Hot!The Perfect Roasting Pan

Sirloin
2013/10/25 13:11:34
Last night I roasted a chicken for dinner.  Coat the chicken with softened butter, add salt and pepper and whatever seasonings you like, throw it in a pan, add some chicken broth out of a box and into the oven.  I baste it about every 10 mins. after the first half-hour.  Super easy.  It was the most beautiful chicken, an even golden brown all over.  This had nothing whatsoever to do with skill on my part.  It's the roasting pan!!!! I don't know what it is about these pans, but every chicken, duck, turkey, pork roast, etc. comes out looking like a picture in a magazine.  It's called Granite Ware.  And they're cheap!  I have an 18" ($17) and a 15" ($12). 
The chicken was also delicious!
http://www.kitchenandcompany.com/cookware/roasters-and-broiler-pans/_/Granite-Ware-15-Roaster-with-Lid?tc=gfs13&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Granite%20Ware%2015%22%20Roaster%20with%20Lid&gclid=CKCui625sroCFYpDMgodnCsAHg 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 13:18:09
Yeah, the chicken was gorgeous. It looked like a cover shot for Bon Appetit.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 13:36:09
Is this a "heavy" pan , like Le Creuset, or more light weight?

Buddy
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 13:44:29
Oh, they're super light weight.  That's one of my big complaints about Le Creuset.  Even when they're empty, they're heavy.  I roasted a chicken once in my Le Creuset dutch oven.  Not even close to the one I made last night.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 15:01:42
I remember my grandmother having a roasting pan that looked just like yours.  And, it produced excellent results.

You are right about Le Creuset:  very heavy.  But, you didn't mention that it is also strictly hand wash.  And, extremely expensive: about 20 times the price of yours.

We use our Le Creuset for big batches of spaghetti sauce, chile, and boeuf à la Bourguignonne.

(BTW: small cubes of turnip are a wonderful addition to more complex recipes for BB - they absorb the flavor while not breaking down with the lengthy cook-time).
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 15:17:31
Buddy, Jim - I have a Le Creuset 5.5q that I just love for roasting.  Heavy, great heat distribution, cleans up like a champ.  Great results every time for me.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 15:23:06
MJ
Two years ago MH asked me what I wanted for Christmas.  I said, a Le Creuset oval dutch oven.  So he gets on the Internet and SCREAMS from the other room, "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THESE THINGS COST???"  To which I replied, "Yes, I know.  That's why I never bought myself one."  Well, it was under the Christmas tree that year.  I love it for lamb shanks, short ribs, BB, Moroccan lamb stew (couscous in France)  and a lot of other "stewey" dishes.  Not good for roasting.
BTW:  We love turnips!  When they look especially nice at the store I plan a meal around them. 
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 17:01:12
Granite ware has been around for AGES, my mom always had a turkey roaster she loved, I have a decent sized soup pot that is granite ware and I love it.  I have several sizes of "pots" and roasters.  I love them.
BelleReve
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 17:14:44
My mom had something like that pan she cooked turkey in, even gumbo, just placed it between two burners. 

edwmax
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 18:20:34
I've been using those for years.    ...  These don't need to be heavy since they are not normally used on the stove top, over direct flame.     These are roasting pans and saves a lot of tin foil.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 18:30:49
I didn't suddenly "discover" Granite Ware........my mother had a huge one that she only used for her 25 lb. turkey at Thanksgiving.  She also had a smaller one.  Once the turkey was transferred to the cutting board to carve, she made the gravy in that roaster.  I did that last night to make gravy for the chicken.   
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 18:33:47
lleechef

MJ
Two years ago MH asked me what I wanted for Christmas.  I said, a Le Creuset oval dutch oven.  So he gets on the Internet and SCREAMS from the other room, "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THESE THINGS COST???"  To which I replied, "Yes, I know.  That's why I never bought myself one."  Well, it was under the Christmas tree that year.  I love it for lamb shanks, short ribs, BB, Moroccan lamb stew (couscous in France)  and a lot of other "stewey" dishes.  Not good for roasting.
BTW:  We love turnips!  When they look especially nice at the store I plan a meal around them. 

I had the same reaction when Princess Metro bought one.  Being an economist I always think in terms of opportunity cost and said "that thing costs more than some stoves".  Then I shut up, thinking to myself "but it's a helluva lot less than most of her purses".
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 18:42:45
MJ
Funny you should mention purses......I just showed MH a Coach purse that I want for Christmas.  And yes, it's more than the Le Creuset.   Princess Metro and I would get along very well. 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/25 21:07:55
I've had one of those for years. Never knew what it was called. I just always called it "The Porcelain Roasting Pan"
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/26 07:09:32
Foodbme

I've had one of those for years. Never knew what it was called. I just always called it "The Porcelain Roasting Pan"

Le Creuset is the brand name for the French manufacturer.  After we got ours at their local 'factory outlet' (only 20% off their sky-high retail) I see knock-offs at Costco and Sam's for 25% of what we paid for essentially the same thing.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2013/10/26 07:19:31
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/26 08:48:36
lleechef

MJ
Funny you should mention purses......I just showed MH a Coach purse that I want for Christmas.  And yes, it's more than the Le Creuset.   Princess Metro and I would get along very well. 

Leechef:  you remind me of Roz now regarding the purse thing.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/26 08:59:19
I have my Mom's granite ware roaster and love it. My chickens, turkeys and even pot roasts always turn out beautifully. And I put it right on the burner to make gravy after the meat is removed. Just as Mom taught me....
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/26 11:36:58

Paul,
We can never have too many expensive purses or shoes!
post edited by lleechef - 2013/10/26 11:40:08
KarenAnn
Junior Burger
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/28 15:20:04
As you can tell by my post count, I rarely have something to contribute. However, I am totally with you in endorsing this pan. My mom has a larger size and a smaller one. She won't get rid of them for ANY other pan - expensive or not. Last winter, I witnessed it in use. She threw a chuck roast in the bottom (no pre-browning). I proceeded to watch her sprinkle on some random Penzey spice blend, take left over V8 juice (about 1/3 of a bottle), add some water to that, and toss it in over the roast. I remember telling her the result would be disappointing. It was anything but! The resulting meat and juice could have been perfectly browned and seared short ribs bubbling in a thick, rich tomato gravy at the best restaurant in town. I was amazed. I'm sure she purchased these YEARS ago at a hardware store, or at good old Mills Fleet Farm in Germantown WI.
hatteras04
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/28 20:14:14
This is probably a stupid question but do you roast with the lid on or off?
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/28 20:25:16
KarenAnn
You need to post more often!  I'm going to do my next chuck roast in that pan.
hatteras
In the case of chicken it do it lid off the whole time since it's done in an hour.  For turkey I do lid off on high heat the first 1/2 hour.  Then lid on (heat turned down) for the bulk of the cooking time (depends on the size of the turkey).  Then lid off the last 1/2 hour, again on high, to get that nice golden brown all over. 
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 09:43:44
Thanks so much for sharing this ! I have been looking for a good roasting pan and was thinking about springing for one of the really expensive models. Now that I see this,  I remember my mom cooking in one also - now on the Christmas list!!!
KarenAnn
Junior Burger
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 10:15:52
In the case of the chuck roast, it was lid on. I can't tell you how amazed I was by the deeply crusted and tender meat - and the rich sauce created by watered down V8 juice!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 13:58:21
TTCT
You are very welcome!  I have never endorsed a product on Roadfood and I figured a lot of you already had one of these roasting pans.....but for those that did not...... it was just a suggestion.  And only because they work so well!
KarenAnn
I am going to try that chuck roast this weekend!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 15:19:48
I just got a catalogue from Sur la Table in today's mail.  They have a Mauviel roaster, no lid, (from France......I never heard of it) on SALE for $170.  I think I'll use my Granite Ware!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 15:39:31
lleechef 

I think I'll use my Granite Ware!

Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 15:49:13
It's still only HALF the price of that Coach bag!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 16:06:52
lleechef

It's still only HALF the price of that Coach bag!

What a hint
Sorta reminds me of some that I have hearing lately.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
edwmax
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 16:55:03
My granite ware pans have been shown here before and I still use them.   I have two 18 inch pans (abt $10); 12 inch pan (abt $7); and one that is a little smaller pan.  As well as two large granite ware canners (aka: stock pot/soup kettle/ chicken&rice for the crowd)

So these are older photos.
Briskets:  

Also, the insert of this elect. roaster is the same as granite ware. I have three of these. This is what I used for the past 2 Thanksgivings & Christmases    I did two turkeys in this one.

post edited by edwmax - 2013/10/29 16:59:08
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 18:03:44
That awesome, even golden brown color is what I was talking about!!  Beautiful pictures! 
edwmax
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 18:39:31
I don't like a heavy smoke flavor.  The briskets and the turkey smoked on the grill foe 1 1/2 hrs. Then placed into the roasters to finish.     The grill had about 12  briquette and pecan wood.

The briskets after putting into the roaster, I don't open again for abt 3 hrs.   Those in the picture above, the coals died about 2 or 2 1/2 hrs. The temp that nigh went down to 28 degs.  I just left the briskets covered on the grill.   You can see cold fat on the broth.

The Turkeys were put into the roaster and the temp set at 150 - 160 deg. The next morning, I turned the temp up to 180-190 deg and started basting about every 30 min or so.    This made the color get darker and was done in another 2 hr.   The temp was turned down to warm.   ... These roaster pans are self basting, because of dripping from the lids while cooking.  So basting is not necessary unless you want a darker color.     ... Man this was so easy for Thanksgiving giving! ...

... of course, lleechef, I know you already knew that ...
post edited by edwmax - 2013/10/29 18:48:13
mar52
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 18:42:56
Edwmax, Beautiful!

Lisa, I'd love to see some of your meals. 

Ask for a camera inside of the Coach Bag!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 20:10:10
mar
Ya know, you read my mind.  I'm going to ask Santa for a camera too!!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 20:29:09
Fantastic!  Can't wait!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 20:30:27
Now, just one damn minute!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 20:41:18
Two against one..........you lose!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/29 20:46:40
Not me. Santa loses.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/30 00:23:28
" />  Camera, Camera, Camera!

And a Coach Bag.
pnwchef
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/30 09:42:51
Lisa, if you leave it up to OLD Santa, you may get something like this. You know how "up to date" OLD Santa is !!!!!!!

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:The Perfect Roasting Pan 2013/10/30 11:36:24
Bill
You're probably right.  I'll just take his credit card and go buy one myself!