Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3576
  • Reward points : 0
Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Wed, 10/30/13 12:11 PM
Irv's has been around since just after WWII. A sad day for Angelenos.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-irvs-burgers-20131030,0,146999.story#axzz2jDnDbQ00

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4726
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Wed, 10/30/13 12:14 PM
Fortunately it sounds as if Irv's might have a future at a new location.  Good luck to Sonia and her family!

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9787
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Wed, 10/30/13 2:41 PM
It's a shame it has come to this, but the important thing is that the Hong's are able to stay in business and keep Irv's going.  Sonia will make anyplace she hangs her hat a special place to visit.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Wed, 10/30/13 2:50 PM
Hope this story has a happy ending for Sonia. (get your minds out of the gutter) At least the Apple Pan is still open and going strong. It was my favorite burger joint when I lived in LA during the late 60's.

EdSails
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Wed, 10/30/13 4:42 PM
I hope it has a happy ending too. It's just sad that unlike their present location, they'll probably just be relegated to a site in a strip mall.

Glenn1234
  • Total Posts : 509
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Wed, 10/30/13 6:11 PM

Noooooooo!    First, the Wheel Inn,  .. Now Irv's!!   .... Just before our visit to SoCal in a month from now.     

BuffettBuster, that looks like a College of William and Mary logo on the shirt drawn on the plate.   Is it?   Janet and I are graduates of  W&M.

Glenn

buffetbuster
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Thu, 11/7/13 3:14 PM
Glenn1234-
Yes, I was wearing my William & Mary t-shirt that day, so it ended up in the drawing.  Great school!  That is a shame that these classic places will be closed, but luckily Southern California has so much great food......

Glenn1234
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Thu, 11/7/13 6:00 PM
buffetbuster

Glenn1234-
Yes, I was wearing my William & Mary t-shirt that day, so it ended up in the drawing.  Great school!  That is a shame that these classic places will be closed, but luckily Southern California has so much great food......

Buffetbuster -  Are you a W&M grad, as well?   Or, like I do, you wear shirts from other colleges?   As a TarHeels basketball fan, I probably have more UNC clothing than W&M clothing, even though I never attended UNC.    Anyway, in case you went to W&M, for timeframe reference, Janet and I graduated from W&M back in the Reagan era.  

Glenn

<message edited by Glenn1234 on Thu, 11/7/13 9:39 PM>

buffetbuster
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Thu, 11/7/13 6:06 PM
You guessed correctly, I am one of those people who likes to visits college bookstores wherever I go, picking up a t-shirt or sweatshirt.  Today, work attire was an East Carolina hoodie.  I can tell you that the William & Mary t-shirt gets just about as many comments as any. 

Glenn1234
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Thu, 11/7/13 9:49 PM
buffetbuster

I can tell you that the William & Mary t-shirt gets just about as many comments as any. 

I'm surprised to hear that.   Outside of VA and nearby surrounding states, a lot of people have never even heard of W&M.  Good to hear that W&M is getting recognition. 

Glenn

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Thu, 11/7/13 10:29 PM
Glenn1234

buffetbuster

I can tell you that the William & Mary t-shirt gets just about as many comments as any. 

I'm surprised to hear that.   Outside of VA and nearby surrounding states, a lot of people have never even heard of W&M.  Good to hear that W&M is getting recognition. 

Glenn

William is that Jes...... NEVERMIND!      I don't need to be saying any more Hail Mary's than I already have to.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7599
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Thu, 11/7/13 11:11 PM
My cousins went to W&M in the late '70s so I've heard of it. That and because it's the second university in the United States. 

I've never been to Irv's.  I hope Sonia relocates to a successful location.

buffetbuster
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Sun, 01/5/14 7:14 AM
According to George Motz's twitter feed, Irv's has reopened at 7998 Santa Monica Blvd @Laurel.  Best of luck to Sonia and the rest of the Hong family.

If anyone gets there, please report back! 

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Sun, 01/5/14 8:39 AM
Perhaps EdSails and I can investigate the matter , when I visit him in June.

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4726
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Mon, 01/6/14 8:20 AM
Mar, is the new location any closer to where you live?

Every so often on my way into work I see a car that has a license plate that reads "WM N MARY".

EdSails
Re:Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood, 63 years old, forced to close on Friday - Mon, 01/6/14 11:53 AM
Poverty Pete

Perhaps EdSails and I can investigate the matter , when I visit him in June.

I may have to reconnoiter before then. Wouldn't want to take you on a wild goose [burger] chase.  
<message edited by EdSails on Mon, 01/6/14 11:54 AM>