Breakfast By The Sea

Cheeseburger
2013/10/27 13:28:36
I just returned from a business trip to Fort Lauderdale.  While I didn't have opportunity to try many RF type places as other food options--friends' homecooked dinners/business lunches abounded.  But I did manage to squeeze in a nice burger from the Brickyard  in Daytona Beach (sorry no pictures as camera refused to charge up) and a couple of nice breakfasts on the way to meetings.

The Brickyard burger came out superb.  Medium with nice pink inside, thick (1/2 inch?), fresh tomato and lettuce and brown mustard.  The small tasting of coleslaw was rough chopped cabbage some carrots in a light vinegar based dressing.  The fries were very thin but okay.  Washed down with a draft of Florida Lager (out of Melbourne) which I was surprised to see on tap given the Brickyard is covered with Bud and Coors logos.  A good choice for a quick meal after a long drive.
One morning, on the way from FLL to Boca Raton, I pulled into my fav donut shop Dandee Donuts on East Atlantic Blvd.

As you can see the sun's not quite up yet and the lot is full.  
I usually get a sourcream cake donut (left) which is my fav, and one other...This time I spied a walnut cruller.  It was chocolate batter inside and must have been sitting in the case a while as it was very dry and I didn't finish it, even stuck in traffic.

crew84row
Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/10/27 13:48:30
On Friday, I headed all the way down to the beach on Commercial Blvd for a good diner breakfast at Diner-By-The-Sea.

It's 7AM and only two counter seats open.  One just you walk in and in front of the grill, the other at the opening between the two counters.  I chose the  2nd as there wasn't enough room for the grill cook to work and the waitress to serve me at the first stool.  She was starting an order of their home fried potatoes and I knew they'd have to be in my order.  But I couldn't decide between biscuits or pancakes and since biscuits weren't included on other egg combos of interest, I went with the 2-2-2 breakfast.  2 eggs, 2 sausage/bacon (I had the patties)and 2 pancakes.

Notice the Original Log Cabin Syrup.
Now the pancakes were thin, almost crepes, which was good by me as I don't think I could have eaten 2 thick ones.  They readily absorbed the syrup without having to lift and pour again. 
That yellow pool on the eggs is the real butter they are cooked in.  The homefries were great.  The coffee was just okay.  But I didn't mind as I had already had 2 Hampton Inn Robust coffees before arriving.  I definitely recommend Diner-By-The-Sea for breakfast.  They do serve dinner where the menu changes to a German menu with wurst and sauerkraut and other things.  The staff was friendly and welcoming.  I think it's family ran. 

FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/10/27 15:26:33
Wish I had known about that when I had my place on 32nd!.....but there was a nice Cuban place around the corner that had a good, if limited breakfast menu...and of course, GREAT, STRONG!!!! Coffee
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/10/27 16:13:41
The Brickyard is by far my favorite in Daytona.  Roz and I have done it a few times and always very very good.

paul E. smith
Knoxville, TN
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/10/28 19:03:41
Yum!
crew84row
Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/10/30 09:20:10
And it was too!    Thank you.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/10/30 09:42:08
Great report! Hey, are you a rower? Just headed out the door to the gym for a 10K on the Concept2.
crew84row
Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/10/30 10:33:41
Pancho

Great report! Hey, are you a rower? Just headed out the door to the gym for a 10K on the Concept2.

Yep...but it takes me around 44 minutes to do a 10k these days as I only stroke about a 20-22 spm average (drag factor ~120). Can't hold above 24 long (maybe 28 on 500 repeats) with any power.  Still have nearly 14million meters logged on the erg.
Row strong today P.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/10/30 10:48:15
crew84row

Pancho

Yep...but it takes me around 44 minutes to do a 10k these days as I only stroke about a 20-22 spm average (drag factor ~120). Can't hold above 24 long (maybe 28 on 500 repeats) with any power.  Still have nearly 14million meters logged on the erg.
Row strong today P.
Cool...that's about where I am. I'm limited with my stroke as I had a total knee replacement and am just getting over a total quadriceps tendon rupture on the other leg. My max ROM on both is about 115. My spm is around 30 with that shorter stroke. I log my meters on the C2 site and have about 7 mil less than you. Best 2K time was at an event here called the Mid-Winter Meltdown (sponsored by C2 for Boston quals)...did a 7:01.2...not great, but I'm pushing 70.

ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/10/30 12:09:15
Diner By-The-Sea serves my kind of breakfast! How were the sausage patties? So many places use national/foodservice brands these days but every so often it's possible to find one that uses a local product.
crew84row
Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/10/30 12:38:15
Pancho, 

So we don't keep chewing scenery over exercise rather than food, email me ar 2scull4@gmail.com and we can take this up on a one to one.  BTW I'd love to have a 7:01 2K
crew84row
Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/10/30 12:41:48
ScreamingChicken

Diner By-The-Sea serves my kind of breakfast! How were the sausage patties? So many places use national/foodservice brands these days but every so often it's possible to find one that uses a local product.

I'm going out on a limb and saying "JimmyDean" mild.  To their credit though I didn't see "Sysco"
products, all store brands so I'd guess they just refresh at the local Sam's or WalMart for some items at least.
Neesie
Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/11/01 17:03:58
I'll bet Diner by the Sea is the old Louie's Diner.  We used to take my kids there all the time when we vacationed in Lauderdale by the Sea.  (mid 80's-2000's).  The last time we were in the area it was closed, Louie had retired.  We heard he owned all the businesses on that block!  The place brings back so many memories.  My husband will be in the area next week and I just know he's going to check it out.  What a surprise to see it here today.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/11/04 13:10:51
Really nice report crew84row!  I like the looks of the Diner By-The-Sea.  Interesting that they have a German menu at night.  I wonder if you can get bratwurst or a different German sausage with your breakfast
crew84row
Cheeseburger
Re:Breakfast By The Sea 2013/11/04 15:59:02
buffetbuster

Really nice report crew84row!  I like the looks of the Diner By-The-Sea.  Interesting that they have a German menu at night.  I wonder if you can get bratwurst or a different German sausage with your breakfast

Interesting question BB.  didn't see either listed, but they did have a large menu for lunch and breakfast.  I bet if asked they might have produced.