. Now, with my diet, though, sauce has been sacrificed temporarily. yesterday I smoked a rack of baby backs in my Traeger with a dry rub. Last night I went through a ton of recipes trying to find a low fat, low sugar BBQ sauce. I think I'm gonna try and make my own because I can't seem to find a decent one or recipe. 

Pro Tip:

If you find a recipe that you think you'll like, don't worry if it calls for fat, oil, or sugar.  Make it without the offending ingredients.  If I ever look at sauce recipes, it's usually for ideas rather than a specific list of things to dump in a pot.  Take the basic premiss of a recipe and modify it as you please. 

Best of luck to you.

EdSails
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 11:42 AM
JayL

EdSails

Pro Tip:

If you find a recipe that you think you'll like, don't worry if it calls for fat, oil, or sugar.  Make it without the offending ingredients.  If I ever look at sauce recipes, it's usually for ideas rather than a specific list of things to dump in a pot.  Take the basic premiss of a recipe and modify it as you please. 

Best of luck to you.

That's the way I cook, which is why I said I looked at a ton of recipes. What I'm trying to find is what I can substitute for the brown sugar, molasses, etc. without sacrificing flavor. I usually look at a lot of recipes so I can take the best elements  (such as a particular herb, spice or technique) and combine them to create my own.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6093
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 12:31 PM
EdSails

JayL

EdSails

Pro Tip:

Best of luck to you.

That's the way I cook, which is why I said I looked at a ton of recipes. What I'm trying to find is what I can substitute for the brown sugar, molasses, etc. without sacrificing flavor. I usually look at a lot of recipes so I can take the best elements  (such as a particular herb, spice or technique) and combine them to create my own.

ED, try fresh Pineapple or Orange juice as a substitute!

EdSails
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 2:01 PM
chewingthefat

EdSails

JayL

EdSails

Pro Tip:

Best of luck to you.

Thanks, Chewy!

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 2:12 PM
Sauce? We don't need no stinkin sauce!

collinf
  • Total Posts : 159
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 2:33 PM
I have two local favorites, and I like them equally.  Gates BBQ sauce and Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ sauce are both tangy, some zing to the flavor, and not too sweet.  I know Kansas City is known for its sweat sauces, but I don't like BBQ sauce to be overly sweet.  Consequently, I do not like KC Masterpiece sauce.

kevincad
  • Total Posts : 399
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 2:34 PM
EdSails

chewingthefat

EdSails

JayL

EdSails

Pro Tip:

Best of luck to you.

Thanks, Chewy!

Indeed, there's alot out there in the way of fruit types of bbq sauces. Perhaps this one?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/guava-barbeque-sauce/

EdSails
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Fri, 01/10/14 2:49 PM
Twinwillow

It certainly was interesting smoking the pork baby backs on Wednesday. They were definitely flavorful with the dry rub I concocted, but it would have been nice to have some barbecue sauce to dip them in too. 
Even at Joel's BBQ in Flatonia, Texas, they put a little sauce on the brisket sandwich. Maybe you do things different in the big city?

kevincad, that sauce does sound delicious. Thanks!

thefoodguy
  • Total Posts : 44
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Wed, 01/22/14 5:08 PM
Hi Gang..aint been round here in a spell.

couldnt resist chiming in though..

My favorite "bottled sauce" if I had to choose would be "Sticky Fingers"(carolina sweet style, they have others).
It IS a sweeter sauce.. a little zingy, not smoky or vinager-y.. very awesome IMO.
(for  reference -sweet baby rays was my goto bottled sauce..but this Sticky fingers is my new "baby" sorry Ray. ;) )

I'd give it a try..if I were..me..or anyone.
T

MellowRoast
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Wed, 01/22/14 5:41 PM
If I were going to use a sauce (most often I don't), I would use Scott's Red Hot, Bishop's 3 'N' 1 Stuff, Calhoun's, or Stick Fingers Tennessee Whiskey.  If I use one, it's for dipping on the side or drizzling -- not immersing or smothering.  

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Wed, 01/22/14 6:17 PM
EdSails

Twinwillow

It certainly was interesting smoking the pork baby backs on Wednesday. They were definitely flavorful with the dry rub I concocted, but it would have been nice to have some barbecue sauce to dip them in too. 
Even at Joel's BBQ in Flatonia, Texas, they put a little sauce on the brisket sandwich. Maybe you do things different in the big city?

kevincad, that sauce does sound delicious. Thanks!

Ed, that BBQ sandwich looks delicious! Actually, they do use sauce in "Big D". It's mostly in Central Texas that sauce is generally eschewed.

Personally, I've always enjoyed a little well made sweet ketchup based sauce or a Carolina style vinegar based sauce as a condiment with my BBQ.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:Favorite BBQ Sauce - Wed, 01/22/14 6:39 PM
collinf

I have two local favorites, and I like them equally.  Gates BBQ sauce and Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ sauce are both tangy, some zing to the flavor, and not too sweet.  I know Kansas City is known for its sweat sauces, but I don't like BBQ sauce to be overly sweet.  Consequently, I do not like KC Masterpiece sauce.

gates hot was always my favorite, along with AB's.