Hot!Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is)

Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
2013/11/03 19:39:14 (permalink)

Wandering Around The Mid State Area (TN that is)

Well, I have been here almost a week and I have only tormented BB a little with my pie adventures so far, and only one burger to speak of, but tomorrow that changes, off to AL and the start of my search for the infamous "slugburger"

However since i am spending some time here in the MID State as they call it round here or "Smashville" when the Preds are playing.  I am trying to AVOID downtown Nashville at all cost this week, why you ask...  The Country Music Awards (CMAs) are at Bridgestone on Wednesday, and there must be a zillion tourists in town.  Broadway was shut down and allowed to become a pedestrian area.

I digress, I got here last Monday evening after a what should have been 4 hour trip turned into a 6 hour trip due to natural gas line rupture, road construction, and BAD detours.

I posted my first stop of the trip over in the PIE, OH MY OH MY thread.
The second stop of the trip was posted in the Search for Nashville's greatest hamburgers thread.
Which leaves me to the rest of the time.

Sunset Family Restaurant here in Lebanon, TN is a very good family run place that is always full fo folk.

Tonight was no different, the special for the day was Country Fried Steak, and while good, I was hankering for some Broasted Chicken.

Now this chicken is wonderful and finger licking good, but to me it needed more pepper inthe coating, still it was tender and juicy.  usually the breast is too dry, but nice this one, it was juicy and wonderful.

Red Jello with fruit

Hushpuppies - hot from the fryer a slight sweet onion flavor

I really want to like their cornbread, but it is too dry and not enough sweet for me

Their home made rolls are much better and was kicking myself for not ordering them instead

Dessert??  of course
WWBBD??

All home made and YUMMY

Today, was spent watching football and chasing a bird around the house, so for dinner I thought about a place my dad said had the best brisket he had ever eaten.

Bar - B - Cuites in Mt Juliet, TN

http://www.bar-b-cutie.com/bbq/about-2/tennessee/tn-mt-juliet/

I tried breakfast here the day before and was not impressed, but breakfast is different than BBQ so i gave them another chance.

The parking lot had a slight smokiness to it even though the restaurant itself is in a BRAND NEW strip mall.  The interior had just  hint of smoke.  I like the color choice and the finish details.

The menu (no pic, use the website) was immense and full of wonderful choices.

I got:
Brunswick Stew
3 Meat Sampler (Brisket, "pulled" Pork, and Smoked Turkey)
Broccoli & Cheese
Mac & Cheese
Fried Corn Bread
Chocolate Hand Pie
Apple Hand Pie

The Bruswick stew was very stew like, nice and thick and yummy, a slight vinegar edge to it, full of meat and veggies

The 3 meat sampler

"pulled" Pork

Brisket & Smoked Turkey

Fried Corn Bread - Hot off the griddle and tasty

Bar - B - Cuties Sauces

and then the drops in order they are lined up with the bottles

Mild Sauce - Very timid and bland

Sweet Sauce - Smokey and sweet (think KC Masterpiece)

Tennessee Fire - Sweet & Sour meets Carolina Vinegar

Hot Sauce - Trying to be cute with the heat and ended with heat and no flavor

Carolina Mustard - it was mustard based

All in all was a decent meal, if not quite temp warm enough, the meats were good, but the "pulled" pork needed sauce, the other meats did not they tasted like smokey candy.  YUMMM

But the WINNER of the day and trip thus far...

Fried Apple Hand Pie

The crust was light and flaky, the filling was fresh not canned crapped, the apple were tenderwithout being mushy and the perfect balance of sweet to tart to cinnamonny

the came time for...

Fried Chocolate Hand Pie

A very nice home made chocolate filling, dark and yummy and HOT!

(eat your heart out Cliff)

More to come, tomorrow brings...

Be very very quiet were searching for slugs

post edited by CajunKing - 2013/11/03 19:43:00

31 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1