Concession window question

cajam124
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
Concession window question - Sat, 11/2/13 4:39 PM
Hello,
My partner and I have a 1998 Grumman 16' step van that we're converting into a food truck.  Regarding the window: do I need a mull bar considering our desired window width of 6' (and height of 3')?
Thanks!

Midnights
  • Total Posts : 188
Re:Concession window question - Sat, 11/2/13 8:51 PM
That depends. You might need one if you plan on taking two windows from Lowes or HomeDepot and retrofitting them into your opening. They do make 6'x3' windows specifically for food trucks that don't require a mull bar. Here are two on eBay:
http : // www . ebay . com/itm/Concession-Window-Trailer-Food-Truck-Serving-Window-SIX-FOOT-/111191258658
http : // www . ebay . com/itm/Concession-Window-W-Glass-and-Screen-6-FOOT-/111204620439

cajam124
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Concession window question - Mon, 11/4/13 6:30 PM
Thanks Midnights for your reply.  I talked with my business partner today.  We decided on a two-window system (with mull bar separator); each window measing 48" height and 36" width for a total width of 72".  Each window has one pane that slides. My two questions are:
1) at what height from the ground is best for the bottom of the service window? (for best serving customers at their level)
2) is it best to buy windows that open from bottom to top? or slide open from side to side?

Thanks!

fishscale28
  • Total Posts : 224
Re:Concession window question - Mon, 11/4/13 11:39 PM
Its a matter of preference for up or down and side to side...I'm tall and all my equipment is at least 36" on the inside of the truck so I had to put the windows 36" up from the floor inside the truck.  Works ok BUT its a bit high for anyone standing outside the truck...or anyone who is short.  I like it because it fits for me and because I can easily lean over the equipment and reach, etc. but its a stretch for anyone who isn't tall.  If you're not planning on putting coolers, etc in front of the windows and are just going with countertops then I'd definitely try and get them as low and reachable from the ground as you're comfortable with.  Remember though-the lower they are the more of an awkward reach and challenge it will be for you.  Likewise the taller they are.  

Mine slide side to side and it is tall...but its manageable for me and the guests