Posting pics on RF

ROHfan
  • Total Posts : 89
  • Reward points : 0
Posting pics on RF - Sat, 11/2/13 4:47 PM
Is there some way of posting a pic other than to link to a url? I have a few pics on my desktop but I can't believe there isn't a way of just uploading them. Or am I missing something?

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
Re:Posting pics on RF - Sat, 11/2/13 5:17 PM
ROHfan

Is there some way of posting a pic other than to link to a url? I have a few pics on my desktop but I can't believe there isn't a way of just uploading them. Or am I missing something?

Here you go:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Posting-Pictures-A-How-To-m322596.aspx

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
Re:Posting pics on RF - Sat, 11/2/13 5:32 PM
You're missing nothing. Hosting photos takes a lot of server space that many independent message boards do not have or desire because of cost. With so many hosting sources there is not a lot of need to though there are some message boards that do have hosting but many you have to go through the motion separately to upload and then use the BBC codes to link into a message, thus no step savings. EGullet was one of those. There are also some boards that allow you to upload to a message directly like Chow.com (Chowhound) and PizzaMaking.com. However, they are limited to how many photos per message and you can't format them within your text in that they behave like attachments at the end of a message.

So here you have to reference link through BBC code from a photo hosting service or actually any source web photo url address on the Internet. So in effect you can link just about any photo with a url address that ends in .jpg and I think .gif and .png and bracket them between the BBC Codes [img][/img]. There are a lot of free hosting services. I think Photobucket.com is one of the easiest to use. The most popular is Flickr. You can also link from photos in your Facebook and Twitter accounts (or anyone else's for that matter).

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Posting pics on RF - Sat, 11/2/13 5:45 PM
Michael Hoffman

ROHfan

Here you go:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Posting-Pictures-A-How-To-m322596.aspx

Buffetbuster's brief, simple post (#5) on the thread Mr. Hoffman gave you did the trick for me.

ROHfan
  • Total Posts : 89
Re:Posting pics on RF - Sat, 11/2/13 6:01 PM
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll sign up for Photobucket.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Posting pics on RF - Sat, 11/2/13 7:41 PM
ROHfan

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll sign up for Photobucket.

Yes, please do.  We LOVE pics on RF!

Since posting his first pic from photobucket August 17, 2007 buffetbuster has become a true PPPP (Prolific Pic Posting Pittsburgher) much to the delight and edification of us all.  (Thanks, Cliff!).

Following his photobucket tip, here is my first original photo post from a short time ago.  The pics were taken by an iPad Mini.